Assetto Corsa Competizione | Pre-season Testing @ Silverstone

davejm

27 minutes ago, Meers said:

Ha! Excellent solution mate, cheers! I'll grab some Duplo© bricks (they don't play with Lego just yet) and build something similar. So that's why they're calling it a 'build'! 😅

I actually have a spare anti sag perspex bracket that came with my GPU that I dont use.  PM me if you want it and I'll see what I can sort out.  Might cost more to post to you than its worth though!

image.thumb.png.fee79125e359751a850ce1a134b9d0e0.png

edit:  The RTX logo can be peeled off if you dont want it on there - its just a sticker

edit2:  @Meers I went back and changed my previous post with  info on sim dash and wifi - and I see you've quoted the post from before I changed it...  hate for you to miss out :hug:

29 minutes ago, Valver said:

edit2:  @Meers I went back and changed my previous post with  info on sim dash and wifi - and I see you've quoted the post from before I changed it...  hate for you to miss out :hug:

Ah I see it, check!

1 hour ago, Valver said:

The phone dash app (simhub?) will work regardless of whether your PC is wired or on wifi.  The phone and the PC just need to be on the same LAN. It's likely the phone app's IP/port settings aren't set up to match what the new PC is broadcasting on.  I dont have wifi on my PC and I can get it to work fine (although I no longer use it because "VR")

It's the Sim Dashboard one (from Stryder IT) in my case. They are on the same LAN I reckon (same router). I entered the IP from my phone in the PC app but it didn't pick it up. I'll have another look at it then. Would be a shame if I can't use it anymore indeed.

29 minutes ago, Valver said:

I actually have a spare anti sag perspex bracket that came with my GPU that I dont use.  PM me if you want it and I'll see what I can sort out.  Might cost more to post to you than its worth though!

image.thumb.png.fee79125e359751a850ce1a134b9d0e0.png

edit:  The RTX logo can be peeled off if you dont want it on there - its just a sticker

Ah that makes it look neat. Plus if it can read I can maybe trick it into being an RTX3070! 🤣

I'll have a look in my case to see if I can mount it in there, or if it fits a GTX type card. I'll get back to you.

Have I already mentioned how amazeballs the graphics look now compared to the laptop? I think it runs at 50-55fps with everything maxed out @2560x1440. It's not completely smooth though, but it's definitely an massive improvement! Still have to tune some things (overclocking GPU, trying FSR, tinker with other settings etc) which will take me another week I reckon.

I managed to get an easy 60fps lock with settings that looked indistinguishable from max at 1440p (when I had my non ultrawide monitor), so a bit of tweaking and you'll get there :)

2 hours ago, davejm said:

I managed to get an easy 60fps lock with settings that looked indistinguishable from max at 1440p (when I had my non ultrawide monitor), so a bit of tweaking and you'll get there :)

image.png.38ebf718d069ecdd5f2c72908bb0c2cf.png

I'm on it!

Actually, my old monitor was 1080p; but I think I was still using my 1070 when I got my 1440p ultrawide for a while.  So whilst it might not be maxed out to get 60fps, I think with FSR and performance improvements for the game I reckon it'll still look great.

@Valver Don't suppose you have auto save replays turned on and could upload your lap?  Really struggling to learn the track and know how to take the turns and can't find a reference lap online anywhere.

you're only 0.6 off his pace already, don't be too hard on yourself!

They've finally put walls and a door on my 'office space', I wonder if I can start setting up in there tonight and get back in the game...

43 minutes ago, milko said:

you're only 0.6 off his pace already, don't be too hard on yourself!

They've finally put walls and a door on my 'office space', I wonder if I can start setting up in there tonight and get back in the game...

I thought the gap was bigger.  I turned the game off in frustration, cause after setting that lap time I found myself a second down without knowing how or why.  My average time is still over a second slower.  I just can't get any flow to practice at all.

1 hour ago, davejm said:

@Valver Don't suppose you have auto save replays turned on and could upload your lap?  Really struggling to learn the track and know how to take the turns and can't find a reference lap online anywhere.

I do and I still have it - want me to share the actual replay file itself? It's 11Mbs.  I can chuck it on my NAS and PM you a link?

49 minutes ago, Valver said:

I do and I still have it - want me to share the actual replay file itself? It's 11Mbs.  I can chuck it on my NAS and PM you a link?

Thanks for the file mate.  I gave it a watch and I don't think I was being aggressive enough; so just done some more laps and could get a bit closer to your time.

19 hours ago, davejm said:

Actually, my old monitor was 1080p; but I think I was still using my 1070 when I got my 1440p ultrawide for a while.  So whilst it might not be maxed out to get 60fps, I think with FSR and performance improvements for the game I reckon it'll still look great.

Well did the benchmark last night. Everything's on Epic setting except for some effects setting which are now on High. Volumetric fog is off. I can even switch on contact shadows and TAA gen5 and still have 80fps @1440p. V-synch locks the framerate to 60 (I got screen tearing) and lowers the frametime to 9ms! Framerate never drops below 60, even in a 30 car online lobby.

Can't believe the trackside detail and lighting, what a difference! So happy with the new hardware! 

8 minutes ago, davejm said:

That's brilliant @Meers!!  Really pleased that it's come together in the end :)  And that the trusty 1070 is out for another stint!!

Finally indeed! Thank you again for the opportunity to take it off your hands. Compared to a 1050 mobile, the 1070 is a beast. I'm also very impressed by the CPU, it's a BMW M4 GT3 compared to the Lada that is the i5 7300 in my laptop.

I think I'm ready to use the PC for tomorrow's race even! Everything's up and running (bar the phone app due to lack of time).

2 minutes ago, milko said:

But can it do sunrise/set at Nurbz?!

Oh that's something I'd like to test next! 😆

Just had a practice, nice car! Quite wobbly on the braking, so you can't change brake balance on these? Tomorrow I finish a 12h day at 7pm, it might be enough time to run home, get some food and join for the race but there's a chance it might overrun or I'll be too tired... I'll try anyways! 

@SANtoOos it auto adjusts the brake bias as you drive, apparently! Don't forget to register for the event if you think there's a chance you'll make it. Nice to see you on the track today!

This car is very funny, my main learning has been "Brake earlier. No, earlier than that! Earlier...". Or "No not foot down yet! Wait.... wait. Wait longer". Loads of understeer until you're dropping through the gears and suddenly it wants to oversteer instead. Nevertheless, going by the rllmuk-racing leaderboards tonight I might not be all that bad at it if I can keep from breaking track limits, and stop powersliding around Beausset. My guess is "no I cannot".

Meanwhile, I have finally managed to set up my rig! And soon I'll have to undo it all when we get the plastering and whatnot going on in here. I had an unexpected bonus of being able to move the monitor out towards the seat as well, so I suppose I've a pancake option now and I can learn all that FOV stuff. 

PXL_20220406_195454212.MP-med.jpg

Nice setup, Mikey! I see you're using footwear, so here's an awkward question; are they specially bought for sim racing or is that your everyday slipper? I'm a yoga socks user myself, but I'm looking for some fashionable slippers with very thin soles for sim racing.

31 minutes ago, Meers said:

Nice setup, Mikey! I see you're using footwear, so here's an awkward question; are they specially bought for sim racing or is that your everyday slipper? I'm a yoga socks user myself, but I'm looking for some fashionable slippers with very thin soles for sim racing.

Lol, those are some of Marks and Spencer's finest. I tend to prefer barefoot actually but it's been too cold lately :)

20 minutes ago, mrben09 said:

Enjoy tonight lads, I have a date with some French gentlemen in Stratford East London ! #COYI 

Cheers Ben, good luck to the Irons (or Hammers!) !!

7 hours ago, Meers said:

Holy shit.

I've found myself subconsciously avoiding looking at the timesheets recently as I get grumpy when I think I'm doing ok and find I'm a timezone behind.

All about the racing baby!

I wish racing was about banging in a colossal number of laps and just finding the one miracle one where everything held together for long enough, I might be quite good sometimes :)

I might try Project 95% tonight, but the Ferrari's so amusing I can't confidently say I've much chance of succeeding. And in Paul Ricard Carpark it's really easy for me to drop concentration and overshoot the braking point in a couple of places.

36 minutes ago, SANtoOos said:

Thanks will probs miss quali but should be there for a least the second race

Nice one, hope to see you later :)  Be sure to register before the server starts at 7pm

I've set the server start time to 19:45 as not sure when I'll be able to get on, and not sure when other folk would be around.  So if you do get on earlier just use the practice server as that's still running.

• davejm changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione | Pre-season Testing @ Silverstone