Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu

14 minutes ago, Meers said:

But I almost fucked up with the fuel load. The first 2 stints were fine with 45 litres each (had it divided into 3 equal portions) and I had plenty left after both stints, but for some reason the 3rd stint used a lot more fuel than the first 2. I suspect it was a combination of a lower ambient temperature, my tyres getting less grippy and my driving a bit more aggressively to make up for my 30 second S&G for speeding in the pit lane (don't ask). Could those first two have any influence on fuel consuption in this sim, @SharkyOB?

Looks like it:

https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/engine-performance-is-now-dependent-on-air-density-temperature.32917/

Air density also affects aerodynamics in the game too.

I found this while searching for the answer to your question Meers:

Basically the physics in the game are so realistic they were replicating a real world issue with traction control that the devs weren't aware of.  Applying the real world solution fixed the issue :o

14 minutes ago, Meers said:

Congrats to @SharkyOB for the win! This time you had way more competition, didn't you?

Yep, definitely much tougher this season and the DQ last week really closed things up.  I was lucky I had such a good start to the season, take that away and I think it'd have been super close this time.

1 hour ago, davejm said:

I think @Meers is likely to be matching us both for pace next season, and some of the chasing pack are looking quicker too.

Indeed, @mrben09 was on pace and if he manages to eliminate his skidding when coming out of corners (easy on the throttle & add a bit more TC, mate). And if @willmill and I didn't have that collision, he'd have been on your six most definitely. @extremepabs is getting quicker as well. Not to mention @Valver, he's always swerving around me. I hope the others are joining in again for season 4 as well, should be awesome.

I'm definitely still being held back by my hardware, despite having managed to squeeze every drop of performance out of it recently which made things better, but far from perfect. I still have frame buffering issues every now and again (less than before, but they still catch me by surprise). When I see Valver's replays and see how smooth they are and visually different than my game, I can tell how limited my system is. Hopefully I can fix that soon.

19 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Looks like it:

https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/engine-performance-is-now-dependent-on-air-density-temperature.32917/

Air density also affects aerodynamics in the game too.

I found this while searching for the answer to your question Meers:

Basically the physics in the game are so realistic they were replicating a real world issue with traction control that the devs weren't aware of.  Applying the real world solution fixed the issue :o

What the hell, that is MENTAL! :omg:

Last night was fun for the first 2 minutes and the last 3 ! 

The shenanigans at the start left me in 5th on the back straight, which is uncharted territory, so much so that at the downhill left and right I managed to spin off on the inside. A feat I managed regularly in the Porsche, but had ironed out in the Nismo. Back to the back of the pack. Know your place son !

Anyway, I pitted straight away (meeting @willmill in there) and put a shit ton of fuel on, hoping to negate everyone else's normal pits. That worked somewhat, as by the next time I pitted I was 7th, and came out 7th. so far so good. Then I noticed i hadn't put enough in as I was doing it on the fly, because my pit strat had gone to shit after my early pit. 

But I thought i may have enough to get away with it, if I can keep a decent distance in front of @milko and hypermile a bit. It became very apparent with about 7 minutes to go this wasn't going to happen, so i floored it for 2 laps, and went in for a whole 8 litres.  Milko went past me just as I'm leaving the pits,  3.25 to go. 

Bollocks.

I didn't know what issues he had at the time, so all I could do was get behind him and wait for a chance, I got one on the last lap at the same place I stacked on the first. 

Retook 7th, and probably for the first time since we started all this 3 seasons ago, felt the same endorphins that you lads at the front get every week of actually racing and having some semblance of race management and tactics. Even if it was against a hampered car. Sorry if I rambled on in chat afterwards, I was buzzing a bit! 

Neck was killing afterwards, but strangely feels great today.

Well done @SharkyOB and if I may , I'd like to throw out an improved driver award for the season to @Meers closely followed by @SneakyNinja. Keep it up , and lets try and get some of the recent leavers back in for next time around !

meers.jpg

haha when I saw you popping out of the pits just as I was passing I thought I might have miracled my way to a 7th place, but you put enough pressure on that I just couldn't hold it on the track. And as it happened, even if I'd managed to, you'd have been able to get out and walk past me on the finish straight :D

34 minutes ago, mrben09 said:

Well done @SharkyOB and if I may , I'd like to throw out an improved driver award for the season to @Meers closely followed by @SneakyNinja. Keep it up , and lets try and get some of the recent leavers back in for next time around !

meers.jpg

Thank you for this award! I haven't prepared a speech (no pun intended) but I want to thank my manager, my wife and kids, Fanatec for providing me with blah blah...

4 hours ago, davejm said:

The silver lining from last night, is that I think I've managed to hold onto third spot in the championship?!  5 points ahead of @SneakyNinja going into the race, which is enough to hold on I reckon.  Thanks to @Count Buffalos for taking second place in the race.  Had Ninja taken second, it would have bumped me down a spot overall.

I'm pleased with that.  My extra pace at 2 or 3 of the circuits was enough; even though I think Ninja has more pace and consistency overall and would have deserved third if the battle with the Count paid off.  I think @Meers is likely to be matching us both for pace next season, and some of the chasing pack are looking quicker too.  @willmill was lightning quick last night.

You guys are so awesome :)

Well, that was something quite special.

Fantastic racing with @Count Buffalos - nicely done sir, always a pleasure. I actually felt bad for holding you up in the first stint as @SharkyOB pulled way. Hope I wasn't too erratic in defence.

Thanks again to our resident FIA Official, @davejm Really appreciate the effort in running all of this. It's by far and away *the* best online experience I've had, since, well, ever! I'm not at all bitter that you pipped me to 3rd in the championship. Nope, not at all. :) (To be fair, your improvement is so good that I wonder if you were sandbagging in previous championships :) )

Although my pace isn't quite enough, I'm quietly pleased with consistency (as shown in the little clock icon in the results site) To race for 90 mins and have an average lap time delta of 0.5s is really good for me. Maybe we can have points for that next time round... /massive smiley face.

And, as proof of how much it all means to me.. here's my heart rate trace for the first hour..

Heart.png.b195932a9b627ab869cc5ee96ddb746a.png

Yep, at the start it was 147bpm, then stayed around 125bpm for the whole race! I was knackered at the end!

Thanks again everyone, here's to next season.

12 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

And, as proof of how much it all means to me.. here's my heart rate trace for the first hour..

Heart.png.b195932a9b627ab869cc5ee96ddb746a.png

Yep, at the start it was 147bpm, then stayed around 125bpm for the whole race! I was knackered at the end!

Thanks again everyone, here's to next season.

Blimey! Are you saying that playing games is a workout?

I will show this to my wife!

Oh and mate... your mojo is well and truly back!

22 minutes ago, Meers said:

Blimey! Are you saying that playing games is a workout?

I will show this to my wife!

Oh and mate... your mojo is well and truly back!

Thanks man, I think my mojo was hampered by car choice. 911 to start with, then for some reason the McLaren didn't suit me.

You're no slouch yourself - it's great seeing how you've improved. Not just in raw pace but racecraft too. I think 'us lot' racing together is a great place to learn.

I asked my daughter who's doing Sports Psychology at Uni, and apparently no, playing games doesn't count as a work out. But.. I'm sweating! And the heartrate! :quote:

4 minutes ago, Count Buffalos said:

You didn't drive at all erratically @SneakyNinja. You're really consistent, which makes the racing exciting but fair. I worked really hard for that pass and it was really close for the rest of the race too, I really enjoyed it. Fair to say that I didn't have @SharkyOB's pace anyway :)

Phew, that's a relief to hear. It was like fighting an octopus in the cockpit at times. Glad it didn't look that bad from outside.

Your pass was brilliantly done too. It's fantastic being able to race with everyone knowing that there'll be no over the top lunges or bumper cars. I was pleased to see you coming out of the pits as I went past - not because I was just ahead, but because I knew there'd be some more racing!

29 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

Phew, that's a relief to hear. It was like fighting an octopus in the cockpit at times. Glad it didn't look that bad from outside.

Your pass was brilliantly done too. It's fantastic being able to race with everyone knowing that there'll be no over the top lunges or bumper cars. I was pleased to see you coming out of the pits as I went past - not because I was just ahead, but because I knew there'd be some more racing!

Yeah, I was saying to @SharkyOB last night that I feel much more in control of my car now and that means that I'm more confident in close racing situations. It's a different skill from driving around the circuit quickly, although last night wasn't without a couple of hairy moments! Hopefully the close but fair racing will continue for everyone next season. 

16 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

You're no slouch yourself - it's great seeing how you've improved. Not just in raw pace but racecraft too. I think 'us lot' racing together is a great place to learn.

I asked my daughter who's doing Sports Psychology at Uni, and apparently no, playing games doesn't count as a work out. But.. I'm sweating! And the heartrate! :quote:

Thanks mate! I've scrapped with you a few times and as others have said you really know how to defend your line whilst still maintaining race pace. Hungary was a good example of that. That was so fierce yet very clean and I know exactly what The Count meant with his statement above.

1 minute ago, Meers said:

Thanks mate! I've scrapped with you a few times and as others have said you really know how to defend your line whilst still maintaining race pace. Hungary was a good example of that. That was so fierce yet very clean and I know exactly what The Count meant with his statement above.

6 minutes ago, Count Buffalos said:

Yeah, I was saying to @SharkyOB last night that I feel much more in control of my car now and that means that I'm more confident in close racing situations. It's a different skill from driving around the circuit quickly although, last night wasn't without a couple of hairy moments! Hopefully the close but fair racing will continue for everyone next season. 

Thanks both - really appreciate that.

Next season I hope to test out your defending with my newfound pace and overtaking skills! 

5 minutes ago, davejm said:

@SneakyNinja That's a cool idea to monitor your heart rate.  I'm gonna put on my Garmin for the next session and see what mine looks like! 

Cool, it'd be interesting to see. Mine was constantly high for the whole race, but I bet if I can find a away to zoom in, I could tell when @Count Buffalos was in my mirrors!

According to Google Fit off my watch I don't get nearly as heart-racing as I feel like I should. My remote session with a PT in the morning damn near finished me off, by comparison I feel like I sweated almost as much in the race but my heart was barely bothered. Maybe I should be happy!

Since this is so much fun I've ordered an expensive gaming headset to improve my sound quality and chat ability, the Oculus Quest sound is pretty crappy and by the end of the race I'm desperate to take it off but then can't actually stay in the chat if I do that. So this game has so far persuaded me to buy various DLC, a steering wheel and pedals, a wheel stand and now a headset ffs. Could probably have bought a few track days instead if we weren't locked down!

4 hours ago, davejm said:

@SneakyNinja That's a cool idea to monitor your heart rate.  I'm gonna put on my Garmin for the next session and see what mine looks like! 

I'll do the same for comparison.!

3 hours ago, milko said:

Since this is so much fun I've ordered an expensive gaming headset to improve my sound quality and chat ability, the Oculus Quest sound is pretty crappy and by the end of the race I'm desperate to take it off but then can't actually stay in the chat if I do that. So this game has so far persuaded me to buy various DLC, a steering wheel and pedals, a wheel stand and now a headset ffs. Could probably have bought a few track days instead if we weren't locked down!

With sim racing you're never done. You're just in between upgrades. :eyebrows:

Just had a drive of Oulton Park, Donnington Park and Snetterton in Assetto Corsa.  The benefit of being new to sim racing is that these iconic tracks are all new to me.  We're in for a real treat on Wednesday aren't we?!  Wonderful.

38 minutes ago, davejm said:

Just had a drive of Oulton Park, Donnington Park and Snetterton in Assetto Corsa.  The benefit of being new to sim racing is that these iconic tracks are all new to me.  We're in for a real treat on Wednesday aren't we?!  Wonderful.

Of those 3, only Snetterton (what a funny name) is unknown to me. But now I want an Dutch track pack as well!

8 minutes ago, Meers said:

Of those 3, only Snetterton (what a funny name) is unknown to me. But now I want an Dutch track pack as well!

I only know Zandvoort and Assen, what others are there? 

1 hour ago, davejm said:

I just went looking for some GT3 onboard of Donnington - I have loved this track from the original TOCA days (1997, wow, memories!)

Found this amazing bit of driving.  :wub:

I'd like to invite you all, next Thursday; to an evening of GT3 racing at Oulton Park, Donington Park and Snetterton!

Take to the track for whichever races you like.  No points on the line!  

image.png.efd1edb3f5cf2b665b4d0c9cd22bba0a.png

I'm hoping everyone will buy the DLC so we can feature these tracks in upcoming leagues; but this will give the day-one guys a chance to try out the new tracks; or give peeps a break from ACC, before we commence season 4.

I realise we won't get a chance to practice these tracks before they drop; so this is a casual fun evening of races with nothing on the line.  Let's enjoy it, chat away on Discord; and check out the new DLC together!