Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu

12 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Meer's bedtime would have been the only sticking point in terms of starting a little later I think, certainly not an issue for me :)

Well we could permanently start 30mins or so later from now on, not too much of a problem. 

The timings are fine in general I think, so I wouldn't want to start half an hour later every week... but absolutely fine with delays every now and again to suit specific folk if need be.

You're all sweethearts, I appreciate it lots. Bearing in mind my last 3? 4? races have seen me down to last within the first lap, I'm not altogether sure qualifying is a worthwhile thing for me anyway! My one podium (GT4 at Snetterton) was from last place as well.

19 minutes ago, SANtoOos said:

Looking forward to tonight. So we saying quali around 20:45?

Is practice starting later as well? 

A 15(ish) minute delay would mean qualifying would start around 20:30. 

Let's set that as a minimum (i.e. we won't start quali until 20:30 at the earliest) but hold fire until @milko is with us and ready.

Practice session will just start whenever I get around to configuring the server (likely sometime between 18:00-19:00) and will just run until I manually forward to quali.

Can people stop posting pictures of kit please. I'm bumbling around at the back of the grid on my 920 setup, and keep eyeing up fancy kit that wont make me any faster, when I have 3080 money burning a hole in my pocket dying to be spent. I DO NOT NEED ANYTHING. MY WHEEL AND PEDALS ARE FINE. THANK YOU :)

5 hours ago, milko said:

It's getting there! I still don't feel like I know the difference between doing a first sector like that and one that's 0.5s slower other than seeing the clock, I can't go "oh I missed that line or braking point by a few feet" or anything. It's almost all feel and instinct and just putting in laps until I get one right. @mrben09 was right about raising the bump stops a bit, I moved my front ones up by three and things feel a little less chaotic in the bumpy stuff which is mostly the first sector and last corner for me. 

Hey, tonight it looks like I might be 10-15 minutes late, which probably means missing qualification given I usually only get in by the skin of my teeth anyway. If it doesn't mess anyone up could we run the session a little bit later? If it screws up anyone else though obviously don't wait for me. And even if I make a start from the back of the grid it's better than nothing.

lol at Ben handing out tuning advice !

I've decided to back out of this one eaarly. I was having enough trouble staying on this track in the dry, don't want to risk ruining anyones race, plus have an early start tomorrow.

eesh blimey that was an intense start with all the rain and darkness! Being already paranoid about messing up in the first lap I was probably a little over-cautious in the first laps there, or my car's wet setup is just too wussy - I seemed to not have grip when braking hard but more than I expected elsewhere, and didn't have anywhere near enough speed to hold people off for long. More rain practice needed.

@SANtoOos I hope I didn't cause you a crash, you were behind me and then not and I didn't see what happened.

@SneakyNinja and @Count Buffalos nice job both passing me soon after that, it was cool.

@Valver nice move when you passed me! That was deep into my "why the heck is my car not going fast when I press the fast pedal?" period. I will have my revenge one of these days.

@davejm sorry again for our collision, Crew Chief said you were there, then it said clear so I moved towards the apex and spun a lot of times from our contact there! To the point I didn't know the way back to the track for a while. I'll take their advice with a pinch of salt next time. 

@Meers thanks for the gentlemanly race at the end there! We must have swapped place about four times through making mistakes before I finally seemed to end up with a much faster car at the very end and got a pass to stick, then pull away. Much appreciated buddy, it was a giggle as we tried to hang on to the wet lines on the drying track without messing up the racing line too badly. Your car did not seem to want to go around Cascades at all!

...so anyway, I did NOT crash from a good grid position to last in the first lap, which is a nice run to have ended. I still came 7th by sliding down the positions instead of climbing back up them. Perhaps I've found my level for now :)

Wow! So much happened there. Well done @SharkyOB. @davejmI think you should have restarted, I think the whole "hit drive" system is unfair, there must be a better way to design that.

The Lexus felt horrible to drive here, first track I really didn't like it, sometimes it's not perfect, but always satisfying. Here it was terrible, which is so disappointing as I absolutely love Oulton. After qualifying 4th, I was actually quite happy for the rain! The car at least felt more fun to drive. Then I spun after contact with @milko, re joined at the back of the field and then going through the field to finish 2nd, wow, that was by far the most exciting race I've done online. @Valvercan you see if the replay shows my double overtake on @extremepabsand @Count Buffalos at the hairpin after their contact? That was INTENSE. Had a whole heap of luck there, was absolutely sh*tting myself as I couldn't have stopped the car in time and almost created a huge pile up. 

Buzzing! 

@SANtoOos I've got an instinct that you probably spun because you didn't want to give me yet another first lap spinout after I was going slower than you anticipated, and if that's true then thanks very much it's too kind.

Sorry for hitting @davejm up the rear, I tried to avoid and it wouldn’t turn. Trying to be clever with drys was a disaster, lessons learned. But all that in it was my best wet race, so improvement. 

8 minutes ago, milko said:

@SANtoOos I hope I didn't cause you a crash, you were behind me and then not and I didn't see what happened.

@SneakyNinja

After watching the replay I think it was an unfortunate racing incident. I had my car positioned to out brake you, maybe I should have been more assertive/clear but I didn't want to do a lunge specially in those conditions. In the end you seemed to brake more than I expected so I was able to get beside you at the apex, but it seemed you weren't expecting me, it was a little bit of a risky move from me but don't think it was aggressive, watching it back. I spun and rejoined last (or was Dave last actually? Don't remember). Anyways, all good, the race was way more exciting like this as I don't think I would have matched Sharky's pace. 

Wow that was really fun guys, and such a cool challenge trying to race in the wet. :)

@milko, no worries on our contact, all part and parcel of close racing.  I think sometimes when the margins are so tight crew chief isn't always spot on with it, so these things happen.

@mrben09, just a love tap so no bother! :D

A really enjoyable race this evening at a surprisingly wet Oulton Park.

Sorry for punting you @extremepabs, I wasn't expecting you to slow to let me pass where you did, which was in the braking zone for the hairpin. I hope that your car wasn't damaged. 

I had two amazing battles with @SneakyNinja during the race. During the first stint we had an ace multi lap duel until I binned it on T1 through 'overambition'. I then had a quiet middle part of the race although had an interesting pitched battle with @Valver until I pitted. I somehow exited about a second behind Sneakyninja and we had a brilliant multi lap tussle again. I probably had the better pace at that point, especially with a drying track. After a few laps, I tried a tighter line through T1 and somehow got some good traction through T2 which put me slightly ahead just before the horribly bumpy Cascades braking zone. Sneakyninja feathered the throttle a little on his inside line which cemented my overtake. Very sporting, great stuff :)

12 minutes ago, davejm said:

I think sometimes when the margins are so tight crew chief isn't always spot on with it

When I went home I didn't install crew chief on my dad's computer and since then I've been using the in-game spotter, that for some reason seems to be working better for me. It just seems I can hear/notice him better. Maybe it's the tone of voice haha. Gonna try going back to crew chief to do a proper comparison. I love all the other stuff it does. 

Edit : I feel the in game spotter is more precise as well, but don't have any scientific proof

Next week

We have a mid-season break next week, then Snetterton Endurance the week after.  Obviously I usually decide the schedule, and a few of us have chosen races in the past for specific weeks; but for next week I'd like to nominate @SneakyNinja to choose the format :)  I liked your idea of a track day; but whether you fancy doing that next week (or choose another ad-hoc evening for that with coach @SharkyOB ;) ) or have a full on race as usual I'll let you decide if that's cool. 

So choose any track(s) you like, format (endurance, sprint, track day etc), class, time of day, weather combo.  Of course, if you don't fancy being the decision maker that's cool we can see who wants to take it on and then pick someone else.  I know you quite liked the GT4s so maybe that could be an option?

53 minutes ago, milko said:

@Valver nice move when you passed me! That was deep into my "why the heck is my car not going fast when I press the fast pedal?" period. I will have my revenge one of these days.

I took a different line out of the chicane to you and the overtake opportunity was on me before I'd even really thought about it.  Hope you didn't feel it was too dive-bomby.  I was so pleased with myself I've used that move as the thumbnail for the highlights video.  Sorry! #notsorry :lol:

34 minutes ago, Count Buffalos said:

... although had an interesting pitched battle with @Valver until I pitted. 

I was very surprised to find that not only was I behind you in the middle of the race, but for a few laps I gained on you until I was all over your bumper.   Then I missed an apex and dropped back, where I stayed for a while as I re-composed myself.  I rallied, and was gaining ground again when you peeled off to the pits.  Shame, I was really enjoying harassing you 8-)

53 minutes ago, SANtoOos said:

@Valvercan you see if the replay shows my double overtake on @extremepabsand @Count Buffalos at the hairpin after their contact? That was INTENSE. Had a whole heap of luck there, was absolutely sh*tting myself as I couldn't have stopped the car in time and almost created a huge pile up. 

Yep, its in there, starting at about 4:42.  It doesn't look too bad from the external cameras (well the shunt looks quite hard) but a bit like me nearly T-boning Meers last week - I know in car, when you're on the limit, it's a very different experience!

Anyhow - enjoy the vid.  I had another really enjoyable race this week, with a good points finish - thanks all!

Yep, enjoyed that. Shame I couldn't have been more consistent, way too many offs, most of which weren't due to the rain - just me pushing a little too much. 

Glad I didn't get in anyone's way. :)

1 minute ago, Thor said:

Yep, enjoyed that. Shame I couldn't have been more consistent, way too many offs, most of which weren't due to the rain - just me pushing a little too much. 

Glad I didn't get in anyone's way. :)

Great to see you mate.  Keep an eye on the thread and dip in when you can!

10 minutes ago, Valver said:

I took a different line out of the chicane to you and the overtake opportunity was on me before I'd even really thought about it.  Hope you didn't feel it was too dive-bomby.

Not at all, we went through the corner and it felt like you just zoomed in where my car was gently pootling, I couldn't believe how quickly you pulled alongside. Not at all dive-bombing, I just thought "ah, maybe a more defensive line needed there".