Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu

Wandering over here from the wheel thread as I've only just started playing this. I've got a Logitech G920 wheel and just been sinking loads of time into spinning round the Monza track, Italy to learn the ropes. I'm still on practice and gradually learning how it all goes and just managed to finish 10 clean laps without a crash or spin out in a Lambo Evo.  My best track time is around 2.02.60 seconds at the moment, still have the racing line on but I'm really struggling on the first corner after the crowd stand/crane that shoots right then an immediate left. Watching the AI racers they seem to fly around there with no issue but for me the only way I can do it is slowing down to a total crawl in second then trying to speed away right after. 

Looks way to slow in the replay compared to the others but no idea what to do. I've been building speed up to around 245mph then slamming the brakes on around the crane to roll, shift gear on the paddle to get round but there must be a better way. Any suggestions?

I'm not really in a state to go against other racers as the few times I tried practice laps with AI they get bashing me off the road, causing me to spin out.  I'm def improving as I was around 6 minutes on my first few attempts but now down close to 2 :lol: Haven't tackled any other tracks yet!

Also I only bought the main game off eBay (was £20) but it didn't come with any DLC/extra tracks. Should I be buying the rest of them or waiting til I can play it better? Not missing anything major by hanging back a bit?

42 minutes ago, extremepabs said:

Quick frame it!! It will not last long a 1 next to my name

It's there for all to see mate! :omg:

Nobody set a time this week! :quote:

6 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Also I only bought the main game off eBay (was £20) but it didn't come with any DLC/extra tracks. Should I be buying the rest of them or waiting til I can play it better? Not missing anything major by hanging back a bit?

DLC is either some great tracks or the GT4 car pack which gives you a lot of GT4 cars to drive on the same circuits. I wouldn't say you need to rush to grab them right now while you're learning the ropes unless one of them was something you've long wanted to drive. 

There's a UK GT Cup Championship series I wasn't aware of until today. Multiclass GT racing from GT3s, GT4s, cup cars etc down to Ginettas. First four races were at Donington over the weekend with a 38 car field, well worth a watch. There's an interesting tussle between what looks to be an 80's Porsche 935 and GT3 cars in race 1!

Been playing Assetto Corsa the last few days.  Some older cars with the H pattern shifter.  Although just gone back to ACC for some Oulton Park practice and couldn't even keep it on track, was all over the place after a few days of right foot braking!  

31 minutes ago, davejm said:

Been playing Assetto Corsa the last few days.  Some older cars with the H pattern shifter.  Although just gone back to ACC for some Oulton Park practice and couldn't even keep it on track, was all over the place after a few days of right foot braking!  

That will definitely screw you up. Same when I did the FM7 TT a couple of weeks ago, took me some time again to get adjusted to ACC's kick-the-pedal-through-the-floor forces after FM7's overly sensitive braking.

My lap felt mega when I was doing it.  Then I quit out of ACC to check the laptimes from last time we raced here and saw @davejm did a 1.34   :doh:  

And then there's this - set with a MOUSE AND KEYBOARD!

I give up :lol:

I've had a couple of very quick sessions offline, and I don't understand how I drove as fast last time. The setup appears to try and kill me at any opportunity. 

Well, no time from me unfortunately. Logged on last night but got a lenghty phone call pretty early on, and in the mean time had to check on our youngest as she was struggling to fall asleep and crying a lot as she's teething. By the time I could sit down again it was near bedtime so I only made sure my tyres were in the right temp and pressure zones, setup wise.

No time tonight either so I'm going in cold come Thursday.

39 minutes ago, mrben09 said:

Ah, not great. I did see you pop on and off last night. 

32 minutes ago, davejm said:

I saw you in the garage and wondered if something was up.

Yeah, and the mrs was out so I had no assistance either. I want to go cycling tonight so I have to make concessions and let the practice for Thursday go this week. :sherlock:

Was just on sorting the server config for tomorrow, so thought I'd post it up here for those that want to dial in those tyre pressures.  The first race will be at night time; with the second race later in the afternoon.

image.png.1a2df4b38d0679e940e64351d90a5350.png

Took three seconds off my time earlier. Still slow at 1:41 but keeping an eye on the green or red vs previous laps encourages the push in certain points to try to go faster each time. I start off consistently slow so pushing in just one bit will take a second off, then try to do the same in another. 

It amazing how much difference a gear change can make. Made me realise how much time can be gained by just doing things like that right. It’s not so much my line or even my overall approach but getting it all right would take 5 seconds off maybe. On one run I was more or less in line with my previous time but I didn’t change up immediately and saw half a second go up in smoke. Another time I wasn’t in a low enough gear and my reduced acceleration lost me the same. It’s easy to think they’re minor things that won’t affect a slow time like mine that much but they add up over a lap. 

@PocketsI've found  (only in the last 2 weeks !) that I'm changing down too early into the corner, which means although the engine is screaming giving me the impression that i'm going fast, I'm actually leaving tenths all over the place.

Brake first (varying degrees) then gears. You will find corners where you go round maybe in 1 or 2 (rare) gears higher, way quicker, even though the braking feels like you are going slower. And as soon as you see that green line and you are pointing the right way, floor it.

And join us tonight, They are short races, and usually fun.

22 minutes ago, mrben09 said:

@PocketsI've found  (only in the last 2 weeks !) that I'm changing down too early into the corner, which means although the engine is screaming giving me the impression that i'm going fast, I'm actually leaving tenths all over the place.

Brake first (varying degrees) then gears. You will find corners where you go round maybe in 1 or 2 (rare) gears higher, way quicker, even though the braking feels like you are going slower. And as soon as you see that green line and you are pointing the right way, floor it.

And join us tonight, They are short races, and usually fun.

Yeah, you defo don't want to change too early as I think the high revs might upset the rear of the car, by transferring shock through the transmission and into the driven rear wheels.  You should brake first, then have a nice rhythm to your downshifts so the revs stay in the same range as you brake and shift down into the corner, so as the car auto blips the throttle the revs shouldn't go too high on each downshift.

Join us tonight @Pockets, we're a friendly bunch and pace is honestly not an issue :)