Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu

scoobysi

Congratulations to our new guys on some great racing - and on kicking our butts in the first round.  Well played @Erik especially, with the double win.

Here are the replays.  What a great start to the championship - roll on next week!

Race 1

Race2:

I had that moment when I went wide of it being all over, then you followed, as soon as I put the boot down on the last corner I realised I'd made a horrible mistake 🤣 congrats man, I think you'd have had me on the next lap anyway.

That was a mega race night! I had some great fights with @SneakyNinja, @SANtoOos, @EuroVapeSim2 and @milko. At the end of race 1 I frustratingly ran out of fuel in the last double left handers, but EuroVapeSim was so kind to give me a push over the finish line. Wholesome! :hug:

Race 2 was better for me. I found myself scrapping with Ninja again, but after Santooos spun Ninja got away. Instead I was now trying to hold off Santooos and Milko which I managed for a good few laps but it was inevitable that they would pass me, and they did eventually. So far for the Meers train. It took 110% of effort on my part to stay in front, what an intense battle! 😓

I feel I've become much better at the game now though. The smoother framerate is a big factor I reckon, I'm able to judge speed and apexes much better.

Here's the leaderboard after 2 races:

image.thumb.png.f239433aae7ea94a23d59096d5346590.png

12 minutes ago, Mr Majestyk said:

I had that moment when I went wide of it being all over, then you followed, as soon as I put the boot down on the last corner I realised I'd made a horrible mistake 🤣 congrats man, I think you'd have had me on the next lap anyway.

It's so good seeing you and @batistutauk back on the grid! 

A night of ups and downs for me.  Race 1 was great, qualified in 3rd, had a clean start and had a really nice battle with @SANtoOos before he had to start fuel saving and eventually ran out of fuel :( Finished in the same position I started in, which was better than I expected tbh!

Race 2 was a bit of a mare.  Failed to set a time in quali as I went straight off the track in turn 1 on both laps, due to the different lighting conditions and not being able to see the rubber on the track, which I'd been using as my braking point.  I then had an absolute nightmare in lap 1, taking out both @Valver and @Mr Majestyk in the process.  I'm really sorry guys, I knew last night that the incident with @Mr Majestyk was 100% my fault (outbraked myself on the dirty side of the track on the run down to the last 2 corners, ended up bouncing across the inside curbs trying to avoid an accident and failed miserably), but having watched the replay so was the incident with @Valver.  I'd tried to brave it out round the outside of turn 1 which was probably ok, but I should've backed out of turn 2 and given you the apex.  I was completely off the track when we made contact so, again, 100% my fault.

I was dead last after the incident with @Mr Majestyk as I think I (quite rightly) came out of the incident worse off.  Managed to calm myself down after that though and I was pretty happy with getting back up the order to finish 8th, with only a small gap to the 3 cars ahead.

Onwards to next week 😀

8 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Race 1 was great, qualified in 3rd, had a clean start and had a really nice battle with @SANtoOos before he had to start fuel saving and eventually ran out of fuel :( Finished in the same position I started in, which was better than I expected tbh!

Race 2 was a bit of a mare.  Failed to set a time in quali as I went straight off the track in turn 1 on both laps, due to the different lighting conditions and not being able to see the rubber on the track, which I'd been using as my braking point.  I then had an absolute mare in lap 1, taking out both @Valver and @Mr Majestyk in the process.  I'm really sorry guys, I knew last night that the incident with @Mr Majestyk was 100% my fault (outbraked myself on the dirty side of the track on the run down to the last 2 corners, ended up bouncing across the inside curbs trying to avoid an accident and failed miserably), but having watched the replay so was the incident with @Valver.  I'd tried to brave it out round the outside of turn 1 which was probably ok, but I should've backed out of turn 2 and given you the apex.  I was completely off the track when we made contact so, again, 100% my fault.

I was dead last after the incident with @Mr Majestyk as I think I (quite rightly) came out of the incident worse off.  Managed to calm myself down after that though and I was pretty happy with getting back up the order to finish 8th, with only a small gap to the 3 cars ahead.

Onwards to next week 😀

Yeah loved our battle! We've had some nice scraps around Imola already. So gutted I underfueled... 

11 hours ago, mrben09 said:

You think ? My early teenage years were spent mainly buying records on the label in my avatar. Ghost town ( the last big one) came out in 81. 

Crikey, I thought I was the resident pensioner seeing as I'll turn 50 this year.  Turns out I'm a whipper-snapper! Yay!

11 hours ago, EuroVapeSim2 said:

Thanks again everyone for the great racing, had some good battles in the first race and an unfortunate contact on the penultimate corner on the last lap.

Thank you for spinning, it lucked me into my first podium 😆. I'm sure when you get to used to the VR I won't have these sort of opportunities again.

I was sort of alone for most of race two but a couple mistakes from me in the last few laps let @SneakyNinja get really close behind and my stress levels sky rocketed. There was only 1 hundred in difference in our average clean lap pace, looking forward to many fun battles in the rest of the races.

Screenshot_20210520-230357_Chrome.jpg

Really enjoyed our battle. Watching our laptimes pop up as we crossed the line was quite impressive.

Next time, if it'll help with your stress, imagine me humming the theme from Jaws as I close in :D

Again, sorry @SANtoOos if I pushed you wide in our Bottas/Russell moment - I really thought I'd cleared you. I blame my crew chief spotter Clair :( 

11 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

Crikey, I thought I was the resident pensioner seeing as I'll turn 50 this year.  Turns out I'm a whipper-snapper! Yay!

Man I thought I was quite old, being born in 1976!

6 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

I blame my crew chief spotter Clair :( 

She's a bit slow sometimes, isn't she?

It's one of the reasons I don't rely just on Crew Chief alone, so I use radar/proximity arrows and look left/right/back as well (also because mirrors still use too much performance so I switched those off).

1 minute ago, Meers said:

It's one of the reasons I don't rely just on Crew Chief alone, so I use radar/proximity arrows and look left/right/back as well (also because mirrors still use too much performance so I switched those off).

Oh, same here. The consensus between Clair, the radar and my mirrors was that it was close but I had room to move over.

I'll consult the VAR replay and give myself a stern talking to if required. It amazes me how things are often different to how you perceive them in the heat of the moment. I can see now why F1 drivers often say 'I need to see the replay' before discussing any incident.

A great thing about GT4s is they can take hits and go off the track on grass or gravel often without much or any lasting effect on speed, balance or laptime. GT3s can ruin their tyres in a spin or long drift and sometimes the smallest car to car contact or wall tap can ruin the car.

42 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

Ah my 50th, a lovely day until the Luftwaffe and Spitfires got into it right over the BBQ. Fun of living in Kent during WW2.

For those of a more serious disposition. 53 in July. 

39 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

Again, sorry @SANtoOos if I pushed you wide in our Bottas/Russell moment - I really thought I'd cleared you. I blame my crew chief spotter Clair :( 

No worries man! Yeah I had a little bit of my nose in, I think I had to lift to avoid contact, but the way the track kinks left I can see how crew chief would have "cleared" it. Nature of the track, as I was on the outside the track was coming towards me and I was running out of room. In fact I did a similar thing to @SharkyOB last year :)

Also sorry @Meers for our contact, I seem to have a blind spot for a late lunge (I say it in a good way, awesomely judged move, I did a similar one on Ninja and he did much better than me at avoiding contact). I actually seem to remember at the time that in the pressure I was concentrating on the apex so much I forgot I could physically look left and check the mirrors and missed the radars etc, I think my brain is still conditioned to the flat screen. 

2 hours ago, mrben09 said:

Ah my 50th, a lovely day until the Luftwaffe and Spitfires got into it right over the BBQ. Fun of living in Kent during WW2.

Sorry man, we didn't have the capacity to prevent that from happening.

2 hours ago, SANtoOos said:

Also sorry @Meers for our contact, I seem to have a blind spot for a late lunge (I say it in a good way, awesomely judged move, I did a similar one on Ninja and he did much better than me at avoiding contact). I actually seem to remember at the time that in the pressure I was concentrating on the apex so much I forgot I could physically look left and check the mirrors and missed the radars etc, I think my brain is still conditioned to the flat screen. 

Indeed, no excuse for a VR user! 😉

Nah man, it's all good. It was not a missed braking point on my behalf either or a last resort move, it was purely defensive action. It was a slight tap, nothing bad.

Man what a fight that was. I felt thrilled to be part of that! It's not every race that I have to fight for position like that. And our racing was clean AF.

That bloody last chicane though. Everyone seemed to take it faster than I did. Definitely the track's Achilles heel for me.

2 hours ago, SneakyNinja said:

Really enjoyed our battle. Watching our laptimes pop up as we crossed the line was quite impressive.

Next time, if it'll help with your stress, imagine me humming the theme from Jaws as I close in :D

It might just be the thing I need, maybe the humming will keep my mind distracted from watching the time gap at the wrong points in the lap. I was looking for your time just after mine every time I crossed the finish line to see how the gaps were going. Genuinely exciting stuff.

10 minutes ago, EuroVapeSim2 said:

It might just be the thing I need, maybe the humming will keep my mind distracted from watching the time gap at the wrong points in the lap. I was looking for your time just after mine every time I crossed the finish line to see how the gaps were going. Genuinely exciting stuff.

I was doing exactly the same! Scary how a small lapse in concentration can add several tenths to a lap time. Like 'oh, I wonder what the gap is..' closely followed by missing a braking point.

Knee feels better, which is surprising because it kept me awake last night as it was throbbing and I couldn't get comfy.  But when I did manage to get some sleep I woke to it feeling improved, and I can move around the house much better now :)

6 minutes ago, Count Buffalos said:

A few of us have talked about a forum race meet up at some point in the GT season, perhaps at Oulton Park or Donington Park, is there any interest in that still?

Definite interest here!  Either race would be good.

Hello, new information on the RCI July Endurance has been released. I'll copy it below:

10 hours of Silverstone

Date: July 31

P: 57 @ 11:30 UTC
Q: 33 @ 12:27 UTC
 - first 10m for GT4, second 10m for Cup+ST, last 10m for GT3
R: 600 @ 13:00 UTC

Splits:
3 - Invite, Pro/High Silver, Low Silver/AM
 * Expanded as needed

Cars: 45 total (per race)
 - 15 slots: GT3
 - 10 slots: GT4
 - 10 slots: Cup
 - 10 slots: ST

BOP:
McLaren 720s - 30kg
 * Consideration for Boat kg, and cup restrictor for multiclass ease of passing. TBD.

Teams: 2-5 drivers

Stint Timer:
65m

Max Drive Times:
5 Drivers - TBD
4 Drivers - TBD
3 Drivers - 5.5hr
2 Drivers - TBD

Signups: Not till July 3rd. But I'm impatient, and y'all want Dat Info Drop anyway.

Might be some more info that'll drop on this one soon too, but this is the format

The least popular class is likely to be the Super Trofeo. But a team signing up early should be able to get a GT4 or Cup class place in the AM race.

My team discussed this briefly and we want to enter 2 cars in a class or classes that are not GT3. 3 to 5 of us will try to enter in probably Cup and GT4 classes. Theres still more than a month before signups open so plenty of time to think. Let me know if you want to make a team together or join us!

18 hours ago, davejm said:

Definite interest here!  Either race would be good.

Cool. For reference:

Donington Park 10-11th July

Oulton Park 11-12th September

Donington Park 16-17th October 

I'll probably attend all three and perhaps Silverstone on 25-2th June too.