Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu

25 minutes ago, milko said:

FWIW I went through all of them and did at least a few laps on a track I'd been practicing, and I seemed quite consistent in finding myself about 0.5-1s faster in the Honda, so I took that for this season. The general opinion in ACC communities seems to be that it's one of the slowest cars, so I dunno what that says! I am wondering if what I've learned in the last 'rllmuk season' would make me get on better in something else and maybe I should try one of the popular cars for a bit longer. I do quite like being different though!

If I were you I'd at least give the Aston a go, probably the Merc too for its magic ability to drive over kerbs smoothly. None of this will really make a material difference to going faster except that if one seems to suit you better 'out of the box' on preset setups then you'll find it easier to concentrate on your racing lines and skills which is where the time's actually saved. 

Yeah, I’ll give some more a go. I might have tried the Merc for a lap or two, not sure. 

I definitely noticed the Ferrari being a lot better than the Lambo so I can at least feel some difference between them. 

It’s quite possible a slightly slower car would be better for me as a learner if it’s easier to keep within a range - sometimes it feels easier to maintain speed on a corner than if you’re braking from a higher speed where it’s easy to panic a bit and slow too much. 

I think I might be liking the Lexus. It has a much less wiggly back end and even lets me get away with a little slide occasionally that I’ll lose in other cars. 

Did a 1:55 at Monza in the default set up, didn’t touch anything. My best with reduced fuel and aggressive set ups and various attempt at fiddling with the Ferrari was 1:57. 

Didn’t mind the BMW either but the Lexus edged it. It seems to understand my style more...

There you go. @SANtoOosis our runaway leader in one of those so it can’t be that bad. 

Give ‘em a try on one of the tighter tracks, Oulton Park is a reasonable example, see if the same kind of feelings and times happen for you there too. 

9 minutes ago, milko said:

There you go. @SANtoOosis our runaway leader in one of those so it can’t be that bad. 

Give ‘em a try on one of the tighter tracks, Oulton Park is a reasonable example, see if the same kind of feelings and times happen for you there too. 

I was trying Spa too but Monza’s the one I’ve had the most practice on. 

I thought I’d try the crazy Porsche people

talk about and did a 1:56 so maybe there’s something there. 

I liked the Audi too, it seemed quite similar to the Ferrari. Nice, but a little less forgiving than the Lexus. 

The server is set up with a looping practice session.  Search for 'rllmuk' as usual, but use the password zolder to connect.   I'm using an entry list for this week, so only those that have registered can connect (so that I can be sure that we don't go over capacity).  The info for the race next week has been shared on the PowerQ discord and members there have subsequently shared, so hopefully we'll still see a few more entrants. 

We currently have 22 sign ups with an 11/11 split between GT3 and GT4! :)

You can sign up here if you haven't already...

13 hours ago, milko said:

13 hours ago, Pockets said:

I thought I’d try the crazy Porsche people

talk about and did a 1:56 so maybe there’s something there. 

I liked the Audi too, it seemed quite similar to the Ferrari. Nice, but a little less forgiving than the Lexus. 

@Pockets The Lexus is a great all round car, very stable. It has a "stiff"/planted feel on weight transfer which might be good for a beginner as it potentially makes weight transfer easier to deal with, at least until you learn the ropes and take it to the limit. And it takes curbs really well! However, to me at least, it feels terrible around Oulton Park, it's harsh and doesn't like those slow chicaces with quick direction changes, it's heavy and sluggish. Good news is it feels good on every other track I raced on. Try it on Brands Hatch or Nurburgring for a different feel.

It's apparently the heaviest car in the game which gives it good traction but higher tyre degradation, so don't be afraid to put that traction control up! 

I'm gonna change cars for the next season as after 3 seasons of stiff cars I feel like driving something looser and more "alive" like a Ferrari or Mercedes. The Porsche feels amazing to drive in some circuits and it might give you a good feel for how a car feels on the limit, some other cars don't tell you you're on the limit of traction and suddenly give out with no notice. The Porsche is always on the limit of traction which is fun! But try it on a really fast corner with a short stab of the brakes and quick change of direction and that will make you give up on it immediately :lol: Heard aliens saying it gives you bad habits as you have to drive it in its own way and you can't carry over the technique into other cars. Also because of the position of the fuel tank, the weight balance changes considerably as you use up your fuel and you need to adjust your driving, so quite a lot to deal with there!

Feeling frustrated with the game at the moment.  Well, not with the game as such but my relationship with it. 

I'm really enthusiastic over the weekend and early in the week I can put in some good practice sessions and really feel like I can do something good on race day.  But then Thursday rolls around and I'm absolutely shattered from a week of work and there's no doubt that affects how I race.

Plus, I have no consistency.  I can do a good session one day, then an awful one another day when I'm tired or otherwise.

I might change from the Ferrari.  I'm fast in it over a given lap, and when I try other cars I'm 2 seconds a lap slower.  But taking myself out of the fights for the top positions might force me to work on my consistency a bit more or be more involved in closer racing with some other guys.

I dunno.  Bit of a waffling post and I'll probably end up sticking with the Ferrari knowing me (I've tried other cars before).  Just feeling a bit meh at the mo.

7 minutes ago, davejm said:

Just feeling a bit meh at the mo.

Sounds like you need to buy yourself some more sim-hardware to cheer yourself up,  Have you thought about getting a USB handbrake for example? :D

19 minutes ago, davejm said:

I might change from the Ferrari.  I'm fast in it over a given lap, and when I try other cars I'm 2 seconds a lap slower.  But taking myself out of the fights for the top positions might force me to work on my consistency a bit more or be more involved in closer racing with some other guys.

May I suggest the Lexus? You can have my car and I'll take your Ferrari, save us a bit of cash! :eyebrows: Since I started to drive it, I only spun it once on a race (by myself that is), coincidentally at the last one. The traction control on that car is really great, lowest I go is 4/8 on quali, and you can go as high as 7/8 and it doesn't bog the car down like it does in other cars. In fact that's what I should have set it to when I started losing pressure at Oulton, but forgot to.

Sorry to hear you're feeling a bit meh, I'm sure you'll find your mojo back, but yeah maybe a car change and fresh start could do it. 

30 minutes ago, Valver said:

Sounds like you need to buy yourself some more sim-hardware to cheer yourself up,  Have you thought about getting a USB handbrake for example? :D

Contemplating a direct drive and Formula V2 rim :o

1 hour ago, davejm said:

But then Thursday rolls around and I'm absolutely shattered from a week of work and there's no doubt that affects how I race.

from what I’ve seen in my sport of choice (mtb), chugging a red bull/monster immediately before an event might be your tactic here! 

I struggle a bit some weeks, a long day and I’m usually dashing to make qualifying after putting my kid to bed so I’m barely warmed up by the time race starts. I’ve managed to change the routine slightly to join earlier which helped a bit with that part at least. Then I rely on adrenaline for the rest. No doubt it’s helping that I’m in an improvement phase though, it’s always harder if things are stagnating. 

4 hours ago, SANtoOos said:

@Pockets The Lexus is a great all round car, very stable. It has a "stiff"/planted feel on weight transfer which might be good for a beginner as it potentially makes weight transfer easier to deal with, at least until you learn the ropes and take it to the limit. And it takes curbs really well! However, to me at least, it feels terrible around Oulton Park, it's harsh and doesn't like those slow chicaces with quick direction changes, it's heavy and sluggish. Good news is it feels good on every other track I raced on. Try it on Brands Hatch or Nurburgring for a different feel.

It's apparently the heaviest car in the game which gives it good traction but higher tyre degradation, so don't be afraid to put that traction control up! 

I'm gonna change cars for the next season as after 3 seasons of stiff cars I feel like driving something looser and more "alive" like a Ferrari or Mercedes. The Porsche feels amazing to drive in some circuits and it might give you a good feel for how a car feels on the limit, some other cars don't tell you you're on the limit of traction and suddenly give out with no notice. The Porsche is always on the limit of traction which is fun! But try it on a really fast corner with a short stab of the brakes and quick change of direction and that will make you give up on it immediately :lol: Heard aliens saying it gives you bad habits as you have to drive it in its own way and you can't carry over the technique into other cars. Also because of the position of the fuel tank, the weight balance changes considerably as you use up your fuel and you need to adjust your driving, so quite a lot to deal with there!

Thanks for the info. I should have looked at the features of the ones I liked and the ones I didn’t beyond car name. I definitely like the Lexus most right now but might want something livelier in the future. The McClaren feels like a slightly nippier version of it to me. Was between the two in the end. 

Interesting what you say about the Lexus being heavy, I started practising Zolder on my own as you’ve all moved onto it and following along is a good way to learn. I managed a 1:35 I think which is maybe what I’d expect for me but I did struggle to squeeze its big bum through that chicane bit. 

I’d like to work my way back into the Ferrari at some point maybe. 

Got tested positive for covid today. I was feeling a bit rough as well on Thursday, and developed an itchy cough yesterday. Slight headache too so all in all not too bad. Hopefully it doesn't get worse. No idea how I got it though. I barely go places and am very strict with the regulations. 

2 hours ago, Meers said:

Got tested positive for covid today. I was feeling a bit rough as well on Thursday, and developed an itchy cough yesterday. Slight headache too so all in all not too bad. Hopefully it doesn't get worse. No idea how I got it though. I barely go places and am very strict with the regulations. 

Hope you and family are OK Meers! Speedy recovery! 

13 hours ago, SANtoOos said:

Hope you and family are OK Meers! Speedy recovery! 

Cheers for the well-wishes everyone. So far I'm the only one who has tested positive (My fianceé, parents and sisters-in-law all tested negative this morning). The kids are too young to be tested, and my son has a nasty cough but doesn't seem too shaken by it. Like me he's a bit tired. Fingers crossed.

I'm sleeping in the attic now, next to my sim rig...

image.png.3d8962b319031c7ae0183a9c33d2c925.png

4 hours ago, Meers said:

Cheers for the well-wishes everyone. So far I'm the only one who has tested positive (My fianceé, parents and sisters-in-law all tested negative this morning). The kids are too young to be tested, and my son has a nasty cough but doesn't seem too shaken by it. Like me he's a bit tired. Fingers crossed.

I'm sleeping in the attic now, next to my sim rig...

image.png.3d8962b319031c7ae0183a9c33d2c925.png

“Better stay up here a few more days just to be safe. If you could bring me up my dinners, get my strength back. And beer, think I might need beer to help the recovery...”

18 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

I'll try to make it on later, defo up for a bit of driving!

I sent that yesterday mate :D Managed to get a good practice session and I listened to my own advice and didn't do any hotlapping; just a race fueled session to try and get some consistency.

Just now, davejm said:

I sent that yesterday mate :D Managed to get a good practice session and I listened to my own advice and didn't do any hotlapping; just a race fueled session to try and get some consistency.

Oops, was rehearsing until late night and I think I'm a bit dopey this morning :lol:

13 hours ago, davejm said:

How you feeling @Meers?

Pretty rough actually. It's definitely a step up from 'just a flu'. And I'm a healthy bloke even. Feeling somewhat better today but am rather tired. The kids have symptoms but have tested negative and the mrs is developing symptoms since today.

Not sure I can join the race come Thursday if I'm as knackered as I am now.

19 minutes ago, Meers said:

Pretty rough actually. It's definitely a step up from 'just a flu'. And I'm a healthy bloke even. Feeling somewhat better today but am rather tired. The kids have symptoms but have tested negative and the mrs is developing symptoms since today.

Not sure I can join the race come Thursday if I'm as knackered as I am now.

Sorry to hear that mate. Hope you kick it's arse and recover quickly.

It's beginning to look like I'm a 'maybe' for this weeks race too. I've got my jab this morning and in a case of spectacularly bad planning, I'm due to do a 400 mile/8hr driving round trip tomorrow, side effects permitting.

@davejm if I miss the quali, can I still join and start at the back of the grid, do you know? Still juggling my evening, just want to have all possibilities accounted for :)

@Meers if you're still feeling rough I would recommend just resting rather than racing, it took me weeks to get over mystery-virus-probably-Covid around this time last year.