Jump to content

Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu


Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, davejm said:

 

1)  I brake before the rubbered line; then go a little deep and take a late apex.  I think there's a pole at the point where I hit the throttle.

2) I hit the brakes hard into third then trail brake slowly, then hit the brakes hard again and go down into 1st for the right hander.  So there are two phases of hard braking for me here

3) I go up into 4th and then coast around the corner, then when I've scrubbed enough speed to the point where I'm oversteering into the right hand side of the track I give it some more throttle.  Then when I come back around I'm hard on the brakes again and down into first.

 

First gear? Interesting. As I'm in the same car as you, I take those slow corners in 2nd gear. [twiddles moustache]

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Valver I do those 3 in much the same way as Dave I think (albeit still a good bit slower on the last two, going by sector times!) Agostini is not that big of a deal really but I think the rubbered in section is a lie and braking at least a little before that is needed. Stamping down hard and then (trying to) trail brake into the apex with that inner pole as the landmark for being able to accelerate out. The second two you mention are really where all the time is made up or lost on this track, and I'd maybe advise watching Zermatt's guide on them but it's also a lot about practice. You can take Brundle faster than you first think in 3rd, but you must get straight on the left of the track early to brake hard in a straight line again to take Nelson. Which I do in 1st in the Honda but I think it's at least almost a 2nd gear turn. For Coram I start the turn in 4th and try to pick a good place to coast around, you can kinda balance with throttle inputs so that you come out a little wide - ready to cut back in at the end with the poles so that once again you're in a straight line and braking hard to take Murrays in first. I drop to 3rd to do that cutting back in, but I think the key is that you can really straighten the last braking zone this way, meaning that you can go through Murrays with a lot more calm and consistency instead of fighting the car to stay on a line.

 

I mean, I think I'm ok to say all that. I'm hardly experienced or quick enough to really be passing on advice! 

 

Something I've realised (several times and forgotten and realised again) is I don't always turn the wheel far enough on tight corners. It's like I hit 90 degrees and just stop there. Then I do it properly and add more and suddenly I'm getting quarter of a second back on a hairpin. Between that and not always remembering that my new pedals mean quite a lot more force is needed to brake hard, I feel quite silly at times while driving in this game. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, milko said:

@Valver I do those 3 in much the same way as Dave I think (albeit still a good bit slower on the last two, going by sector times!) Agostini is not that big of a deal really but I think the rubbered in section is a lie and braking at least a little before that is needed. Stamping down hard and then (trying to) trail brake into the apex with that inner pole as the landmark for being able to accelerate out. The second two you mention are really where all the time is made up or lost on this track, and I'd maybe advise watching Zermatt's guide on them but it's also a lot about practice. You can take Brundle faster than you first think in 3rd, but you must get straight on the left of the track early to brake hard in a straight line again to take Nelson. Which I do in 1st in the Honda but I think it's at least almost a 2nd gear turn. For Coram I start the turn in 4th and try to pick a good place to coast around, you can kinda balance with throttle inputs so that you come out a little wide - ready to cut back in at the end with the poles so that once again you're in a straight line and braking hard to take Murrays in first. I drop to 3rd to do that cutting back in, but I think the key is that you can really straighten the last braking zone this way, meaning that you can go through Murrays with a lot more calm and consistency instead of fighting the car to stay on a line.

 

I mean, I think I'm ok to say all that. I'm hardly experienced or quick enough to really be passing on advice! 

 

Something I've realised (several times and forgotten and realised again) is I don't always turn the wheel far enough on tight corners. It's like I hit 180 degrees and just stop there. Then I do it properly and add more and suddenly I'm getting quarter of a second back on a hairpin. Between that and not always remembering that my new pedals mean quite a lot more force is needed to brake hard, I feel quite silly at times while driving in this game. 

 

I feel the same when I pass on advice; whilst I've put in a lot of time in this game I still feel like a sim-racing noob so it feels weird posting tips :D

 

Your second point about not turning the wheel enough, I do this too.  I also get sloppy with my trail braking after a long session, which is why I'm still very inconsistent in races.  I'm feeling fast these days, but I need to get more consistent.

 

It feels like your experiences with the game (and how you describe them) are a mirror of mine, just on a 6 month lag :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

haha, so I can dare to dream of faster times eventually, then! Well, I suppose I'm happy already actually, I'm much faster than when I started playing this. Could not for the life of me see how I'd be able to get this far even.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I also do this "not turning the steering wheel enough" in slow hairpins. Going back to a smaller diameter wheel (G27) when I was home last season seemed to cure it, so for me it's the bigger diameter of the Fanatec rim making me lazier to turn it. It does feel a little more awkward in those situations with bigger rims. 

 

2 hours ago, Valver said:

 

image.thumb.png.3fbfc84c20da0b8c2197332028d95e00.png

 

 

Oooh didn't know it was called the Senna Straight. Senna won a Formula Ford race in Snetterton after going over debris in the first lap, losing a few positions and also his front brakes. The mechanics didn't believe him until they touched the brakes after the race and they were cold. You can read Senna's letter to his dad explaining how he used downshifting to slow the car down, I'll see if I can find it in English, pretty interesting. The thought of going through Murrays and Nelson doing that hurts my head :facepalm:

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, SANtoOos said:

I also do this "not turning the steering wheel enough" in slow hairpins. Going back to a smaller diameter wheel (G27) when I was home last season seemed to cure it, so for me it's the bigger diameter of the Fanatec rim making me lazier to turn it. It does feel a little more awkward in those situations with bigger rims. 

 

I turn the steering ratio in the game's options down from 14 to 12 to tackle that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I'm falling out of love with this (again). The frustrations of not being able to improve as everyone else does is really overshadowing the fun of racing.

 

I did some practice over the weekend, and thought, oh 1:50, not bad. then my heart drops when I see the times you guys are setting.

 

It's a personal failing of mine, I know.. :(

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

I think I'm falling out of love with this (again). The frustrations of not being able to improve as everyone else does is really overshadowing the fun of racing.

 

I did some practice over the weekend, and thought, oh 1:50, not bad. then my heart drops when I see the times you guys are setting.

 

It's a personal failing of mine, I know.. :(

I know how you feel, I'm the same only slower :) past couple of practises,  I've been only 1 or 2 seconds slower than the guys at the front (which is amazing for me) but I can't do it consistently, so come qualifying, I'm slow again, then I usually screw up the race and end up driving round by myself. This week I'm way down the list, just cant get a feel for this circuit, that's when the rage kicks in and I end up spinning even more than usual. What keeps me coming back is the times when I put in a half decent time and it feels great, also, I don't even bother looking at Count Buffalos/Santooos/Daves times anymore, I just concentrate on beating the next person's time (usually mrben09), he's become my competition - if I beat his time in practise/race then its all good :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, SneakyNinja said:

I think I'm falling out of love with this (again). The frustrations of not being able to improve as everyone else does is really overshadowing the fun of racing.

 

I did some practice over the weekend, and thought, oh 1:50, not bad. then my heart drops when I see the times you guys are setting.

 

It's a personal failing of mine, I know.. :(

 

13 hours ago, willmill said:

I don't even bother looking at Count Buffalos/Santooos/Daves times anymore, I just concentrate on beating the next person's time

 

What Willmill said. I have stopped looking at our resident aliens and focus more on the people who I'm always clenching buttocks with. Which is pretty much everyone else hahaha! And I love that! Plus I know I'm not a TT type of guy. I'm a pretty consistent racer so I'm going to focus on that instead, and just having fun.

 

I have to give up a bit of practice time during the week, I'm afraid. I'm picking up the structural engineering study again, which will take ~2 evenings per week so I will have to make some concessions (with the exception of family time). I will still be racing though. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

At the moment I don’t even mind driving long stretches of the race by myself. Just trying to get in some kind of zone and it keeps me busy enough to not worry. Plus I’m not so afraid I’ll make a mistake that spoils someone else’s race! Fun to know what people get frustrated by, if I could drive as consistently as @SneakyNinja I feel like I’d be happy, but probably I’d have the same feelings really. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a bit sick myself, kid being back at school had the one downside of bringing back germs again! Just man flu, I think I'm ok enough to hop on in a bit, but will absolutely use it as an excuse for any mistakes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Count Buffalos said:

Don't think I'll be racing tonight chaps, I've not felt well all week and haven't practiced at all. 

Sorry to hear that. Hope you feel better - I’ll look after your points for you ;) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Count Buffalos said:

@davejm - is it easy to set the server up for spectators? Might be cool to watch the race :)

 

Yep, just add an extra 's' to the server password and you'll enter in Spectator mode.  Sorry to hear you're unwell mate!  Enjoy the race if you do indeed watch.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry guys. Sailed off at the first corner for reasons I don’t understand. Car was too damaged to continue so left in a cloud of swear words, some of which even I’d not heard before. 
 

Enjoyed our tussle though @milko  :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that went better than I had ever hoped for, quali I only managed a 1.54 and was at the back of the grid, but when the race started and I could follow everyone else round the corners, managed a 1.50.? Managed to stay out of the crashes for the most part and due to having a long first stint managed to end up in 4th. Pitted and almost immediately spun and ended up 6th just in front of Meers. Coming into the last corner, he looked like he had run off the track, then appeared behind me again, then I ran wide and ended up 7th (which I think is my highest finish in any race so far)

Link to post
Share on other sites

@SANtoOos apologies for my part in our incident.  It felt like more of a coming together more than anyone being at fault (I'd taken the inside line after you guys scraped and slowed down).  Just an unfortunate sequence of events I think.

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

Sorry guys. Sailed off at the first corner for reasons I don’t understand. Car was too damaged to continue so left in a cloud of swear words, some of which even I’d not heard before. 
 

Enjoyed our tussle though @milko  :) 

 

Thanks @SneakyNinja it was good fun. In that first battle we had I was telling myself you'd be patient behind me and expect mistakes, on account of it being me, so don't make a mistake! Stay on target! Enjoy accidentally being in second place for a bit! Anyway, purely because I've this manflu obviously, I did made a few mistakes. But at least they weren't too big, and you duly managed to get past nicely after a while. Then @SANtoOoswent by like a rocket, I kinda figured I wouldn't bother trying to defend that one. I've some work to do in that sector if we drive this track again ever. Then I caught you both up while you tussled! Then I made a proper mistake and lost about 10 seconds sorting it out, haha oh well. Stupid manflu. I was just looking forward to seeing if I could get back into it post-pit (actually giggled when I came in for my stop right behind your car while you were finishing yours) and then I saw you rejoining a lap later at a very strange angle, and yeah. Damn! You didn't miss the braking point or anything? I did a few times on T1 just because of the sunlight hiding the apex as it went down. 

 

@willmill I knew you still had to pit but I did enjoy our little battle too, wasn't exactly textbook most of the time we swapped places but good clean fun all the same :)

 

Aside from all that, seemed to be quite a few offs among the pack, and eventually I found myself quite isolated in third place. My first league podium, and I do feel like (as it was when I got 3rd in Snetterton GT4) it was just from being slightly less bad than a few people rather than actually passing them with overtaking manoeuvres. I can live with that.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry for late reply, when I first joined the server, my mic was working but it seems to have disconnected at some point in the race. So yeah I was chatting and wondering why I was getting no replies. Then after the race got a call from @SharkyOB checking if I was okay haha, thanks for the call and sorry for the radio silence. Yeah, tense race. In so far as the incident, I'm more disappointed at myself more than anything, I was too nice and left the door open for Sharky who took the position fairly, like I said to him, I was really enjoying the fight at the time and wasn't too bothered about defending too hard, obvs in retrospect I would have done it very differently. Watching the replay I did a Schumacher-esque hit on Sharky, promise I didn't expect us to touch, I was just trying to keep it tight, but being in the middle of a tight corner on a flat screen, I couldn't see Sharky, or the apex when he was on the inside and I was too busy trying to make the corner to decipher the radar. Also couldn't have seen @davejm , don't think he would have been in my mirror when I was in the middle of the corner, I was just trying to take my line and didn't know there were people around.  Hope VR helps with this, looking forward to upgrading at some point.

 

After the spin, really enjoyed watching @milko and @SneakyNinja fight. After a mistake from Milko I took the position and stayed behind Sneaky for a few laps, top defensive driving as always Sneaky, very hard to pass you. I was a bit unfocused then, pushing hard and trying to get time back on Sharky, making fuel calculations in my head and got distracted and missed the braking for  the hairpin at the beginning at the lap (because the marker was gone), which sent me into a half spin and then I hit @Valver getting back on track, really sorry about that man. At that point I was very frustrated with myself, but got the head down and found some pace. If I had passed Sneaky straight away and not had the spin I think I would have caught Sharky again. 

 

Yeah, long one, very tense even before the race, maybe it's just one of those days :lol:

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SANtoOos said:

 

 I was a bit unfocused then, pushing hard and trying to get time back on Sharky, making fuel calculations in my head and got distracted and missed the braking for  the hairpin at the beginning at the lap (because the marker was gone), which sent me into a half spin and then I hit @Valver getting back on track, really sorry about that man.

 

No worries, I could see you coming back on track and I just couldn't stop in time.  It was a relatively gentle "bonk", no damage done.  I was more annoyed with myself for then spinning up the rears on the grass and losing it as I tried to get going again.

 

I had a very eventful evening.  Got a decent start, but then seemed to end up getting mugged in each subsequent corner and fell back to 8th.  A few more poor corners and I was 10th out of 11.  Oh yeah, who took out the marker boards at the first hairpin?!!!  I was counting boards to my braking point and coz one was missing went sailing off into the field! :D

 

But I stuck at it 'tortoise and hare'-like,  I stayed on track,  and picked up some places.   

 

I had one hairy incident with @SneakyNinja as he was leaving the pits, and ended up with no road and span out on the grass.   Then I did lots of place swapping with @Meers which was fun.  I pitted first, and then you cruised into the box right ahead of me, but after I came out I didnt see you again.  Did you have a long pitstop repairing damage or something?

 

I crossed the line 4th, with @davejm rapidly gaining on me in the last few laps.  I was pleased to see the flag.

 

Video of the highlights will be along in a minute.  Snetterton seems to have lots of odd camera transitions - so this video looks a bit crap in places.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/03/2021 at 18:44, willmill said:

I know how you feel, I'm the same only slower :) past couple of practises,  I've been only 1 or 2 seconds slower than the guys at the front (which is amazing for me) but I can't do it consistently, so come qualifying, I'm slow again, then I usually screw up the race and end up driving round by myself. This week I'm way down the list, just cant get a feel for this circuit, that's when the rage kicks in and I end up spinning even more than usual. What keeps me coming back is the times when I put in a half decent time and it feels great, also, I don't even bother looking at Count Buffalos/Santooos/Daves times anymore, I just concentrate on beating the next person's time (usually mrben09), he's become my competition - if I beat his time in practise/race then its all good :) 

Funnily enough , I’ve been keeping an eye on your times as well.lol.

 

And onto tonight, it started so well..... Managed to keep @Meers behind me for a few laps and then defended a corner a little slowly, and was ably assisted around . Thanks for the place back. Soon after I was closing in on @Speech . Closing in so much I managed to follow him off track and catch a bit to much kerb. Spinning ensued and I collected a rapidly closing @davejm and fucked my car in a large way. Hobbled around for 3/4 of a lap, and got an early pit in.
8th, not too bad considering.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, davejm said:

@SANtoOos apologies for my part in our incident.  It felt like more of a coming together more than anyone being at fault (I'd taken the inside line after you guys scraped and slowed down).  Just an unfortunate sequence of events I think.

It's alright man, it's one of those, I just had no chance of knowing there were people around, my brain couldn't take it all in anyways, just happened too quick and no time to check around, so the only logical thing to do was to take my line.  If it was for real (and maybe VR) I could have seen the glint of your car on the side mirror and also heard you, that's what's so annoying about the lack of immersion on a flat screen.  Thanks for letting me have the position back :)

 

edit: should have said "the only logical thing to do was to take the racing line" as I was out of position

edit 2: yeah, racing incident, just mad at myself for messing the corner up

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Valver said:

I did lots of place swapping with @Meers which was fun.  I pitted first, and then you cruised into the box right ahead of me, but after I came out I didnt see you again.  Did you have a long pitstop repairing damage or something?

 

Nah, I accidentally left the change tyres option ticked. I wasn't fully focused anymore around half racing distance. I'll spare you the reasons and excuses.

 

15 minutes ago, mrben09 said:

Managed to keep @Meers behind me for a few laps and then defended a corner a little slowly, and was ably assisted around . Thanks for the place back.

 

I was gutted when I hit you. Seems like you were on fire tonight! I couldn't get past you and it looked like you were running wide so I went for the gap. Bad judgement from me. Sorry mate. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched a bit more of the full replay - and the @SneakyNinja pit exit incident I had, unfolded totally differently to how it felt in the heat of the moment.  It was all a result of  @Meers spinning at the exit of turn 1.  Makes for an interesting little clip.  Not sure how any of us could've avoided this TBH.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.