Jump to content

Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu


scoobysi
 Share

Recommended Posts

Heres the 1:53.160 lap. Chicane was quite slow... I wonder if the server sometimes loses the set start time because it was night here?

 

https://streamable.com/d2rf6l

 

Does anyone else adjust setups? GT4s dont have a whole lot that can be changed, but things like excessive over or understeer can be fixed. I'm no master with setups but I know the basics so can try to help, and I'm sure many others know a lot about setups

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Erik said:

Heres the 1:53.160 lap. Chicane was quite slow... I wonder if the server sometimes loses the set start time because it was night here?

 

https://streamable.com/d2rf6l

 

Does anyone else adjust setups? GT4s dont have a whole lot that can be changed, but things like excessive over or understeer can be fixed. I'm no master with setups but I know the basics so can try to help, and I'm sure many others know a lot about setups

 

You make it look so easy! :blink:

 

I adjust my setup, but I won't share it with you. Unless you want to be slower. ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Erik said:

Heres the 1:53.160 lap. Chicane was quite slow... I wonder if the server sometimes loses the set start time because it was night here?

 

https://streamable.com/d2rf6l

 

Does anyone else adjust setups? GT4s dont have a whole lot that can be changed, but things like excessive over or understeer can be fixed. I'm no master with setups but I know the basics so can try to help, and I'm sure many others know a lot about setups

Thanks for sharing that video.  Its really interesting - as you are so much faster than me (3 secs/lap).  I'm taking almost the same lines (maybe I could cut the chicane a bit more aggressively) but I can see that in a significant number of corners you are a whole gear higher than me.   If I try and brake less and enter the corner with that sort of speed I either understeer so that I miss my apex, or I go wide at exit.  I'm intrigued to know where the grip you have is coming from...  or maybe my turn in points still  just aren't right?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Valver said:

can see that in a significant number of corners you are a whole gear higher than me


from memory the Beemer has quite low gear ratios so you tend to be in one higher than other cars around corners. 
Normal disclaimer about not really knowing what I’m talking about applies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

my thing is that I can't seem to get on the power as early as the fast people. Trying generally results in my spinning out with oversteer or understeering wide, I'm trying to learn this "let the diff rotate the car" biz but it's hard. I've had no time to practice this week (thank god it's a 'friendly') but will try to get on tonight I think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah gear ratios vary greatly between cars that they can't be compared really. I often shift down one when I hit the apex of a tight corner so that I can accelerate out of it a bit quicker. Depends on the revs, which I'm always using to determine the gears I should be in.

 

Milko, just up the TC a bit mate. In the McLarry I have increased it one tick (default aggressive setup) so I can go on the throttle a bit sooner without oversteering.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Meers said:

Milko, just up the TC a bit mate. In the McLarry I have increased it one tick (default aggressive setup) so I can go on the throttle a bit sooner without oversteering.

 

I've gone the other way in the McLaren... taken ABS and TC down to 1!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, davejm said:

 

I've gone the other way in the McLaren... taken ABS and TC down to 1!

 

Yes, but you're a madman so that's to be expected of you. :P

 

Seriously though, that is interesting. I found the standard aggro setup already oversteery out of corners, so you have to be very careful on the throttle running TC1!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Meers said:

 

Yes, but you're a madman so that's to be expected of you. :P

 

Seriously though, that is interesting. I found the standard aggro setup already oversteery out of corners, so you have to be very careful on the throttle running TC1!

 

Yeah it needs some precise inputs.  This is what lets me down in the GT4s usually, at the end of races when I'm a bit more tired I start to get sloppy with my inputs and that's when I bin it or my pace drops off.  Hoping that these run of weeks practicing in the GT4s will pay off though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Meers said:

Milko, just up the TC a bit mate. In the McLarry I have increased it one tick (default aggressive setup) so I can go on the throttle a bit sooner without oversteering.

 

I'm not sure about this tbh, upping the TC might kill the 'rotate the car with the diff' effect @milko was talking about.  You need a bit of tyre slip to rotate the car effectively on the throttle.  As always though, setup is a compromise and if it gives you more confidence in the car that's what matters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

 

I'm not sure about this tbh, upping the TC might kill the 'rotate the car with the diff' effect @milko was talking about.  You need a bit of tyre slip to rotate the car effectively on the throttle.  As always though, setup is a compromise and if it gives you more confidence in the car that's what matters.

 

I try to minimise tyre slip as much as I can (just enough to keep a tiny bit of it to prevent the TC from killing the acceleration). I don't have a heavy foot, but I don't like having a nervous car to wrestle all race long. I'd rather sacrifice something to get a stable platform and be consistent in the long run.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Valver said:

Thanks for sharing that video.  Its really interesting - as you are so much faster than me (3 secs/lap).  I'm taking almost the same lines (maybe I could cut the chicane a bit more aggressively) but I can see that in a significant number of corners you are a whole gear higher than me.   If I try and brake less and enter the corner with that sort of speed I either understeer so that I miss my apex, or I go wide at exit.  I'm intrigued to know where the grip you have is coming from...  or maybe my turn in points still  just aren't right?

 

I think its mostly just BMW's weird gearing. I found if I downshift mid corner it often wants to snap oversteer(engine brake?) so I hold that higher gear far into a corner and downshift only when I'm about to get back on throttle, unless I can downshift during straight line braking before turn in point. You can see this in T5 and 2nd to last corner. Its very important to carry speed through corners because GT4s dont have the power to weight ratio of GT3s and acceleration takes time. I try to trail brake very deep into all corners, avoid kerbs that upset the car the worst and use just a touch of throttle in long corners to maintain speed. As you can see I'm often on brake and throttle simultaneously to keep the car balanced. The setup is very close to aggressive, just couple of mm higher rear ride height and lower toe.

 

If you can touch apexes your turn in points should be more or less right. We can compare our braking points, turn in points, apex speeds etc. from video but we can also use telemetry and MoTeC. I didnt record telemetry yet but I can try to match this time and save the telemetry for comparison. You can also record a lap of yours, telemetry or video, and let us see it, because others tend to see mistakes that you cant. ;)

 

Regarding rotating car in corner exits, more rear ARB and higher rear ride height also induce oversteer. I personally dont like high differential preload, I find it tends to make rear snappy and induces turn in understeer

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/05/2021 at 14:19, SharkyOB said:

 

Did it have the same effect on you as it did on @SANtoOos last week??

 

Randy.jpg.ab226326d0855bcdf026e3563bdd5f0f.jpg

Hahahaha mate you should have told me you still have access to the webcam in your old PC. 

 

3 hours ago, Erik said:

As you can see I'm often on brake and throttle simultaneously to keep the car balanced. 

Rally technique! Did you say you're Finnish? 

 

Gutted I'm not around feels like I'm missing out on a lot of stuff here, but I'm also having the time of my life in the studio :D see yous soon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, SANtoOos said:

Rally technique! Did you say you're Finnish? 

 

These Finns and being fed cars from an early age! It's an outrage! They give us all a disadvantage. :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Valver, Took me some time to unlearn BMW and learn Porsche a bit, I still am not confident with it, but here is a Porsche setup for Hungaroring I just made for myself. I mainly wanted to deal with the oversteer when putting power down. Maybe you will like it, no refunds. I turned some fast laps starting with 35 liters, still many mistakes so dont expect miracles, heres the video: https://streamable.com/559vhs

 

Below are the setup and and motec telemetry files(I dont know if you need both or just one) if you want to compare your driving to mine in the same car and setup.

 

setup: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Lyo1TxXs-shk2JNwzmPQDwMQ5PNirv54/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bCk1w2Dfa-PpzlaOsTjhMPPrAaTn1aK6/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c9pX-MQ1xtK7bZlHQmnlg0WkiFGEEvm9/view?usp=sharing

 

Like many things in life practice makes you perfect!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll have to give that a try. Nice to see you briefly just then while I messed around, for some reason it didn't let me save my setup so I hopped offline where it worked again... dunno. Not feeling it so far, tonight! It's going to need a lot of practice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just had a session trying to concentrate hard on trail braking and being smoother; and adjusted my braking points slightly earlier at a couple of spots. 

 

Have now joined @Erik in the 1:53s club :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Erik said:

@Valver, Took me some time to unlearn BMW and learn Porsche a bit, I still am not confident with it, but here is a Porsche setup for Hungaroring I just made for myself. 

 

Wow, thanks! :wub:

 

I'll give that a try

 

 

 

image.png.8ac031a9d1b446b43254129fd9e7d226.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, davejm said:

Just had a session trying to concentrate hard on trail braking and being smoother; and adjusted my braking points slightly earlier at a couple of spots. 

 

Have now joined @Erik in the 1:53s club :)

 

Well done, the magic is all in braking and smooth inputs! 1:53.088 for me, if I spent all evening stringing best sectors(or trick server to go back to night or early morning) I could do 1:52.8 but not tonight, sweat has glued me to seat again :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, milko said:

for some reason it didn't let me save my setup

 

yeah I have a problem somewhere, and reinstalling the game hasn't helped. Can't save setups with most cars (the Alpine is an exception? Huh?) - it just says it can't save the preset. And if I try to make a new livery, it crashes the game. What the hell.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 @milko could be that game has no access to my files?/ACC folder, or cant write there. Setups and custom liveries both go there. What happens if you run the game as admin?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, milko said:

 

yeah I have a problem somewhere, and reinstalling the game hasn't helped. Can't save setups with most cars (the Alpine is an exception? Huh?) - it just says it can't save the preset. And if I try to make a new livery, it crashes the game. What the hell.

 

Do you always run steam as an administrator?  I've had problems with game saves before if I don't do that, so I have my shortcut set to always start as admin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah!  Looking forward to tonight and a solid mid-field finish!

 

Haven't had much time to practice as I've been doing video editing for an online event my band's got this weekend.  I'll be working on that when I get home, but I'll defo be there for a bit of practice before the race.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.