Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu

I've set weather variation to quite low for tonight.  We already did a wet race at Donington, so it'd be a bit rubbish if it was a wash out again for this one.  There will be some variation (probably in temp or cloud cover), and although there is always a chance of rain with the dynamic setting turned on (even when low) hopefully it should be favourable conditions.

On 03/03/2021 at 14:04, davejm said:

Yeah.  Although I wanted to speak to Matt first to see what the guys are like.   I don't actively participate in his Discord (I'm a lurker in a few, but don't really use them) so I don't have a sense of how friendly they are or what they'd be like as racers.  But as a one-off I don't suppose it doesn't matter too much.

They're a decent bunch and there's some really good drivers amongst them.  Defo wouldn't have any issue inviting them along for a race and hopefully we'd get some new recruits, especially if PowerQ turns up and streams it.

Found some rhythm around Donington just now, and put in a 1:28.4xx and that included losing a couple of tenths in the chicane after the downhill section.  So feeling a bit more confident about being competitive.

2 hours ago, SneakyNinja said:

I just can't hook it up. So I'll rely on my keen accident avoidance skills again to make up places at the start, then defend like a bastard for the remaining laps. 

I'm looking forward to it! 

Almost worked out like that, I just ran out of talent. :) 

Again, really sorry @Speech for the nudge. I stopped to give you back the place but then it looked like you had problems re-joining and we got swamped by cheeky @Meers and co.!

I obviously need to practice my overtaking :( 

Aaaand I ballsed it up massively in the 2nd race. Sorry to everyone, especially @Speech and @willmill for that massive slide of mine at the bottom of the hill. My tyres couldn't keep the heat in them when it became dark.

There were some brilliant battles in the midfield though! Amazing racing!

I'm also feeling under the weather a bit and I'm tired, which manifested itself at the end.

Time for bed and forget about that race. I'll update the sheet tomorrow evening because I'm away from my desk all day tomorrow.

@SneakyNinja, I gave you the place back! :P

My weekly apology, this time to @milko. He had good pace tonight and had the inside line next to me heading up the hill through Starkey's Bridge race 2 but I just didn't see him (or evidently listen to Crew Chief). I turned into the left hander as per the usual racing line at full tilt with predictable consequences. Those sorts of mistakes get me really annoyed with myself, I'm going to try really hard during the upcoming first laps! I had a decent battle with @SharkyOB afterwards for a couple of laps but then didn't quite have the pace to catch @davejm and a fuel saving @SANtoOos in the lead.

Good racing guys.  Was disappointed not to take the win at the end, with @SANtoOos fuel saving.  Had a few opportunities to pass but bottled it on numerous occasions over those last couple of laps; and was concious that @Count Buffalos was closing in behind.  I didn't have the composure to take it!!   That said, I think justice was done in the end as @SANtoOos was overly kind to give me my place back after my snap oversteer moment.  A worthy winner once again and a true gent!! :)

Here are the results:-

https://simsource.azurewebsites.net/results/h93b07e8e2b1?tab-=qualifying-1

https://simsource.azurewebsites.net/results/h93b07e8e2b1?tab-=race-1

https://simsource.azurewebsites.net/results/h93b07e8e2b1?tab-=qualifying-2

https://simsource.azurewebsites.net/results/h93b07e8e2b1?tab-=race-2

Hmm, from fourth (excellent for me!) in qualifying to last within the first sector of lap 1 in both races. Tsk! Don’t worry about it @Count Buffalos I would’ve done it to myself sooner rather than later and in fact thought I had until you guys informed me otherwise! I really also have to work on my lap 1 technique a lot, it’s been a theme for me for the past few weeks that I do this. 

In race 1 I kept messing up trying to overcompensate but managed to get to 8th somehow ( @Speech did you run out of fuel? Passed you seeming to stop at the end). Race 2 I was calmer about and slowly winched in the midfield group which looked like tremendous fun, I was driving through dust clouds as one or other of you got a wheel on the dirt nearly every corner... and then just as I got up to the back of it I screwed up, and then screwed up again, so I had a lonely time for a few laps with the gap opened right back up. Then just as I was giving up on anybody making a mistake and letting me back in, I hear this shout of “Meeeeeeeeeeeeeers!” and suddenly I’m right back in the mix and managed to pick up a few places just before the end. 

Good fun if mildly frustrating now I feel like I’ve got pace but not consistency, just gotta keep working on it. 

Thanks for the races guys, miss chatting to ye, but enjoyed listening to Discord afterwards :)

Had to work hard for those, like many of you, the setup didn't feel amazing, though it's probably one of the hardest tracks we've done so far.

2nd race - @davejm I think you and I were overly cautious at the start, I resigned to losing the position in the first corner as you had the better line, then I put the foot down thinking you had gone for it only to almost run into you, twitching the car and creating the concertina @Count Buffalos chatted about. No one at fault, better to be chilled at the starts anyways! Hope no one got caught in that? Finished with 1L left in the tank which meant my last laps were heart in the mouth vibes.

Also Dave, when you had your oversteer snap, I took the opportunity to try and take the position, but as you wrestled the car I had to take evasive action probably completing the overtake off track. Without seeing the incident it was really hard to say what was the right thing to do so I gave the position back just in case, maybe the replay shines a light on it. Either way, interesting to see what the rule book says about that, wanna find similar situations in racing, just out of curiosity. I suppose the position would have been mine if I had the nose well in alongside before going offtrack but I don't remember.

I have some bluetooth headphones that might work, I'll try it during the week!

16 minutes ago, SANtoOos said:

Also Dave, when you had your oversteer snap, I took the opportunity to try and take the position, but as you wrestled the car I had to take evasive action probably completing the overtake off track. Without seeing the incident it was really hard to say what was the right thing to do so I gave the position back just in case, maybe the replay shines a light on it. Either way, interesting to see what the rule book says about that, wanna find similar situations in racing, just out of curiosity. I suppose the position would have been mine if I had the nose well in alongside before going offtrack but I don't remember.

From my point of view you had no choice but to go off track to avoid me, and it was fair to have completed the pass on the outside IMO.  I was wrestling with the car and had scrubbed so much speed, I was just glad I managed to catch the car before I spun out.  I remember feeling thankful that you you managed to keep control on the grass and that I didn't wreck your race!!

23 minutes ago, davejm said:

@Valver You were quick tonight... I enjoyed our battling :)

I actually felt competitive for once!  Amazing, as I'd had zero practice leading up to today.  Not only did I pull an overtake on you at one point, but in Race 2 I managed to hang on to  @SharkyOB's bumper!  Bloody love this game :wub:

Watching the replays, there was so much action tonight.  Loads of overtakes.  Good work everyone!  

Videos incoming in a bit...

Trying to wind down so I can get some sleep, but I'm buzzing too much. It's so awesome racing with you all! :wub:

I nearly went back into the game to start practicing for Oulton Park next week! :D Had to really drag myself away.  I'm determined to get more practice time in for next week's race.  We need to get closer to @SANtoOos chaps so he doesn't run away with it!!

OK, both races are uploaded to Youtube...

Sprint Race 1:

Sprint Race 2:

Wow, the start of  race 2 really had all the cars bunched up for the first part of the lap...  Being mid pack was properly exciting.  So much action in the mid field with a train of cars sticking with each other for lap after lap.

I took a couple of screenshot I decided not to use as video thumbnails - you might like them...

race1.jpg

race1 2nd option.jpg

Bonus video:

Race 2, I'd spun out through some clumsy throttle application, and had dropped down to 9th.  After giving myself a stern telling off and then a little pep talk, I was back in the groove and gaining on the cars ahead.  Through the Craner Curves I saw @willmill go wide on the 3rd gear right at the bottom - and I was so focussed on him, that I didn't see that @Meers was busy having his own accident ahead too.  In the video from this angle you can clearly see what's occurring - but in car in VR, my focus wasn't on Meers at all and I came round the corner and had a massive weave and brake to avoid him.  My heart rate went through the roof!  Great fun.

14 hours ago, SneakyNinja said:

Again, really sorry @Speech for the nudge. I stopped to give you back the place but then it looked like you had problems re-joining and we got swamped by cheeky @Meers and co.!

14 hours ago, Meers said:

Aaaand I ballsed it up massively in the 2nd race. Sorry to everyone, especially @Speech and @willmill for that massive slide of mine at the bottom of the hill. My tyres couldn't keep the heat in them when it became dark.

No problem. It's normally me apologising, so this makes a nice change :D

14 hours ago, milko said:

In race 1 I kept messing up trying to overcompensate but managed to get to 8th somehow ( @Speech did you run out of fuel? Passed you seeming to stop at the end).

Yes I did.  I noticed I was going to run out 2 laps from the end, and just managed to coast enough on those laps to limp across the line.  My last 2 laptimes were about 1:51.

And then in the 2nd race I got a puncture on the last lap, which is why I lost 2 or 3 places at the end of that race.  Still enjoyed myself though, especially as I had hardly anytime to practise because my wheel was out of action with a broken clamp until late Wednesday.

I looked at the schedule and we're down for a 90 minute season finale back at Doners, I sense it could be attritional! But also the promise of some of those overtaking duels going on for that long, blimey. 

In race 1 I ran out of fuel on the last lap which made me feel a bit silly as I could've just let SantoOos past to lap me at the very end of his race and called it a finish. Foolish pride! Came to a halt on the climb up the hill before the big straight.

1 hour ago, Valver said:

So what are the championship standings now then?  (I hope @Meers is feeling better today... and I haven't just come across all pushy on someone who's not well)

I am feeling a lot better today mate, thanks. I've been away from my workstation today so I haven't had the time to update the sheet yet. I'll try to find some time tonight.

I'm terribly sorry for the delay, lads. I've been incredibly busy yesterday and today so I've only gotten around to updating the leaderboard now. But it's here! And boy is it close again!

Except for @SANtoOos, who's already 20 points ahead of @davejm. I vote for strapping a hippo to his car next race. ;)

image.thumb.png.45b3eff514d4ac3dbc74f74a6ce9b96d.png