Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu

Managed a 1.43.85 at lunchtime, though not sure if I'll maintain that for the hour :D

Racing tonight depends on how my dog reacts to the fireworks. She's a bit deaf now she's older so hopefully wont hear much, but if she freaks out I'll end up with a Labrador lapdog whether I want it or not :)

Well that probably confirms it's time to park ACC for a bit, 1st 3/4 lap was ok then it went downhill after that (hit sausage). Sorry to @Valver, you slowed more than I expected but still  my fault for going into the back of you. Sorry to @mrben09 I think it was but unfortunately I had lost it and was still mid-accident sliding when you came round the bend and hit me, nothing I could do as I was just a passenger at that point. Sorry to @Thorfor just being there lol :).

There's little point in racing if it feels like a chore to practice which it does for me at the moment so I'm going to take a break (and play some other games) until the New Year and perhaps return when the British DLC is released.

Thanks to @davejm for organising and everyone for the great racing, it really is a fantastic group.

9 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

Sorry to @Thorfor just being there lol :).

I had a look at the replay, talk about a rookie mistake from me! Too early on the gas knowing full well you were there. :facepalm:  Just haven't had the form this season, I'm enjoying the racing though. Shame you're not, but I do get what you mean about not wanting to practice, sometimes I'm like ... "nah, can't be bothered". 

Results and Leaderboard

image.png.516921e4d5a494ff07d32acbb935d39d.png

Simsource Results

https://simsource.azurewebsites.net/results/72ha074bfeeb?tab-=practice

https://simsource.azurewebsites.net/results/72ha074bfeeb?tab-=qualifying

https://simsource.azurewebsites.net/results/72ha074bfeeb?tab-=race

Good racing guys.  Was behind @SneakyNinja for almost all of the race, but spun towards the end.  Shame we didn't get to battle a bit closer for the position!  Was fun trying to keep up with you though.  Was interesting to see the points in the lap where you were quicker (after the hair pin for example). Good driving!! :)

Sorry to hear you're not enjoying it @scoobysi , always a shame to lose racers! Hope you'll be back soon. 

Thanks all for tonight, apart from a weak start I'm happy with my driving, couldn't have driven much faster at the race and really enjoyed the battles. Gotta work on those starts, it's just mega stressful on a flat screen with arrows and radars and crewchief creating all that sensory overload PLUS cold tyres and a full tank.

Having said that, without trying to blow my own trumpet too much, that quali lap was probably the best lap I've ever driven, being a bit behind the pace throughout praccie then driving a "perfect" lap (in so far as my own personal limit) . First time in my life it felt I wasn't leaving any time on the table  and did every corner the best I could, it was a pretty exhilarating  feeling!  Jeeezz I sound like f***ing Lewis Hamilton sorryyyy also I wanna thank my fans I got the best fans.

Found some nice screenshots while watching the replay, I owe you guys an updated poster so might use one of these as a background.

rllmuk background 1.jpg

rllmuk background 2.jpg

My qually times were shockingly poor (1.45) compared to my practice pace (1.43) as I never seemed to find clear track.  I was either catching the car ahead of me and having to slow down mid lap, or dropping back to create room and then getting in a tangle with the person behind me on track.  Frustrating and I don't know what I needed to do to fix the situation.

Regardless - started 10th.  Had a reasonable start but got rear ended by @scoobysi (don't worry, I forgive ya!).  I ended up in a multi lap battle with @Meers.  Lots of dicing back and forth - was great. 

At some point in our duel we got caught by the leaders who were lapping us.  I lifted a little to let the leader past (I think it was @SharkyOB?) giving up a bit of ground to Meers, assuming Meers would have to do the same and we'd end up with roughly the same gap.  And then the leader went and pealed off into the pitlane  Damn it - I got properly bamboozled!! :D 

Didn't matter though - I caught Meers up again to the point where he was *just* in front but had to pit before me - so I stayed out, did another two laps by myself and then pitted, only to scream out of the pits and come out right on Meers' bumper again :D

Race highlights:

1 minute ago, Valver said:

At some point in our duel we got caught by the leaders who were lapping us.  I lifted a little to let the leader past (I think it was @SharkyOB?) giving up a bit of ground to Meers, assuming Meers would have to do the same and we'd end up with roughly the same gap.  And then the leader went and pealed off into the pitlane  Damn it - I got properly bamboozled!! :D

Yeah, I'm really sorry about that mate.  Was just really awkward timing as I had to pit that lap, but couldn't really sit behind you as @SANtoOos and @Count Buffalos were both pretty close behind me.

9 hours ago, scoobysi said:

Well that probably confirms it's time to park ACC for a bit, 1st 3/4 lap was ok then it went downhill after that (hit sausage).

There's little point in racing if it feels like a chore to practice which it does for me at the moment so I'm going to take a break

Oh man, what a pity. Hopefully you'll find your ACC mojo again soon. :(

9 hours ago, Mr Majestyk said:

Interesting race, ate the sausage early on but no real impact, then spun out before s bend and yelled noooooo as @Meers came around and we made contact, sorry man but nothing I could do. Then after a couple more incidents had fun chasing down @Valver and @Meers towards the end with another sausage incident to boot. 

I did realise you had spun there as the first corner is a bit blind, so I only saw you standing there when I turned in. I tried to avoid you by going left as there was space, and it did look like I was about to get past but you hit the throttle and put a dent in my door causing me to spin as well. :doh:

No biggie though, shit happens. For me it happens every week though! :facepalm:

We had a great battle and it was clear your car had lots more pace than mine so you deserved 7th place. After last week's Lambo races, it's clear to me that the Ferrari isn't as good as I thought it was. I may rethink my choice for next season and try more different cars when I find some time.

8 hours ago, SANtoOos said:

Jeeezz I sound like f***ing Lewis Hamilton sorryyyy also I wanna thank my fans I got the best fans.

:lol: I'm a fan!

I've got 2 fans to be precise. But they're only there in hot weather.

8 hours ago, Valver said:

I ended up in a multi lap battle with @Meers.  Lots of dicing back and forth - was great. 

Mate, that was brilliant. You kept me on the edge of my (racing) seat that whole stint. I was gutted to see you had disappeared at some point.

Here's a short clip of my replay showing how my game looks and performs now in 1080p60 for anyone who's interested. Most important thing is that it runs well now with a full grid (~60fps with up to 12 cars visible) without any major hiccups. It's around 70-75fps when the field spreads out.

10 minutes ago, Meers said:

I did realise you had spun there as the first corner is a bit blind, so I only saw you standing there when I turned in. I tried to avoid you by going left as there was space, and it did look like I was about to get past but you hit the throttle and put a dent in my door causing me to spin as well. :doh:

Haha aye I was trying to get off the center of the track to let approaching cars pass and realised I'd made a terrible mistake. I'd guessed you'd go wide round the corner and I guessed wrong. My bad!

The Lambo has good pace, but I'm debating the Ferrari for next season as I like a car with a bit more weight behind it! I enjoyed last season more as there was more experimenting with cars on a week to week basis, where this time being stuck with the one car I'm less inclined to practise.

10 hours ago, scoobysi said:

Well that probably confirms it's time to park ACC for a bit, 1st 3/4 lap was ok then it went downhill after that (hit sausage). Sorry to @Valver, you slowed more than I expected but still  my fault for going into the back of you. Sorry to @mrben09 I think it was but unfortunately I had lost it and was still mid-accident sliding when you came round the bend and hit me, nothing I could do as I was just a passenger at that point. Sorry to @Thorfor just being there lol :).

There's little point in racing if it feels like a chore to practice which it does for me at the moment so I'm going to take a break (and play some other games) until the New Year and perhaps return when the British DLC is released.

Thanks to @davejm for organising and everyone for the great racing, it really is a fantastic group.

Really sorry to hear that too mate.  You were super quick last night when I came out after my pitstop, so you've defo still got the pace!  I hope you decide to give it another go soon :)

I had an excellent race. My quali was poor due to traffic then overdriving the car, but them's the breaks I guess. I had a super close starting portion to the race with positions 1-4 being covered by a couple of seconds until @Thor had his accident. I more or less held on to @SANtoOos and @SharkyOB's pace and actually ran a few laps longer in an effort to overcut them. My strategy paid dividends as I exited the pits a couple of seconds ahead of SANtoOoos. We then had an amazing final 15 minutes or so as I tried to defend my position against a clearly faster driver, particularly as my tyres started to cool with the setting sun. I managed to hold on to 2nd, in part due to some very fair driving from him. It was very tense and I don't think I've concentrated as much as I did for a very long time! An amazing race. 

Thanks to the drivers we lapped for being respectful of the battle that was taking place. The communication was really good and we were given plenty of room.

@scoobysi hope you're back soon. Watching the replay you had a bit of a nightmare!

Congrats to SharkyOB for a great drive, quick and super consistent. 

1 hour ago, Meers said:

Mate, that was brilliant. You kept me on the edge of my (racing) seat that whole stint. I was gutted to see you had disappeared at some point.

Yeah, as @Mr Majestyk caught us up, my pace dropped while trying to defend.  I defended for a lap or so, but it was clear he was significantly faster than me and it was just hurting my overall race pace to try and keep him behind, so I let him pass (ahem, sure I did - all part of the plan!)   By then you'd broken free ahead, and simultaneously my brain went off the boil a bit (it's like the pressure was removed after 30 minutes of hard battling and my brain decided to quit concentrating and have a little nap) - resulting in a completely unforced trip across the grass.  And I never managed to get back in contention again...  but it was great fun while it lasted, thanks.

2 hours ago, Meers said:

Really enjoyed watching all those battles in the replay! Sorry @Valver saw on my replay when I passed you I slightly came back onto the racing line at the last minute and you changed your line, didn't mean to stress you out there.

Nice smooth driving on that video @Meers!

@willmill I didn't see you overtaking me after the checkered flag and I accidentally spun you around in a particularly evil and naughty way hope you saw the humour in that, but if you take your post race cool down lap very serious, I'm sorry :lol:

1 hour ago, Count Buffalos said:

@SANtoOos  @SharkyOBIt was very tense and I don't think I've concentrated as much as I did for a very long time! An amazing race. 

@scoobysi

(ignore the tags, my phone can't delete them for some reason) 

Yes, I've only played F1, Project Cars and Dirt Rally and I never experienced this level of concentration, focus and being "in the zone" you can get in a proper sim like ACC, loving this

28 minutes ago, SANtoOos said:

@willmill I didn't see you overtaking me after the checkered flag and I accidentally spun you around in a particularly evil and naughty way hope you saw the humour in that, but if you take your post race cool down lap very serious, I'm sorry :lol:

You probably want to avoid any unnecessary contact as it impacts the Safety Rating (SA), even on cool down laps (I think, although it may have changed).

4 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

You probably want to avoid any unnecessary contact as it impacts the Safety Rating (SA), even on cool down laps (I think, although it may have changed).

:o Didn't know! Very sorry Will, will pay more attention 

14 hours ago, davejm said:

Good racing guys.  Was behind @SneakyNinja for almost all of the race, but spun towards the end.  Shame we didn't get to battle a bit closer for the position!  Was fun trying to keep up with you though.  Was interesting to see the points in the lap where you were quicker (after the hair pin for example). Good driving!! :)

I wondered where you went! I think that's the first time where having someone close behind didn't stress me out enough to cause mistakes. Got into a rhythm driving around and watching the gap to you hover around a second, even though I'm sure you would have caught up before the end.

Thanks for the compliment :) It's funny you mention the hairpin (if you mean the one at the top of the hill) as I never felt like I did that properly. Like pretty much every corner really!

Also, I wasn't being an antisocial sod last night, honest! Discord seemed to have decided my mic wasn't going to work part way through the race, again. Usually leaving the channel and joining again sorts it but that's hard to do during a race.

And to echo comments by others, that was some great racing. Really good to be part of a group who whilst having mixed pace across the members, all try to race fair. It's great!

11 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

I wondered where you went! I think that's the first time where having someone close behind didn't stress me out enough to cause mistakes. Got into a rhythm driving around and watching the gap to you hover around a second, even though I'm sure you would have caught up before the end.

Thanks for the compliment :) It's funny you mention the hairpin (if you mean the one at the top of the hill) as I never felt like I did that properly. Like pretty much every corner really!

Also, I wasn't being an antisocial sod last night, honest! Discord seemed to have decided my mic wasn't going to work part way through the race, again. Usually leaving the channel and joining again sorts it but that's hard to do during a race.

And to echo comments by others, that was some great racing. Really good to be part of a group who whilst having mixed pace across the members, all try to race fair. It's great!

I made a bit of a mistake in my pitstop too.  I've been practicing manual engine starts, which saves you time if you get it right; but I didn't start the engine quick enough when they dropped me so I lost a few seconds.  I think I'd have come out a bit closer if not ahead if I were to get that right.

I'm really bad at the hairpin, so I guess we both struggle there.  I'm never quite sure where to place the car for maximum grip, and coming out of the corner I always feel like the car is going to spin out.  So I tend to feather the throttle on corner exit, and I feel I'm not carrying enough speed into the long straight.

I wasn't really on it at all yesterday though.  I'd do a low 1:43 and close the gap, then do a 1:45/46 and fall away.  No consistency.  So you were always a little out of reach.  We're only a point away from each other in the standings now too :)  We're definitely very close in terms of pace.

42 minutes ago, davejm said:

I'm really bad at the hairpin, so I guess we both struggle there.  I'm never quite sure where to place the car for maximum grip, and coming out of the corner I always feel like the car is going to spin out.

I take it in first gear, full throttle out with TC on 6. You'd think it will drift, but it doesn't. Short shift to 2nd gear and Bob's your uncle.

3 minutes ago, Meers said:

I take it in first gear, full throttle out with TC on 6. You'd think it will drift, but it doesn't. Short shift to 2nd gear and Bob's your uncle.

1st gear and then a short shift for me too, but I didn't always have the confidence for full throttle.  Was running a much lower TC though (2 or 3).  Didn't think to adjust that during practice :facepalm:

1 hour ago, davejm said:

1st gear and then a short shift for me too, but I didn't always have the confidence for full throttle.  Was running a much lower TC though (2 or 3).  Didn't think to adjust that during practice :facepalm:

Yeah, as much as I'd like to play with a race car's power in other (less-simmy) games, I'd rather tone it down in this one with moar TC. Can't have those heavy-foot fuckups (even though I'm very smooth)!

1 hour ago, davejm said:

I made a bit of a mistake in my pitstop too.  I've been practicing manual engine starts, which saves you time if you get it right; but I didn't start the engine quick enough when they dropped me so I lost a few seconds.  I think I'd have come out a bit closer if not ahead if I were to get that right.

I'm really bad at the hairpin, so I guess we both struggle there.  I'm never quite sure where to place the car for maximum grip, and coming out of the corner I always feel like the car is going to spin out.  So I tend to feather the throttle on corner exit, and I feel I'm not carrying enough speed into the long straight.

I wasn't really on it at all yesterday though.  I'd do a low 1:43 and close the gap, then do a 1:45/46 and fall away.  No consistency.  So you were always a little out of reach.  We're only a point away from each other in the standings now too :)  We're definitely very close in terms of pace.

Everything on auto for me - engine, lights, wipers. Takes 101% of my concentration just getting round the track. Sounds like I do the same thing as you at the hairpin. For me the issue is where to brake. As it's on the crest of the hill, being too early or late seems to be exaggerated. My fastest times seem to come from 'Driving with Bob Ross' rather than wringing the cars neck and I still find 3 tenths in one corner occasionally with no idea what I did differently.

One point gap eh? Oooh, does that mean we're 'rivals' on track now? Sounds like a Codemasters game :) 

6 hours ago, SANtoOos said:

:o Didn't know! Very sorry Will, will pay more attention 

Don't worry about it - my SA actually went up 2 points in that race and it also opened up the competition rating. Was a good race, at the start was with Meers and Valver until I hit the wall spinning out of turn 3 - twice in 3 laps, then pitted and had a bit of a battle with BatistutaUK until I spun at turn 1 on the penultimate lap. 

Just had a quick go on Laguna Seca - think its going to be carnage on the corkscrew and lots of sausages to hit....