Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu

53 minutes ago, MattKB said:

I assume I can use a controller on the pc version? Is it really worth playing if I’m not fussed about setups etc and just want to race?

Played on Xbox last night, 45 min online race. At the end, it was just over. Back to quali for next race, no summary of positions and times. Does the pc version have this? (You know like every racing game ever)

Yeah you can play and enjoy without ever worrying about setups.  There are two good presets; safe (which is selected by default) and aggressive.  Even after 270 odd hours in the game I don't really change the setups much; just some tweaks to tyre pressures usually.

The behaviour you saw with the game jumping straight to a new qualifying session is a config setting (set by whoever created the server).  You can choose a post-session time value.  Most servers give you plenty of time to view the leaderboard, timings and save your replay etc.  But I've also seen some behave like you experienced; which is annoying.  But as @Count Buffalos mentioned, there's no flashy podium screens or anything.

Was watching Aris' stream last night, and he was talking about the dynamic weather and race weekend simulation.  Fascinating stuff.  Apparently the track can be 'Optimal' with full rubber; but if it starts to rain the rubber starts to wash away which makes the racing line really slippery.   So he used an example from one of his races where he was driving off the racing line to get more grip.  And if the rubber fully washes away the track becomes 'fast' then 'green' even if it's been rubbered in previously.  Amazing.  And this can all happen at any point of the weekend simulation, even at a time where no cars were on track.  So you can join a race session for example and find a 'green' track, due to the rain having washed away all the rubber from the support races; even if it's not raining any more at the time that the session starts.

16 minutes ago, davejm said:

Was watching Aris' stream last night, and he was talking about the dynamic weather and race weekend simulation.  Fascinating stuff.  Apparently the track can be 'Optimal' with full rubber; but if it starts to rain the rubber starts to wash away which makes the racing line really slippery.   So he used an example from one of his races where he was driving off the racing line to get more grip.  And if the rubber fully washes away the track becomes 'fast' then 'green' even if it's been rubbered in previously.  Amazing.  And this can all happen at any point of the weekend simulation, even at a time where no cars were on track.  So you can join a race session for example and find a 'green' track, due to the rain having washed away all the rubber from the support races; even if it's not raining any more at the time that the session starts.

That is cool but I feel without the ability to look at a 3 day forecast and then a slightly more accurate daily forecast it’s all a bit difficult to judge setup/tyres etc. Also how do you know pre-race if the rubber has been washed away etc., by the fact it is Fast or Green? Kunos do the most amazing stuff but sometimes I feel with a little effort they could add simple stuff that would improve the experience no end. 

26 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

That is cool but I feel without the ability to look at a 3 day forecast and then a slightly more accurate daily forecast it’s all a bit difficult to judge setup/tyres etc. Also how do you know pre-race if the rubber has been washed away etc., by the fact it is Fast or Green? Kunos do the most amazing stuff but sometimes I feel with a little effort they could add simple stuff that would improve the experience no end. 

I'd like to see better forecasting;  but I can see why they haven't done it.  I don't think it's that simple.   If you're going to give a 3 day forecast then you have to make the forecasting itself somewhat unpredictable; because in real like there's no guarantee that a forecast is going to be accurate.   If they don't have a forecasting model at all, adding one from the ground up is tricky because they can't simply tell us "its going to rain on the Sunday" because that in itself wouldn't be realistic.  It's somewhat realistic to be told in the UI that it's going to rain in 10 minutes; but not to be told that it will definitely rain in a session on another day.

I wonder if a compromise would be at least to have some textual or visual representation of the server settings.  At the moment there is nothing.  As a server admin I can have the dynamic weather settings turned up to the max, but you'd have no way of knowing that until the weather changes.  They could at least have something that indicates that the weather is likely to be changeable; or that the settings are such that there's almost no chance of varying conditions.

And yeah, if the race session is in the afternoon or evening on the Sunday then ordinarily it will be a 'optimal' track due to the support races held prior.  So if you join and find that it's 'green' or 'fast' it means the rubber was washed away.

A forecast would be useful, but what we really need is a report on what's happened over the weekend weather wise. This is something every team would know IRL so it would be reasonable to add it. I really like the unpredictability and not knowing exactly what conditions you'll face in each session though, feels real to me. 

Do we know for a fact it's not there though, via the spotter for example?  We haven't had a dry to wet (or vice versa) race in the league and I don't think I've had one online either.  Would be great if the spotter told you to expect rain in 5 mins, for example.

3 hours ago, SharkyOB said:

Do we know for a fact it's not there though, via the spotter for example?  We haven't had a dry to wet (or vice versa) race in the league and I don't think I've had one online either.  Would be great if the spotter told you to expect rain in 5 mins, for example.

I think once you’re racing it’s better, not sure if it’s the spotter or a message but I’m sure it tells you when wet tyres etc. are optimum.

5 hours ago, davejm said:

Was watching Aris' stream last night

So he used an example from one of his races where he was driving off the racing line to get more grip. 

It's what Verstappen did in that wet race Brazil in 2017. I was amazed that no one else followed his example. Hamilton was the only one doing it as well, yet Max did it whilst overtaking the entire field. Not a huge fan of the bloke, but I respect and appreciate his racing craft.

4 hours ago, SharkyOB said:

Do we know for a fact it's not there though, via the spotter for example?

Doesn't Crew Chief do weather warnings? I'm not sure.

Blimey, I really don't remember Barcelona from when we raced here before.  I think it was one of the very early tracks we did.

I'm all over the place :D  Bit more practice is in order this week.

@scoobysi I was thinking about what you said about just doing the Endurance races; but might do Barcelona this week?  If you did take part this week, plus the rest of the Endurance races then that would only leave the Laguna Seca sprint race that you'd miss from the league; and one week's result gets scrubbed anyway.  The super trofeo @ Misana and GT4 @ Zolder and Brands are just non-scoring extra races.  So taking part this week would mean you'd be taking part in 5/6 league race nights and could quite feasibly win it due to the scrub week :) So I do hope you can join us!

59 minutes ago, davejm said:

@scoobysi I was thinking about what you said about just doing the Endurance races; but might do Barcelona this week?  If you did take part this week, plus the rest of the Endurance races then that would only leave the Laguna Seca sprint race that you'd miss from the league; and one week's result gets scrubbed anyway.  The super trofeo @ Misana and GT4 @ Zolder and Brands are just non-scoring extra races.  So taking part this week would mean you'd be taking part in 5/6 league race nights and could quite feasibly win it due to the scrub week :) So I do hope you can join us!

Cheers @davejm, I was thinking of doing some practice laps this week but there’s a chance that I won’t be able to make the race on Thu anyway. I don’t mind re the Championship, this is the only MP/ACC racing I’m doing now so having this group to look forward to racing against every couple of weeks is great anyway.

Just requested to join, got 140hrs in game, but still pretty slow. so hopefully wont be too much of a roadblock to the fast guys in front. Have been comparing my times with the ones posted in here, and am usually towards the bottom of the times. Hopefully playing against some off you will show where I am losing time.

15 hours ago, willmill said:

Just requested to join, got 140hrs in game, but still pretty slow. so hopefully wont be too much of a roadblock to the fast guys in front. Have been comparing my times with the ones posted in here, and am usually towards the bottom of the times. Hopefully playing against some off you will show where I am losing time.

Nice one mate. Welcome to the thread and roster. 8-)

I shall add you to the leaderboard. May I know what your car and racing number of choice is?

Good session guys.  Starting to come together now.  There's still a couple of peeps on the server, so I'll post the times in the morning.

Start times (in-game) for the two sprint races on Thursday will be 14:00 and 20:00.

15 hours ago, davejm said:

I'll hopefully be on this evening.  Need to get loads more practice in, as the Ferrari seems very slippery around Barcelona.

It is very slippery. And even after some tweaks which made the car handle a bit better, I was still off the pace. I was a bit tired last night though, so maybe there's that.

Are you experiencing a slow response when turning in? How can I fix that?

7 minutes ago, Meers said:

It is very slippery. And even after some tweaks which made the car handle a bit better, I was still off the pace. I was a bit tired last night though, so maybe there's that.

Are you experiencing a slow response when turning in? How can I fix that?

I can't say I really noticed that.  Still not happy with how the car feels though; I'm on the edge all the time.  I need to find a compromise of pace and consistency if I practice later.

Here are the latest timings.  Good to see @willmill on track :)

image.png.c45909c4104a8d737a44a7a695bb0037.png

52 minutes ago, davejm said:

I can't say I really noticed that.  Still not happy with how the car feels though; I'm on the edge all the time.  I need to find a compromise of pace and consistency if I practice later.

I think I need to drop the tyre pressure even more, it feels like I'm driving a stagecoach. Warm pressure is 27.6 psi though, with 88°C on each tyre. Should be okay, but it somehow isn't.

9 minutes ago, mrben09 said:

So my flight might get in early enough to get home, shit shower shave and be ready to join quail on Thursday. No practice, just raw incompetence incoming !

Have a safe trip! Then join the incompetence club! 

30 minutes ago, davejm said:

image.png.c45909c4104a8d737a44a7a695bb0037.png

Hmm....i thought @davejm@SharkyOB and@Count Buffalos were in the 1:45s as well, did I make that up?

McLaren feeling a bit slippery too, my best time was when I first joined the server, it was late afternoon and track felt nicely rubbered in, car felt great, but when the server reset I just couldn't match that and got nowhere with the setup. 

Does anyone else have to move the brake balance forward loads? In the aggressive setups I feel like I have to go up by 0.4 to 1% in every car I tried in this game, the rear feels really loose when I'm trail braking into the corners. Trying to figure out if it's a technique thing, I'm more used to drive formula cars without ABS and I'm still adapting to the GT3 braking. If the car feels loose on turn in weight transfer, what would you guys change in the setup, lower antiroll bars/camber? Or differential? 

11 hours ago, Count Buffalos said:

Could I have your Steam usernames to invite to my friends list?

My steam is LGS_369 :)

6 minutes ago, SANtoOos said:

Does anyone else have to move the brake balance forward loads? In the aggressive setups I feel like I have to go up by 0.4 to 1% in every car I tried in this game, the rear feels really loose when I'm trail braking into the corners

The only car I've had to adjust brake balance on is that bastard fucking Porsche. :lol: