Assetto Corsa Competizione | Pre-season Testing @ Silverstone

davejm

Just did my first laps in this car, its interesting to say the least, no TC is tricky coming down the mountain. I won't be very competitive with my lack of practice  ut hoping I can get up to speed and have some fun battles tonight.

17 minutes ago, EuroVapeSim2 said:

Just did my first laps in this car, its interesting to say the least, no TC is tricky coming down the mountain. I won't be very competitive with my lack of practice  ut hoping I can get up to speed and have some fun battles tonight.

hPYOKqhQUg.png.8066235b98b06a498e1965f3772b489f.png

14 minutes ago, EuroVapeSim2 said:

Ha I never noticed that before 😅

Can we add @Erik motto somewhere to the site. Max wing! High rake! cut every apex!

Sounds sensible. I know @Meers is doing his bit by having it in his signature but it's worth saying again :) 

8 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

Sounds sensible. I know @Meers is doing his bit by having it in his signature but it's worth saying again :) 

It's a philosophy. And not high rake but hit every apex. No wonder you're so slow, @EuroVapeSim2😜

19 hours ago, milko said:

Congrats on the rare “set a faster time than @Erik” accolade, @winky. Another marathon total of laps there. 

Thank you! - having lots of fun right now. There is a 2:04 in there but just beyond my ability I suspect. My most recent fastest lap I lost  half a second on the last two turns, which should be straightforward, but the green excitement got to me :P

image.png

haha I know that feeling but about 1.5s slower while I'm getting there.

I watched a video on youtube of someone doing it in 2.02, which seems nuts - the guy appeared to have traction where I simply do not.

I have had a horrible day's work and it's possible I will prove to be too knackered to deal with Mount Panorama - I will do my best to stay out of everybody's way and if it looks like it's going shamefully I'll quietly withdraw :)

(on the other hand, sometimes the nights where I feel like just getting the game loaded is a challenge have sometimes been the ones I do well in)

It's this one, lest I be thought of as hiding secret knowledge:

he's using a CDA setup but I can't imagine they've changed so much?

Congrats to Paul, Gaz and Al on the 1-2-3 for this championship! You guys were too fast for me. 4th though, and not too far behind.

That was some really good racing last night, enjoyed the track-car combo massively. I think we should do a whole championship with those cars! 😅

Cillian, don't worry about our clash early in race 1. I was losing control at exactly the same time and manner as you, nothing either of us could have done to avoid hitting each other (apart from not hitting the throttle too early that is, haha!). Gutted to see you were too damaged to carry on. Made a massive tit of myself in the downhill section at some point, messing my suspension up as well. Feels like you're inside a pinball machine once you lose it on this track.

I'm done with the graphical fiddling as well. The game runs brilliantly now with great graphics and performance (60fps during a night race, what?!). 😄

For next week, may I propose doing a couple of races in Nascar Heat 5 together? It came with the AMS2 offer, could be a great larf.

Well done @winky! Much deserved, you're way too quick for me. Felt (a little bit) bad stealing the 2nd race win from you on the last lap.   :ph34r:

Quietly pleased with managing 2x25 min races round there without putting it in the wall - couldn't do that in practice.

It's a great car/track combo for battling against your own fastest times, but I don't think it's a good track for actual racing. There are only a couple of overtaking points and attempting something over the mountain always ends up with slightly different shaped cars. I remember watching one of the Bathurst 1000 Aussie races there years ago and the commentators were talking live to one of the drivers who said quite loudly "This is bloody dangerous!". I was thinking that all last night :) 

4 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

There are only a couple of overtaking points and attempting something over the mountain always ends up with slightly different shaped cars

or not attempting anything but then the car in front loses control and then there's nowhere to go to avoid it even when you were trying to keep a safe distance! And then a flying Dutchman appears while you're still trying to unblock the funnel.

21 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

It's a great car/track combo for battling against your own fastest times, but I don't think it's a good track for actual racing. There are only a couple of overtaking points and attempting something over the mountain always ends up with slightly different shaped cars. I remember watching one of the Bathurst 1000 Aussie races there years ago and the commentators were talking live to one of the drivers who said quite loudly "This is bloody dangerous!". I was thinking that all last night :) 

Yeah, it's one of the few tracks I deem 'too dangerous for racing' too. I don't know how I survived the endurance race there without any incidents.

18 minutes ago, milko said:

or not attempting anything but then the car in front loses control and then there's nowhere to go to avoid it even when you were trying to keep a safe distance! And then a flying Dutchman appears while you're still trying to unblock the funnel.

I slowed right down because yellow flags, and I saw it on the track map! :blah:

Thing is, there was a gap on the left side from my p.o.v., with you guys sitting on the right hand side. So I tried to go for that gap, but you decided to move into that gap I was going for. Since you knew there was traffic coming, you should have waited until it was clear again to move. Otherwise you would clog up that funnel even more. 😘

It wasn't the only time you tried to kill me on track too. Last corner crash was another one, where you decided to drive across the track while I was passing, almost hitting me. 😜

Thanks everyone. On the second race my concentration went and had a few laps of track limits or wall kissing.

I also think the track is unforgiving and I was really happy to get pole - it means I could concentrate on consistency. Would hate to have been racing at the pace of someone else behind me as the pressure would be too much.

A pitch black night race was a bit of a surprise also, so thanks for that Dave 😜. The first lap was crazy, and terrifying trying to spot braking points. Still easier than blinding sun at Zandvoort I would argue.

1 hour ago, SneakyNinja said:

There are a few horrific crashes there.  The T-bone secondary accident at 7.35 made me wince!  

Sad to see ACC didnt simulate the kangaroo invasions on track! :lol:

10 minutes ago, Meers said:

I slowed right down because yellow flags, and I saw it on the track map! :blah:

Thing is, there was a gap on the left side from my p.o.v., with you guys sitting on the right hand side. So I tried to go for that gap, but you decided to move into that gap I was going for. Since you knew there was traffic coming, you should have waited until it was clear again to move. Otherwise you would clog up that funnel even more. 😘

It wasn't the only time you tried to kill me on track too. Last corner crash was another one, where you decided to drive across the track while I was passing, almost hitting me. 😜

OK we doing this!

That last corner one was a total fuckup, my wheel had spun about 480 degrees and I had not 'decided' to drive across the track but the car started moving that way when I thought it would go straight! I think it's a situation where the VR hat can be a negative because it's hard to be sure what the hardware just did if you have a big smash and let go of the wheel. Thank goodness I didn't actually hit you, I should've just teleported to pits and taken the big penalty I guess (that's what I did straight after), until you move a bit it's hard to know how messed up the car will be.

On the one in the mountain I didn't actually know how close you were, bad situational awareness from me in the dark I suppose - I'd moved out of the way (hence you seeing a gap) and then thought I had chance to go and detangle from Cillian. I still think on that corner if you see yellow flags you have to go even slower or there's a chance of disaster because you don't get any room for mistakes or time to see around the wall. But yes I accept the fault is mine.

I didn't even know I was fighting! I never meant to sound accusing when I asked about seeing the yellows in the first place, just got t-boned pretty hard so I was curious. Anyway, bags I get to be mum.

50 minutes ago, milko said:

I didn't even know I was fighting! I never meant to sound accusing when I asked about seeing the yellows in the first place, just got t-boned pretty hard so I was curious. Anyway, bags I get to be mum.

Richard Meermum :quote:

8 minutes ago, milko said:

OK we doing this!

:lol: Handbags!

That last corner one was a total fuckup, my wheel had spun about 480 degrees and I had not 'decided' to drive across the track but the car started moving that way when I thought it would go straight! I think it's a situation where the VR hat can be a negative because it's hard to be sure what the hardware just did if you have a big smash and let go of the wheel. Thank goodness I didn't actually hit you, I should've just teleported to pits and taken the big penalty I guess (that's what I did straight after), until you move a bit it's hard to know how messed up the car will be.

Fair enough. I slowed down a bit but then realised if I didn't floor it (and swerve all the way to the right), I would have hit you. 😅

On the one in the mountain I didn't actually know how close you were, bad situational awareness from me in the dark I suppose - I'd moved out of the way (hence you seeing a gap) and then thought I had chance to go and detangle from Cillian. I still think on that corner if you see yellow flags you have to go even slower or there's a chance of disaster because you don't get any room for mistakes or time to see around the wall. But yes I accept the fault is mine.

1 hour ago, milko said:

I never meant to sound accusing when I asked about seeing the yellows in the first place, just got t-boned pretty hard so I was curious.

I was actually teasing (not accusing) you earlier, but I'll record a bit of the replay tonight to see what actually happened, so the stewards can decide if you want. I slowed right down (I was in 2nd gear already due to that kink), but it was pure coincidence that you moved forward whilst I was trying to pass through the gap that was still there when I decided to go for it.

No hard feelings, Mike. Was just rattling your chain a bit. 😘

18 minutes ago, Meers said:

so the stewards can decide if you want

honestly I’d like to put this entire week behind me, race and all! Bleurgh. 

• davejm changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione | Pre-season Testing @ Silverstone