Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu

19 minutes ago, davejm said:

Morning all.  Server is set up for Silverstone practice.  I'll do the season 4 thread at some stage soon.

And I'm working on the leaderboard again.

I assume we get to pick new cars to run for Season 4?    I quite fancy a swap away from the bruiser Merc TBH.

Do we need to state what we're entering in the forum, or just is it a "run what ya brung" on Thursdays opener?

I'll get designing a new livery - I'm still including my "trademark" green chrome though!  Sorry @Meers

There aren't any hard restrictions on car choice (it's too much of a pain to maintain in the entry list); so just go with what you like for the opener.  Some flexibility to change in the first couple of races would be fine too.

Had a practice in the NSX GT3 Evo as I really liked the look of it.  OMG, what an unstable car.  I was spinning two or three times a lap.  I think in 8 test laps I didn't complete a single valid lap.  It doesn't suit my driving style, clearly.

I then swapped to the Ferrari EVO.  Much more stable.  I bashed out laps quite easily.  But my fastest time was a 2.05.7 - and in the Merc  previously I was doing 2.03's I think.

Hmmm...

Weird how it's so different for different people, I found it the least likely to spin when I was testing before, apart from one specific scenario that I'm hoping to learn to deal with. Silverstone practice commencing, another track that's essentially new to me. Well, they all are. 

The 'specific scenario' appears to be 'braking hard and downshifting and steering hard' all at the same time, mainly. Huh. It feels quite weird being back in GT3 again! 

Season 4 thread is here...

No online forum anymore, but if you need to search for the thread throughout the season just use the tag 'assetto corsa' and it'll return all the topics that are linked.

Nice one, Dave. Looks good and I can't wait to start! Spreadsheet's good to go as well.

I also think we should make an effort to motivate former participants to join in again.

This track is hard. That Maggots/Becketts/Chapel combo is so frustrating! There's got to be at least four corners where I'm expecting @Meers to ask if anybody's going flat out. And being so long it's taken me quite a few laps to feel like I've some idea what I'm doing. Slooooowly getting there, I think, with a 2.02.0xx time but a bit worried about holding it together for an entire race.

8 hours ago, milko said:

This track is hard. That Maggots/Becketts/Chapel combo is so frustrating! There's got to be at least four corners where I'm expecting @Meers to ask if anybody's going flat out. And being so long it's taken me quite a few laps to feel like I've some idea what I'm doing. Slooooowly getting there, I think, with a 2.02.0xx time but a bit worried about holding it together for an entire race.

Yeah it's tricky!  Although I think Maggots, Becketts & Chapel might be one of my favourite sections in racing; I love the feeling of hooking it up.  I'm not confident I know the best lines and inputs though there, but @SharkyOB helped me with some advice the last time we raced there which helped.  Looking forward to some practice time at lunch today.  You're already setting a competitive time by the looks of it...

image.png.f2e71964c9ebd316c9aa477cfe16f1fc.png

7 hours ago, milko said:

I'm expecting @Meers to ask if anybody's going flat out.

Wait, you're not going flat out through them? :blink:

Here's an attempt to try and tickle some of the former participants to join the fray again. Some forumites have shown interest but never joined whilst others have lost their ACC mojo somewhere during previous seasons. So I'd like to create some awareness, and I hope some (if not all!) of you are keen on joining us again. We miss you! :wub:

@Varnsen @Thor @jame @scoobysi @Dimahoo @Olivia Neutron Bomb @Mars @jonathanhoey @batistutauk @Mr Majestyk @SweatyTravolta

I have the feeling I have missed a few, for which I apologise in advance. So feel free to add to the list. :blush:

I still read the thread and watch the replays that are posted. I wish I could be racing with you but I am still physically unable to sit down and race for that long. I will definitely be back though, along with Sea of Thieves it was the highlight of my gaming year in 2020. Gutted that I'll be missing out on the UK tracks. 

41 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

I still read the thread and watch the replays that are posted. I wish I could be racing with you but I am still physically unable to sit down and race for that long. I will definitely be back though, along with Sea of Thieves it was the highlight of my gaming year in 2020. Gutted that I'll be missing out on the UK tracks. 

No sweat (pun intended), Travolta. That's very unfortunate, and I was hoping you were doing better again. Hopefully you will be soon!

35 minutes ago, Meers said:

Wait, you're not going flat out through them? :blink:

Here's an attempt to try and tickle some of the former participants to join the fray again. Some forumites have shown interest but never joined whilst others have lost their ACC mojo somewhere during previous seasons. So I'd like to create some awareness, and I hope some (if not all!) of you are keen on joining us again. We miss you! :wub:

@Varnsen @Thor @jame @scoobysi @Dimahoo @Olivia Neutron Bomb @Mars @jonathanhoey @batistutauk @Mr Majestyk @SweatyTravolta

I have the feeling I have missed a few, for which I apologise in advance. So feel free to add to the list. :blush:

Gotta second this; come back in folks, the water's lovely!  The new British GT tracks are incredible (Oulton Park :wub:) and we're visiting all of them this season.

Gutted for you @SweatyTravolta, hopefully it won't be too long until you can join us once more.

I'm considering switching to the Honda for the new season, tried it last night at Oulton and absolutely loved it.  The main issue though is that I'm committed to driving the GT-R in the other two leagues I drive in, so it's probably better to keep continuity.  Maybe one for the future?

Had a weird issue in last night's league race, where I randomly wasn't getting full throttle when I needed it.  After a bit of troubleshooting I don't think it's the pedals, as they seem ok when I connect them directly to the PC.  Gonna have to keep an eye on them but I really hope my new pedals aren't fucked, or that there's some kind of issue with my wheel base :(

51 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Had a weird issue in last night's league race, where I randomly wasn't getting full throttle when I needed it.  After a bit of troubleshooting I don't think it's the pedals, as they seem ok when I connect them directly to the PC.  Gonna have to keep an eye on them but I really hope my new pedals aren't fucked, or that there's some kind of issue with my wheel base :(

Could it be that there's a faulty sensor acting up somewhere? Potentiometer in the throttle pedal? Or a loose connector in the pedal base?

It's a set of the Thrustmaster T-LCM pedals, which use magnetic sensors rather than pots.  They're supposed to completely bypass the dodgy readings you sometimes get from potentiometers (and have a much longer life-span too), so I don't think it's that.  It could be a dodgy connection and I unplugged the pedals from my wheelbase when I tested them by connecting them directly to the PC last night.  They're now connected back up to the base, so I'll just have to keep an eye on them to see if the problem re-occurs.  Not exactly confidence inspiring when going into league races.

I might do a couple of public server races later if anyone's about?  If I'm still having issues I'll probably revert back to my G25 pedals for tomorrow's race.

@Meers cheers, I did expect to come back for the British GT pack but I just don’t seem to be in the mood for a regular practice/race schedule and I haven’t really touched ACC or any other Sim since I stopped racing here.

At the moment I’m just enjoying gaming on the PS5, WRC9 is great, Wreckfest is a blast and I may get back into GT Sport, all with a pad which I’m finding more relaxing.

Never say never though, I may get the DLC at some point as I love those tracks and join for some practice sessions at least.

Good luck to all for new season :D.

Thanks @Meers I'll probably join for some Silverstone action, but even after setting some lap times I wasn't feeling it. Funnily enough I've also been enjoying GT Sport with a pad and having not long picked up a PS5 and also getting back into some PS3 stuff of all things, I'm defintely in more of a casual gaming mood this weather. I shall probably pick up the british dlc in a sale at some point.

42 minutes ago, Mr Majestyk said:

Thanks @Meers I'll probably join for some Silverstone action, but even after setting some lap times I wasn't feeling it. Funnily enough I've also been enjoying GT Sport with a pad and having not long picked up a PS5 and also getting back into some PS3 stuff of all things, I'm defintely in more of a casual gaming mood this weather. I shall probably pick up the british dlc in a sale at some point.

I know the feeling, mate. My wheel began to gather dust when Forza / F1 didn't tickle my fancy anymore on the X360, coupled with the Xbox One not supporting the CSR wheel (when it was first out).

When the CSL Elite was announced, I started to get back into FFB wheel racing again (FM7, Xbox One), and then I found out that AC (Xbox version) was really what I was looking for all those years. Then I discovered that my laptop could run it too. And the rest is history. :D

There's a chance I might be working tomorrow eve :facepalm: Not a great start to the season. That's what you get for being a freelance musician and videographer, the 2 most unstable professions in the universe when it comes to hours (and finances too). 

If I race, I'm mic-less atm, left mine with father and haven't had a chance to sort anything else yet, but I'll log on to Discord and I'll be able to hear you all! 

We've just been discussing the start procedure whilst putting a little practice in at Silverstone. We liked the idea of a full parade lap, what does everyone think? It'd give the everyone the opportunity to warm the brakes up and perhaps allow extra time to settle into things too.