Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu

6 hours ago, SharkyOB said:

I only know Zandvoort and Assen, what others are there? 

Oh there's loads mate! Have you never heard of... Zandvoort and Assen? :unsure:

On the way back to the UK now but will self isolate alone in a different flat, which is a shame as I was quite excited to go head first into quarantine racing and sorting my setup :( Empty airports and flights and everyone is tested, so feels safer than going to the shop so far... See you guys in a couple of weeks. 

40 minutes ago, SANtoOos said:

On the way back to the UK now but will self isolate alone in a different flat, which is a shame as I was quite excited to go head first into quarantine racing and sorting my setup :( Empty airports and flights and everyone is tested, so feels safer than going to the shop so far... See you guys in a couple of weeks. 

I assume they don't allow anyone to drop things off to you while you isolate?  Shame you can't join us, but hopefully you can join us for season 4.

54 minutes ago, davejm said:

I assume they don't allow anyone to drop things off to you while you isolate?  Shame you can't join us, but hopefully you can join us for season 4.

If only there was someone in this league who lived in Liverpool and knew how to unplug all my gear and drop it over :eyebrows:;):lol:

Totally joking haha would be such a hassle all round and it's better I concentrate on working, studying and maybe a bit of meditation, wanna get into a nice routine and gaming would get in the way :)

Looking forward to joining you again soon though, should be there for start of season 4

On 06/02/2021 at 16:15, Valver said:

I just went looking for some GT3 onboard of Donnington - I have loved this track from the original TOCA days (1997, wow, memories!)

Found this amazing bit of driving.  :wub:

Played TOCA a lot back in the day as well! With a controller though.

Is it that Nissan or is Alex Buncombe so much better than those other drivers? He's owning them!

On 29/01/2021 at 18:23, davejm said:

While I've got Excel open... who wants a peek at the Season 4 schedule? :D

image.png.66679c8c8147b91589683f1a1001f7d5.png

(subject to change if the British GT pack drops)

I'll be implementing this into the spreadsheet. Can we introduce restarts in season IV? I think we need to set up some guidelines then if we do?

Yep, @Meers could you hold off doing the spreadsheet until we know what the schedule will look like; now the DLC is coming so soon I think it's reasonable that we include the new tracks.   I've been caught in two minds about keeping the schedule 'as is' (so that peeps don't have to fork out for more DLC) but if we don't race on the new tracks as they get released then we're just recycling the same old content all the time.  Any objections to this?

I don't want to ditch Silverstone though.  I like it, and it's been a while since we raced there.

On the subject of restarts; what do you mean @Meers?  There are a couple of times that I could have restarted due to people being bumped to the pits when on the grid (thinking of @SANtoOos here) but are you talking about restarting due to first corner incidents?  I'm not sure how that would work.  Who would make that call and actually issue the restart if we're all racing?  Plus, you're opening up the potential for grey area in interpretation (what constitutes enough of an incident to issue a restart).  Even with live stewarding it can get problematic.

30 minutes ago, davejm said:

Yep, @Meers could you hold off doing the spreadsheet until we know what the schedule will look like; now the DLC is coming so soon I think it's reasonable that we include the new tracks.   I've been caught in two minds about keeping the schedule 'as is' (so that peeps don't have to fork out for more DLC) but if we don't race on the new tracks as they get released then we're just recycling the same old content all the time.  Any objections to this?

I don't want to ditch Silverstone though.  I like it, and it's been a while since we raced there.

Maybe Barcelona for one of the new tracks then?  Oulton would always get my vote but don't mind which one really.  As that round is later in the championship it gives people more time to get the DLC too.

31 minutes ago, davejm said:

On the subject of restarts; what do you mean @Meers?  There are a couple of times that I could have restarted due to people being bumped to the pits when on the grid (thinking of @SANtoOos here) but are you talking about restarting due to first corner incidents?  I'm not sure how that would work.  Who would make that call and actually issue the restart if we're all racing?  Plus, you're opening up the potential for grey area in interpretation (what constitutes enough of an incident to issue a restart).  Even with live stewarding it can get problematic.

Totally and it might promote overly aggressive driving, as people know they have a potential get out of jail free card.  We could also end up with multiple restarts which is frustrating for all and difficult for you in terms of configuring the server.

Sounds like restarts would be hard to do fairly and timely, unless someone who wasn't driving was overseeing.

How about penalty points instead? I appreciate they don't help the people punted off, but they can be applied post race.

Post race penalty points has been discussed before, and whilst I mentioned (at the time) that I wasn't against the idea; it isn't something I personally want to be involved in organising.  So someone else (or a group of people, I'd suggest) would need to take that on, and there would need to be an overwhelming vote in favour of applying such a system, I think. 

Being part of the AOR league where they adopt such a system, I'm not sure it's a good idea for us.  So I'm less in favour of it now, than I would have been previously.  I can understand some of the benefits it would bring, but I've seen the effort that is involved and it could lead to bad feeling.

But if anyone wants to take it on, then I'm happy to see where it leads.  I'm happy just doing my little part of what we have here (organising the schedule, and setting up the server each week).  :)

I've been trying a few out, might hop in the Audi R8! Milko Racing, as an independent racing team, is quite likely to switch manufacturer this season so we're testing them all out now that we have learned a few basic skills in the recent season. We've gone from A to F so far and seem to get on well with the Audi and the new Ferrari. More trials needed.

It doesn't help that I have pretty much zero interest in GT3 cars, they all look equally hideous to me (OK, the Bentley is extra hideous). It's partly why I'm somewhat late to the party on this game. I'd go for the Porsche purely so my Gulf-colours made a bit of sense but I gather that might be a reckless choice. We'll see how we get on when the trial sessions reach that end of the alphabet.

I've tried a few.  I like the Aston, McLaren, Lexus and Nissan but edging towards the former.  I'm slow in all of them compared to the Ferrari, but I want to try something new so this is the perfect week to try. 

I don't think that we should be thinking about a penalty points system really. It's a small, friendly group as it is and it'll only cause acrimony. Likewise restarts for anything other than technical reasons, I just don't see how this could be implemented fairly. However, I think that some sort of practice start before a race could potentially be useful, just to get a feel for how the first few corners are in a group and side-by-side. On the other hand, if everyone just takes it easy, and then takes it even more easy, there shouldn't be too many accidents. Just stay in your lane for the first few corners and don't worry about overtaking.

Seems like I've opened a can of worms with my restart thing, hahaha! I should have elaborated, sorry. :blush:

I meant when people accidentally get kicked out, like what happened to Santos. That was unfortunate and a restart could have had him back on the grid. So just restarts for freak accidental stuff, nothing more, nothing less.  \m/:)

26 minutes ago, Meers said:

Seems like I've opened a can of worms with my restart thing, hahaha! I should have elaborated, sorry. :blush:

I meant when people accidentally get kicked out, like what happened to Santos. That was unfortunate and a restart could have had him back on the grid. So just restarts for freak accidental stuff, nothing more, nothing less.  \m/:)

Cool, yep in that case I just need to remember that it's possible to restart the session from the chat window if something like that happens.  I was annoyed with myself for not having that in mind at the time.  

First of all, people that drive the Lambo and the Merc, I dunno how you do it. In a very different style to me, I suspect. Respect! I did like that the Merc seemed to barely notice a kerb but it feels so massive and lumbering.

I'm finding that I'm dramatically quicker around Kyalami in the Honda NSX. Like, I hit a 1.42.xx before I'd even got the tyres properly warmed up or had time to get used to the car. If I find this thing comfortable on other tracks (I guess I need to test on the ones with the 2020 BOP/Tyre model?) then I have a new steed.

14 hours ago, Meers said:

Yeah what happened to me was really unlucky, but at the same time it was a gear related issue, I understand if people don't want to restart as it can be a downer. Although I missed the start to our Brands Hatch GT4 race when ACC disconnected from the server even though I could still hear you on Discord, I think that was even more frustrating, not sure what happened there. If we decide to restart for technical reasons we should test it off season first, just to make sure it doesn't scrap the qualifying order, wouldn't be worth it in that case. 

11 hours ago, milko said:

I'm finding that I'm dramatically quicker around Kyalami in the Honda NSX. Like, I hit a 1.42.xx before I'd even got the tyres properly warmed up or had time to get used to the car. If I find this thing comfortable on other tracks (I guess I need to test on the ones with the 2020 BOP/Tyre model?) then I have a new steed.

Hey @milko I seem to remember reading the NSX is OP at Kyalami (and maybe Suzuka?) but really slow everywhere else, so definitely try it in a few tracks first! This would have been before the 2020 BOP so maybe they balanced the car a bit better now. 

7 hours ago, SANtoOos said:

Hey @milko I seem to remember reading the NSX is OP at Kyalami (and maybe Suzuka?) but really slow everywhere else, so definitely try it in a few tracks first! This would have been before the 2020 BOP so maybe they balanced the car a bit better now. 

Was that before the recent BOP changes though?  There's a few people using the NSX in my tier of the AOL championship and they've been quick at all rounds so far.  Tracks were Suzuka, Hungaroring and Bathurst.

I've taken it for a whizz round Nurburgring and Misano today, I seem to be more or less on par with my previous bests there with room to improve so I think I'll be giving it a go. I quite liked the McLaren too in the end so I'll maybe mess with that some more too if I have time. 

Misano in particular was interesting to see where I felt better in the Honda instead of the Nissan, and where I felt worse. 

The McLaren is great in VR.  You get a really good perspective of the road, but the gear ratios feel strange and I'm slower than in other cars.  Otherwise I'd give it more of a chance.  I probably still will, at some stage.

I'm watching Aris's stream, yeah, Oulton looks very good indeed. A few little physics tweaks with the update too, always welcome :)

I like the idea of a full British GT3 / 4 season if enough of us buy the DLC too - Brands Hatch, Snetterton, Oulton Park, Donington Park, Silverstone and Spa.

6 hours ago, SharkyOB said:

Was that before the recent BOP changes though?  There's a few people using the NSX in my tier of the AOL championship and they've been quick at all rounds so far.  Tracks were Suzuka, Hungaroring and Bathurst.

Yeah would have been, hopefully they fixed it. 

I hope they adjusted the McLaren too, my experience of it in season 2 was disappointing, specially comparing it to the Lexus. The Mc feels stable at first, but is edgy when driven at the limit and has longer braking distances. Recently saw a video of an alien saying the same things and explaining it needs to be driven differently than other cars, but even he was struggling a little, again that was before new BOP. The Lexus lets me drive the way I want, much happier. 

I really fancy the Ferrari though, the new 488 felt incredible to drive when I tried it in my main setup last year, very alive and real.