Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu

Just now, davejm said:

Cool, so we have Snetterton already in the league calendar (week after next) so shall we go for Zolder for the multi-class?

Perfect. There are just enough straights to give the GT3's chance to pass :) 

Awesome.

I reckon for next week's reverse grid sprint races we should just go GT4 for both races; that way we can practice with the cars again.  That cool?  @Meers and @mrben09 can you choose circuits for next week please (any that aren't in our current season schedule or Zolder) :)

12 hours ago, Count Buffalos said:

A really enjoyable race this evening at a surprisingly wet Oulton Park.

Sorry for punting you @extremepabs, I wasn't expecting you to slow to let me pass where you did, which was in the braking zone for the hairpin. I hope that your car wasn't damaged. 

I had two amazing battles with @SneakyNinja during the race. During the first stint we had an ace multi lap duel until I binned it on T1 through 'overambition'. I then had a quiet middle part of the race although had an interesting pitched battle with @Valver until I pitted. I somehow exited about a second behind Sneakyninja and we had a brilliant multi lap tussle again. I probably had the better pace at that point, especially with a drying track. After a few laps, I tried a tighter line through T1 and somehow got some good traction through T2 which put me slightly ahead just before the horribly bumpy Cascades braking zone. Sneakyninja feathered the throttle a little on his inside line which cemented my overtake. Very sporting, great stuff :)

@Count Buffalos No worries my fault i think as I panicked a bit when i saw you two approaching and was trying to work out where i could let you both pass but lost grip when i touched the grass. No damage really done to me but I think I made you lose a place. Apologies

I had an eventful race first few laps I was steady Eddy and got up to 9th but then lost server connection so reconnected and had a 2 and half minute penalty sitting in the pits. When I rejoined @willmill and I  seemed to be taking turns to pass each other then make a mistake for a good few laps. Great fun though and some of you guys pace in the wet was impressive. Roll on next week.

20 minutes ago, davejm said:

Just make sure you only have 20-or-so cars visible at any one time.  Multi-player large grid races don't tax the GPU as much, because the server handles the AI for those cars.  So you'll probably find that your PC copes better with large grid multiplayer races than if you did a single player race.

I have never really tested big grids thoroughly. I will give it a go over the weekend. I could lower the max visible cars to 8 which may help, but that will kill the immersion a bit. More than 12 cars already gives me significant performance drops.

So even when I set it to 8 in a, say, 30 car grid race...doesn't it still 'calculate' all the other 22 cars regardless? I mean, the data needs to be sent to my machine (CPU), right?

To be honest, last night with 12 cars in the rainy darkness dropped the framerate to 30 in places. For comparison, the game runs between 60 and 70 fps when I'm alone on the track. In dry circumstances it runs at ~60fps when I limit the amount of cars to 10.

So if it doesn't work out like the above, I have to make decisions.

19 minutes ago, davejm said:

Awesome.

I reckon for next week's reverse grid sprint races we should just go GT4 for both races; that way we can practice with the cars again.  That cool?  @Meers and @mrben09 can you choose circuits for next week please (any that aren't in our current season schedule or Zolder) :)

That's an easy one for me. Suzuka please.

3 minutes ago, Meers said:

I have never really tested big grids thoroughly. I will give it a go over the weekend. I could lower the max visible cars to 8 which may help, but that will kill the immersion a bit. More than 12 cars already gives me significant performance drops.

So even when I set it to 8 in a, say, 30 car grid race...doesn't it still 'calculate' all the other 22 cars regardless? I mean, the data needs to be sent to my machine (CPU), right?

To be honest, last night with 12 cars in the rainy darkness dropped the framerate to 30 in places. For comparison, the game runs between 60 and 70 fps when I'm alone on the track. In dry circumstances it runs at ~60fps when I limit the amount of cars to 10.

So if it doesn't work out like the above, I have to make decisions.

CPU load is a lot lower for multiplayer races because the server is doing more of the work, apparently.

2041615954_Screenshot2021-03-12105740.jpg.57742d0462320eca95895580a8d9bc94.jpg

Well. Not only do I learn more about what engine map I should've been in last night, I discover I might be able to have a faster one in dry races! Very Aggressive sounds fun :)

10 minutes ago, davejm said:

CPU load is a lot lower for multiplayer races because the server is doing more of the work, apparently.

That sounds positive. I'll make sure to test it over the weekend!

7 minutes ago, batistutauk said:

myself and @Mr Majestyk will join in - we havent raced recently as we dont have the British DLC

Yeah! Nice to have you guys back as well! :D

7 minutes ago, milko said:

Well. Not only do I learn more about what engine map I should've been in last night, I discover I might be able to have a faster one in dry races!

I still learn new facts about this game and racing in general every week. It's a bottomless well!

Hi guys just putting a spanner in the works which may be very unreasonable of me to even mention, but no harm in asking, just call me out if not cool! I just found out I have to work on the 25th of March and the 22nd of April, so that's me out of challenging for the championship pretty much. Was gonna ask if people, @davejm and others would be up for delaying just the first season break by a week? Totally cool if it creates logistical issues and not up for it, specially if you already made plans, and could be unfair for all as it was already decided and it's not your issue. Quite selfish of me to ask, but I do really love racing with you, if it's not a big deal for others, thought I'd mention. Totally no bothers to keep like this though, no worries! 

Edit: sorry Thursday 18th of March is when I'm working, corrected 

Edit 2: sorry Thursday 25th of March is when I'm working, corrected again

5 minutes ago, SANtoOos said:

Hi guys just putting a spanner in the works which may be very unreasonable of me to even mention, but no harm in asking, just call me out if not cool! I just found out I have to work on the 15th of March and the 22nd of April, so that's me out of challenging for the championship pretty much out. Was gonna ask if people, @davejm and others would be up for delaying just the first season break by a week? Totally cool if it creates logistical issues and not up for it, specially if you already made plans, and could be unfair for all as it was already decided and it's not your issue. Quite selfish of me to ask, but I do really love racing with you, if it's not a big deal for others, thought I'd mention. Totally no bothers to keep like this though, no worries! 

It's a fair question mate, and not selfish at all.  I'd be up for delaying the off season a week, and then having two off season weeks during that break so you can complete all the races?

So break 1 would move from 18th March to 25th March and break 2 would move from 8th April to 22nd April? 

It makes no difference at all to me really, no objections at all.

I misread @SANtoOos's post.  I thought he meant he'd miss two consecutive races in April, whereas he's missing next week and then the 8th April.  So we'd just need to delay the off season a week and we're all good! :)

@SANtoOos I think I may still have the wrong end of the stick! :D  Was the request to delay just the first mid-season break so that you could take part in that (knowing that you couldn't make all the league races)?  If so, I'm happy do to that if you'd rather take part in the reverse grid GT4 & multi-class endurance off season races.   Or if you want to complete the league season we can go with the above schedule.  Either way is good! :)

12 minutes ago, davejm said:

It's a fair question mate, and not selfish at all.  I'd be up for delaying the off season a week, and then having two off season weeks during that break so you can complete all the races?

Ahhh thanks all, really appreciate it :) made me quite happy, I was surprised how gutted I was when I heard about work haha. But yeah really enjoy the community vibes here, helped me through quarantine! Anyways don't worry too much about it, I'm fine with missing a race if you can't accommodate it. Work is starting to pick up towards the end of the year, which is good, but unfortunately means missing out here, so would be nice to have a full season (I'm not gonna ask you this every time btw :P

1 minute ago, davejm said:

@SANtoOos I think I may still have the wrong end of the stick! :D  Was the request to delay just the first mid-season break so that you could take part in that (knowing that you couldn't make all the league races)?  If so, I'm happy do to that if you'd rather take part in the reverse grid GT4 & multi-class endurance off season races.   Or if you want to complete the league season we can go with the above schedule.  Either way is good! :)

Hey man, I was hoping to shift the 1st season break so it happens when I'm working so I'm not missing too many championship races and points :) I was too ashamed to ask for both season breaks to be moved but if that's cool for all, this schedule would be amazing!!! 

13 minutes ago, davejm said:

How does this look?

image.png.a8f9b8126667ad39fee244062ef5c942.png

Just now, SANtoOos said:

Hey man, I was hoping to shift the 1st season break so it happens when I'm working so I'm not missing too many championship races and points :) I was too ashamed to ask for both season breaks to be moved but if that's cool for all, this schedule would be amazing!!! 

The first break was already scheduled for next week :D  So it is just the second one that we would have to move :)

5 minutes ago, davejm said:

The first break was already scheduled for next week :D  So it is just the second one that we would have to move :)

DOH! sorry, at work and trying to text, gosh sorry guys, I'm working on the 25th of March but I'm available next week, so 1st break on the 25th was what I meant.

So yeah I'm working 25/03 and 22/04, guaranteed :facepalm:

2 minutes ago, SANtoOos said:

DOH! sorry, at work and trying to text, gosh sorry guys, I'm working on the 25th of March but I'm available next week, so 1st break on the 25th was what I meant.

So yeah I'm working 25/03 and 22/04, guaranteed :facepalm:

Hehe no worries dude! :D  It's all good...

image.png.1a642b434ac1853e0ee7cc2f069ebe97.png

In an amazing co-incidence - that shifting the off week works in my favour too.  It's my daughters Birthday on the 25th and I'm doing a Zoom Escape Room thing with the family in the evening, so I was going to have to miss a points-scoring race.  Now I don't!  Result!!

Love this!  Made up it's worked out for everyone :wub:

Really enjoyed last night's race, if it wasn't obvious from the results!  The rain just seems to work for me for some reason, love pushing the cars in those conditions and I seem less error prone, which is pretty weird.