Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu

maybe use the 'racing line' aid, @mrben09 just for this?

I'm not gonna have much idea where I'm going either, I'm maybe ok for Oulton Park but that's the race I'll be struggling to get online in time for so I'll no doubt be all flustered and bad. Just for fun, right! There's going to be some entertaining spins, I suspect, I've ploughed up a couple of fields in my initial recce drives.

Muchachos, I'm not going to make it tonight. Steam still won't accept my payment option and it's a mystery why not, because it used to work perfectly fine. I'm still trying as I type this, but I think it won't happen tonight unless I figure out what the problem is. 

1 minute ago, Meers said:

Muchachos, I'm not going to make it tonight. Steam still won't accept my payment option and it's a mystery why not, because it used to work perfectly fine. I'm still trying as I type this, but I think it won't happen tonight unless I figure out what the problem is. 

I had an error last night, because it was trying to use my steam wallet for the purchase instead of my normal Paypal account.  Do you have another payment method you can try?

9 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

I had an error last night, because it was trying to use my steam wallet for the purchase instead of my normal Paypal account.  Do you have another payment method you can try?

Yes, I just tried to do the payment through the Steam website instead of the Steam app. When I saw your post I was reminded that my bank wants to verify every transaction through their app. The Steam app does not initiate the verification, so I got no notification. Tried it in the browser and it worked immediately. Cheers for the suggestion! I'm on my way to the attic now and on in 20mins. :D

Just grabbed the GT4 pack on sale to complete my set. 

Thanks for the races tonight, including an all too brief moment where I found myself in the lead for the first time ever, which probably says it all about the chaos. Those new tracks are a challenge!

That was fun!  What a great bit of DLC.

Having to learn 3 new tracks in one night gave my old noggin quite a work out.  Throwing in a different car for shits and giggles too (I went BMW, cant really say why...) also added to the mental load.

Oulton was bumpy as hell!

Donny was like a billiard table in comparison.  I thought my force feedback had crapped out on me as I pulled out of the pitlane.  I did at least know the layout, so was able to get to learning braking points a bit quicker.  Really enjoyed that race.

And then I got 3rd place at Snetterton.  New favourite track! :hat:  (TBF, I just managed to stay on track *more* than those around me and picked up places as a result)

I have replays of the 2nd and 3rd races - do folks want me to post them up?

I was all set for a repeat of chasing you down for ages at Snets @Valver! Then I thought "hey, I'm going quite quick here" and immediately fucked up, again. Every time I think I'm getting the hang of that one I slightly brush the wrong kerb or something and it's all over. 

Absolutely brilliant evening :)  The new tracks are awesome!!  Donington Park is a bit of a surprise package.  I didn't expect to like it as much as the other tracks, but I love how fast and flowing it is, and I like that it's relatively short.  Oulton Park is just incredible fun.

Had some really great racing with @SneakyNinja at Oulton Park, just a shame I kept making mistakes and couldn't quite manage the overtake, before binning it anyway.  Similar story at Donington really.  I think I had the pace to have battled more with Ninja and @SharkyOB but without having the track layout sure in my head there was no real way I could concentrate on fighting whilst trying to remember the turns.

Roll on more of the same next week, but this time with the GT4s baby!! :)

Donington is phenomenal and probably my favourite UK track. I thought I had played it last in the MotoGP games on the OG Xbox, but then I was reminded of the DTM/TOCA Race Driver series which also had it. It has everything - elevation, a downhill snakey bit, mad hairpins, blind crests and corners and fast chicanes. Amazing! :wub:

Oulton was a very pleasant surprise too, what a bumpy and twisty layout! Far more than I remember from other titles (the modded version that I had in AC was way flatter). That dive towards the long left hander (turn 2 or 3?) briefly takes the pressure off the front wheels which means the steering becomes loose and if you haven't got the wheels straight again when the pressure gets back on, you're in for a hairy time! Those chicanes are right bastards, and the entire thing feels like a go-kart track, hardly suited for GT3. :ph34r:

I have yet to try Snetterton because it wouldn't load the track last night due to an error, so after some helpful tips from the boys I have managed to reinstall the pack. I think I'll try it tonight or over the weekend.

And I still seem to be able to quickly learn new tracks. Not bad at 44! :D :blah:

Another great evening's racing, thank you all.

Those GB tracks are awesome. I know Oulton Park and Donnington, but Snetterton was pretty new to me. (Previous TOCA memories have long since been pushed out of my aging brain).

Many years ago I drove a few laps of Oulton Park in a whizzy Mitsubushi Evo and this is the first time the elevation of the last corner has been replicated in a game. VR really helps with that too of course.

Again, some fantastic close racing with @davejm who I think was faster overall, but it's really hard to overtake on those narrow tracks. 

I loved the more casual nature too - much less stress (and lower heartrate I imagine). Maybe we can squeeze a few 'track day' vibe events in? Maybe even a few instruction sessions where we can learn from each other, like an interactive track guide between us all?

1 hour ago, extremepabs said:

Great fun. Yes @Valver post them up always fun and o watch the highlights.

OK, I've done the recordings of the last two sessions and they're uploading now.  Will post the YouTube links in a bit...  I personally loved the tandem drifting by @Count Buffalos and @SneakyNinjaat the start of the Snetterton race :hat:

I see they've introduced a few bugs in this British GT release.  One is a graphical glitch in the replays - the dust clouds created by cars going off track, seem to get stuck "on" and the animation for the dust just loops over and over during the replay.  It even survives a rewind past the point the cloud was created, so that you can "see the future" :D

edit: And Steam just applied a sizeable v1.7.1 hotfix.  But it doesn't fix that issue...

1 hour ago, Count Buffalos said:

apologies again for my embarrassing driving at the start at Snetterton

10 minutes ago, Valver said:

I personally loved the tandem drifting by @Count Buffalos and @SneakyNinjaat the start of the Snetterton race

yes don't apologise too much, in a friendly race at least! Watching that unfold while I got to gleefully zip through the resulting gap into the lead was such good fun! Naturally I managed only about half a lap more before overrunning one of the slow corners and letting Sharky through, but still. 

On which note actually, sorry again @extremepabs about the hairpin incident at Oulton, that was all my fault not looking carefully enough when I tried to rejoin after a field expedition, I let a few cars through and then should've checked a second time. I hope you didn't get too much damage from it.

EDIT: The new update mistakenly still says 1.7.0 in the UI but if in doubt, the version number can be verified via the latest entry in the changelog.txt in the ACC install folder (SteamLibrary/SteamApps/Common/Assetto Corsa Competizione/)

- Corrected server browser behaviour when searching for LAN servers.
- Tweaked dynamic skidmark appearance.
- Fixed glowing village houses at night at Oulton Park.
- Corrected British GT decals on custom liveries under British GT season.
- Improved real-time widget filtering.
- Aston V12 reduced setup oscillation on settling.
- Corrected total track medal count.
- Server: removed a spammy log line - see separate Dedicated Server update.

1 hour ago, Count Buffalos said:

Yeah, I like that idea @SneakyNinja. I really enjoyed the evening too, apologies again for my embarrassing driving at the start at Snetterton, I felt really bad about it. 

No worries. I was maybe a little too bold in going round the outside of turn 1 :) 

One of the best things about our group is that any incidents are pre-apologised for, as we all know they're not intentional. 

21 minutes ago, Valver said:

OK, I've done the recordings of the last two sessions and they're uploading now.  Will post the YouTube links in a bit...  I personally loved the tandem drifting by @Count Buffalos and @SneakyNinjaat the start of the Snetterton race :hat:

I see they've introduced a few bugs in this British GT release.  One is a graphical glitch in the replays - the dust clouds created by cars going off track, seem to get stuck "on" and the animation for the dust just loops over and over during the replay.  It even survives a rewind past the point the cloud was created, so that you can "see the future" :D

edit: And Steam just applied a sizeable v1.7.1 hotfix.  But it doesn't fix that issue...

One bug I hope they fix is that the multiplayer name tags cast a shadow. In @Count Buffalos's case, a massive great big one! Took me a few seconds to realise what all those blurry black lines across the track were.

36 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

One bug I hope they fix is that the multiplayer name tags cast a shadow. In @Count Buffalos's case, a massive great big one! Took me a few seconds to realise what all those blurry black lines across the track were.

Not a bug, but a massive QOL improvement - why havent they added a "favourite" button for multiplayer servers yet?!   For VR users it really would be a big help not to have to keep typing in the server name filter and searching...

7 hours ago, milko said:

yes don't apologise too much, in a friendly race at least! Watching that unfold while I got to gleefully zip through the resulting gap into the lead was such good fun! Naturally I managed only about half a lap more before overrunning one of the slow corners and letting Sharky through, but still. 

On which note actually, sorry again @extremepabs about the hairpin incident at Oulton, that was all my fault not looking carefully enough when I tried to rejoin after a field expedition, I let a few cars through and then should've checked a second time. I hope you didn't get too much damage from it.

no worries mate these things happen.

Can't wait for the GT4 action next week.  Although I said that last time, then didn't enjoy the racing (due to the stark difference to GT3).  Gonna just take it easy and try to be consistent rather than obsessing over pace.

I'll post up the in-game settings once I've had a play around.  We'll mix things up a bit this week, maybe a splash of rain and a sunset or sunrise race.

Can't wait!

Noticed they’ve announced a version for Series X/PS5 a few days ago - hope it’s a free upgrade. I fear I’ll be disappointed with 505 Games as the publisher and the upgrade situation with Control but the prospect of selling more DLC might make it a slightly different situation.

I bought the Xbox version a while back in the hope it would run better than my ageing PC, forgetting it would have been designed for the One, and it’s pretty damn rough.

I hope they use this as an excuse to put some work into providing some decent defaults for controllers too.

Afternoon guys! :)  As promised, here is the schedule for next week.  We'll visit Snetterton for an early morning race... head to Donington for a rainy afternoon session... then as the sun sets we'll finish off at Oulton Park.

Just had a practice with the McLaren GT4 at Oulton Park and it's soooo wonderful!  Absolutely buzzing for next week.  Once PowerQ has had his race (Monday this week) I'll set the server up with the Donington configuration so you can practice in the rain before the big day.

image.png.cd23836a06e7114254301998155aeec2.png

Ambient average temps will be fixed at 14°C.  If you want to dial in the conditions in single player practice, the dry races will be set at 0% cloud cover and Donington will be set at 62% cloud cover and 20% precipitation.  Enjoy!

Another hotfix today. Seems minor stuff that I can't imagine I'll notice.

What GT4 cars are we liking so far? Obviously I'm very new to them all but I've surprised myself by finding the Chevy might be my choice, or maybe the Porsche. I felt like the McLaren was a breeze to drive, seemed like a definite selection but then realised I was somehow a lot slower in it.