Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu

Thanks for the race guys, enjoyed last night, even though I couldn't keep it on the track most of the time. Tried not to get in anyone's way or run in to anyone when I was going off track. Had a couple of near misses Think I need to look at how to change default setups, to try and fix any understeer. Hopefully Silverstone is better.

41 minutes ago, Count Buffalos said:

I’d got 0.2l left at the end of race 1, I only upped my fuel because someone in chat advised at least 40l for the race!

Yeah that was me (amongst others). But that's for the Ferrari, which is the most fuel-efficient car in the series. 40l would be just-about, 45l would be comfortable for a 25min race.

1 hour ago, Count Buffalos said:

Edit: although race 2 was a lap shorter than race 1 last night.

Yeah, I was completely in the zone and crossed the start line with barely any time left on the clock.  I actually feel really bad about that as the extra lap meant @SANtoOos ran out of fuel :(

The race from my POV, with time stamps on the youtube channel, if you want to see you from my view. It's mainly @Valver, apparently we were track buddies. I hadn't realised that @Thor did exactly what @davejm did and used me as a bumper on his way past! You two should take note about how @mrben09 and me race safely through that corner. Not so much the next one though.

Also any driving tips would be most handy.

Spoiler

00:00 - Race 1 Lap 1

01:17 - Valver VS Olivia

01:40 - Racing Meerman

04:09 - Batistuta runs wide

04:32 - Racing Valver

06:40 - Spin class with Valver

07:11 - Race 2 Lap 1 (Meerman vs Valver)

09:50 - Chasing Valver

10:42 - Dave squeezes through

11:20 - Chasing MrBen

14:08 - Spin class with MrBen

14:45 - Thor squeezes through

Perhaps you hadn't realised because there was barely any contact? That's not me using you as a bumper, I was slow enough to make the turn and did not need you to be there to remain on the track, we just happened to touch as you were turning in - racing incident. In fairness you heard "clear on the left" when I was definitely on your left, just like I heard "clear on the right" when Scooby and I collided. 

1 minute ago, Count Buffalos said:

Well if you feel like an arse just blend out of the throttle on a straight? It’d probably be the right thing to do but like you say, you’re under no obligation to do so. 

That's what I did, lifting on a straight,  allowing the pass on the inside. I just didn't expect the follow through. Probably should have done it at a later point if needed and maintained position.

51 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

I will remember not to acquiesce to blue flags in the future. I know it's the official championship rules anyway but sometimes I feel like an arse holding up the clearly faster driver.

Makes for exciting racing though as it allows a competitor to catch up. ;)

Had a go at Silverstone just now, and the Merc feels so much better than the Nissan I drove last time. Managed a 1:59.829 and that was with me being sloppy through Maggots and Beckets. I fully expect @SANtoOos to make it into the 1:58s. ;)

21 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

Yeah the in game pit crew suck. I heard "clear on the left" and turned in.

I know. I've switched to the in game crew chief, but they barely say anything, not even with message verbosity on maximum. So I'm going back to the proper Crew Chief. Flawed as it is, it still does the proximity things 100% accurately.

1 hour ago, SweatyTravolta said:

Yeah the in game pit crew suck. I heard "clear on the left" and turned in.

1 hour ago, Meers said:

Flawed as it is, it still does the proximity things 100% accurately.

I think both of these are flawed vs the radar or using your mirrors in VR, the spotter is a point in time and things often move on by the time you turn in.

1 hour ago, scoobysi said:

I think both of these are flawed vs the radar or using your mirrors in VR, the spotter is a point in time and things often move on by the time you turn in.

Indeed. That's why I use a combination of aids: 3 buttons to look back/left/right (because I've turned off the mirrors to gain performance), radar, head motion, proximity arrows, distance in front/behind, surround sound and the Crew Chief app.

There's no way that I'm not aware of someone's position behind me. :eyebrows:

Yeah, watching my video back, if I were to check my mirrors any more than I already do I'd have the worst case of whiplash. The first lap going into turn four, I check my mirrors four/five times on the lead up to the turn because I know someone is on the inside line coming out of turn three. I just didn't think turn 10 was anywhere close to being an over taking spot, considering the angle of the corner and the fact that no one was alongside me during turn in, coming from much further back.

I would say this might highlight that reverse grid races don't work as the faster drivers are going to want to push harder and can take corners faster. I'd rather start at the back and enjoy myself rather than spend the whole time being worried about getting punted. Surely that's better for the faster drivers too?

Yeah, watching my video back, if I were to check my mirrors any more than I already do I'd have the worst case of whiplash. The first lap going into turn four, I check my mirrors four/five times on the lead up to the turn because I know someone is on the inside line coming out of turn three. I just didn't think turn 10 was anywhere close to being an over taking spot, considering the angle of the corner and the fact that no one was alongside me during turn in, coming from much further back.

You can go two wide and plenty of people were overtaking there; but it's difficult for the car in front to react and stay over if the move is so late.  I nearly came a cropper a few times with moves onto my inside on this turn.  Here's one where I was quite a way in front of Buffalos coming down into the turn...

image.thumb.png.0ef7bdb716316466ff7270fd819bab4d.png

... but I was able to react quickly enough so I stayed over to the right...

image.thumb.png.f2fb41ab1118422d03770e0d46fd383f.png

So I was expecting us to be side by side and go two wide.  I'd slowed plenty for the apex and had full control of the car, so similar to what Thor said it's not as if I specifically needed your car to bumper back onto the line.  It was just a late move and in hindsight I'd have held back for a safer and fairer moment to overtake.

It's quite interesting how it looks from different angles actually.  From the outside view it looks like we could have gone two wide (which would have given you the inside for the next corner); but in my cockpit view it looks like a divebomb.  Go figure!

This race-craft lark has a very harsh learning curve, because it can ruin other people's enjoyment if you get it wrong!

I would say this might highlight that reverse grid races don't work as the faster drivers are going to want to push harder and can take corners faster. I'd rather start at the back and enjoy myself rather than spend the whole time being worried about getting punted. Surely that's better for the faster drivers too?

Yeah maybe.  I've felt similar at times.  As a mid-pack runner it frightens the life out of me when @scoobysi, @SharkyOB, @Thor, @SANtoOos etc come up behind, and I have been punted a couple of times which I think was just due to me being slower than they may have expected at that moment.  So it's a fair point.  I must admit I prefer the Endurance races; despite having some wonderful battling with folk on Thursday.

I share some of your concerns about the reverse grids, perhaps we could all have a discussion when the season is over? In theory they should be a good way to ensure that everyone is able to gain decent points from a race. I think that in practice they can be a bit messy for a range of reasons. I think that the slower drivers (understandably) drive in their mirrors, tighten up because of the faster drivers behind and that the faster drivers just aren't patient enough sometimes (and 'faster' notwithstanding, that definitely applies to me sometimes). 

However, I genuinely think that the reverse grid racing will improve. I'm starting to get a sense of different driver's driving styles, how likely they are to go for a riskier pass etc, which is really cool. I think that we perhaps just need to urge a little bit of caution, which can be difficult in the heat of the race. 

Turn 10 was tricky I think. I actually didn't make many intentional overtakes / divebombs there. I just sort of found myself in that position because the car in front had to brake so much earlier than me into the turn so it was a question of divebombing, hitting the car in front or swerving off the track.  That's a perfect illustration above @davejm. I'd drive differently in hindsight, but I genuinely learn so much about racecraft each race to take to the next. However, it's a learning process for everyone isn't it? There are going to be mistakes along the way. And I think that even when everything is as good as it can be there are still going to be racing incidents where some drivers feel aggrieved.

I really couldn't disagree with this any more. Race 2 was the most fun race I've ever had online and I went from pretty much last to second with barely any contact at all (had a tiny tap with Dave passing at turn 1 and there was the slightly heavier contact with Valver). 

Ultimately, as the passing driver it's up to you to do it in a safe manner. The only places I'd ever attempt a pass at Catalunya are turn 1, turn 4 (1st slow left hander) and turn 7 (slow left hander at the end of the straight) all the other corners are about staying close enough to attempt passes in those 3.

19 minutes ago, Count Buffalos said:

I think that the slower drivers (understandably) drive in their mirrors, tighten up because of the faster drivers behind and that the faster drivers just aren't patient enough sometimes (and 'faster' notwithstanding, that definitely applies to me sometimes). 

That's all completely fair enough and it's certainly on faster drivers to be patient when passing other cars. If you're quicker, you can afford to wait and trying to force a pass is generally not a good thing to do. I think passing at obvious places (slower corners usually but turn 1 is an exception in Spain. Also, the chicanes at the end of the lap are definitely not a passing place, there's only one line through there), really telegraphing the pass and making sure you're clearly alongside is all you can do though really. 

16 minutes ago, Count Buffalos said:

Turn 10 was tricky I think. I actually didn't make many intentional overtakes / divebombs there. I just sort of found myself in that position because the car in front had to brake so much earlier than me into the turn so it was a question of divebombing, hitting the car in front or swerving off the track.  That's a perfect illustration above @davejm. I'd drive differently in hindsight, but I genuinely learn so much about racecraft each race to take to the next. However, it's a learning process for everyone isn't it? There are going to be mistakes along the way. And I think that even when everything is as good as it can be there are still going to be racing incidents where some drivers feel aggrieved.

Our incident from the screenshots didn't feel like a divebomb on track; it seemed fair to me (as all our encounters did).   Was just using it as an example that people were going two wide here; but I'd agree (in hindsight) that this isn't a good overtaking spot.   Some of the things @SharkyOB and @scoobysi have said about being alongside before the braking zone is good food for thought and something for me to be mindful of when racing I think.

For me unless you’re on the bumper and know you can brake later or have a bit of an overlap down to T10 then an overtake is not really on. However, there’s been times I’ve been caught out by a car braking earlier than expected forcing me into an overtake as per @Count Buffalos.

I felt aggrieved at T4 and T5 where both times I felt I couldn’t take the racing line because I’d collide with a car behind doing a late move. I’d probably have quit the race if I hadn’t lost connection.

14 minutes ago, Count Buffalos said:

I think that quitting is a shame, if only that it takes alway the opportunity for other drivers to learn from you and develop their racecraft.

I agree it would’ve been a shame to quit but I felt (rightly or wrongly) I was being used as a turning assist.