Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu

My favourites are the McLaren, KTM and Porsche.  I used the KTM when we did the GT4 racing before, but I prefer the McLaren this time around.  Going to give the Porsche another try before committing, but the McLaren is looking likely this week :)

I've had a quick play (all with default aggressive setups) around Outlon.

The Alpine is very drifty. Easy to be all Fast n Furious and great fun. Not the fastest though.

Audi..zzzz

Chevvy - front end heavy, but a fantastic sounding engine.

Merc - dunno, can't remember

Macca - fantastic cockpit in VR and I got the fastest lap times out of it

Porsche - stable and fun to drive, 2nd quickest.

Maserati - no TC. Nope.

BMW - weird seating position and lacklustre engine noise.

Aston - didn't try it as it was choice last time

Haven't tried the others yet..

It's mad how disorienting it is to sit on the correct side in the Vienetta or whatever the English-that-sounds-Italian car is, at least in VR. It might be fun to drive but I can't pick my lines through a corner at all. 

Who's racing this evening?   A reminder of the schedule:-

image.png.7ac04ad6bfb2b1a04a323c46a5759d57.png

Some practice timings:-

image.png.b72db411be4351bd6774a4c3a931bb94.png

I'm dreadfully slow in the wet :(  The time I posted was the result of a fair amount of practice in a session; yet I'm still a couple of seconds away from @SneakyNinja in the same car.  I finished right at the back in my AOR league race too, at a wet Imola.  In that race I had cars whizzing past me, which was frustrating.

Looking forward to the action tonight though.  Despite my speed (or lack of!) in the wet, I have enjoyed practicing at Donington and I'm mega excited for the Oulton Park race in particular.

I should be on tonight. I had next to no time to practice last week due to it being bastard cold and I've been skating all weekend (as we all do over here).

I even taught my 2-year old how to skate just like my father taught me (and he's still going strong at 70). :D

It's been thawing for the last day or 2, so back to sim racing it is!

@davejm, has the schedule for season IV been finalised yet?

2 hours ago, davejm said:

I'm dreadfully slow in the wet :(  The time I posted was the result of a fair amount of practice in a session; yet I'm still a couple of seconds away from @SneakyNinja in the same car.  I finished right at the back in my AOR league race too, at a wet Imola.  In that race I had cars whizzing past me, which was frustrating.

Wish I could offer some sage advice, but all I do in the wet is not drive the car so hard and try to 'waft' around the corners. I think maybe as there's less grip, my G29 actually gives better feedback as I think I can feel more, if that makes sense?

What I do is tell myself that with wet tyres, driving around a wet track is almost the same as driving on a dry track. Just don't get too brave.

I up the downforce, TCS and ABS and ride height a bit more than I use on a dry track (about 2 or 3 ticks) and you can get around in wet conditions pretty well.

Wet tyres are actually better on wet surfaces (even if that wet surface happens to be in a corner), so avoid the dry line and find an alternative racing line in the wet!

Do not fear the H2O!

2 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

Wish I could offer some sage advice, but all I do in the wet is not drive the car so hard and try to 'waft' around the corners. I think maybe as there's less grip, my G29 actually gives better feedback as I think I can feel more, if that makes sense?

Yeah, I feel the same.   The GT3s seem almost easier to drive in the wet, as they are more pliable and can slide through the corners a bit more without losing all their speed.  It's really key to still attack the track in the wet though, driving too passively/without confidence will probably cause the tyres to lose temp/pressure which will make the car harder to drive.

Really looking forward to trying the GT4s in the wet today!

I'd love to offer sage wet track advice with my amazing 2nd-place-so-far time (heh) but that was literally my first time driving in the wet in the sim. "Trying not to go too fast around the corners" is about the extent of the thought I put into it, even more so than I normally tell myself (and with similar results where I then immediately decide I can actually brake a bit later next time, and screw it up completely). I find a few corners at Donington really hard to judge, still, but it's slowly getting there. 

24 minutes ago, SANtoOos said:

I've finished my quarantine but the flat I'm staying in is so amazing I've decided to stay a bit longer :lol: treating it like a retreat. 

I'll be there next week for sure! 

Can't you get your gear over? :D

I loved that! Well, apart from the disconnect and my floaty (Wi-Fi) connection...of Bel Air. :facepalm:

Damn, SneakyNinja was fast tonight. :ph34r:

Gotta get up early, hence my swift departure from the track lobby.

I will take my race 1 “fuck up qualifying but drive from last to third” as compensation for the next two “qualify well then fuck up the first corners and end up right down the field” races. I feel like I suit GT4 almost as well as SneakyNinja! See if I can carry some of this into the season proper next. 

Great racing tonight guys!  I had some really good duels with @mrben09 @davejm and @Count Buffalos across the three circuits. 

I hadn't practiced at all this week and just jumped in the Audi because it was safe/idiot proof.    It drove well enough but was pretty dull TBH - wont pick it again.

Highlight videos are uploaded - but the HD and 2K versions will take a while to process...

Race 1:

Race 2:

Race 3:

@extremepabs - on lap 3 you show off a lovely drift - well held!

Bonus quick clip @Meers you overtook me as your Wi-Fi crapped out - so I got the moment you took off aka The Flying Dutchman:

8 hours ago, Valver said:

Bonus quick clip @Meers you overtook me as your Wi-Fi crapped out - so I got the moment you took off aka The Flying Dutchman:

Hahaha! Yeah that must have been the moment when my wired connection spazzed out and my Wi-Fi too over. The Wi-Fi is not very good in my loft unfortunately, it's a bit floaty.

And bloody hell, I wish my game looked like that. What a difference.

45 minutes ago, Meers said:

And bloody hell, I wish my game looked like that. What a difference.

My game looks good in the replays, but in VR it doesn't look anywhere near that! 

I was half listening to your upgrade parts list on Discord while I was driving - what bits are you missing now?  What's left until you can build a new PC?

26 minutes ago, Valver said:

I was half listening to your upgrade parts list on Discord while I was driving - what bits are you missing now?  What's left until you can build a new PC?

So far I've got a (cheap-ish) case, Dave's GTX1070, a motherboard and a Ryzen 5 3600X CPU.

Still on the list is a 500GB SSD for the OS and a 2TB SSD for game installs (I already have an external HDD with my media on it), RAM (looking for 16GB since that seems to be enough for gaming these days), a copy of Windows 10 and a 750W PSU. I hope I may have it all complete before Easter.

As mentioned before - the reason for not buying it all at once is because I don't want to risk taking it out of our savings right now (which is reserved for our wedding later this year, no idea yet what that's going to cost us). So it's either doing it like this, or wait until after the wedding. :sherlock:

It's still uncertain if we're getting married at all this year, depending on the pandemic. We're aiming for the end of September, but the vaccination process over here is so slow (only 600000 people vaccinated out of ~17 million) that I don't think we can do it 'normally' by then still.

My game looks like this right now, which isn't bad, but there's no visual effects going on at all. Everything is on the lowest setting or off, except for KTAA (epic), textures (epic), draw distance (epic), contact shadows (on), sharpening filter (on) and HLoD (on). Performance isn't really affected much if they're on epic or low, I found. Mirrors are off because that gives me ~15fps*. Number of visible cars is set to 12.

With that, on my i5 7300 with the GTX1050 mobile @1080p, I get ~65-70 frames per second. My TV is only 60Hz, so that mostly gives me 60fps constantly. But sometimes the CPU struggles to feed the GPU enough frames, which results (or resulted, since I've adjusted the frame buffering recently**) in the stutters and freezes you see in that video.

*I use proximity arrows, radar, buttons to look left/back/right and Crew Chief to check my blind angles, works pretty well.

**It's still not perfect, but better than before. They can still surprise me and put me off, causing me to make mistakes. I have no doubt it's holding me back during races.

Season 4 is upon us!! :)  We'll stick with the GT3s, but this time have a couple of mid-season breaks for some ad-hoc racing (which we can discuss and work out at the time); i.e. some track day events (I liked that idea that was proposed), some GT4s and other exhibitions.   We'll stick with the British GT DLC for this season; which features all the British tracks with the addition of Spa.

Here's how it looks:-

image.png.c6189b0f9a91f6f82cca154a82628a0f.png