Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu

scoobysi

1 minute ago, daifuco said:

I hope you get better soon. I have been in bed for 3 days with a terrible ankle inflammation and pain. I have had gout before and not sure if this is gout. Last week it was my hand. I have an online GP appointment tomorrow.

Last thing I was doing before pain started was... Practicing at Zandvort 🤔

I have the Thrustmaster TLCM and the only real flaw in them is that you can't position the pedals like you can with the fanatecs

Gosh I hope you get better soon mate! 

1 hour ago, davejm said:

On a personal note, my knee problems are pretty bad; and in both knees.  They've been bad for a while, and I've been ignoring it in the hope it would go away :(

I'm more recently convinced it's due to the sim racing, and I think I know why.  My pedals are centered on the tray, and despite moving the pedal faces as much to the left as I can, my legs are slightly twisted to the right.  Was watching a gamer muscle video last where he explained how crucial it is that your legs are as straight as possible so I'm going to have a play around with the rig later and see if I can mount my pedals to the left.  The aim being that the brake and throttle are central.  It's a compromise (because that means the clutch will be even further over to the left) but 99% of my time is spent paddle shifting so I'm going to give it a go.

Oh man, that's not good. I had that myself when I still had the clutch pedal on, and thus the brake pedal in the center, forcing me to position my (cybernetic) left leg in an awkward bend. I felt that during long races so I removed the clutch pedal from the base and moved the brake and throttle pedals to a more central position. Works really well now and no more pain.

But I'm looking at a way to mount all the pedals out of the CSR elite pedal base onto a wooden plate in my rig. I want to use the clutch (and shifter) again for AC.

Hopefully some rest will sort your knees out mate. Get well soon. Goes to show that proper sitting posture is not to be underestimated.

1 hour ago, daifuco said:

I have been in bed for 3 days with a terrible ankle inflammation and pain. I have had gout before and not sure if this is gout. Last week it was my hand.

I hope you get well soon too, mate. Blimey, almost everyone here has some form of physical trouble!

@davejm @daifuco Wishing you both a very speedy recovery!

I won't be able to join tonight as the girlfriend is visiting but looking forward to practicing some Suzuka next week! Will be highly motivated as I am also going to my first ever F1 GP in Spielberg this weekend 😍 If anyone has any tips / must bring items from their own experiences, please let me know! 

Just now, texlex45 said:

I won't be able to join tonight as the girlfriend is visiting but looking forward to practicing some Suzuka next week! Will be highly motivated as I am also going to my first ever F1 GP in Spielberg this weekend 😍 If anyone has any tips / must bring items from their own experiences, please let me know! 

Thanks! :)

RE: The Suzuka race... I'm not sure if a multi-class race with only 12 people would work.  We could perhaps change the event to GT3 or GT4 only or bin it off and try some fun Assetto Corsa races (which was going to be the original plan anyway).

Thoughts guys?

I just move my chair or the pedals when I need to find a more comfortable position :D

Speedy recovery to you both. My vaccine arm hurts like hell now in certain positions but it should go away in a couple of days. And since I still havent found out how the heck the BMW is supposed to be setup or driven around this track to get any speed out of it I think I'll just take it easy tonight and cruise around the dunes

4 minutes ago, davejm said:

RE: The Suzuka race... I'm not sure if a multi-class race with only 12 people would work.  We could perhaps change the event to GT3 or GT4 only or bin it off and try some fun Assetto Corsa races (which was going to be the original plan anyway).

Thoughts guys?

That makes sense to me. I would prefer a GT3 race but GT4s are of course also a great time on that track.

10 minutes ago, texlex45 said:

Such a great track to be your first! My advice is get as close to the track as possible. I was at the 2013 British GP, got a place on the hill by Stowe, good visibility but it was just too far. Halfway through the race I walked down the hill and found a spot in the fence by the braking zone of the Hangar straight and that was unbelievable, just a few meters from the cars, these cars need to be experienced up close, very visceral experience, the sense of speed, obviously the sound, but that year was the last V8 year so that helped. 

It's different for everyone though, if you're able to walk around the track, try a few different spots during practice or quali. (though it's probably numbered seats these days I imagine?) 

On the t-lcm, you guys have adjusted the foot plates at least, right? It's not quite enough to properly centre it for me but it's kinda close, so far. Maybe you should reduce the spring stiffness a little too for the brake. 

Yeah, foot plates adjusted as much to the left as I can.  I'm reluctant to change the brake pressure (muscle memory reasons) but that will be a last resort if there's still pain after moving the pedals slightly over to the left a bit. 

2 hours ago, Meers said:

I hope you get well soon too, mate. Blimey, almost everyone here has some form of physical trouble!

Sign of the age of the forum!  Get well soon guys.

58 minutes ago, davejm said:

Yeah, foot plates adjusted as much to the left as I can.  I'm reluctant to change the brake pressure (muscle memory reasons) but that will be a last resort if there's still pain after moving the pedals slightly over to the left a bit. 

I have my brake and throttle pedal plates over to the left and my legs probably are a little offset to the right when on the brake and throttle, but I use what I think are slightly lighter springs on my T-LCM brake (one red spring and one black), which might be why I've dodged the knee issues?  My left knee isn't that great anyway and I used to have problems with it while cycling, so I feel like I should be quite prone to problems here.

5 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Sign of the age of the forum!  Get well soon guys.

I have my brake and throttle pedal plates over to the left and my legs probably are a little offset to the right when on the brake and throttle, but I use what I think are slightly lighter springs on my T-LCM brake (one red spring and one black), which might be why I've dodged the knee issues?  My left knee isn't that great anyway and I used to have problems with it while cycling, so I feel like I should be quite prone to problems here.

Yeah, I'm using the toughest springs with 80% force in the driver.  So I'm applying 80kgs of brake pressure when at 100% (I think it's a 100kg load cell?).  Plus, my knees are knackered from years of football and running (and not looking after myself with proper stretching).

Knees?! Time to show off my battle wounds again! Don't click if you're squeamish! :ph34r:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.0fc5c0623848bedde7943f958c83f5d8.png

image.thumb.png.e7b27e0566a76dbd9ac5b90643eacaa3.png                image.thumb.png.a9ea1ecd50c77dcd4bdc1cf99d81b8fe.png

Courtesy of someone in their 45km/h kart that took a 90° turn whilst I cycled on a separate cycling path (which are really common and safe here, unless someone who shouldn't be driving on public roads at all comes careering into you). Still hurts on cold days.

This is also the reason I'm braking a tad earlier than you would expect me to do. So take heed everyone!

By the way, are those 45km/h karts a thing in the UK as well?

2 hours ago, SANtoOos said:

Such a great track to be your first! My advice is get as close to the track as possible. I was at the 2013 British GP, got a place on the hill by Stowe, good visibility but it was just too far. Halfway through the race I walked down the hill and found a spot in the fence by the braking zone of the Hangar straight and that was unbelievable, just a few meters from the cars, these cars need to be experienced up close, very visceral experience, the sense of speed, obviously the sound, but that year was the last V8 year so that helped. 

It's different for everyone though, if you're able to walk around the track, try a few different spots during practice or quali. (though it's probably numbered seats these days I imagine?) 

sounds awesome! Unfortunately no corner hopping is allowed as you correctly guessed. Strictly limited to one spot for the race. But atleast we have a great view on one of the best overtaking zones and a tv screen to hopefully give some context with what else is going on during the sessions (see red mark below). And it looks like mixed conditions for Saturday and Sunday so could be a real spicy race 🌦️ 🔥

image.thumb.png.7a949e933efc1b2d48392db74b8d4859.png

@davejm @daifuco hoping for an easy speedy recovery for you guys.

2 hours ago, texlex45 said:

Will be highly motivated as I am also going to my first ever F1 GP in Spielberg this weekend

Oh nice I'm jealous, would love to get to a F1 race. I've been discussing with an Italian friend to drive down to Monza in September but still a lot up in the air whether it's possible.

15 minutes ago, Meers said:

Knees?! Time to show off my battle wounds again! Don't click if you're squeamish! :ph34r:

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.0fc5c0623848bedde7943f958c83f5d8.png

image.thumb.png.e7b27e0566a76dbd9ac5b90643eacaa3.png                image.thumb.png.a9ea1ecd50c77dcd4bdc1cf99d81b8fe.png

Ouch that looks like a nasty one indeed.

16 minutes ago, Meers said:

By the way, are those 45km/h karts a thing in the UK as well?

Do you mean the cantas and other miniature cars, I've never seen them in Ireland and couldn't imagine them being on the roads in the UK either, maybe the odd one in a city but nowhere near as common as here in the Netherlands.

canta-afbeelding.jpg

19 minutes ago, texlex45 said:

sounds awesome! Unfortunately no corner hopping is allowed as you correctly guessed. Strictly limited to one spot for the race. But atleast we have a great view on one of the best overtaking zones and a tv screen to hopefully give some context with what else is going on during the sessions (see red mark below). And it looks like mixed conditions for Saturday and Sunday so could be a real spicy race 🌦️ 🔥

image.thumb.png.7a949e933efc1b2d48392db74b8d4859.png

Those look like great seats 😃 give us a wave if you're on TV

1 hour ago, davejm said:

Yeah, I'm using the toughest springs with 80% force in the driver.  So I'm applying 80kgs of brake pressure when at 100% (I think it's a 100kg load cell?).  Plus, my knees are knackered from years of football and running (and not looking after myself with proper stretching).

Does your right knee hurt as well? Out of personal experience, I know my knees wouldn't like 80kgs brake pressure, but I had an arthroscopy a few years ago after severely misjudging a very simple football catch (I was the goalie). I think it's good to try and think long term, if there's anything to do to save your knees later in life they'll be thankful. Running can actually be pretty good for knees if using the correct technique and shoes. Have you ever tried muscle strengthening exercises? There's a few specific ones for the muscle groups that activate the joint, it helps offload the pressure from the cartilage. 

#menisci_are_bastards

34 minutes ago, SANtoOos said:

Does your right knee hurt as well? Out of personal experience, I know my knees wouldn't like 80kgs brake pressure, but I had an arthroscopy a few years ago after severely misjudging a very simple football catch (I was the goalie). I think it's good to try and think long term, if there's anything to do to save your knees later in life they'll be thankful. Running can actually be pretty good for knees if using the correct technique and shoes. Have you ever tried muscle strengthening exercises? There's a few specific ones for the muscle groups that activate the joint, it helps offload the pressure from the cartilage. 

#menisci_are_bastards

My right knee has been a problem for a long time (about 15 years) since damaging my medial ligament playing football, and not doing proper physio on it (I probably should have had it operated on too).  And since giving up football a few years ago I've done a lot of running (5 marathons, about 50 half marathons) and have only stopped running recently due to various niggly injuries.  But, I've always been rubbish at doing proper stretches and strength training alongside my running.  So I need to get better at that.

2 minutes ago, davejm said:

Is anyone able to join the server for 7 later on guys?  I'm going to sit this one out (and likely next week too).

I can join when it launches

1 minute ago, Meers said:

Same here, around 07:15h.

It needs at least one person to join within 10 mins of the planned start time; otherwise the event is deleted.  I know we usually have a couple on early, so it should be fine... just wanted to check to make sure! :)

3 minutes ago, davejm said:

It needs at least one person to join within 10 mins of the planned start time; otherwise the event is deleted.  I know we usually have a couple on early, so it should be fine... just wanted to check to make sure! :)

Ah I see. Shouldn't be an issue then.

Is there anything either Matt or I need to help out with during the session?

1 minute ago, Meers said:

Ah I see. Shouldn't be an issue I think.

Is there anything either Matt or I need to help out with during the session?

No I don't think so mate.  I don't think it needs manual admin intervention because with simracing.gp the server will always start at the allotted time so there's no need to manually forward to qualifying.  So should be fine :)

2 minutes ago, davejm said:

No I don't think so mate.  I don't think it needs manual admin intervention because with simracing.gp the server will always start at the allotted time so there's no need to manually forward to qualifying.  So should be fine :)

Excellent! Just making sure. That alone is a big advantage over the Emperor servers. 

I'll be on as early as possible tonight, haven't done any practice at all this week so I need to make the most of the practice session.

Is there an easy way to see the conditions of each race, or is it buried in a thread somewhere?

Edit - just found it on the simracing.gp event 👍

2 minutes ago, DjScream3 said:

@davejm I have a problem, I accidentally dropped out of the championship(miss click) and it won't let me choose a car again, can you help me? 😅

Yep no worries, I've added you back in with the Porsche so just change car if you need to :)