Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu

scoobysi

20 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Yeah!  Looking forward to tonight and a solid mid-field finish!

Haven't had much time to practice as I've been doing video editing for an online event my band's got this weekend.  I'll be working on that when I get home, but I'll defo be there for a bit of practice before the race.

You'll likely finish at the front due to raw talent alone ;)  Whereas my fast practice time won't be representative of my race pace and I'll likely bin it somewhere :D

1 hour ago, SharkyOB said:

Do you always run steam as an administrator?  I've had problems with game saves before if I don't do that, so I have my shortcut set to always start as admin.

nope, but doing so doesn't change anything.

Have discovered that although it SAYS its saving replays, it actually can't do that either. Similarly it lets me think I can overwrite a saved preset, but doesn't. Aha, in fact that was what I was doing in the Alpine, so really that car doesn't work either.

1 hour ago, Meers said:

@milko, have you reinstalled the dlc as well?

I don't think you can do that separately, but I can turn them off it doesn't change the result. I think it's a Windows thing somehow but I have no idea what to tackle with it now.

It sounds like a permissions issue with your 'Documents' folder.  Maybe check the security on the ACC sub folder within 'Documents' to ensure the permissions are OK?  Or just backup that whole folder perhaps (so you don't lose all your existing settings and setups), delete it, then let the game recreate it when it loads.

sussed it. Windows 10 ransomware protection! It wasn't allowing ACC (or Oculus for that matter) to write to Documents. You can allow apps through though, and now I did that it's all back to normal. Phew! 

Thank goodness I spent ages sorting that out instead of practicing.

51 minutes ago, davejm said:

You'll likely finish at the front due to raw talent alone ;)  Whereas my fast practice time won't be representative of my race pace and I'll likely bin it somewhere :D

:hug:

Sorry about that, windows did an update at the start of the race - I had no headset, no FFB in my wheel and then I decided to reboot again for Race 2. At that point my wheel was not detected in the game so was late (again) for qualifying lap. Start of race and once again no wheel - got it detected after the start, and when I tried to catch up got a drive though for speeding before the green light, still no FFB and at that point I gave up because it was no fun.

Sorry in race 1 for the dive bomb into turn one (whoever avoided me good driving)- I will like to blame my flakey USB devices but that was just bad driving.

ah damn @winky I was wondering what happened to you. We got a bunch of drive-throughs at the end so it would've been interesting to see where you might have got to with functioning controls. I wonder what's going on with your USB, have you tried changing port? My wheel doesn't like the usb plug to be touched at all, crashes the whole PC if it gets jiggled.

Fun race 1 for me, managed a quali lap that for my lack of practice I was very happy with, and then it seemed like a lot of people made a mistake or got caught up and suddenly I was in second place. Had absolutely no chance of catching @SneakyNinja (maybe kept you honest for about a lap?) but watching @Meers gradually haul me in and glancing at the time left in the race got rather tense, especially as I was on my final track cuts warning after 15 minutes. 

Want to see my amazing manoeuvre to get into second?

In race 2 I failed to make a qualifying lap valid and basically had a ringside seat for some good battles without actually being involved in them myself. Then I sort of finally got the hang of the two corners after the chicane at last, and caught up with @Valver. I hadn't really planned to actually go on the attack hard yet when I kind of accidentally got a great exit followed by a late braking corner I didn't think I could make but did, and I was through! Was that a bit of a dive-bomb? I braked in a straight line but really thought I was going to slide through the corner and out, was quite surprised to find myself nicely on the apex. It was about half a lap later when I let a wheel stray fractionally over a line and got my drive through penalty :lol:

Race 1... mess up the start and get a drive through.  Oh dear.

Race 2... no qualifying time due to understeering off the track in first lap and then crossing the line a second too late for the second.  Carve through the field and get into first position then get a drive through on the second to last lap for track limits.

This game gives you massive highs then kicks you right in the nads.

I wasn't particularly competitive this evening as I just hadn't found the time to practice much, but despite that had some great duels with @winky at the start of Race 1 and then @SharkyOB in Race2.  Enjoyed my evenings racing a lot.  Good clean close stuff!

I managed to finish 5th and then 6th - I think simply by consistently staying on track and not getting a drive through, while all around seemingly got one :lol:

Race 1 Highlights:

Race2 Highlights:  

I love the GT4s and last night's races! Hopefully I can keep up being competitive in them in the new season.

As I was not used to start from pole in the 2nd race, I didn't have the right speed when the speed limit section kicked in just before the green lights. Lesson learned.

13 minutes ago, Meers said:

As I was not used to start from pole in the 2nd race, I didn't have the right speed when the speed limit section kicked in just before the green lights. Lesson learned.

The gearing in the GT4 Porsche is set such that 1st gear, bouncing off the rev limiter, is 43mph - which is the perfect starting speed :lol:

This is interesting too (the bit about speeding at the start - the Drive Throughs are calculated on an average value)

https://felixdicit.com/how-to-optimise-your-starts-acc/

29 minutes ago, Meers said:

I love the GT4s and last night's races! Hopefully I can keep up being competitive in them in the new season.

I had the right speed for race 1, but I wonder if I was in the orange section rather than the green... I guess my brain would usually see the cars in front of me, so a definite brain fart ensued there.  Gutted :( 

9 minutes ago, davejm said:

I had the right speed for race 1, but I wonder if I was in the orange section rather than the green... I guess my brain would usually see the cars in front of me, so a definite brain fart ensued there.  Gutted :( 

It was weird - I was in 2nd place on the grid and maintaining a gap to you before I noticed the RED! arrow telling me I was too far ahead of my place so I had to brake quite hard just before it switched to the speed monitoring phase, hence you being a way ahead when the lights went green.

Gutted for you in race two. I was a bit too cautious in defence and you got past, then I was struggling to keep up but just about managing it when you got a drive through. Noooo...  If it makes you feel better (it won't) the sparks you threw up as you clobbered the chicane looked really cool from my point of view.

For comparison, I got 1 track limit warning over both races, which was from running wide after the blind left hander at the top of the hill. 

As mentioned though, I'll trade you a bit of my consistency for a dab of your raw speed :) 

37 minutes ago, Valver said:

The gearing in the GT4 Porsche is set such that 1st gear, bouncing off the rev limiter, is 43mph - which is the perfect starting speed :lol:

Yeah, I always take the start in second because of this!

25 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

It was weird - I was in 2nd place on the grid and maintaining a gap to you before I noticed the RED! arrow telling me I was too far ahead of my place so I had to brake quite hard just before it switched to the speed monitoring phase, hence you being a way ahead when the lights went green.

Gutted for you in race two. I was a bit too cautious in defence and you got past, then I was struggling to keep up but just about managing it when you got a drive through. Noooo...  If it makes you feel better (it won't) the sparks you threw up as you clobbered the chicane looked really cool from my point of view.

For comparison, I got 1 track limit warning over both races, which was from running wide after the blind left hander at the top of the hill. 

As mentioned though, I'll trade you a bit of my consistency for a dab of your raw speed :) 

Yeah you should have taken the inside line on the left hander towards the end of the lap. :)  I'd got quite close to you and once I was able to move on the inside the corner was mine.  I got @Meers in the same way the lap before.

3 of my warnings for track limits were for understeering off track (which definitely didn't gain me any time); but although my consistency was massively improved this week I definitely need to cut out the silly mistakes. 

EDIT: or did I take the outside line and then have the inside on the last corner? :D  my brain!

2 hours ago, davejm said:

Server is set up for Imola practice :)

I've just set a sort of benchmark: 1:52.404. I'm sure it'll soon be obliterated. :ph34r:

Some of you may have noticed that the server host website now has a Championship section.  It lets me create the championships and individual races within them; and add in how many points to allocate to each position (and for fastest lap and pole).  Might be worth sticking to the spreadsheet as it won't let me choose a different points for the final endurance race; but I'll add them in anyway :)

@Valver this was my 'move' on you which I felt a bit iffy about because I hadn't really intended to do it at the time. Obviously you saw me coming and didn't turn in (thankyou!). I'd be grateful for any feedback/opinions on whether people think I had any business being there in the first place. Originally I'd only pulled to the side to try and see my braking point better after getting a lot closer out of the preceding turn than I'd expected. 

So, was that shoddy novice racecraft or a steely-eyed snipe of an overtake that I should be proud of (if I didn't have to inwardly admit it was at least partly a mistake)? With my freshly-earned "most improved driver" trophy I find myself in more and more of these situations and I probably still have a lot to learn about how to deal with them.

5 minutes ago, milko said:

So, was that shoddy novice racecraft or a steely-eyed snipe of an overtake that I should be proud of (if I didn't have to inwardly admit it was at least partly a mistake)? With my freshly-earned "most improved driver" trophy I find myself in more and more of these situations and I probably still have a lot to learn about how to deal with them.

Looks fine to me mate.  You had a better run through the previous corner and if you're not going to use that to attempt a pass into the next turn, especially as @Valver didn't defend by moving to the inside, you'll never pass anyone!

10 minutes ago, milko said:

@Valver this was my 'move' on you which I felt a bit iffy about because I hadn't really intended to do it at the time. Obviously you saw me coming and didn't turn in (thankyou!). I'd be grateful for any feedback/opinions on whether people think I had any business being there in the first place. Originally I'd only pulled to the side to try and see my braking point better after getting a lot closer out of the preceding turn than I'd expected. 

I was absolutely fine with that and was expecting it.  Wasn't a dive at all.  As Sharky spotted, I missed the previous apex so was slow out of that corner, and knew you had a run on me.  I figured I'd keep left rather than defend and compromise the right at the end...  (when I do that and take a new line I find that I tend to brake or turn at the wrong point and then go wide/off)    So, a perfectly fine pass from my perspective

2 minutes ago, Valver said:

I was absolutely fine with that and was expecting it.  Wasn't a dive at all.  As Sharky spotted, I missed the previous apex so was slow out of that corner, and knew you had a run on me.  I figured I'd keep left rather than defend and compromise the right at the end...  (when I do that and take a new line I find that I tend to brake or turn at the wrong point and then go wide/off)    So, a perfectly fine pass from my perspective

I'd have kept left in that situation too, just because I'd have known the mistake in the previous turn was mine and I wouldn't want to turn it into someone else's problem.  I had a run on someone coming out of the final quick chicane at Bathurst in a league race once, because the other driver had made a mistake.  I was already just about alongside him on the run down to the final corner and he defended to the left and drove me off the track :facepalm: