Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu

@SweatyTravolta so sorry about tagging you twice in the first race. The first time I was losing control evading some other crashing, the second time was just me misjudging how long it would take a heavy GT4 to stop, really crappy of me. I hope you enjoyed the duel after that, I had a good time trying to catch you. At least I stayed away from you in race 2, nice podium!

So, it was the extra lap at the end that done for me in the first race. It was a shame because even though I wasn't the fastest I kept it on track, and seem to able to pull away on a couple of corners just enough to keep others behind me. Lessons learned and all that. Thanks to all those that didn't plow into the back of me at the Suzuka hairpin. I was very aware I was braking early to get round, but that was the only way I found that would get me back up the hill in quick time. 

For the wet race I just need to sort my shit out.

1 hour ago, Mr Majestyk said:

Spun at the chicane on on the 2nd race which left me dead last, but clambered back to 4th using all my skills and know-how (a/k/a luck). 

you were pretty quick! There was a while where I seemed to be able to fight for the place with you but by the end there was no catching up again, I got stuck 5 seconds back. 

Hope you and @batistutaukand @SweatyTravoltacan join some more of our races, that was fun. 

Wow, that was phenomenal! What a difference the reinstall and disk cleanup made - no stutters or freezing and a rock-solid 1080p60. It really affected my performance on track, in a good way this time. :wub:

First place in both races to boot! The race at Suzuka was the best race I've ever had, such an awesome sight with everyone battling it out in front. Special mention to @mrben09 and @willmill for having a blistering pace up front. Felt gutted to see Will make that braking mistake in the hairpin, and Ben running out of fuel in the penultimate lap. I also witnessed a strong @extremepabs nearly colliding with Sharky and running off track as a result.

@SneakyNinja, sorry to have tapped you after that overtake (and what an overtake it was if I do say so myself). Thankfully it didn't end in tears. And that incident in the hairpin was @Mr Majestyk missing his braking point and hit my rear, which caused me to hit you. No biggie, we promptly moved on and gave you the position back (whilst @SharkyOB took advantage of it, cheeky!)

Great to see the @Mr Majestyk, @batistutauk and @SweatyTravolta back on the virtual track! Great racing all around! 8-)

To showcase how ACC runs on my system now, I've recorded the replay of the entire Suzuka race from my PoV. I hope you enjoy it.

Really enjoyed that last night, despite the audio issues in race 2 (my own stupid fault).  Even though I was a few laps down it was really fun pushing the car in those conditions :)

27 minutes ago, Meers said:

To showcase how ACC runs on my system now, I've recorded the replay of the entire Suzuka race from my PoV.

Looking really good mate; you have shadows and everything!  I know it's postponed at the moment, but I hope you can do an upgrade at some point so you can use mirrors.  I honestly don't know how you manage to race without them!!

34 minutes ago, Meers said:

Wow, that was phenomenal! What a difference the reinstall and disk cleanup made - no stutters or freezing and a rock-solid 1080p60. It really affected my performance on track, in a good way this time. :wub:

First place in both races to boot! The race at Suzuka was the best race I've ever had, such an awesome sight with everyone battling it out in front. Special mention to @mrben09 and @willmill for having a blistering pace up front. Felt gutted to see Will make that braking mistake in the hairpin, and Ben running out of fuel in the penultimate lap. I also witnessed a strong @extremepabs nearly colliding with Sharky and running off track as a result.

@SneakyNinja, sorry to have tapped you after that overtake (and what an overtake it was if I do say so myself). Thankfully it didn't end in tears. And that incident in the hairpin was @Mr Majestyk missing his braking point and hit my rear, which caused me to hit you. No biggie, we promptly moved on and gave you the position back (whilst @SharkyOB took advantage of it, cheeky!)

Great to see the @Mr Majestyk, @batistutauk and @SweatyTravolta back on the virtual track! Great racing all around! 8-)

To showcase how ACC runs on my system now, I've recorded the replay of the entire Suzuka race from my PoV. I hope you enjoy it.

Haha, brilliant races!

Thanks for posting that video, it's really interesting to watch my driving from your perspective. Especially as we're in the same cars. It's pretty obvious that I'm not using all of the track, and have a bit too much understeer, but hell, that was FUN.

In the wet Imola race it took me half the race to realise I had the TC up too high. It was on 3/3, which was handy to avoid all the people out braking themselves ;) and other shenanigans, but for raw pace when hunting you down it hurt. After turning it down I was getting much better traction on corner exits and was closing the gap. Another 10 mins and I would have been on your bumper :)

Oh, and I will play the 'new gear' card as an excuse. It seems my new setup amplifies my braking inconsistencies. When I get it right, it feels like I'm Hamilton and can feeeel it. But when I get it wrong, the effects are worse too. Luckily there are a million and one options when it comes to brake pedal tinkering....

Well done on the double victories mate, well deserved.

1 hour ago, SneakyNinja said:

In the wet Imola race it took me half the race to realise I had the TC up too high. It was on 3/3, which was handy to avoid all the people out braking themselves ;) and other shenanigans, but for raw pace when hunting you down it hurt. After turning it down I was getting much better traction on corner exits and was closing the gap. Another 10 mins and I would have been on your bumper :)

Yeah, I think the TC/ABS is generally way too high on the wet setups, as they must be created to be safe on very wet tracks.  It wasn't that wet at Imola last night (there wasn't any standing water on the track) so the first thing I did was reduce the TC and ABS to about half their maximum values.  Then it's just a case of playing around with the settings when you're out on track.

heh, that first lap in Imola, watching about 75% of the field misjudge the braking into the last corners downhill in the wet was very funny. GT4 and no prep is a lot of fun but I'm kinda looking forward to getting back in a car I know and actually learning the track before the race next week now.

12 hours ago, milko said:

@SweatyTravolta so sorry about tagging you twice in the first race. The first time I was losing control evading some other crashing, the second time was just me misjudging how long it would take a heavy GT4 to stop, really crappy of me. I hope you enjoyed the duel after that, I had a good time trying to catch you. At least I stayed away from you in race 2, nice podium!

I loved the race! I don't think you hit me in the first incident? It felt like I cocked that up all on my own, doing exactly the same as you and trying to avoid some other carnage that was having a ripple effect down the pack as others crashed trying to avoid the initial mess. I know at one point I put my foot down too hard which led to my spin. After that it was super fun racing between us and @extremepabs. I kept checking my timings and saw the gap to them was 2.7, then back to you it was also 2.7. Then it was 2.3 and 2.3! It seemed like we were going to have a pretty intense final few laps as we all converged on each other until that second crash happened. I don't blame you entirely for that either as I was still using the GT3 braking points, forgetting these cars were a little slower. I think after that both our cars were a little damaged and we had no chance of catching Pabs.

It's a nice welcome back present that you guys let me lead the second race for the first ten minutes. I just cannot take that final square hairpin, Rivazza(?) at Imola. Lost me time on every lap.  @Meers sailed past and @SneakyNinja kept letting me claw it back a little but then put another second between us over the original gap. I tried going for a hail Mary lap at the end but almost binned it entirely and went quite far off track.

The GT4 cars are amazing to race. Maybe we should have a season in them? I'm also a fan of the full formation lap. 

I'll probably be back on Thursday nights from now on but I'll just be doing the races as I don't want to push my luck that much until I'm confident I'm fully recovered. I might have to stick to the sprints as it allows me to get up and move between the races. My face was beaming during the formation lap of the first race. Sitting there in VR, watching everyone wind around the track. What a game.

Oh did I not? Cool if so, I was fishtailing around a lot at that point and then saw you come spinning by and thought it must have been my doing. Strange how much that one rippled down the pack though. And yes, we were just reeling in pabs and then I stuffed us both up, bah.

6 hours ago, SharkyOB said:

Looking really good mate; you have shadows and everything!  I know it's postponed at the moment, but I hope you can do an upgrade at some point so you can use mirrors.  I honestly don't know how you manage to race without them!!

Yep, contact shadows on low settings and they suffer heavily from dithering. But they're shadows nonetheless! :D

:hat:

But ignore the graphics, it's performance first (and the upgrade will come after our wedding). I use proximity arrows, Crew Chief, radar and three buttons to look left/right/back to check my surroundings to make up for the lack of mirrors.

5 hours ago, SneakyNinja said:

Thanks for posting that video, it's really interesting to watch my driving from your perspective. Especially as we're in the same cars. It's pretty obvious that I'm not using all of the track, and have a bit too much understeer, but hell, that was FUN.

Well done on the double victories mate, well deserved.

:hat:

You also consistently moved to the right just before the last left corner at the end of the esses. So after a while I decided to go for the gap.

Yeah the TC on Imola was something I tuned down after a coule of laps when I realised there was no standing water on track.

As for not using the entire width of the track, it used to be a challenge for me as well. I think I'm doing pretty okay these days.

4 hours ago, SweatyTravolta said:

I loved the race! I don't think you hit me in the first incident? It felt like I cocked that up all on my own, doing exactly the same as you and trying to avoid some other carnage that was having a ripple effect down the pack as others crashed trying to avoid the initial mess. I know at one point I put my foot down too hard which led to my spin. After that it was super fun racing between us and @extremepabs. I kept checking my timings and saw the gap to them was 2.7, then back to you it was also 2.7. Then it was 2.3 and 2.3! It seemed like we were going to have a pretty intense final few laps as we all converged on each other until that second crash happened. I don't blame you entirely for that either as I was still using the GT3 braking points, forgetting these cars were a little slower. I think after that both our cars were a little damaged and we had no chance of catching Pabs.

It's a nice welcome back present that you guys let me lead the second race for the first ten minutes. I just cannot take that final square hairpin, Rivazza(?) at Imola. Lost me time on every lap.  @Meers sailed past and @SneakyNinja kept letting me claw it back a little but then put another second between us over the original gap. I tried going for a hail Mary lap at the end but almost binned it entirely and went quite far off track.

The GT4 cars are amazing to race. Maybe we should have a season in them? I'm also a fan of the full formation lap. 

I'll probably be back on Thursday nights from now on but I'll just be doing the races as I don't want to push my luck that much until I'm confident I'm fully recovered. I might have to stick to the sprints as it allows me to get up and move between the races. My face was beaming during the formation lap of the first race. Sitting there in VR, watching everyone wind around the track. What a game.

@SweatyTravolta I was sure you two were gonna catch up with me and started to make mistakes as a result. Loved it though great fun!

We are lucky to have a really good friendly group of racers. Fantastic stuff.

Second the GT4 cars for a season at some stage too great to drive.

5 hours ago, SweatyTravolta said:

@Meers sailed past

My face was beaming during the formation lap of the first race. Sitting there in VR, watching everyone wind around the track. What a game.

Sorry for sailing past. :(

The GT4's are amazing. I will echo your plea for a full championship! And the full formation lap is indeed awesome.

What a game indeed. Even when not in VR it is a sight to behold (as is evident in the video I posted).

By the way, that head bobbing/turning effect in that video is what I have during the races as well, with the Real Head Motion app (as mentioned before). Great for looking into tight corners for those without VR. Makes it even more immersive, and it's not distracting or disorienting at all. :)

48 minutes ago, Valver said:

Great video @Meers!  loved watching that.  Congrats on the win(s)!

Looked a great race all round, good and close.  Shame I missed it.  

Thanks, Valver. Glad you enjoyed it. It was a fantastic race indeed, wish you were there!

On 26/03/2021 at 09:27, SneakyNinja said:

It seems my new setup amplifies my braking inconsistencies. When I get it right, it feels like I'm Hamilton and can feeeel it. But when I get it wrong, the effects are worse too. Luckily there are a million and one options when it comes to brake pedal tinkering....

@SneakyNinja Long shot, but how much flex is there in your pedal plate and chair? When I upgraded to load cell brakes I was very puzzled as at first I was more inconsistent than on the old potentiometer brakes. I quickly figured out that the pedal plate was flexing a lot (as it takes a lot more strength to a achieve full braking on load cells) and I wedged a bit of wood between the plate and the stand frame and that worked a treat. 

What took me way longer to figure out is that the ikea chair I've used since day 1 was also flexing considerably, in fact I only addressed this last week by getting a couple of locking straps. That feeling of being unsure on the brakes is now almost fully gone, I feel more consistent, it's more enjoyable and also takes a lot less stregth to press down on the pedal. Highly recommended everyone to get rid of any pedal plate/chair flex! 

Maybe one of the reasons for @davejm finding his true pace? Didn't you upgrade from a chair with wheels to a super sturdy frame?

Edit: I also cable tied the chair to the frame so there's no movement! 

Screenshot_2021-03-27-11-03-07-497_com.whatsapp.jpg

Screenshot_2021-03-27-11-03-12-804_com.whatsapp.jpg

31 minutes ago, SANtoOos said:

Maybe one of the reasons for @davejm finding his true pace? Didn't you upgrade from a chair with wheels to a super sturdy frame?

Yeah I went from a standard office chair with locking casters (which flexed a lot) to the proper profile rig.  I think its helped me, but its hard to say how much is credited to my equipment vs getting to grips with sim racing in general.

3 hours ago, davejm said:

Yeah I went from a standard office chair with locking casters (which flexed a lot) to the proper profile rig.  I think its helped me, but its hard to say how much is credited to my equipment vs getting to grips with sim racing in general.

Yeah it's all personal and subjective isn't it, hard to know what makes a difference. I'm not a 100% sure load cell makes me more consistent all the time, it made me more inconsistent and tentative at first, but I reckon that's because of the flex issues mentioned above. I do think load cells are much better for trail braking, but I do miss the definite "end of travel" of a potentiometer brake, and temporarily downgrading to a g27 earlier this year was totally fine and actually exposed my issues with my current setup. Gonna practice a bit with my "almost no flex setup" and see how I feel :)

1 hour ago, SANtoOos said:

Yeah it's all personal and subjective isn't it, hard to know what makes a difference. I'm not a 100% sure load cell makes me more consistent all the time, it made me more inconsistent and tentative at first, but I reckon that's because of the flex issues mentioned above. I do think load cells are much better for trail braking, but I do miss the definite "end of travel" of a potentiometer brake, and temporarily downgrading to a g27 earlier this year was totally fine and actually exposed my issues with my current setup. Gonna practice a bit with my "almost no flex setup" and see how I feel :)

I actually didn't know until watching a video yesterday that load cell pedals don't always have a definite end point, because the T-LCM pedals I have do (i can reach it with the springs I use anyway).  The video made this sound like a negative, but I suppose it's all down to what you're used to.  I like the definite end point, as it's similar to my old pedals and I always know I'm getting 100% braking when I reach that point.  Not having an end point (or not needing to reach it) is probably more realistic to how a real brake pedal works though and I suppose however your pedals work, you'll get used to it and build up the muscle memory you need in the end.

Some dumb questions. How’s this on series X? Does anyone play there?

I’ve messed around a bit with standard AC on game pass and like how it kind of reminds me of Hard Drivin’ - does that make sense to anyone? I don’t know why, maybe the inertia or something. 

I’m just playing with a pad at the mo but considering a wheel. Are there any good offers on at the moment?

6 hours ago, SharkyOB said:

I actually didn't know until watching a video yesterday that load cell pedals don't always have a definite end point, because the T-LCM pedals I have do (i can reach it with the springs I use anyway).  The video made this sound like a negative, but I suppose it's all down to what you're used to.  I like the definite end point, as it's similar to my old pedals and I always know I'm getting 100% braking when I reach that point.  Not having an end point (or not needing to reach it) is probably more realistic to how a real brake pedal works though and I suppose however your pedals work, you'll get used to it and build up the muscle memory you need in the end.

Ahhh interesting, yeah my Fanatec pedals don't have a definite end point at least the way they are setup now. Yeah it's more realistic like that but in real life you have a lot more feel coming from the brakes, if you lock up you can feel the vibration through your feet, and you can feel the ABS working as well, so that would change everything. 

When we can meet again I'll pop by and try your wheel :D I'm open to change, love my wheel and like my pedals, specially after I sorted my flex issues. But with brexit it's a bit trickier/more expensive getting the Fanatec stuff. 

4 hours ago, Pockets said:

I’m just playing with a pad at the mo but considering a wheel. Are there any good offers on at the moment?

Not sure if there's any wheels on offer but if you're just starting, you can't go wrong with a Logitech G29 or a thrustmaster T300rs! 

Edit: a lot of hardcore sim racers say you should go as heavy on the load cell brake springs as your rig will take, because technically you have more gradation available for you, a feel of better "bit depth" if you will, so you'd never reach the end of travel like that, but I personally don't like the brakes that stiff. 

I am finding this track so hard, pretty much get lost in T1 every time as there’s just so much happening at once. It’s sort of good fun, anyway. Got a 1.26.4 offline so I thought I’d have a quick look at the server and it’s bloody pitch dark! Haha that did not help me figure out my lines at all :)

7 minutes ago, milko said:

I am finding this track so hard, pretty much get lost in T1 every time as there’s just so much happening at once. It’s sort of good fun, anyway. Got a 1.26.4 offline so I thought I’d have a quick look at the server and it’s bloody pitch dark! Haha that did not help me figure out my lines at all :)

That's a bug in the server code.  Just log off and back on again and the time of day will be correct.  It's supposed to be 2pm.