Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu

scoobysi

Here is the quickest lap. I thought it would be a slow one when I used turn 2 kerbs a bit too much, bounced and slid in exit and TC engaged. This evening Tosa was the worst corner to me, I almost always either braked too late or downshifted too early which resulted in snap oversteer and a long slide. Then I slid more when I hit the kerb on the right before Acque Minerale. Somehow kept the rest of the lap quite nice and tsädäm that was it. Looking at the lap now on video it looks like the car is on rails almost :D

https://streamable.com/khapv6

@davejm @SneakyNinja 

I know the feeling. You see what lines and braking points, gear etc. someone faster is using but you just cant see the difference. I'm probably carrying bit more speed everywhere, especially the chicane on top of the hill, and able to put power down earlier in some corners.

edit: on the exit of the final chicane, on the right theres Italian flag colored stripe. At the end of it is a white part. When hitting that, you have 129 to 131 km/h in McLaren and 125 km/h in Porsche. I have 135 to 139 km/h.

Yes welcome @texlex45 @Erikand @EuroVapeSim2looking forward to seeing you on track!

Thanks for sharing the lap Erik! Will try to learn as much as I can  :sherlock: ;) 96 laps you did??? Fast and consistent!

In the subject of other people's braking points and lines looking the same and us still being slower, I always like to add that the main difference to a better time is higher speed carried into the corner (often by not using full brakes or letting go of the brakes earlier than us, so still same braking application point, but holding the brakes for less). It's very hard to feel that watching someone else's lap! 

Also, don't forget that if you nail the apex, get super early on the throttle and get a great exit, your speed at the next corner will be higher meaning you have to break earlier at the next corner. Hence it looks like aliens are using the same braking markers as us, but they are often arriving there at higher speeds. 

Edit: my last point is that we often learn the aliens' braking points and lines but we aren't maximizing the speed and exits and it's really easy for your brain to think you are at the limit and you condition yourself to repeat that over and over, so it's hard to break away from that

2 hours ago, SANtoOos said:

(often by not using full brakes or letting go of the brakes earlier than us, so still same braking application point, but holding the brakes for less)

yeah, this is where I spend a lot of time getting track penalties or crashing, trying to work that out!

I've managed to set a time I'm happy with, 1.51.5, but to go at that pace I'm not getting many valid laps in yet. I can tell I could go faster in some places but I need to sort the consistency thing out some more first. 

27 minutes ago, milko said:

yeah, this is where I spend a lot of time getting track penalties or crashing, trying to work that out!

I've managed to set a time I'm happy with, 1.51.5, but to go at that pace I'm not getting many valid laps in yet. I can tell I could go faster in some places but I need to sort the consistency thing out some more first. 

Same! I need to keep reminding myself how important it is to be buttery smooth with the controls, specially the steering, the slower and more gradual you turn your steering wheel, the more available grip you have because of the way the rubber works and tyre slip, @Erik is awesome at that! Same with the pedals really. 

11 hours ago, davejm said:

By the way, Erik just did a 1:49!! 

Insane! :wacko:

Well if this is not motivating us all to become better, then I don't know what does. 

Aaaand dropping further down the list I see. :(

Guys, for curiosity's sake I've made a poll to figure out if the choice of hardware is a factor that separates the fast from the less-fast. So if you all would be so kind to have a look and enter your weapons of choice, then that would be great. ;)

Thank you!

@Meers done it and voted 60Hz but I think the quest 1 I'm using actually tops out at 72hz and I don't know what frame rate I'm actually getting in ACC but I assume its about that.

@Meers Unless I'm missing something your poll doesn't associate the results with laptimes, so how will you know if it's a factor? But I'd say if Erik the alien is complaining of big stutters on Zolder then it's not the PC spec that's making him fast! I'm convinced VR helps though.

Will your next one be "are the fast guys using the fanciest steering wheel/pedal/cockpit setups"? As I don't think that will match to the laptimes either ;)

I don't know, man. I never make polls so it may be far from watertight. :lol:

Couldn't add many options in this one so it'll have to do. No names either so there's no telling hahaha!

2 hours ago, milko said:

@Meers Unless I'm missing something your poll doesn't associate the results with laptimes, so how will you know if it's a factor? But I'd say if Erik the alien is complaining of big stutters on Zolder then it's not the PC spec that's making him fast! I'm convinced VR helps though.

Will your next one be "are the fast guys using the fanciest steering wheel/pedal/cockpit setups"? As I don't think that will match to the laptimes either ;)

I'm all for any poll that gives me an excuse!

11 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

I'm all for any poll that gives me an excuse!

We have a thread for that! :lol:

Looks like I'm the only one so far who uses a HDTV for PC gaming! :facepalm:

Am I a muppet for doing so? Let me know in this poll!

39 minutes ago, Valver said:

Does your HDTV have much input lag?  Thats about the only downside of TV's vs monitors.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/input-lag

Not that I notice (and I would). I'm using its built-in game mode which reduces the response time to ~37ms. According to this article it's well suited for PC gaming. Not the best, but not too shabby either.

I have i5-6600K which I've overclocked but its still a pretty bad bottleneck. Using 1680x1080 resolution I could max out most things in graphics, but depending on track and number of cars CPU load on at least one core will soon hit 100 % and then game stutters and freezes. The only thing I've found to help is lowering frame limit which I've now set to 40(and mirror resolution and frames to lowest), but in Zolder going as low as 30 doesnt help much. When spectating or viewing a replay file the game is much, much lighter and it can usually maintain 60-ish fps even when recording videos.

My PC is enough for other games I've play but unfortunately corona hit the continent right when I started playing ACC more often than couple of times a month. Right now upgrading my PC would be very expensive.

I used to play on a HDTV and never had any issues with delay, that was more FPS games and truck sims rather than sim racing though. There seems to be a couple fairly priced 34" monitors on tweakers.net I got this one 6 months ago when I got a dedicated corner for my sim gear, no more folding away my Next Level Racing frame and the extra screen estate on the corners of the screen really helped me.

My new fanatec pedals were shipped in 2 boxes, both were out for delivery this morning and only one box was delivered, the load cell pedal. :doh: 

1 hour ago, Meers said:

We have a thread for that! :lol:

Looks like I'm the only one so far who uses a HDTV for PC gaming! :facepalm:

Am I a muppet for doing so? Let me know in this poll!

I do, just not for games that support VR.  There's nothing wrong with using a TV for gaming.

I've noticed that judging by their inputs some people must be using a game controller instead of wheel. Problem with the controller is that doing small and smooth inputs is much more difficult than with wheel and pedals. ACC is perfectly playable with a game controller - or even mouse and keyboard, check out this guy https://www.twitch.tv/icey0082 - with the right settings.

I found some kind of settings guide here https://coachdaveacademy.com/tutorials/ultimate-assetto-corsa-competizione-controller-settings/  that recommends these settings for Thrustmaster controller:

controlleracc.JPG.81ca5be71d7728cbb4a7eba49541b896.JPG

In car setup and electronics there are some more things that can help a controller user with excessive turning and oversteer when turning in and putting power down. There are many long setup guides but I think controller users are primarily interested in controlling steering sensitivity and oversteer. Some of them are

TC: higher value intervenes more, kills wheelspin and thus exit oversteer

Brake balance: more ahead means more understeer and less turn under brakes

wing angle: more wing is more downforce and more understeer, especially at high speed. Moves aero balance and variation towards rear

ride heights: less rake angle usually means more understeer and less rotation and turning. More rake moves aero balance and its variation at speed towards front. Adjust 1 mm at a time, front is much more sensitive than rear. In GT3s I think front ride height is the single most influential setup setting.

steering ratio: degrees of steering wheel rotation to turn wheels 1 degree, the higher the value the less sensitive steering becomes

anti-roll bars: stiffer front means more understeer braking and turning but quicker to react. stiffer rear results in more oversteer when going back on throttle but might give more stability

differential preload: higher value lets inside tyre spin more before differential opens. Lower to reduce exit oversteer and to increase initial turn-in(you can balance this with stiffer front ARB or less rake)

Try to not change too many things at a time and drive at least a bit before making any changes, so that you will feel the changes better.

18 hours ago, SharkyOB said:

There's nothing wrong with using a TV for gaming.

9 hours ago, mrben09 said:

I do as well, which obviously is an indicator for nothing at all!

I'm glad you guys are saying that, because I've been getting other signals elsewhere. Of course the refresh rates and response times of TVs are generally higher than those of monitors, but there are TVs that reach 20ms whilst there are monitors that do 40ms so it depends what you get. You won't notice it when the response time is lower than 40ms, which is considered fast enough for gaming.

Anyway, technical babble aside...it seems that the division is 10 screen users and 6 VR users (just 6? I thought it would be the other way around).

image.png.0b46fb391a7720d6dbd0d0e6d070ba5a.png

1 hour ago, Erik said:

Try to not change too many things at a time and drive at least a bit before making any changes, so that you will feel the changes better.

Thank you for that explanation, Erik. The only thing I never touch are all the dampers a spring settings (I leave the 'aggressive setup' settings unchanged) because they confuse me and I'm afraid I screw up the setup if I do. Are they worth adjusting?

15 minutes ago, Count Buffalos said:

I’m doubtful for tomorrow - I’ve got a bad back and there’s no chance I can get into the Playseat. If I do race it’ll be without any sort of practice. 

Ah man, that's not good. Get well soon mate.

Is anyone else worried Erik thinks their steering wheel control is so jerky that they might be on a gamepad? :)

@Count Buffalos get stretching! The injuries topic in health and fitness might be able to help. Good luck and I hope it feels better soon, back pain is no fun. 

23 minutes ago, milko said:

Is anyone else worried Erik thinks their steering wheel control is so jerky that they might be on a gamepad? :)

Well now I do! :ph34r:

I can't imagine playing ACC with a pad, mind you. Seems like trying to drive a real car with a joystick, like they did in the olden days:

image.png.68018d6cd903183d48617dae29a11065.png

42 minutes ago, Meers said:

Thank you for that explanation, Erik. The only thing I never touch are all the dampers a spring settings (I leave the 'aggressive setup' settings unchanged) because they confuse me and I'm afraid I screw up the setup if I do. Are they worth adjusting?

I do try to adjust them if I feel the car feels too soft or hard and other things dont work. But testing every change is a lot of work so if car feels good enough and laptimes arent terrible I stop trying to fix what isnt broken. Dampers are magic and confuse everyone, and unless they are way off I think they should be used for fine tuning only. Safe and aggressive presets are made by Kunos' physics lead Aris and the latter are considered to be very quick in right hands.

Couple of months ago there was an update that changed yaw angle's effect on downforce generation, and many aggressive setups became a little too aggressive at high speeds. If you experience things like spinning in Blanchimont try first to lower rear ride height by 2-3 mm or just add a click of wing angle.

have you (or anyone) got any magic advice for making the Porsche GT4 go over the last chicane at Imola without being either painfully slow or losing traction? I can't figure it out, so far, but by the splits I think that's where I'm mostly losing time. Tried softening the rebound but I couldn't really make out a difference and was well into "don't know what I'm doing and might mess up a perfectly serviceable setup" so I stopped fiddling. It's probably mostly me not getting the right line or car balance anyway I expect.

16 minutes ago, milko said:

have you (or anyone) got any magic advice for making the Porsche GT4 go over the last chicane at Imola without being either painfully slow or losing traction? I can't figure it out, so far, but by the splits I think that's where I'm mostly losing time. Tried softening the rebound but I couldn't really make out a difference and was well into "don't know what I'm doing and might mess up a perfectly serviceable setup" so I stopped fiddling. It's probably mostly me not getting the right line or car balance anyway I expect.

The only thing I'm touching regarding dampers and springs is the bumpstops. I set the red line at the top white line in the diagram. I don't exactly know what it does (give the suspension more room to cope with bumps I suppose), but @SharkyOB once advised me to do this, and it works as I can hit the kerbs pretty hard without unsettling the suspension too much.

Try to brake early, use more of the first kerb and little or even none of the second, and have a tiny bit of throttle and no brake when touching the kerb. Try to have steering more or less staight when going over the kerbs.

Bumpstops are rubber blocks. Think of them as a second spring that is only used when suspension has been compressed enough. They can be used to limit and control body roll or pitch down under brakes. Also we dont want the suspension to compress fully because then any additional force goes directly and undamped into chassis and bumpstops are there to make sure thats less likely to happen. The closer they are(bumpstop range is smaller) the sooner compressing suspension will touch them. So when braking or entering a corner and loading the outside front tyre, main spring(wheel rate), anti-roll bar, bump damping and bumpstop distance and stiffness all work together.

In GT3s when braking suspension will touch bumpstops, usually when cornering too on one side. If range is increased or the stop block is softened, it lets suspension compress a little more(that corner of car rotates deeper) which often results in more turn-in and maybe more overall grip, but slower response and of course more body roll, more pitch-down and thus more rake which in turn might reduce rear grip. Unlike ARBs they also effect straight line braking and modify high speed behaviour when air pushes, or doesnt, car down onto bumpstops.