Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu

scoobysi

I actually find Imola even more difficult than Hungaroring. Most corners lead to either another close corner or longish straights so its very important to get the exits right and to use every bit of kerb the car can drive on. I have like 6 tenths between best lap and theoretical best and I keep making the same mistakes in the same corners again and again :D

It's turns 5 and 6 (Variante Villeneuve) that I feel I haven't got close to mastering.  The initial left is quite slight and I can take it in high 4th gear, braking after down to third, but then I tend to run to the right side of the track after the apex, which compromises the following right where I obviously want to be as far left as possible.  Slow out, lose time racing to the hairpin.  But slowing down enough to take that left turn and stay left feels horribly slow.  It's a real compromise corner, and I don't think I've managed to drive it once and feel happy with the outcome yet!

You get to the initial left at such high speed it feels like it might be worth keeping that high speed up for longer as the following straight to the hairpin is quite short...  but the clock seems to tell a different story 

19 hours ago, EuroVapeSim2 said:

@Erik sounds like at moments you had a really eventful race. Its a pity about contact so early into a long race like that.

I bit the bullet and ordered the fanatec csl elite pedals with the load cell kit, let's see if they arrive before Thursday and if I can get up to speed with them.

Sounds good. For many years I used Logitech G25 and its pedals, and only quite recently switched to T300 because I wanted better FFB and more than one working button on the wheel. I have the better Thrustmaster pedals but they are not load cells. I dont think I'm now any quicker in absolute pace - I have not been able to break many of my lap records when I tried to - but its noticeably easier to be consistent. Endurance driving is not as exhausting as before, some time ago I drove over 3 hours straight in a Monza race and when I finished I felt I could do another hour or more and stay in 1:48s. Same thing two days ago in Paul Ricard, I was fastest at the end of the race and could have driven more. Because its easier to brake and put power down more precisely and smoothly, when car doesnt react exactly as I think it should have I know much better if it was me or the car, or changing conditions.

Top 8 within 2 seconds, holy shit guys! :omg:

I have the McLaren setup down to a tee now. It's not the fastest as you can see, but it's very stable around corners and over bumps. Hopefully I can be consistent in the race with it and minimise mistakes in order to be competitive. Can't wait! :D

3 hours ago, Erik said:

Sounds good. For many years I used Logitech G25 and its pedals, and only quite recently switched to T300 because I wanted better FFB and more than one working button on the wheel. I have the better Thrustmaster pedals but they are not load cells. I dont think I'm now any quicker in absolute pace - I have not been able to break many of my lap records when I tried to - but its noticeably easier to be consistent. Endurance driving is not as exhausting as before, some time ago I drove over 3 hours straight in a Monza race and when I finished I felt I could do another hour or more and stay in 1:48s. Same thing two days ago in Paul Ricard, I was fastest at the end of the race and could have driven more. Because its easier to brake and put power down more precisely and smoothly, when car doesnt react exactly as I think it should have I know much better if it was me or the car, or changing conditions.

I have the T300 as well, I'm very happy with the wheel & the FFB from it and I got it for a decent price too, it was always the pedals I just felt weren't that great. Damn I ached after the 90 minutes of Zolder recently, I'm no where near the ability to drive long stints like that, and to keep your pace up as well, you're some beast.

2 hours ago, davejm said:

image.png.973e3549092c3c51abbe9db81de1d701.png

Ooh it's toight alright. I think come Thursday I will be a couple places lower, I still have a lot of work to do on my race pace, maybe make a couple small set up tweaks.

Unfortunately it looks like I will miss at least the 2 first races. Maybe race 5 and 6 too. 7 and 8 I dont know yet, depends on where I will spend my summer vacation and if I need to practice for a weekend race with my team. But I will try to improve my time this week before I leave home for some... outdoors activities for a couple of weeks. 8-)

@EuroVapeSim2 I think you have improved massively over the past month or so. 1:51 in Imola especially in high temperatures needs a clean lap, especially sector 2 is good. I told you that you just need to take it easy and drive more laps. ;)

It's nice to shake things up a bit with new faces. We still have a few of our 'not usually racing every week' crew to maybe join in, right? Could be really fun numbers on the grid this season. 

Hopefully I get some time to get a bit more competitive pace this week, the car feels good at Imola (certainly compared with Hungary) based on my first attempts. I intend to be part of the toight bunch!

22 minutes ago, davejm said:

Can I just say that I'm really glad @Erik, @EuroVapeSim2 and @texlex45 have joined us over from PowerQ.  Really good to have you guys involved :)

glad to be here :D love the mixed league format and seems like a fun group of guys to race with!

3 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

@Erik, @EuroVapeSim2 and @texlex45 did you guys all drive in the PowerQ league?  I was (and indeed still am) Matt O'Brien and finished 3rd overall.

ahhhh yes I did, I am Daniel Witschi from that league and finished just a few points behind you 

@Erik you were right practice makes perfect, Imola is a track I'm also familiar with, it was a popular track on AC open lobbies with the mx5.

22 minutes ago, davejm said:

Can I just say that I'm really glad @Erik, @EuroVapeSim2 and @texlex45 have joined us over from PowerQ.  Really good to have you guys involved :)

Enjoyed the 2 races I've already been a part of here and will hopefully make all the races in the league. Thursday night racing is a perfect fit for me and I'm loving the practice server to compare times over the week to the build up.

@SharkyOB I wasn't in the league but I did come over from the Discord when Dave posted there about the Zolder race and this upcoming league.

I didnt race in the league but I wanted to drive the Zolder multiclass race. Unfortunately Zolder runs really poor on my PC even if I'm alone on the track. I get constant microfreezes and a proper freeze every 2 laps so, its almost tolerable when driving alone but not in a race.

8 minutes ago, texlex45 said:

ahhhh yes I did, I am Daniel Witschi from that league and finished just a few points behind you 

Ah brill!  I defo remember racing with you during those races, but I've lost all my replays now so can't check whether we had any close battles.

40 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Ah brill!  I defo remember racing with you during those races, but I've lost all my replays now so can't check whether we had any close battles.

Wouldn't remember any either off the top of my head.

But it was a brilliant and quite evenly matched league. Certainly learnt a lot in the first few races about avoiding the hotlapping mindset and just going for somewhat safe and consistent laptimes in those 1 hour races. 

1 hour ago, Erik said:

Unfortunately Zolder runs really poor on my PC even if I'm alone on the track. I get constant microfreezes and a proper freeze every 2 laps so, its almost tolerable when driving alone but not in a race.

And I thought I was imagining things. Some tracks do run less smooth than others, don't they? Zolder being one indeed, but Oulton Park and Donington are not as smooth as you'd want them to be. Imola and Suzuka on the other hand, no issues whatsoever. Maybe it's an optimisation thing but performance is not consistent throughout the game.

Things have become massively better though after I increased my ram to 16GB, but on rare occasions I can still see the odd chug here and there.

13 minutes ago, Meers said:

And I thought I was imagining things. Some tracks do run less smooth than others, don't they?

I think the new DLC tracks are mostly optimized better than old ones. Also I think its worse on tracks where the layout loops so that pits area and/or or large parts of the track are in view and nearby. So Zolder, Zandvoort, Monza(approaching Ascari my game often stutters), Misano(turn 4), Spa(Bruxelles and bus stop chicane), Brands(turn 3). Bathurst is huge, has no hairpins or sections where large parts of the track is in view and nearby, and its probably the smoothest running track for me.

I did notice Zolder has a lot of trackside scenery going on, it may be adding to the load? All those lorries and windmills and so on that come into view.

35 minutes ago, Meers said:

Zolder being one indeed, but Oulton Park and Donington are not as smooth as you'd want them to be. Imola and Suzuka on the other hand, no issues whatsoever.

It's the opposite for me regarding Zolder and Imola, I found game performance around Zolder to be perfect but once I pass the pits in Imola my framerate takes a huge plunge the whole way to the hairpin, practically every lap as well and always in the same part of the track. Maybe I'll take a look a settings again tonight and see if I can reduce the draw distance.

Reducing the draw distance (and perhaps the materials quality setting) may make performance better. I've got DD on epic (and MQ on mid) so I'll try lowering it as well for those tracks.

@SneakyNinja Well I can't really improve on my 'starter for 10' time, and the lap guides aren't really telling me anything I don't already know.  I just went slightly faster in the Porsche, but I'm generally struggling around Imola and I can't see where I can improve.  I was onboard with Erik earlier and he was hitting the exact same lines and braking points as I'd expect if I were driving myself, so there's something subtle that is losing me time without being able to put a finger on it.  It's the fine margins I guess; sometimes there's some imperceptible differences in input that can make all the difference. 

On the plus side, that does suggest you're being consistent. 

I improved my time a bit by using the tried and test method of "step away for a bit then do a faster lap with no idea what you did differently".

I also watched some onboard from our newly resident alien and saw the same as you. Same line, same-ish braking points, but seconds faster. I guess the good news is that we've improved to the point where it's all about the very small differences. I've got another 0.5 in hand, but I can't string the lap together without track limit issues but I'm ok with that. 

Thanks guys. I see theres a 1:49.680 in my best sectors but I cant extract that tonight. Stupid number of practice laps does help. I see on youtube theres a fairly recent 1:48.885 (albeit in Hotlap mode and in the Porsche and not BMW) so I'm still far from being an alien in any regard :D

Has some good practice today, got another 3.5 tenths of my PB and just under 4 tenths of my average pace, still lots of work to stay within track limits though and get my average pace down. 

@Erikyour times are ridiculous, and 96 laps in that last practice session.

2 hours ago, davejm said:

I was onboard with Erik earlier and he was hitting the exact same lines and braking points as I'd expect if I were driving myself, so there's something subtle that is losing me time without being able to put a finger on it.  It's the fine margins I guess; sometimes there's some imperceptible differences in input that can make all the difference. 

is it 15 corners around the track for Imola? He’s only got to be a tenth better at each one to get a clear 1.5s up on you, and so on (feel free to alter the figures for a given time). You’re unlikely to be able to see that kind of margin by watching, I should think. There’s a few long and/or uphill straights that always multiply exit speed margins as well, plenty of scope to stretch out that lead there. 

I shall try and get some practice in tonight, see if i can get within five seconds again maybe.