Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu

scoobysi

ok phew. At the time I really thought I'd outbraked myself, it was quite a surprise to find myself comfortably turning at the apex. Also I only got alongside as we were braking rather than in the acceleration part of the straight, that feels a bit divey. Maybe next time we race Hungary I'll actually figure out this damn track!

53 minutes ago, milko said:

@Valver this was my 'move' on you which I felt a bit iffy about because I hadn't really intended to do it at the time.

I did something waaay more clumsy/dive bomb-y than you.  You were sitting behind me to witness it too.  :blush:

I'd caught up to @SharkyOB and was getting all excited that I seemed to be able to close the gap at certain points on the track.  Hammering down the start/finish straight I got a red mist on, and failed to spot my braking point, resulting in an unintentional dive bomb lunge down the inside.  Fortunately Sharky was on the ball and stayed left to let me sail pass.  I had no chance of turning in at that speed, so went wide of the apex, and he simply retook the place. 

No harm done.  But I felt foolish, and was grateful that at least one of us was concentrating :doh:

Looks like Hungaroring was great fun after all! Some of the corners are very tricky indeed and need practice to not go wide in exit or cut too much. 

Tomorrow Saturday 15th 14.30 UTC or 15.30 UK time our team will drive in RCI Endurance World Tour race 5, 6 hours of Paul Ricard. This is a GT3 class endurance race with 3 drivers in each car, divided between Silver and AM classes. Race will have video stewarding and about 30 entrants. Challenge here is high tyre wear combined to only 5 sets of slick tyres allowed for qualifying and race, so we have to use worn tyres in race and managing the tyres will be crucial. Unless if it rains.

Only the invite split race, with the aliens and youtubers, is broadcasted on RCI's Youtube channel, but our race will have online live timing and be streamed by multiple drivers and teams including these:

101 AM AMG: https://www.twitch.tv/dumous/ 412 AM AMG: https://www.twitch.tv/lokilogaming/

102 Silver Aston Martin: https://www.twitch.tv/sacame/ 13 AM Ferrari: https://www.twitch.tv/cybershrike/

79 AM McLaren: https://www.twitch.tv/valmathor/

We drive the #99 Bentley 2018 in Silver class. I have no idea what to expect besides many track limits warnings, problems overtaking and lapping because everyone except the lone Porsche and maybe McLarens are faster than us on the long straight, and horrific rate of tyre wear. I'm still somewhat uncomfortable with the track but we should have allright pace in the 1:55 to 1:56s range with race fuel for 70 minutes. I havent seen other silver teams in practice but probably some are faster and some slower than us. I will myself probably drive about 2 hours and 40-45 min, mostly or entirely in the final 3 hours.

Spoiler

(Contact free) start of 24 hours of Kyalami 2½ months ago805550_20210221210053_1.thumb.jpg.f47d5e40705510b02cd3c74b86fc828d.jpg

Good luck @Erik. I can’t concentrate for 10 minutes let alone doing hours of racing!

Although I had lots of technical problems it was fun to race against real people!

Stuck my toe into the practice server for a few laps of Imola just now. Oof. I’m so rusty it’s almost literally painful.

Shoutout to @SharkyOB and @EuroVapeSim2 who were on at the same time and came past me more than once after I’d thrown it off into the gravel.

Least-worst time was a 1:59 which hardly compares to Sharky’s 1:51.

I don’t often get time behind the wheel these days and I think I’d forgotten how physical ACC is. It seems to take a lot more actual brake pressure to get the cars stopped, compared to GT Sport. Could be a settings thing - I suspect GT Sport is going easy on me and my braking leg has got lazy! :lol:

1 hour ago, jonathanhoey said:

Shoutout to @SharkyOB and @EuroVapeSim2 who were on at the same time and came past me more than once after I’d thrown it off into the gravel.

You didn't get in my way at all when I was going past.

I can't compare to gt sport but I feel like I'm still learning the brakes in ACC even after a couple races, I can see a lot of time for myself under braking.

19 minutes ago, davejm said:

image.png.347865b06c43260d8e204cc5ccd5af90.png

Aah nice! Do you guys feel you can go much faster? 

1 hour ago, jonathanhoey said:

I think I’d forgotten how physical ACC is. It seems to take a lot more actual brake pressure to get the cars stopped, compared to GT Sport.

Yeah I think ACC is hands down the first sim I've played where I have to almost break my leg to stop the cars. You can't really adjust it to make it use less force I don't think. 

37 minutes ago, Meers said:

I hope so.  I haven't checked out the track guides yet, so this was my first session going in blind and feeling my way around the circuit.  There are still a couple of sections I'm not happy with, so plenty of time to find I think.

2 hours ago, Meers said:

I feel with some practice there's a couple tenths to come off, nothing too dramatic though. Need to work on bringing my overall pace down and keep within the track limits at turn 9.

We found whole new way to fuck up. Driver in the car was struggling a lot so we called him in before his driving time or fuel were out, but that was a lap too early and in the end we would have ran out of stint timer by 2 seconds. So drive through pits to reset timer. Class win was again in sight but out of reach :D

13 hours ago, SneakyNinja said:

Christ. Your starter for 10 time is .5 quicker than I’ve managed after a few hours practice!  Back to the drawing board…

Second session in, and I managed an invalid 1:51.3 so I've got around a second to find if I can string it all together.  But I'm really erratic around Imola and I still can't take some of the bends (and the chicane at the end) properly so I'm going to try to do race fueled sessions now; and try to push less in favour of more consistency.

10 hours ago, Erik said:

We found whole new way to fuck up. Driver in the car was struggling a lot so we called him in before his driving time or fuel were out, but that was a lap too early and in the end we would have ran out of stint timer by 2 seconds. So drive through pits to reset timer. Class win was again in sight but out of reach :D

Unlucky @Erik.  How did you all do in the end?  And how was your race on a personal level?

Did a couple of practice laps.  The Porsche feels lovely here - I had loads of confidence in it and it rides over the kerbs really smoothly.   I can see our times tumbling a lot further...

1 hour ago, davejm said:

Unlucky @Erik.  How did you all do in the end?  And how was your race on a personal level?

Bad qualifying and started 11th. Contact on lap 1, punted away a car ahead that braked way too early and hard on the middle of track, then more contact a lap later when two cars in front punted each other out and they spun in such a way that we hit them both. We knew there would be splash and dash in the end so lap 10 we pitted for repairs and went off-cycle with strategy. Drivethrough for lap 1 put us even more off strategy so we mostly drove alone or with cars that were much slower.

I did the final 2½ h. Had good pace, I didnt get a single track limits warning and unlike many others we avoided that penalty. I was even more consistent than I had been in practice so I was happy about my driving. I caught and overtook three or four positions on track and would have finished 3rd in the end if not having to enter pits to reset stint timer on the penultimate lap. I was 1 s behind the overall leader but when crossing start-finish line race had 5 seconds left(+1 min 56 s for final lap) and I only had 1 min 55 left on stint timer. My bad for calling previous driver in too early.

@Erik sounds like at moments you had a really eventful race. Its a pity about contact so early into a long race like that.

I bit the bullet and ordered the fanatec csl elite pedals with the load cell kit, let's see if they arrive before Thursday and if I can get up to speed with them.

20 hours ago, Meers said:

Yeah I think ACC is hands down the first sim I've played where I have to almost break my leg to stop the cars. You can't really adjust it to make it use less force I don't think. 

You can adjust brake gamma(how progressive the response is) and deadzones on both ends. I think I use 2.00 gamma and have the smallest possible deadzone in both ends

I'm back guys! Just did a great sesh with @SharkyOBwho talked me through loads of VR settings and I had pretty much stable FPS in the practice server with just the 2 of us. Thanks man! Definitely raceable if it stays like that but... 

... I've been joining some random servers with plenty of cars, and it's undriveable really. Our Bathurst race wasn't as bad as those (maybe less cars?), but still pretty hard to feel the car, see the oversteer, and have confidence in the turning in, I'll keep digging in, bought a new processor that I'm hoping will help things a bit. 

Still loving it though haha! Personally, in VR I can see and feel where the time is to be gained, on a flatscreen it felt I was just having to guess and do loads of trial and error to learn how to do a good lap. 

Mentioned this video to Sharky, a bit esoteric and strange at times, but too true:

3 hours ago, Erik said:

You can adjust brake gamma(how progressive the response is) and deadzones on both ends. I think I use 2.00 gamma and have the smallest possible deadzone in both ends

Interesting, I will check that out as I haven't touched that option.

I'll be online tonight for some practice. 

Was just on sorting the race timings for this week.  The two races will be at 14:00 and 20:00 in-game, and for those that want to do some offline practice for the second race (to dial in pressures etc) you should be able to recreate the conditions by choosing 20% cloud cover and an average ambient temp of 18°C...

image.thumb.png.00a6fa567bfefefedfec0eae007ee9f1.png

Latest practice timings:-

image.png.c44d8fbf0f1e08726bed4328e52e989b.png