Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu

scoobysi

Yeah but how do you know whats supposed to make the car better actually makes it better? You dont, move all the sliders and revert when it drives worse than before. :D

I think this 7 video series by Aris is very good introduction. He prepares Ferrari 488 for a race in couple of short sessions, starting from a preset. Short practice and relearning the track, pressures, some simple setup changes to make the car a bit better or safer for him in key corners. He explains everything he does and then some more.

https://youtu.be/53v_6mWCBmw

29 minutes ago, Erik said:

Yeah but how do you know whats supposed to make the car better actually makes it better? You dont, move all the sliders and revert when it drives worse than before. :D

You don't indeed. You go by experience, using one of the presets and work from there. And a lot of trial and error.

I think I can tune an in-game car pretty well these days (I get it to handle nicely and safely), but I'm not entirely sure if you would like it if I you were to try it. I often wonder if what I think feels nice and consistent, others will think so as well. :sherlock:

9 minutes ago, davejm said:

Guys, simracing.gp have been in touch to get us onboarded as a community there.

I've got a Discord meeting with them next Thursday so I'll see how it pans out.

Big-Deal.jpg.8834b22471de358c63cd2a9b57534d22.jpg

7 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Big-Deal.jpg.8834b22471de358c63cd2a9b57534d22.jpg

Haha it's a big drive to onboard more communities so nothing special :D  Will be cool to try out the platform.  Will be good to be able to set up some AC races (they have Raceroom support coming too, also).

3 hours ago, davejm said:

Haha it's a big drive to onboard more communities so nothing special :D  Will be cool to try out the platform.  Will be good to be able to set up some AC races (they have Raceroom support coming too, also).

So made up we'll be able to race in AC too!!  We should do some 60s mini racing, because it is the best racing :wub:

These things look like a lot of fun:

Excuse the typical YouTube bellend thumbnail :hmm:

1 hour ago, Erik said:

I think this 7 video series by Aris is very good introduction

yeah I learned a lot from watching that - albeit some of the later details I mentally parked in the "look again at those later" category. I still have his multipart dampers one on the list to watch someday.

I'm capable of getting the preset, doing pressures and then maybe some degree of aero, ARB, diff and brake balance adjustment if I can identify a specific problem area well. Everything past that is still a monkey pulling random levers.

37 minutes ago, milko said:

I'm capable of getting the preset, doing pressures and then maybe some degree of aero, ARB, diff and brake balance adjustment if I can identify a specific problem area well. Everything past that is still a monkey pulling random levers.

Thats pretty much what I also do. Out of GT3s I only drive a few of them, mainly the Bentley, and for some tracks I've done a lot of setup work to make the car suit my brake and throttle heavy style better than aggressive preset. Couple of months ago I pretty much just tried some random changes and after some more minor tweaks I lucked into a setup that is both very quick and that I enjoy driving and feel very confident in over long stints. It works well on a couple of tracks and with some changes on 2 or 3 more.

It is important to identify the exact problem, what effects it, and assess if it can be improved with driving or setup. This all gets even more interesting when 2 or 3 people share the same car, and everyone wants to change something different :D

6 hours ago, SharkyOB said:

So made up we'll be able to race in AC too!!  We should do some 60s mini racing, because it is the best racing :wub:

Excuse the typical YouTube bellend thumbnail :hmm:

yes have that mod downloaded and would looove to race these! :omg:

19 hours ago, SharkyOB said:

Ha they look absolutely lethal, I can only imagine how crazy it would be in VR. The cars are like a crazy mix between a go kart, ride on lawnmower and F1 car. 

Morning guys.  It's time for the rllmuk GT World Challenge Season 5!! :)  The inaugural GT4 sprint takes us to Imola; and oh boy it's toight!!

image.png.52ab5433250d20515cbe7e44aae99fd2.png

image.png.abf9b4344d96d4f63a71815783331e4a.png

Unfortunately, I might not be able to make the race.  I jar'ed my knee running yesterday (well, it was actually after the run as I came into the house) and I'm unsure how it's going to feel in the sim rig.  I sat down in it just now and it doesn't feel too bad when I apply brake pressure; but it depends how things are later.  I'll have a little practice at lunchtime and see how it is.

24 minutes ago, davejm said:

Unfortunately, I might not be able to make the race.  I jar'ed my knee running yesterday (well, it was actually after the run as I came into the house) and I'm unsure how it's going to feel in the sim rig.  I sat down in it just now and it doesn't feel too bad when I apply brake pressure; but it depends how things are later.  I'll have a little practice at lunchtime and see how it is.

Hope you can make it mate!  Would changing the springs on the brake help?

57 minutes ago, davejm said:

toight!!

Morning! I love how this is now a thoing! :lol:

That's not good, Dave. Can you brace the knee or lean it against something? I hope you can make it tonight!

I have a small cupboard on the left side of my racing seat (where the laptop sits on) and the shifter stand on the right where I rest my knees against when racing. It's a toight fit in there, but that's part of the sim experience. It takes some strain off my bionic left knee (remember, the one with the stainless steel plate in it?).

2 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Hope you can make it mate!  Would changing the springs on the brake help?

It doesn't actually feel worse when pressing the brake pedal; I assume the muscles applying that pressure are all OK.  It's more the discomfort of sitting in the rig, but then again it's uncomfortable sitting in a chair too at the moment anyway! :D

53 minutes ago, davejm said:

Hoping it's not too serious an injury for you Dave.

Looking forward to my first league race today. I installed my new pedals yesterday, it's a gamble I hope pays off but I may not be as quick. Yesterday I only got half an hour of running on them, hoping to squeeze in some more practice before the race.

Race 2 would end 23:35 or 00:35 which is too late but I might take part in race 1. Maaaybe both. I will leave home for 2 weeks early on Saturday so I have some work and packing to do before.

I believe RCI will be arranging 2 big enduros in July or late June, once the endurance championship that finishes in June is over. No dates or details confirmed yet, but the other race will apparently have GT4 class only. Depending on when exactly these races happen and long they are, we might enter 2 cars and this would open 1 or 2 driver positions for people who would like to try out endurance racing in a relaxed one-off race and dont want to drive like 4+ hours but rather only 1 or 2.

https://www.racingclubinternational.com/ signups page with open and running events is on the top right

Yesterday I installed my new CPU (i7 4790k) and upgraded to a water cooler (at @SharkyOB's recommendations). First time opening a PC up so it was nerve wracking but ultimately satisfying. Happy to say it made a big difference to VR stability and FPS! The i5 was indeed a bottleneck, for some reason it struggled more on the online servers than on single player with 19 AI (although either was pretty much undrivable before). 

With all that messing around with settings I feel a bit on the back foot with practice, still getting used to VR as well. Comparing my best lap with the fastest, I'm only losing 0.2s on the first sectors, but a whopping 0.7s on the 3rd! Chicane it must be?

Really looking forward to tonight now, hope you're good to race @davejm knees are bastards. 

I also might have to miss tonight. Just moved house and having a delivery tonight between 8:30 and 9:30 so likely I could miss both races, unless he turns up early.

Just set up my VR headset too. I forgot how much of a blurry mess it is compared to my monitor but the sense of presence is amazing. So much easier to catch oversteer. Still did not make me go any faster though!

8 minutes ago, winky said:

I also might have to miss tonight.

Oh man, I was looking forward to go head-to-head with you as we're the only ones in the 1:52s. :(

2 minutes ago, Erik said:

Are the times UK time or UTC?

UK time.  Apologies, apart from @Meers I don't think we had any non-UK folk until recently so it's not something I've thought about!

2 minutes ago, davejm said:

UK time.  Apologies, apart from @Meers I don't think we had any non-UK folk until recently so it's not something I've thought about!

Allright, so 20.15 UK time is 22.15 for me!

On 19/05/2021 at 11:49, SharkyOB said:

Well up for this and maybe some other single car type races as well (obv. not at  the expense of the UK + Holland(Netherlands)'s (now incorporating wider Europe) greatest GT3/GT4 league), the F1 is supposed to be amazing.

But I fear you might have to write us a noob guide to getting these mods up and running. Unless there is one kicking about elsewhere on the forum 

15 minutes ago, davejm said:

Indeed. You guys already agreed to start earlier to compensate for me. @Erik is 2 hours ahead of you guys even, being from Finland and everything! :(

Content Manager makes modding AC easy. One can use the in-game mod browser or drag and drop the files... I think. But AC shouldnt need too many mods up be "up to date", mostly SOL and whatever tracks and cars are wanted.

20 minutes ago, Erik said:

Allright, so 20.15 UK time is 22.15 for me!

Yeah that's right.

2015 UTC (aka GMT) = 2115 BST (British Summer Time, UTC+1) = 2215 CEST (Central European Summer Time, UTC+2) = 2315 EEST (Eastern European Summer Time, UTC+3).