Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu

I'm involved in one too, but only as a victim of someone else's stupidity. Doing a 3 point turn on the tightest part of the mountain while you're a lapped car and the leaders are coming through is not a good idea. 

12 minutes ago, davejm said:

You're getting quicker mate!!

I noticed the Steam “cumulative time in game” stats for some of you lads and I think I’ve a way to go yet! Please tell me you leave it booted up but idle a lot?

this track is pretty hard to string a consistent lap together, same as you were saying. I’ve got at least 0.6s quicker if I could add my best individual segments together from different attempts. Anyway, progress is fun, enjoying it while I can make these gains. 

2 minutes ago, milko said:

I noticed the Steam “cumulative time in game” stats for some of you lads and I think I’ve a way to go yet! Please tell me you leave it booted up but idle a lot?

this track is pretty hard to string a consistent lap together, same as you were saying. I’ve got at least 0.6s quicker if I could add my best individual segments together from different attempts. Anyway, progress is fun, enjoying it while I can make these gains. 

No menu idling here :D I'm shocked at how much time I've spent with the game.  Traditionally, I try new things but don't really stick at them; so I'm glad that sim racing is something that's held my interest.  There's no doubt ACC has been a big reason for that, as is being a part of our league and community. :wub:

Season 3 Round 8 - Kyalami

Morning all!  It's the final race of the season, with it all to play for!  @SharkyOB is looking favourite to retain his championship, but there are a host of competitors hot on his tail and all with a chance of taking the crown!

Race

• 1.5 hour race
  • 8:15pm start
  • 2 mandatory pit stops
  • 2pm in-game start time
  • x4 time multiplier
  • 18°C average ambient temp
  • Low weather variation

Qualification

• Qualification will be based on the times set in the practice sessions this week
  • You'll have a chance to set a time right up until 8:10pm on Thursday night
  • I'll stop the server at 8:10pm, re-configure it with the grid positions, and re-start it for the race
  • When everyone has rejoined the server I'll manually start the race session

Adjusted scoring for this race:

image.png.509dc844b6185b941ef3a3f2a83e8ece.png

Current Timings

image.png.5ab6e44e932ad714f2f22eb8c9b2b129.png

Current Leaderboard

image.png.e760a0a095b7cc3aa9cce3d6bcfa0b71.png

8 hours ago, milko said:

I don't have nearly as much hours as some other guys on here, but I can assure you none of my time on the game has been wasted being idle. :D

8 hours ago, davejm said:

I'm glad that sim racing is something that's held my interest.  There's no doubt ACC has been a big reason for that, as is being a part of our league and community. :wub:

Community is a big factor in my sim racing 'career'. Whether it was Forza or GT back in the noughties, or Mario Kart and World Driver back in the nineties, or even Indy 500 and Test Drive back in the eighties... racing against real people (online or offline) is what makes me tick racing games-wise. :wub:

I play some other stuff as well on the Xbox (Sea of Thieves, The Hunter - CotW and Elite Dangerous mainly), a bit more now as well since my study has been put on hold due to unforseen circumstances.

hey, with the two pitstops tonight, is an effective 'stop and go' valid if we happened to be fueled up and not feeling the need for tyres? I suspect this question will be academic because the chances of me doing 90 minutes around this track without doing some traumatic car damage seem slim, but you never know.

Guys as much as I hate to say this I don't think I should be racing tonight - love Kyalami and there's a very small mathematical chance of fighting for the championship but I just did my customary pre racing warm-up exercises (guitar scales, modes and arpeggios :lol:) and my head is throbbing and struggling to keep my eyes open. It's absolutely boiling in here as well and the last thing I want is to ruin someone's race if I make a mistake. Very sorry I was really excited about this. 

It's gonna be an amazing race, hope you all have a great time! 

Can't wait for the British DLC, Oulton Park is my favourite track ever. 

5 hours ago, milko said:

the chances of me doing 90 minutes around this track without doing some traumatic car damage seem slim, but you never know.

It turns out I do know. I got a lovely boost on the start, whisked past @Meersand got a reasonably useful inside line on the hairpin, not sure what position I'd reached by then but definitely in profit. Then I pressed the go pedal and the back spun out and I drove straight into the wall, coming out in dead last, and that kind of set my tone from then on. It wasn't til lap thirty bloody seven I realised my TC was set way lower than I ever have it, and I think I must somehow have messed up loading my setup, which might also explain why my tyre pressures and fuel were much lower than I'd expected. I sorted some of it out in pitstops but even managed to not really do that very well in my stressed mindset, so by the last few laps I had about 23 psi, my headlights switched off if I braked hard, I couldn't see very well even when they were on, and could barely keep the car on the track. And ran out of fuel coming into the final corner, so had an amusingly desperate roll to juuuuust past the chequered flag. Hahaha! I picture it like in the comedy movies when a smoking shuddering wreck slides into view and the wheels fall off.

@SharkyOB - congrats on the race and title

@davejm - thanks for organising this and the server, I'm really enjoying it.

Hope to figure out a few more pieces of the jigsaw to come back stronger next season! Let's see if we can recruit a few drivers and hang on to the ones we have already.

Well done for the win and championship @SharkyOB, you had excellent pace this evening. I had an amazing 90 minute battle with @SneakyNinja. The first stint was particularly intense with him defending position and the gap between us never much more that 1 second, brilliant stuff. Different strategies also made the final stint exciting, with my ragged tyres just about holding on to second place ahead  a charging sneakyninja with fresh rubber. 

Thanks to @davejm for the brilliant organisation and use of the server too, very much appreciated. Thursday evenings are a highlight of my week :)

Haha I am in way too many clips in those highlights. Particularly enjoyed my cameo in one of the count buffalos v sneakyninja duels where I suddenly appear facing the wall waiting for everyone to go past. 

Well done everyone, another fantastic season of races.  I absolutely love my Thursdays with you guys!

I'm disappointed with how this week has gone :(  After recent races where I'd closed the pace gap considerably; Kyalami was a real struggle.  During practice I'd get slower and slower the more laps I did, and it turned out like that in the race too.  My fastest lap was with over 60 litres of fuel in the car.  I couldn't work out how to take any of the corners; despite watching hotlap videos and tracks guides.  It just didn't work for me this week.  That said, I'm pleased how my season turned out and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.  A bad week, but a good season :) 

Well done to @SharkyOB for the win!!  Thanks to everyone for taking part, and fingers crossed we can keep things going into season 4.

Due to the British GT DLC dropping next Wednesday; let's have a couple of off season race weeks featuring those tracks... 3x 20 minute races at each track, with GT3 next week and GT4 the week after?   It would give people (that are buying the DLC) a chance to check out the new tracks, or let people have a break before season 4 if they wish.

The silver lining from last night, is that I think I've managed to hold onto third spot in the championship?!  5 points ahead of @SneakyNinja going into the race, which is enough to hold on I reckon.  Thanks to @Count Buffalos for taking second place in the race.  Had Ninja taken second, it would have bumped me down a spot overall.

I'm pleased with that.  My extra pace at 2 or 3 of the circuits was enough; even though I think Ninja has more pace and consistency overall and would have deserved third if the battle with the Count paid off.  I think @Meers is likely to be matching us both for pace next season, and some of the chasing pack are looking quicker too.  @willmill was lightning quick last night.

You guys are so awesome :)

12 hours ago, willmill said:

Apologies to @Meers - I royally f***ed up the start, thought I was going to run into the back of @davejm so moved to avoid him and didn't realise you where there. 

It's all good mate. It's unfortunate it happened, and it caught me completely by surprise and with @Valver and @mrben09 at my right and left I couldn't avoid you either so I was left to braking only, and then I hit you. It's all in the replay above. My 488's nose was damaged and stuff was hanging loose and scraping on the track surface by the sound of it. A lot of rattling. :ph34r:

It happens. Gutted that I took you out in the process, you seemed to be in a very good position there. The damage slowed me down a little aerodynamically though, but the handling was unaffected. I later found a good pace where I tried my best not to torture my tyres too much (doin' a Verstappen) and hitting apexes and exits perfectly in an attempt to catch up with @davejm which seemed to work as it looked like his car's setup didn't like the track too much.

I was going to try to keep the tyres and brakes alive until the end of the race, and in the end I succeeded. I had managed it in an offline practice session so that's how I knew it could be done. :D:P

But I almost fucked up with the fuel load. The first 2 stints were fine with 45 litres each (had it divided into 3 equal portions) and I had plenty left after both stints, but for some reason the 3rd stint used a lot more fuel than the first 2. I suspect it was a combination of a lower ambient temperature, my tyres getting less grippy and my driving a bit more aggressively to make up for my 30 second S&G for speeding in the pit lane (don't ask). Could those first two have any influence on fuel consuption in this sim, @SharkyOB?

15 minutes before the end my phone app told me that I was not going to make it on the current fuel load, so I had to switch engine maps to 6!!! I had to coast in the last 2 laps and finished with just 0.5l of fuel left.

What an unfortunate night for me. :(

But I did have fun! 

10 hours ago, davejm said:

Due to the British GT DLC dropping next Wednesday; let's have a couple of off season race weeks featuring those tracks... 3x 20 minute races at each track, with GT3 next week and GT4 the week after?   It would give people (that are buying the DLC) a chance to check out the new tracks, or let people have a break before season 4 if they wish.

Great idea! No stress for a while, gives me a breather preparing the spreadsheet for it. :D

Here's the end standings for season 3 (apologies for the delay, busy at work this morning):

image.png.b6f3d14dc499498c49147f6630916d26.png

image.png.173a44fd8f0e1ebd21c22cef64d2692b.png

Congrats to @SharkyOB for the win! This time you had way more competition, didn't you? Also congrats to @Count Buffalos for 2nd place and @davejm for third! Chuffed with @SneakyNinja's 4th and very pleased with my 5th spot!

Massive thanks to @davejm for hosting and organising. I hope to keep up with you a bit more when my new PC's done (it's getting there!)

Also a massive thanks and well done to everyone involved. You guys make this as amazing as it is! :wub: