Jump to content

Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu


Recommended Posts

I’m not worried about being slow or uncompetitive but crashing or spinning. I think I’d be too likely to ruin someone else’s race so I’ll wait until I’m more confident about keeping on track. I haven’t even raced the AI yet. 
 

I think my problem might be not changing gears enough. I was going through a couple of turns in Monza (after the second chicane) in third with low revs as they were quick and I couldn’t be bothered to go down to second just to come back up again but I think it makes a bigger difference than I thought. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SharkyOB said:

I'm feeling super rough after my covid vaccination yesterday.  I'm hoping to be there later but I'll have to see how I feel; no way I'd be able to drive currently. 

 

Oh mate!  Hope you're OK... good news on the vaccination though :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to leave the current server config in place until 7:30ish.  After which I'll change it to the race weekend config set to a 1am practice so we can dial in those pressures for the first race (I haven't done any night time practice as yet).

Link to post
Share on other sites

I did a quick night practice and it was like playing Dirt Rally, trying to make out the track with little more than my headlights to go on! It was nice of a full crowd to turn up and watch me try, anyway.

 

I find Oulton Park quite compulsive for setting times, I've got at least 0.5s more sitting there somewhere but it never quite seems to quite happen in a single lap. Yet every time I get to the home straight I'm convinced the next lap is the one where it'll work out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, milko said:

I did a quick night practice and it was like playing Dirt Rally, trying to make out the track with little more than my headlights to go on! It was nice of a full crowd to turn up and watch me try, anyway.

 

I find Oulton Park quite compulsive for setting times, I've got at least 0.5s more sitting there somewhere but it never quite seems to quite happen in a single lap. Yet every time I get to the home straight I'm convinced the next lap is the one where it'll work out.

 

Yeah, I'm not sure I've ever managed to hook up the perfect lap.  And I can't get bloody turn 1 right! :hmm:  It's a strange apex that seems to jut out of the corner; and If I turn in too early I bounce over it and ruin my lap but otherwise I miss it altogether and I'm slow around that bend.  Very frustrating!

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, milko said:

@SharkyOB how are you feeling mate? Seems I'd best book my jab for a Friday when my turn eventually comes.

 

Defo better now, thanks man! Gonna race tonight after all :)

 

Booking on a Friday seems wise, I felt truly awful earlier! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

woo, my first ever

R87582ba3377bd166222eab89dfd08cd1.png.76b0e5484f8c9209c6022c5297385a73.png

!

Pity I couldn't quite stick the landing, my car felt AMAZING and I even levelled my qualifying time at one point to pull away. Then the rear tyres seemed to lose grip (and their picture went a bit yellow so I guess I'd got 'em too hot) and things started to get harder, especially that bastard of a second chicane. Lost my buffer, then lost control and had a brief excursion into a wall and down to third place where I was more or less safe from then on.

 

Thanks for the races lads, another very enjoyable set. The first one seemed a little chaotic in the early laps, I felt like I got lucky in that one.

Link to post
Share on other sites

First race I took a little too much speed into turn 3 holding off @Valver which resulted in a trip to the pits in lap 3 and put paid to my race.

Second race I had to brake earlier than expected on lap one as the cars in front hurtled back towards me in turn 2 which in turn backed me towards @Meerswho collected me ( not his fault ) and the car was fucked. Goodnight. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Loved this evening's racing. 

 

Plenty of action in race 1...  sorry about my clumsy tap in to the chicane @davejm on lap1.  I cringed watching it on the replay. 

Congrats to @SANtoOos on the win.  I was very happy to eventually pass Dave again and grab a 4th place finish.

 

 

Then qually for race 2 saw @mrben09 and I have a little "moment" together.  That sent my heart rate up a bit!! I made a special vid just for you Ben.  How I avoided you, I don't really know...

 

Race 2 has a lot less action by the looks of the replay.  Well done @milko for the pole.  And congrats to @SharkyOB on the race win - made up slightly for Race 1's "new amp switching off" incident I hope.

 

 I spotted @mrben09 having a cheeky nudge on my rear bumper on lap 1 here - although I was oblivious to it in the actual race. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mrben09 said:

Second race I had to brake earlier than expected on lap one as the cars in front hurtled back towards me in turn 2 which in turn backed me towards @Meerswho collected me ( not his fault ) and the car was fucked. Goodnight. 

 

 

I was so gutted when that happened. You had nowhere to go indeed, and neither did I in that split-second moment. My race was pretty much over at that point.

 

First race was pretty good until I hit the last kerb in the first chicane at the wrong angle, which caught my tyre and sent me careering into the barrier. Everything broken. Race control told me to come in but I managed to finish the race by limping my car over the finish line before I got penalised. 

 

Better luck next week.

 

I also got some performance issues last night, whilst I hadn't changed anything to my video settings as they were perfect last race (1080p60 with just 15ms of rendering latency which was eye-opening after installing extra RAM) but I experienced some slight stuttering every few frames. So I tried an online 24 car race (with all 24 visible as a test!!!) afterwards and it ran smooth as butter. I am perplexed as to why it doesn't in our server. :wacko:

 

I've got a meeting in 30 minutes so I'll update the leaderboard afterwards.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Really enjoyed that last night!!  So glad I turned up, even though I was still feeling a bit under the weather.

 

1st race obvs went a bit wrong for me.  I knew it was going to be a tricky one when I qualified behind @SANtoOos and @SneakyNinja, as it's really hard to pass at Oulton Park unless the driver in front makes a mistake.  The start went ok (looking at the replay I think @davejm and I touched, but I didn't feel any contact at the time) and it was then just a case of sticking with Sneaky and hoping I could get past and keep up with Santos.  Wasn't to be though, as we were coming through Druids I put my outside wheels on the dirt and the car let go spectacularly, hitting the wall on the inside.  After that I had no front downforce and my pace was about 4 seconds a lap down on where it should have been.  I'm actually glad that happened though with the amp switching itself off later in the race; if that had happened while I was up front it would have been much more gutting.

 

12 hours ago, Valver said:

And congrats to @SharkyOB on the race win - made up slightly for Race 1's "new amp switching off" incident I hope.

 

It definitely did!  @milko was so quick in race 2, I had to be really on it to even keep up with him.  Real shame about the mistake but wins will defo come with that pace :)  After milko went off, it was just a case of managing the gap (and my slightly low fuel) to make sure I didn't give @SANtoOos a clear opportunity to get past.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Qually and race one where quite special to me, in my own little way. It was the first time I really gelled with my new wheel and pedals and car set up. I was at one with it all and could FEEEEEL the tyres moving. I knew where I was leaving time on the table and it felt great.

 

Out of 16 laps, 12 of them were 1:36.xx and it felt like I could do that forever. 

 

Also, the new pedals have made me realise I was trail braking wrong. I was coming off the brakes too much initially. Every corner now feels like trying to draw a freehand circle with my left foot. Get the curve right and the front end bites and swings into the corner effortlessly. Get it wrong and it snowploughs out.

 

Every day a school day...

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

just noticed my race 2 hotlap was actually slightly faster even than the pole time. Even a 22.9 in sector 1. Damn, that car was really feeling good at that point! I still find that my 'safe' pace isn't really quick enough to trouble the front runners and I just couldn't keep up the intensity like that for long enough (though I'd just started daring to dream a sprint race might be within my powers when it began to get tricky!). 

 

Things To Fix or Learn:

1. how to start the race with some kind of speed (think I was a bit better in race 2 at least)

2. how to complete a race without making a fairly major error

3. how to drive fast for more than a few laps without failing (2)

4. at that point I expect I'll be finding I have a lot to learn about overtakes and defending

5. oh yeah, how to not be so worried by people being visible in my mirrors

6. ???

7. Profit!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, milko said:

just noticed my race 2 hotlap was actually slightly faster even than the pole time. Even a 22.9 in sector 1. Damn, that car was really feeling good at that point! I still find that my 'safe' pace isn't really quick enough to trouble the front runners and I just couldn't keep up the intensity like that for long enough (though I'd just started daring to dream a sprint race might be within my powers when it began to get tricky!). 

 

Things To Fix or Learn:

1. how to start the race with some kind of speed (think I was a bit better in race 2 at least)

2. how to complete a race without making a fairly major error

3. how to drive fast for more than a few laps without failing (2)

4. at that point I expect I'll be finding I have a lot to learn about overtakes and defending

5. oh yeah, how to not be so worried by people being visible in my mirrors

6. ???

7. Profit!

 

 

8.  When all these things are figured out, tell @davejm ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, milko said:

just noticed my race 2 hotlap was actually slightly faster even than the pole time. Even a 22.9 in sector 1. Damn, that car was really feeling good at that point! I still find that my 'safe' pace isn't really quick enough to trouble the front runners and I just couldn't keep up the intensity like that for long enough (though I'd just started daring to dream a sprint race might be within my powers when it began to get tricky!).

 

I suspect what might have happened here is you've set the tyre pressures up for your pace in practice and when it came to the race your pace has improved, which has pushed the pressures higher and made the car trickier to drive.  I often find I have to reduce pressures as I get better at a track for this reason and my pressures were just above 38 in race 2 yesterday (when I'd set them at 37.5 ish in practice) because the pace was pretty high.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, milko said:

Things To Fix or Learn:

1. how to start the race with some kind of speed (think I was a bit better in race 2 at least)

2. how to complete a race without making a fairly major error

3. how to drive fast for more than a few laps without failing (2)

4. at that point I expect I'll be finding I have a lot to learn about overtakes and defending

5. oh yeah, how to not be so worried by people being visible in my mirrors

6. ???

7. Profit!

 

  1. Pretend that you're qualifying
  2. Impossible
  3. Coffee or energy drink
  4. Ask @SharkyOB and @SneakyNinja respectively
  5. Switch them off like I do and claim it's because you need the extra fps
  6. !!!
  7. Deficit
  8. Don't tell @davejm this.
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Meers said:

 

  1.  
  2. Impossible

 

I think as a result of driving the 911 for my first season (which was always trying to kill me) my approach to racing is to have a setup that allows me to maintain a pace all race, and not be on the verge of a major accident at every corner. Switching to a tame old beastie like the Aston means I can do that quite easily now. 

 

Obviously the down side is that I'm not near enough to the limit to bang out really fast laps, but that's very slowly improving as I get better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

Nah, joking aside (and for those lurking), this is a great group for sharing tips and helping everyone improve.

 

image.png.aabed7ea266780d320254cc20a455fb8.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SharkyOB said:

 

I suspect what might have happened here is you've set the tyre pressures up for your pace in practice and when it came to the race your pace has improved, which has pushed the pressures higher and made the car trickier to drive.  I often find I have to reduce pressures as I get better at a track for this reason and my pressures were just above 38 in race 2 yesterday (when I'd set them at 37.5 ish in practice) because the pace was pretty high.

 

I did have them a smidge high for race 2 but it was still just under 28 I think. Anyway, my little jaunt into the grass (and fence, urgh) cooled them off just enough, maybe I should plan for this method in future. Mostly I just needed to get better at the second chicane, I rarely felt like I hit that perfectly and it's quite slidey and bouncy when you don't.

My races have often found me with lower pressures towards the end, maybe just because of the time of day we've been racing at, so I was trying to err on the high side if anything. Tricky!

 

@Meers haha "pretend that you're qualifying" at the start, for me a quali outlap is either very careful or I usually bin it and have to start over again! 

 

What did happen to you and @mrben09 in T2 for race 2? I watched a bit of the replay and saw it compress a bit behind SneakyNinja and Valver but I couldn't really make out why. It's not at all long since I messed up 3 or 4 races in a row within the first lap so I do feel the pain.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, milko said:

 

@Meers haha "pretend that you're qualifying" at the start, for me a quali outlap is either very careful or I usually bin it and have to start over again! 

 

What did happen to you and @mrben09 in T2 for race 2? I watched a bit of the replay and saw it compress a bit behind SneakyNinja and Valver but I couldn't really make out why. It's not at all long since I messed up 3 or 4 races in a row within the first lap so I do feel the pain.

 

A quali outlap is not too risky if you have just jumped out of the tyre warmers. If your tyres are cold on the outlap, return to pits and hit Drive again for nice, cozy warm tyres.

 

Well @Valver and @mrben09 came together so Ben tried to avoid him and I was on the inside of that and we took each other out whilst Valver drove of cackling his arse off*.

 

(damn that's some high class English from me there. well I have an excuse)

 

 

*may not be true.

Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW I went through all of them and did at least a few laps on a track I'd been practicing, and I seemed quite consistent in finding myself about 0.5-1s faster in the Honda, so I took that for this season. The general opinion in ACC communities seems to be that it's one of the slowest cars, so I dunno what that says! I am wondering if what I've learned in the last 'rllmuk season' would make me get on better in something else and maybe I should try one of the popular cars for a bit longer. I do quite like being different though!

 

If I were you I'd at least give the Aston a go, probably the Merc too for its magic ability to drive over kerbs smoothly. None of this will really make a material difference to going faster except that if one seems to suit you better 'out of the box' on preset setups then you'll find it easier to concentrate on your racing lines and skills which is where the time's actually saved. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.