Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu

5 minutes ago, milko said:

@davejm if I miss the quali, can I still join and start at the back of the grid, do you know? Still juggling my evening, just want to have all possibilities accounted for :)

Yep you can join the race at any time.  Would be great to see you on track, even if you join late.  Part of the fun (for all I think) is having all the GT3 and GT4 cars on track at the same time so I think it's gonna be fun even if you joined late.  We have 24 sign ups so far.

36 minutes ago, milko said:

@Meers if you're still feeling rough I would recommend just resting rather than racing, it took me weeks to get over mystery-virus-probably-Covid around this time last year.

I think we had it last year too, feels about the same but with a very nasty cough. No testing back then so no proof. 

I think I'll follow your advice. Can't find the energy to practice either.

I was on while those 1.27's were flying in . Pretty impressive. I did a couple of races last night and managed to get a 131 in on one of them, but that's about it. Is this going out on youtube as well ?

33 minutes ago, mrben09 said:

I was on while those 1.27's were flying in . Pretty impressive. I did a couple of races last night and managed to get a 131 in on one of them, but that's about it. Is this going out on youtube as well ?

No I don't think so.  Power Q hasn't posted a video in nearly a month now (he's got a new job, and by all accounts is struggling to find the time to make content).  I've added him to the entry list but it's very unlikely he'll be on.

I'm hoping to be on later, but I'm having a fairly major issue with my PC.  It's randomly minimising the window when I'm playing games, so dumping me back to the desktop.  The game doesn't crash though, so it's like something is taking focus away from the game, but nothing else is open on my PC (apart from the game launcher, happens with both Steam and Epic Games).  When I go back to the game it's paused, but then this happens again a few minutes later.  I've been trying to troubleshoot it over the last few nights and I've eliminated quite a few things already, but still no closer to a solution.  If I can't fix it later I definitely won't be able to race.

55 minutes ago, milko said:

weird. Have you got any USB/wireless keyboards around? If I clumsily grab my keyboard while in VR I can hit a couple of buttons that would have that sort of effect, but then it's hardly happening at a random time is it. Any pets loitering nearby? :)

Guess you tried all these already?

https://digicruncher.com/games-minimizing-to-desktop/

It's happening on non-VR games so I'd know if it was random keyboard presses or my cat making a nuisance of herself.  Yeah, I've tried to work through the steps on a similar guide, but nothing seems to help.  I also thought it might be hardware related at first, so I've spent a bit of time investigating settings on my new TV and amp, but I'm pretty sure it's not either of those now.

I'm actually pretty much resigned to a fresh install of windows as soon as I get in, if that doesn't cure it I don't know what to do.

I suppose the next steps are to unplug everything USB and non-essential (e.g. go direct to a display, no amp) and add one at a time after a good test with each, but it's so tedious.

6 minutes ago, milko said:

I suppose the next steps are to unplug everything USB and non-essential (e.g. go direct to a display, no amp) and add one at a time after a good test with each, but it's so tedious.

I could do, but I'm pretty sure it's not hardware related as nothing has changed in my setup.  Most people online who've had the same issue say it's down to background programs stealing focus away from the game, but I can't work out how to identify which program it might be.  

Loads of the guides also say 'close unnecessary background processes'.  How you're supposed to tell what's necessary and what isn't is a mystery to me.

Good luck and enjoy the race tonight everyone. I'm still pretty knocked out so I'm gonna give racing a pass.

Linda's got it now as well (tested positive today), and the kids too judging by their coughing and them not being their usual selves. Bloody nice... <_<

lol that was quite chastening - not enough track practice or car setup time in the unfamiliar GT4 equals a bit of a struggle for me. Also no time to join quali so the back of the grid start, I actually got a nice run into the first chicane and stood to gain some places but I messed up and gave someone a gentle punt. The rest of the 90 minutes was a struggle from then on! Messed up my pit limiter and got my first ever drive-thru penalty, then I got my second for track cuts. Had to change tyres and then pit for damage later, and never felt comfortable, what a nightmare. About all I can say is I got some good practice for getting out of the way of the GT3 guys and it was fun to see you all zipping past.

Back to GT3 for the Donington season finale then!

Oh I forgot the other thing that didn't help - I forgot to turn the room light on and after a few laps my VR headset started to lose tracking so my viewpoint would flicker around to different places in the cockpit, it was quite disorientating! Took me til my second pitstop to have worked it out and make a dash to a lightswitch :lol:

Glad you could join us @milko, even though it sounds like your race could have gone much better!

You were super fast @Valver, great overtake on me then you sailed off into the distance.  Shame you couldn't get a podium but top of the rllmuk guys!  Represented us nicely!

Apologies to the GT4 guys, and also @batistutauk for my erratic overtaking.  It's definitely something i need to work on.  It was brilliant fun tonight though!

Really enjoyed that. 

As a GT3 driver, mixed class racing was great fun.  So much overtaking kept me on my toes such that the hour and a half flew by!  And the GT4 drivers were without fault, all brilliant.  I tried my best to pass cleanly and wait for a passing spot, rather than just barging my way through, I hope I was doing it right.  One guy in a Porsche moved to the side on a straight to let me pass, and after I went ahead I could see him drop in behind me via my rear view mirror, and like the VR-idiot I am, I raised my arm to the to say thanks.  Doh! :doh:  VR does that to you.

There were a couple of GT4s later in the race that I struggled to overtake though - some of those guys are fast!

Found it a bit odd that everyone had their real names - but I could work out a few forumites from their car liveries which was some comfort.

Qualified 6th - finished 4th.  Very pleased with that.    The replay isn't as action packed as the race felt from my perspective - it skips over my legitimate amazing pass on @davejm in the first lap or so.   But here it is anyhow!

Just remembered my other embarrassment, I spun on the final chicane of the formation lap :doh: so bad. Only just catching up when the lights went green. 

PC woes seem to be fixed but there's no way I could've raced last night unfortunately.  I had to reinstall windows in the end and I'd just about got everything ACC related installed/configured when you guys were on the starting grid.

I've also bought a new VR headset, so I needed some time to get that sorted.  I now have a HP Reverb G2!  First impressions are very good and Assetto Corsa looks incredible :wub: Still got more work to do on ACC though and I need to get my head around how the Windows Mixed Reality software works in conjunction with Steam VR; I'm so used to Oculus it feels a bit daunting at the moment!

That was all kinds of fun! I'm getting concerned that @milko and I are somehow related though. Last night was also my first ever stop-go penalty, and I've had my VR headset stop because it got dark before.

Owing to being dead tired and that the adrenaline having worn off, when leaving the pits on my first stop I changed up into second which turns off the limiter. Doh.

Then I got tagged going into T1, so I spent a lot of time racing around on my own.

Apart from the GT3s! It was fantastic being in the mix as they raced each other whilst trying to avoid us GT4s. Near the end of the race the guy I was racing in front mistook me for @davejm and moved over to let me past. Bosh, place stolen. I bet he was less than happy :) There was something cool about being overtaken by a GT3 car and going "ooh, that's @Valver:)

Great racing from the 'other guys' too. Nice to see we're not a unique group in being able to race without playing bumper cars.

And, how good is Crew Chief in multi-class races? "There's a bunch of faster cars approaching and they're racing for position". And, "There's a fast car approaching. It's the class leader." Really adds to the immersion - I must give that guy some cash.

All in all, a crap race on paper, but I still beat 2 guys despite a 30 sec stop-go, and it was great fun, so all in all - 5/5 would race again.

Lastly, thanks must go to @davejm for arranging it all. Really appreciate how much time and effort it must all take.

Wish I was there. Sounds amazing from the stories here.

Is it an idea to do this more often? 

Meanwhile, I feel like I've been hit by a bus. Just a flu my arse.

51 minutes ago, Meers said:

Wish I was there. Sounds amazing from the stories here.

Is it an idea to do this more often? 

Meanwhile, I feel like I've been hit by a bus. Just a flu my arse.

Hope you all get well soon mate.  

I wonder if some of the guys who raced last night would be up for joining the forum/our championship?  Dave and I could probably reach out on the PQ Discord channel.

I like the idea of reaching out to see if any of those guys want to join us.

Before I do, I'm on the look out for new server hosts.  RackService have given notice of closure of their gaming services.  I found a couple of alternatives to look at so nothing too much to worry about, but I'll get that sorted before we prod the PowerQ guys, just in case.

At the moment we only have until the end of the month, but at least we're ok for the final race of the season.

Thanks @milko, it's been costing around a fiver a month with a kunos forum referral discount so it barely seemed worth faffing around asking people to chip in for it.  A few peeps have offered to help in the past (which is appreciated), but I've enjoyed doing all the hosting duties and I take so much fun from the game the cost feels like pennies to me.

Plus, it feels like one way that I'm giving back to the rllmuk community that I've been a part of since the edge forum days.

It does look like the any new hosting service might cost a bit more, but I'm thinking of switching to an AWS hosting server anyway which means I can do other stuff with it besides ACC.

I'll definitely go with a new provider but if i do take on another dedicated hosting service (i.e. an ACC specific gaming service rather than AWS) and the price feels like too much of a hike I'll let you guys know. :)

2 hours ago, davejm said:

I'll definitely go with a new provider but if i do take on another dedicated hosting service (i.e. an ACC specific gaming service rather than AWS) and the price feels like too much of a hike I'll let you guys know. :)

Please do - I know Ive had so much fun from your efforts that I'd be more than happy to chip in with any ongoing costs.

BTW - Is the rllmuk server password for the championship practice changing back to what is was previously?