Assetto Corsa Competizione | Pre-season Testing @ Silverstone

davejm

We had a 12h endurance race again this weekend. I'm normally in team BMW M4 2022, but due to Erik being unavailable at the last minute I volunteered to join the Bentley ('Boatley') crew.

Team 'OP Beamer' qualified 1st and finished first as well after having had some trouble (they dropped down to 17th I think at some point). Great driving from them!

Team 'Boating Accident' unfortunately qualified 35th, but we finished 27th. They crashed the car in the first two stints of the race which cost us a lot of time to repair, back on track we were dead last. I did two double stints (2 hours - stint 3 and 4) and barely had any time to get used to the car beforehand (did a couple of test laps on Friday evening and before my first stint on Saturday). The Bentley has a tendency to suddenly lose grip under turning if you brake too hard (making trail braking a bit hard), so I spun a couple of times. One moment you think "this is going rather nicely" and the next you'll lose grip and control. It's not the car for me, but I would drive it again now that I'm familiar with its characteristics.

I had a lot of scraps for position and despite my spin-outs I could keep up with race pace quite well. Due to a 3x track cut warning that I inherited from one of my team mates I received a DT when I cut the track at the end of my stint (I was so close finishing my stint cleanly!). I fucked up once when entering the pits (yes, pitstop woes again) during my second double stint. I had the right speed, but for some reason I thought I hadn't hit the pit limiter button hard enough (the 'P' button is a very stiff button to press, as fellow McLaren GT3 rim users will know), so in a slight panic I pressed it twice, disabling the pit limiter again. I had my foot back down on the throttle again at that point so I went over the 50km/h limit and received a SG30. FFS! So I had gained a couple of positions at that point, but could hand all that progress back in again so I ended my stint in the same position as I started it in. :doh:

My bionic knee was hurting afterwards from all the braking, and I has a slight headache because my framerate started chopping again due to the sun setting (returning issue) during my 3rd and 4th stint. When it got darker the framerate got a bit better but it wasn't as smooth as before which was a bit of an eye strain after a while. The other lads (from France and UK) were taking care of the final 4 hours of the race thankfully.

But it was fun though! 😅

Framerates ! .Ah yes. I know there was something I meant to mention last Thursday.

I have been running my PC with an appropriated 1080 for the last month. I have pretty much everything turned up and it looks amazing.  Then we had the night race last week. Amazing doesn't justify it, just incredible. ! This was some of the reason I was spinning out a bit to begin with , I was spending to much time not looking at the track !

Now I have a 3070ti in my house, so looking forward to getting that in and working. 

14 minutes ago, Meers said:

Ha it even shows out little conversation. Great work, Dave!

Yep!  I was surprised to see that the server logs show this.  Trying to extract lap time info but the server log doesn't always output consistently (whereas the JSON files that get generated after a session do) :(   But that'll do for now.  I just thought it was cool being able to see if anyone was currently on.

Not that any of this really matters.  :D It's just a cool little project for me.

6 minutes ago, Meers said:

Can't wait to see the drivers page! (hint hint)

Haha that's the most work :D  And I'm not entirely sure how to structure it at the moment.

Was just on the server with the guys, and it doesn't look like the log file refreshes in real time :(  So the new page is kinda pointless :D

EDIT:  Ah it does, just a transfer/FTP issue.  I think related to permissions.

mmm... the ACC server just doesn't consistently write the log file.  Nothing to do with permissions.  I'll just disable this page, it's never going to be reliable :(

Well that's unfortunate. 😕

17 hours ago, davejm said:

Haha that's the most work :D  And I'm not entirely sure how to structure it at the moment.

What do you have in mind for it so far?

29 minutes ago, Meers said:

What do you have in mind for it so far?

The obvious choice was having a grouping of all the lap records, with that being the data captured from the results files.  But it feels a bit pointless, because qualifying and race times are being logged by SGP with no automatic way of retrieving them.  I then thought about having a log-in feature (linked to Steam) so that people are add their own records; but there is an in-game lap records screen anyway.  So again, maybe a bit pointless.

The other thing I could do is a summary table of some sort (total laps driven, valid/cut lap totals, consistency); but we're in diminishing returns now when it comes to the amount of work involved vs the benefit we'll get.

I could just work on a season results page instead and pull in the info that @Valver kindly retrieved (league standings, trophy images etc) and have it all on one page as a history of the league.

1 hour ago, davejm said:

The obvious choice was having a grouping of all the lap records, with that being the data captured from the results files.  But it feels a bit pointless, because qualifying and race times are being logged by SGP with no automatic way of retrieving them.  I then thought about having a log-in feature (linked to Steam) so that people are add their own records; but there is an in-game lap records screen anyway.  So again, maybe a bit pointless.

The other thing I could do is a summary table of some sort (total laps driven, valid/cut lap totals, consistency); but we're in diminishing returns now when it comes to the amount of work involved vs the benefit we'll get.

I could just work on a season results page instead and pull in the info that @Valver kindly retrieved (league standings, trophy images etc) and have it all on one page as a history of the league.

Is there a way to grab the personal in-game stats of each one of us? basically the info found in the 'Driver' option on the game's main menu.

24 minutes ago, Meers said:

Is there a way to grab the personal in-game stats of each one of us? basically the info found in the 'Driver' option on the game's main menu.

Nope.  There's no way of getting anything out of the game itself.  The information I'm dragging out at the moment is from the 'ACC dedicated server' app which is a different application in Steam; which runs when you set up a server.

59 minutes ago, EuroVapeSim2 said:

Repeating it tomorrow will be the real challenge, I still struggle with the chicane on a lot of laps.

I know, but still it's a great lap. I threw everything I had into that lap time of mine. I know there's still some time for me to gain (was .4 in the green at a certain moment, but messed up the chicane and lost it again).

It's so easy to invalidate the lap on the first apex or go a bit to far over the curb on the second apex and completely unsettle the car, even getting on throttle just a little too late looses a lot of time up to the hairpin. I'm going to try get on for an hour tonight and really focus on the chicane and overall the last sector. I'm very happy with my lap overall just need to beat Dave's time in the final sector 😀

Think I'll try and get some driving in tonight, starting to feel a bit better now and might be up for Thursday night racing. It is a bit annoying that I was fast on this track but lack of seat time looks like it'll see me back where I usually end up in the pack!

Stop the presses! Mrs Meers spontaneously gave sim racing a go last night!

image.thumb.png.6350011396798178e4f92a314515a275.png

Well...it was more lawn mowing at first, but she became better at it over time. Afraid it was a one-off though. 😅

1 hour ago, spanx said:

Is there any way of playing this with a pad with motion controlled steering?

Not that I know of. Not really sure if this is the kind of racing game that would benefit from motion controls either.

6 minutes ago, Valver said:

I reluctantly have to withdraw from tonight's race.  I've been sick as a doing all day.  🤢

Aw man, shame. Get well soon, hopefully it doesn't strike to too bad!

• davejm changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione | Pre-season Testing @ Silverstone