Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu

11 minutes ago, davejm said:

I'd be up for changing the endurance to 1.5 hours.  Would that mean @SANtoOos can make it?  I'd suggest that if anyone is thinking of dropping out due to the length, we should adjust.  More people involved is obviously preferable.

On the subject of 'lift off oversteer'; I used to get it a lot in the Ferrari but since I've got more skilled in sim racing I've learnt to modulate out of the throttle in moments like that.  But sometimes you have to react quickly, so it's not always possible.

Of course, we should change to an hour (or 2x 30 min sprint?) if someone objects to 2 or 1.5 hours. Personally, I'd love to see if I can manage a 2h race but let's hear it from everyone what they prefer.

I do have a moment of weight shifting oversteer sometimes whilst braking into corners, which can be caught pretty well. Feels amazing too. I don't know, maybe it's my setup (courtesy of Sharky's tutorial) but I rarely get surprised by the car doing unpredictable shit.

Gutted for you @SharkyOB. I reckon I share some of the blame as my driving was getting increasingly erratic as I kept screwing up under pressure. Sorry about that.

I was having a good battle with @Meers until I adjusted my pit stop strategy to add a bit more fuel and somehow caused it to change the tyres as well as add fuel. Then of course the pressures were wrong so I came out way behind Meers but couldn't catch up again.

The last 20 mins or so were spent driving alone and getting really frustrated with my lack of ability and needing to brake 10m earlier than the top 5. By then end I was a sweaty mess and my VR lenses were starting to fog up.

@davejm I must admit, I'm really not looking forward to a race longer than 1hr. Given my mid pack pace, I expect most of it will be spent lapping on my own. 

I was wondering what happened there @Valver, I’d been thinking “hmm I might be losing a place here soon” and then suddenly you were sideways in my mirror. Thanks for not just taking me out! I actually had a similar moment with @Meers down there, got close enough to listen to his engine noise down the straight but now I’m extra thankful I pulled in before the corner rather than during it. 

1 hour ago, SneakyNinja said:

Gutted for you @SharkyOB. I reckon I share some of the blame as my driving was getting increasingly erratic as I kept screwing up under pressure. Sorry about that.

Not at all man, totally my fault.  I probably came off the throttle too quickly which caused the issue.  Ultimately it's up to me as the car behind to make sure we race safely.

2 hours ago, davejm said:

I'd be up for changing the endurance to 1.5 hours.  Would that mean @SANtoOos can make it?  I'd suggest that if anyone is thinking of dropping out due to the length, we should adjust.  More people involved is obviously preferable.

Yes that would help me thanks, but I can't confirm until the day, so don't change your plans for me, whatever's best to all! Don't mind if you guys decide to do a full 2 hours, deffo wanna try that at one point :)

@willmill not sure if you saw my comment, but if you have a thrustmaster wheel, it's quite possible this plastic pivot bit is broken causing you to miss shifts. I put a little bit of superglue on the crack and then loads on top of it after it glued and it held out fine. 

IMG_20210129_085216.jpg

Thanks @SANtoOos its a ts-xw racer which I believe is similar to the t300, I've read that this is a common occurrence with these wheels, so will take it apart this weekend and superglue in anything that looks broken.

Edit: Doesn't look like anything was broken, but I think the spring wasn't centred on the little plastic cross, so was pushing at the side of the spring rather than in the centre. Repositioned spring and seems to be registering each click. 

Edited by willmill

Just had my first recon of Kyalami. Yikes! There's a lot going on there eh. And very much more care needed about kerbs than we were just using in Misano.

For length of race I would tend to agree that 2 hours would mean a lot of solo driving time for a 12-man field, but I guess exhaustion might mix things up a bit. My only thing is I already have to work pretty hard to make it online by 8pm or so, so I can't likely move to an earlier start, otherwise I'll go with the flow.

Throwing this out there....

• 1.5 hour race
  • 8:15pm start
  • No qualifying session (grid position based on weekly practice timings)
  • 2 mandatory pit stops (which might mix things up a little)

... what do you think?  We'd be starting the race at the same time we normally start quali, so no-one would have to join any earlier... plus skipping quali means we're not actually spending much longer at the wheel than we normally would (though I realise the intensity of a race is different).  We'd only finish slightly later too.

36 minutes ago, davejm said:

• 1.5 hour race

... what do you think?  We'd be starting the race at the same time we normally start quali, so no-one would have to join any earlier... plus skipping quali means we're not actually spending much longer at the wheel than we normally would (though I realise the intensity of a race is different).  We'd only finish slightly later too.

I like this format! 

43 minutes ago, davejm said:

• 1.5 hour race

Yep, I'm fine with this too.  We still doing double points?

17 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Yep, I'm fine with this too.  We still doing double points?

It wasn't quite double... here was the plan...

image.png.e62e256d950d20d4651a65eac11dc11f.png

Although I'm not really sure this is a good idea because everyone would just save their pit stops until after the hour; and then cram two in at the end.

I'd say we should just increase the number of finishing points...

image.png.9973aa156b4afc21425ffc30ee1c4a06.png

• 1.5 hour race

Yep, this so much!

While I've got Excel open... who wants a peek at the Season 4 schedule? :D

image.png.66679c8c8147b91589683f1a1001f7d5.png

(subject to change if the British GT pack drops)

This schedule looks mega! Are you thinking of doing any off season races before the start of season 4? As it stands I'm gonna be quarantining in the UK away from home between the 7th and 17th, so unable to do any races then, would love not to miss the start! But don't plan around me as it's all subject to change. 

5 minutes ago, SANtoOos said:

This schedule looks mega! Are you thinking of doing any off season races before the start of season 4? As it stands I'm gonna be quarantining in the UK away from home between the 7th and 17th, so unable to do any races then, would love not to miss the start! But don't plan around me as it's all subject to change. 

Yeah, a couple of off season weeks I think.  Which means the timings might be good for you.  I want to do another GT4 race! 

While I've got Excel open... who wants a peek at the Season 4 schedule? :D

image.png.66679c8c8147b91589683f1a1001f7d5.png

(subject to change if the British GT pack drops)

Magnificent! Love those tracks...bar Silverstone. 

1 minute ago, davejm said:

Ooh I love Silverstone :wub:

It's flat as a pancake where I live. I love me some elevation! :P

Shall we introduce a 1 or 2 week break before we kick off season 4?

3 minutes ago, Meers said:

It's flat as a pancake where I live. I love me some elevation! :P

Shall we introduce a 1 or 2 week break before we kick off season 4?

Yeah see a few posts above :D

EDIT: or do you mean an actual break from the racing altogether?  I might be up for having an actual week off, and then maybe a GT4 race.

12 minutes ago, davejm said:

Yeah see a few posts above :D

EDIT: or do you mean an actual break from the racing altogether?  I might be up for having an actual week off, and then maybe a GT4 race.

Ah I somehow missed that post.

Yeah as some of our fellow race drivers may have been busy and/or have a bit of ACC fatigue. So I thought maybe a couple of weeks break and some loose racing such as the GT4 one indeed.

In short - yes I agree! :D

FYI, PowerQ (ACC Youtuber) is using the server for his league which runs Sunday evenings; so moving forward it won't be configured for our weekly practice until Monday morning.  I don't think many people go on until the week anyway; but thought I'd best let you know in case anyone was wondering why it wasn't available. 

4 hours ago, davejm said:

FYI, PowerQ (ACC Youtuber) is using the server for his league which runs Sunday evenings; so moving forward it won't be configured for our weekly practice until Monday morning.  I don't think many people go on until the week anyway; but thought I'd best let you know in case anyone was wondering why it wasn't available. 

When does his league start?  Not sure I'm going to carry on with the historic league and Sunday is a good race night for me.

1 hour ago, SharkyOB said:

When does his league start?  Not sure I'm going to carry on with the historic league and Sunday is a good race night for me.

It's starting tomorrow.  I can't race Sundays so I won't be taking part, but I think he has one slot left from 20 (it was full but someone dropped out).

The races start at 6pm our time.

If you wanted in, just join his Discord and you'll see the info.  Not sure if anyone has contacted him separately about the final place but no-one has responded in the channel yet.

22 hours ago, davejm said:

Thanks for letting us know, I won't able to use the computer Tuesday - Wednesday so I'll try and set a time tomorrow!

I've set a time in Hotlap mode instead. No idea how it'll compare to the conditions of our online session but I'll just put this here for my own reference.

image.png.f791d0eb0df92d9572790e07c4381400.png

I've also done a bit of tinkering with my pedals. I've removed the clutch pedal (hardly use it anymore) and repositioned the throttle and brake pedals to a more symetrical location on the base. Hopefully this will put less strain on my left knee during long sessions. I've also moved the brake pedal up one hole, which creates a slightly longer 'arm' which in turn reduces the force (heft?) that I have to put on it.

20210131_140120.thumb.jpg.7ef6a98bea1b49a9b80c7fa7e3ad6653.jpg

1 hour ago, SANtoOos said:

Thanks for letting us know, I won't able to use the computer Tuesday - Wednesday so I'll try and set a time tomorrow!

It should be online tonight if that's any good for anyone, the PowerQ race starts just after 6pm our time.