Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu

27 minutes ago, Count Buffalos said:

Yeah, it still looks good at 1080p. Plus you could try increasing the resolution in small increments from the menu.

That's a bit tough on my system, I found. Instead, I up the sharpness to 100%, the temporal upscaling on and the materials from mid to high for a better image.

Thanks for the race guys, very tense for me, had something in my eye from lap 5, my race fuel consumption was way higher than practice and only clocked it on the last lap before the pitstop, stressful calculations ensued, then the connection issues, floating cars, plenty of lag, and was on my last track warning. Decided to crawl to a halt on the finish line as I really didn't want to take any extra risks, I probably crossed the line within a second of the timer finishing, sorry if that's bad form! Would normally happily go for an extra lap, but never wanted a race to finish so much as this one :lol:

But yeah great racing and driving, felt pretty clean all the way through! 

My wiggly d-pad dtopped working, as well as my pit limiter button for some reason I don't understand. They were mapped fine and after rebooting the game they worked again. Very strange.

Because of that I got a 30s SG penalty, and due to all the fiddling what the issue was, I forgot that I was at the wrong side of the pits, hence me being surprised that there was no pit crew waiting for me there.

Did well otherwise, 5th place and 4th after Raidillon in the race, only to bollocks it up again after a few laps. Great track but the pit straight and start/finish lines are just plain stupid. Why not use the GP pits? Is it because the GT grids are bigger?

Is it three warnings and THEN your next offence gets a drive-thru? I had two in this race and decided to back off a bit as it always felt easy to get one by mistake on Blanchimant. 

Had some fun but man that was a hard circuit and I don’t think my car likes it either. At the start, happy with 4th on the grid with the words “single file through Eau rouge” ringing in my ears I got a tap and then @Meerswhizzing by, that was all a bit of a wake up call. I find the Honda very hard to drive on cold tyres. Anyway, got my head down, dodged a flying @SharkyOBwho might have got past me sooner or later but not quite like that. Chased Meers and got a chance when he bodged the last chicane, got alongside and we did a little swap around La Source. Cool! 
Then I could finally settle down. Started slowly reeling in @Count Buffalosbut only when driving near-perfectly (by my own best standard) so it took a while. Just as I got him going into defensive lines I made a slip, lost time and realised my fuel was running out so decided to back off and sort my pit stop out. After the pit I was itching to get back into it but the car was horrible again on cold tyres, smashed a wall a bit and then had to slide out letting @SneakyNinjaby. Finally got it going, settled down, then as Sneaky caught Count it looked like their battle would let me catch up again and join in. Except just as that was getting close I then lost it coming out of the last corner and had to do a (very cool, honest) donut on the finish line, so it became more a case of hanging on to my place before @SharkyOBcaught me up again, which might have happened if the race had been much longer.  

I was pretty relieved in the end when @SANtoOos did that move to end the race as early as possible! Frustrating that I couldn’t be consistent enough to apply pressure to people in front of me, but happy with my final result. Hopefully the next track is one my car and me are more intuitively quick at. 

edit - Oulton Park sprint next, sweet.

Yeah, I thought you’d get me tbh, I couldn’t keep pressure in my right hand tyres that only got worse as the race progressed. @SneakyNinja pulled back a 10 second gap to overtake me on the Kemmel straight on the penultimate lap. It was a really good move despite him having the smallest of gaps to through on the right hand side. 

Really tough race.  I didn't get the tyre pressures right and lost all notion of grip after a few laps so @SANtoOos sailed off into the distance.  It got so bad at the end I could barely keep it on track, but managed to just keep enough pace to stay ahead of the rest.  Well done on the win mate!  You defo did the right thing not to do the extra lap, would have sucked for you to have lost it due to technical issues.  I was soooo glad to see the end!

I had a nice battle with @Speech for most of my race.  He was hounding me from behind constantly, with the gap yo-yo'ing backwards and forward around 1 second.  I could tell he was a bit faster than me in several corners, but not quicker enough to have an easy clean overtake.  To his credit, he hung back and waited to see if I would make a mistake. After pitting on different laps, I came out still ahead, but I had utterly lost tyre pressure - and I really struggled to get heat back into the tyres (I didn't change them)  Speech reeled me in again still waited for an error.   And it came on Lap 23 (of 25) as I messed up Eau Rouge under pressure, I had to come off the power and take the escape tarmac and he was able to cruise past me on the straight.  Bugger - but well played sir!  Very fair racing and you deserved that position.

From the replay I can see @SANtoOos connection issues.  On the final lap in the highlight video your car is warping about like crazy!  Congrats on the win and on managing to hold on to a connection to the server by the thinnest of threads! :hat:

Here's the race highlight video.  HD and 2K versions are processing as I type...

30 minutes ago, Count Buffalos said:

Yeah, I thought you’d get me tbh, I couldn’t keep pressure in my right hand tyres that only got worse as the race progressed. @SneakyNinja pulled back a 10 second gap to overtake me on the Kemmel straight on the penultimate lap. It was a really good move despite him having the smallest of gaps to through on the right hand side. 

Not sure why, but my tyres came good near the end, after taking ages to warm back up after my pit stop. 

There may have been a bit of grass involved in my overtake :) as I thought I had the widest Aston on the grid, but it seems I was mistaken. Great defending mate! 

32 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

Not sure why, but my tyres came good near the end, after taking ages to warm back up after my pit stop. 

There may have been a bit of grass involved in my overtake :) as I thought I had the widest Aston on the grid, but it seems I was mistaken. Great defending mate! 

Tbh, when i saw you were quicker I squeezed you a little more (still a car width worth of space though) until it was clear you’d get the overtake in the braking zone. I shouldn’t have done that but adrenaline etc!

Another evening of practice laps for me. Had a bit battle with @willmill early doors, but I think he caught a spin somewhere in sector one. From then on It was me and the track. I was surprised to even make the highlights. @Valver Great work on the video's . We should get our own Eurosport slot !  

@SANtoOos terrified me towards the end. I was coasting around to allow him past (he was 20 secs behind me) because I feared another fuel issue. When he arrived he was skipping around all over the place. At turn 1 I was convinced I would hit one of his many track positions !  

I think with the connection Santooos had , it may. It was pretty exceptional, and the server may be relaying the immediate change in track position out to all the other players irrespective of whether you are in sight of the actual car or not.

I imagine the network code can take a small amount of lag and deal with it using averages (like COD does). The interesting thing is, normally at that extreme stage it would boot you ( I've had it before, in fact last night in practice) .

The server stats (which show in the bottom left) were going haywire the moment I noticed his latency bar hit the red (which was around the time that he reported floating cars on track).  We've seen similar things before when @Meers was floating at the side of the track for us; yet still driving around.  I guess the net code just craps out from time to time.

15 minutes ago, Count Buffalos said:

Can lag affect the framerate? Mine was noticeably choppy in the race, which is unusual. 

My frame rate was ok (in VR so it sacrifices everything to keep it constant) but I did get far more micro pauses than usual. Like when someone joins the server. A couple of times my headset went black for a few tenths which made a couple of braking point more exciting than usual :) 

But to be fair, I’m still very impressed by how well all this tech holds up and lets a bunch of us from all over the place race together. 

19 minutes ago, Count Buffalos said:

Can lag affect the framerate? Mine was noticeably choppy in the race, which is unusual. 

Most definitely. It was an issue in Forza Motorsport online as well at times. Similar to this actually.

I did the race in 1440p last night and with the mirrors on (and a couple of other non-essential fancyness on low for compensation) I was zooming along at a steady 50fps. I was very impressed, it seems that the added (and faster) RAM has a positive effect on alleviating CPU stress. As I said yesterday, the frametime graph line (through MSI Afterburner) is almost completely flat which means no stutters/freezes or other fluctuations. But when the high latency issues occured, it started to chop a bit more on my end as well. To make sure it wasn't caused by me this time, I asked Sharky if I was lagging when he passed me.

I also overclocked the memory frequency of my GTX1050 to nearly its max (it was on the safe overclock before) which also helped as I can play in 2K with the mirrors on now. Temps are ~ 75°C so there's still room for moar powerrrrr when I use the fan pad again. I think I'm slowly starting to understand all this PC hardware nonsense now.

Just now, davejm said:

The server stats (which show in the bottom left) were going haywire the moment I noticed his latency bar hit the red (which was around the time that he reported floating cars on track).  We've seen similar things before when @Meers was floating at the side of the track for us; yet still driving around.  I guess the net code just craps out from time to time.

Leave the flying Dutchman out of this! :blah:

I'll post the results in a bit.

Was a terrible race for me last night, firstly, wheel decided to unplug itself just at the start of quali and had to reboot the PC, then during the race was racing with @mrben09 until I managed to spin and put myself in last place. Was trying too hard to catch up and caught the kerb and spun into the wall resulting in a 3 minute pitstop for repairs. Then on my outlap, managed to spin at the exact same corner and hit the same wall, so decided enough was enough and rage quit. It's only lucky that the mic is on push-to-talk otherwise you would be amazed at how many swear words you can fit in one sentence :)

I won't be racing for a while - going on to nightshift next week for 3 weeks or more, but I'll look forward to the highlights on a Friday.

14 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

I’m still very impressed by how well all this tech holds up and lets a bunch of us from all over the place race together. 

Indeed, it's a marvel of technology. I'm on fibre over here with a theoretical dl of 1000Mbit/s (250 up) so I should be alright connecting from way over here.

4 minutes ago, willmill said:

Was a terrible race for me last night, firstly, wheel decided to unplug itself just at the start of quali and had to reboot the PC

Oh man, that's unlucky. The same happened to me (in the practice session luckily) but I was bricking it and hoping it wouldn't happen in the race. Looks like the connector in my wheel base is a bit loose. Gonna have a look today and see what causes it.

1 minute ago, Meers said:

Dave, I get an error on these links. Can you post them again please?

Can you try again?  The website is something down but seems to be working OK now.

7 minutes ago, davejm said:

Can you try again?  The website is something down but seems to be working OK now.

Works again, cheers!

On 01/04/2021 at 23:06, davejm said:

Nice one mate! :)  Just one correction... I got fastest lap in the second race!

Amended this in the table as well:

image.png.8d5506c536104ab6a37e9a7cc6632e82.png

I've dropped in the rankings like the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs. 

2 hours ago, Meers said:

Oof, so it was Santos who was lagging and causing the high latency judging by the end of that replay?

56 minutes ago, mrben09 said:

@SANtoOos terrified me towards the end. I was coasting around to allow him past (he was 20 secs behind me) because I feared another fuel issue. When he arrived he was skipping around all over the place. At turn 1 I was convinced I would hit one of his many track positions !  

Yup sorry guys! Mr.Ben I was terrified as well. Proposed mod for ACC, quantum polygon radar, only gives you the probability of my car being at any of those multiple positions