Assetto Corsa Competizione | Pre-season Testing @ Silverstone

davejm

Oh no @milko 😔

So the random dude was an SGP random then?  I opened up the community and race registration a while back (with a view to getting new members) and then put some info in the 'about' page on the hope people would join the forum.

25 minutes ago, davejm said:

Oh no @milko 😔

So the random dude was an SGP random then?  I opened up the community and race registration a while back (with a view to getting new members) and then put some info in the 'about' page on the hope people would join the forum.

Yes. He wasn't too bad, but a bit of naivety in close racing, led him to clatter @Valver early doors race 1 and rear end 2 of us due to insufficient braking in corners elsewhere.  Lets see if he rocks up next week. 

I'm aware of the irony of me posting this :)

2 hours ago, mrben09 said:

Just noticed in the race 2 vid our Mr Interloper also managed to catch Gary up the harris as well. 

Yeah, I wasn't impressed with his 'racecraft' to be honest. A few times he chopped across me having messed up a corner forcing me to brake to avoid contact.

In retrospect I should have probably held my ground as it'd most likely spin him around, but I instinctively avoided contact.

Shame my headset ran out of juice too, despite racing one-eyed ;)  (First time I've had range anxiety when sim racing :) )

2 hours ago, mrben09 said:

early doors

I know that it means 'early on', but who came up with expressions like this?! What can be early when it comes to doors?

Great racing last night. I was in 2nd place in race 1, but one of my tyres grabbed a high kerb at some point and sent me on a wobble, losing my place to @winky.

I slightly hit @SneakyNinja 'early boots' in race 2 (so sorry mate), but he recovered quickly. But unfortunately our random guest thought it was a good idea to not "leave-a da space" and cut towards the apex with Garry and I still on his left side (right after the aforementioned issue). Caused me to spin off and end up way behind Ben in 7th. I managed to crawl back to 4th in the end , which took me quite a lot of effort. But the fact that I managed that made it still a great race for me.

40 minutes ago, davejm said:

Yeah, might be worth changing the registration back so that it requires manual approval.  Not that we've really been inundated with randoms, mind!

I think it's more a case of informing them beforehand that they should be very respectful of others on track as that's how we roll. I'd rather not lock the door to our league.

3 minutes ago, Meers said:

I know that it means 'early on', but who came up with expressions like this?! What can be early when it comes to doors?

Ok, this maybe be bollocks but the consensus is...... Way back when (probably only 30 years ago) , pubs used to shut in the afternoon. They would reopen late afternoon, by unlocking the doors, so you could grab a beer "early doors" .

29 minutes ago, mrben09 said:

Ok, this maybe be bollocks but the consensus is...... Way back when (probably only 30 years ago) , pubs used to shut in the afternoon. They would reopen late afternoon, by unlocking the doors, so you could grab a beer "early doors" .

See, stuff like this is why someone's never really done learning English as a non-native speaker. I mean I've got the basics pretty well covered, I can be fairly 'fluent' in speaking and writing (even delved into Cockney rhyming slang for a bit), but I keep stumbling into new slang like this one.

Keep 'em coming though!

5 hours ago, mrben09 said:

Just noticed in the race 2 vid our Mr Interloper also managed to catch Gary up the harris as well. 

No context here. What does this mean? Did he catch up with Gaz or did he caught him off guard? Or did they touch (Martin)?

Yeah gave it a go last night, lovely car but I need to mind my heavy foot. The lack of TC isn't too big of an issue with the 992 though once you get used to it.

30 minutes ago, davejm said:

Same here.  Slowly got to grips with it at the end of the stint, then put it in the wall when I started to push :D  Need to be very gentle on slow corner exit.

I was having it swap ends under braking too.  Bocht 10, and Hans Ernst Bocht in particular. I'm used to being able to turn while lightly on the brakes, but this car - straight line braking only for me it would seem.  And that makes me so sloooow

image.png.fcffb68c9110369a72bbb5c6044d852c.png

I found it really sensitive to mistakes whilst trail braking.  If you're not 100% smooth with the trail off, it's easy to fly off the track.  But if you don't commit to that late braking and trail properly, you lose so much time.  I guess that's the nature of these low downforce cars where weight transfer is key.

13 hours ago, davejm said:

I found it really sensitive to mistakes whilst trail braking.  If you're not 100% smooth with the trail off, it's easy to fly off the track.  But if you don't commit to that late braking and trail properly, you lose so much time.  I guess that's the nature of these low downforce cars where weight transfer is key.

I've no trouble during trail braking myself, but I'm still too abrupt on the throttle sometimes. I'm still struggling with the exits out of bocht 9 and 10 for instance. I think I have to take a more shallow line through them in order to straighten the steering wheel out earlier. And go easier on the throttle.

Despite it being a Dutch track, I have a love-hate relationship with it. Love the layout, but I'm so bloody shit at it it's unbelievable.

It’s a great track, two problems for me: hitting the bump before Bocht 10 while still braking and cutting too much kerb at Hans Ernst Bocht and bouncing the car.

When you hook up a lap though it’s really great fun.

I'm not very fast in this car but it's the most connected I've ever felt to driving in this game. You really can feel the car moving about under you and play with the throttle on exit to control/instigate oversteer.  And it really does force you to go easy on the loud pedal and trail brake properly. Love it. (Crap at it, but love it!)

I predict numerous incidents in the race, especially given the cold tyres and how one excessive Tokyo Drift can overheat the rears for ages. 

...let me just get this right - this Thursday we are racing these unruly beasts in a 20 min sprint at Zandvoort, and then immediately doing another qually session and 20 min sprint at Bathurst?

It's going to be carnage!

(cant wait! :wub:)

7 minutes ago, Valver said:

...let me just get this right - this Thursday we are racing these unruly beasts in a 20 min sprint at Zandvoort, and then immediately doing another qually session and 20 min sprint at Bathurst?

It's going to be carnage!

(cant wait! :wub:)

No the plans have changed now.  We've extended the season by another week, so Bathurst will be next week.  So two weeks in this beast :D

EDIT: Have adjusted the SGP events to reflect the change

Blimey. I did a 25 min practice race against the AI, and it's impossible to not overheat the rears.  Had to be reeeeeeally gentle on the last few laps.

And, it uses suspiciously little fuel, but my sums might be wrong. Started with 45L and had 19L left at the end.

• davejm changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione | Pre-season Testing @ Silverstone