Assetto Corsa Competizione | Pre-season Testing @ Silverstone

davejm

18 minutes ago, mrben09 said:

Sounded fun, but 50 mins of being way off the pace got a little tedious . 

Ditto.  I was way off the pace tonight.  I plodded round alone for a chunk of race 1 - then binned it badly and had to stop for 40+ seconds of repairs.  I came out right in front of the leaders coming round to lap me.  Panicked, and on cooled tyres tried to get off the racing line at turn two, which lead to a spin onto the infield's grass.  I finished dead last by some margin.  

Race 2 started better, I capitalised on @davejm going wide and @Meers having  laptop issue that resulting in him slowing and going offline - so I popped up to fifth.  But my pace wasn't good enough to keep that, and sure enough a few laps later Dave pulled off a very ahem "bold" move getting up alongside me on the fast left right chicane.  I avoided turning in on him but ended up having to skip across the dust as a result, which slowed me enough that Meers barrelled through too.   

Highlight vids uploading now - I'll post them separately, soon.

I'm not enjoying driving the Aston.   Ho hum - on to the next one

My videos will come tomorrow. Been having trouble with Shadowplay's recording option. Sorted now.

Awesome, awesome racing tonight. Feels so good being able to keep up with race pace, and it also helps that the Nurburgring is one of my favourite tracks. But I should stay off the high kerb on the inside of the right hander leading up to the back straight.

@Valver, I didn't go offline, my game froze for 5 seconds or something before carrying on. Very odd, haven't had that in a while. I just won the first corner, three-wide Mexican stand-off against Dave and Milko too and was in 3rd when that happened. 

Edit: Oh you probably meant that I went off the racing line. :doh:

Epic racing last night guys.  Apologies to @Valver for being overly aggressive and for @milko for the punt in T1 on the last lap; was a frustrating way to have ended the race; but I had so much fun before that with some super close and clean racing.  Awesome stuff.

Here's the leaderboard...

image.thumb.png.4c5ac65af0403a25dd2c0688dae2922a.png

10 hours ago, Valver said:

I'm not enjoying driving the Aston.   Ho hum - on to the next one

If you end up sticking with the Aston, I can send you a bunch of setups as I've been using it for a couple of seasons?

EDIT: But you have to promise not to be quicker than me when using them :) 

Very happy with last nights results. Both were pretty quiet races for me, I had 1 lap in the first race with @texlex45 right on my bumper after you went wide at the Schumacher S and then on the next lap dropped a wheel into gravel, spun and hit the wall, your pace was so much stronger it was only a matter of time until you would've got back past, your unfortune was luck for me and fastest lap as well probably because your car was damaged.

This is the highlights from my race 1, I don't know why the audio is recorded so quietly but no after image now.

Second race apart from @davejm mind games into T1 it was also a quiet race, had no chance to keep up with tex but stayed comfortably ahead of the intense battle behind me.

Here's the first race from my POV. It was uploading my 2nd race as well but it took too long so I went to bed. Discovered this morning that it had failed because the computer had turned off for some reason...

...that reason being mrs Meers, who went to the bathroom in the middle of the night and saw the glow of the laptop in the attic and turned it off. I got told off this morning for having left it on. 😅

Anyway, enjoy this one. It was quite spectacular from where I was sitting. I'll upload the second one tomorrow.

Ah yeah, my damn headset tracking going on the fritz messed up my first race chances. At least it didn't fully disconnect this time so I didn't end up with a disaster like in Kyalami! Just lost quite a few places since we were so closely bunched. I don't know why it's started happening but intermittently it'll suddenly move my head position - a bit like what happens if it goes dark and you don't have lights on - and I have to try and get it back with reset but if you're in corners at the time that means your view isn't straight. Well off-putting!

On a different topic - I just did this weeks race on the Low Fuel Motorsport servers.  It was my first one - and was eye opening.

I qualified 10th out of 16, and finished 10th too, after having been 7th for a good chunk of the race, but got clattered from behind by someone who was fast but erratic.

I felt that was an OK result based on my laptimes.

But my goodness, even on this "sort of not public" server there are some bell ends and entitled drivers.  In Qualifying in particular.   I had a faster driver come up behind me when we were both on valid qually laps, and he was flashing me and weaving about behind and trying to muscle past.  Mate, tough, I'm going as fast as I can, you should've left more gap when you started your run.   

And then when I eased off on the straight to let him past (after I'd finished and got my fastest lap) I had two other guys come flying up behind me (who I  let straight past) but then they were clanging doors, weaving about and nudging each other all the way round the rest of the lap.  Eventually they span each other out just after the first chicane.  Guys - it's qualifying!  Save that shit for the race.  Well actually, save that shit for Destruction Derby.    Honestly.

It makes me appreciate the gentlemen racers of rllmuk SO much more :wub:

@Valver were you in the rookie servers or the sprint ones for that LFM race? I've had some weird experiences in both like that. People flashing lights at me because they are trying to overtake for position in a race, like I'm meant to just yield because they want to be faster than me or something. Incredibly impatient driving seems to be the norm, and I guess in short races you have to try and hurry past but it's well annoying to get caught up in. Between that and getting punted because someone's in front of me at a slow corner, I get pretty turned off doing LFM, but then I'll have a nice smooth race and it all feels good again.

30 minutes ago, Erik said:

Max wing, cut every corner, ride every curb. 😉

19 minutes ago, winky said:

This is my new life motto 🙂

It's the 'Live, Love, Laugh' equivalent for sim racers.

18 minutes ago, Valver said:

[snip]

It makes me appreciate the gentlemen racers of rllmuk SO much more :wub:

Definitely. Sure, there were some mistakes made last night, but none of those were because of entitlement or other unsporting behavior. The trick in sim racing is that you respect and avoid others at all cost.

17 minutes ago, Valver said:

We should get some T-shirts printed of that with the rllmuk logo on them too!

edit:

image.png.8a5cf41a8fa948ee4352108a29f5bc1c.png

You forgot to put the author of the quote on it:

- Erik Mansner

24 minutes ago, Valver said:

We should get some T-shirts printed of that with the rllmuk logo on them too!

edit:

image.png.8a5cf41a8fa948ee4352108a29f5bc1c.png

We should arrange a meet at a GT race and proudly wear these shirts like some sort of nerdy ACC stag event.

13 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

Whilst I was quite happy with my finishing positions this week, and loved the close racing, I was most pleased with my save in race 1 which went unnoticed. 

BROWN ALERT!

Nice!!!  I don't think I've ever managed a save like that.  I don't react that quickly and end up in a spin.  Great job there!

Erik's car in 11th and Meer's car in 21st at the moment, not too bad from field of 40.

I'm watching Boothby and Malinowski at the moment.  Boothby did a 1:54.000 with a full tank and is lapping a second quicker than anyone else (they've lapped second) 😃

• davejm changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione | Pre-season Testing @ Silverstone