Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu

Oh, it's an evening race? I take it there's still daytime light when we start? :ph34r:

I'll be off straight after the race, guys. Gotta get up earlier than usual on Friday morning. :(

4 minutes ago, Meers said:

Oh, it's an evening race? I take it there's still daytime light when we start? :ph34r:

I'll be off straight after the race, guys. Gotta get up earlier than usual on Friday morning. :(

Yeah, it should just get dark towards the end of the race.

FFS, came round the fast right hander towards the end of the lap a bit too quick and had to lift off to avoid @SneakyNinja.  It's one of those situations where if I'd been by myself I might have got away with it, but it was either lift off or hit him and I'd always rather cause myself an issue.  Problem was I ended up half spinning to the right and finished on the grass on the inside of the hairpin, so I drove across it thinking that was the safest thing to do (spinning the car round and driving back onto the track the other way seemed like a recipe for disaster), waited for SN to pass so I didn't gain time then drove back onto the track; immediate DQ for driving the wrong way.  Lesson learned, totally my fault.

unlucky, @SharkyOB - that corner is really fun to slide around when it doesn't mess up everything catastophically.

as I left the pit for qualifying, pressing my push-to-talk button appeared to disable my accelerator pedal somehow so a: sorry to the people who were behind me and possibly confused at me coasting out of the pitlane and b: sorry for being quiet, as I left it well alone after that!

Anyway, that's the first race I've managed to finish on the same lap as the leader, so I'll take that. Wasn't very much action for me beyond a few brief duels but I had a good time. @Meers very near the start I was following you into the corners and then you suddenly warped to the opposite side of the track, from my view at least. I don't think I was involved, but let me know if I'm wrong! Anyway it was fun trying to hold you off for a bit later on despite not really having the pace to do it for long.

@SharkyOB Oh man, I watched the replay and I'm sure most of us would have done the same thing.  I wouldn't have anticipated a DQ (in the heat of the moment) doing what you did.  What a shame :(  Was looking forward to battling you now that I seem to have found some pace.

Was an uneventful race for me.  @SANtoOos was a little quicker so eeked out a bit of a lead, and I was a second a lap quicker (on average, according to the logs) than @Count Buffalos so I managed to pull away from the rest.  Really chuffed with second though :)

Here are the results:-

https://simsource.azurewebsites.net/results/47lc07babd04?tab-=practice

https://simsource.azurewebsites.net/results/47lc07babd04?tab-=qualifying

https://simsource.azurewebsites.net/results/47lc07babd04?tab-=race

Where do I start . Lap one i clipped @willmilland lost the pack, as did he for which i can only apologise. So i parked up until he went back past me. 

Then I must have been getting flat spots due to late breaking at corners as the FFB was going crazy at nearly every corner after about 15 laps. Then puncture, 1. Came back out rank last , got past pabs  after a couple of laps and then a few laps later, same thing again, puncture 2 . Both front right. 

Don’t really like the track, if I'm honest, just cannot get any rhythm at all.

7 minutes ago, davejm said:

@SharkyOB Oh man, I watched the replay and I'm sure most of us would have done the same thing.  I wouldn't have realised, in the heat of the moment, that it would have DQ'd for that.  What a shame :(  Was looking forward to battling you now that I seem to have found some pace.

Me too mate, next time!

I defo deserved the DQ, after watching the replay.  I should've turned the car around and driven back towards the track, but heat of the moment and all that.

@SANtoOos Look at our average lap times... only 2 tenths difference on average...

image.png.49bec3c6a33551b8c0b7e2e84ed18021.png

It felt like you'd pulled out a massive gap (I think it was 8 or 9 seconds in the end) but it goes to show how close we really were, when you consider the average lap time :)  Well time mate!  Well deserved win.

No need to apologies @mrben09 - that was the only highlight of my race tonight. For whatever reason, the car felt totally different than it did in practice. Also, think the downshifter on my wheel is not working properly, will need to take it apart and have a look. Still can't find a setting that feels comfortable for me for the brakes/wheel - I still can't brake , so after next weeks race, I thing I'm done with ACC for a while.

I'm dreading the two hour Endurance :(  I was looking forward to it when I was using the monitor; but when racing in VR I'm so tense (I think the immersion ramps up the intensity) and at the end of these 1 hour races I'm shattered and achy.  I can feel my whole body is tense, and there were a couple of times in the race tonight when I had to have a word with myself to try and relax.

So I think a change of focus for me when practicing this week; comfort, trying to stay relaxed, and taking it steady.  Will try and get in some longer practice sessions to see how I feel.

11 minutes ago, davejm said:

Oh my, that league table is incredible!

Oh for fff... I forgot to put Sharky in 12th. Don't ask how I managed that. Will fix it in the morning. :doh:

7 hours ago, SharkyOB said:

FFS, came round the fast right hander towards the end of the lap a bit too quick and had to lift off to avoid @SneakyNinja.  It's one of those situations where if I'd been by myself I might have got away with it, but it was either lift off or hit him and I'd always rather cause myself an issue.  Problem was I ended up half spinning to the right and finished on the grass on the inside of the hairpin, so I drove across it thinking that was the safest thing to do (spinning the car round and driving back onto the track the other way seemed like a recipe for disaster), waited for SN to pass so I didn't gain time then drove back onto the track; immediate DQ for driving the wrong way.  Lesson learned, totally my fault.

Arghh feel bad for you man, this game can be infuriatingly harsh at times.

Unfortunately you had to be the one that happened to, we all know now. They really should have an onscreen warning countdown first before disqualifying. 

6 hours ago, davejm said:

@SANtoOos Look at our average lap times... only 2 tenths difference on average...

image.png.49bec3c6a33551b8c0b7e2e84ed18021.png

It felt like you'd pulled out a massive gap (I think it was 8 or 9 seconds in the end) but it goes to show how close we really were, when you consider the average lap time :)  Well time mate!  Well deserved win.

I wasn't as consistent as I wanted today, was distracted by an argument with a mate before the race. BUT at Monza I felt consistent and you were faster. So yeah it's pretty close! Very impressed with your newfound pace. 

6 hours ago, willmill said:

No need to apologies @mrben09 - that was the only highlight of my race tonight. For whatever reason, the car felt totally different than it did in practice. Also, think the downshifter on my wheel is not working properly, will need to take it apart and have a look. Still can't find a setting that feels comfortable for me for the brakes/wheel - I still can't brake , so after next weeks race, I thing I'm done with ACC for a while.

Will, are you on a T300rs? My mate broke one of my old wheel shifters by pulling too hard (different mate, not cause of argument :lol:), didn't feel broken but I kept missing shifts. I had to open it and superglue the plastic pivot bits, can find photos and info if it's the same wheel! 

6 hours ago, Meers said:

It has never been so close before!!! JUST LOOK AT THAT! :omg:

image.png.10649a1a1365ac173105bb81204cb9ca.png

Wow! Can't remember now, was it decided the 2h race was gonna be worth double points? (or did we just half the amount of points given to a sprint race?) unfortunately not sure I can do full 2h next week so might miss :(

8 hours ago, davejm said:

Oh my, that league table is incredible!

Now edited to include @SharkyOB after his unfortunate and harsh DQ.

It's still anyone's game really. In a freak scenario, even I could still win! :lol:

It was a great race for me! I had a bit of an unfocused quali because I got distracted by my little girl crying. Lost 2 places in the first lap of the race because I was taking peeks at her monitor but found my mojo quickly enough when she was back in dream land. I was now in 9th in front of @extremepabs, @willmill and @mrben09 and just behind @Valver, @milko and @Speech in a scrap for 6th place for a good while, until Valver lost it on the fast straight. What happened there, mate? You were going straight on, then your car suddenly took another direction for no apperent reason!

So in 8th, I was chasing Milko. He was giving me a damn hard time trying to get past - excellent defending and a blistering pace had me me work hard for it. I managed to out-brake him at the last hairpin and got past cleanly. Speech was the same - I spent ages trying to get close but when I did he showed some excellent defending. He ran wide at some point and I managed to get past. Unfortunately a coule of corners later he dabbed my rear fender which put me in a sideways drift whilst my engine cut out. Quickly restarted it and Speech was a gent in letting me keep the position. On we went whilst Milko and Valver connected with us again.

With that, I was in 6th position and now chasing @SneakyNinja who was a good 12 seconds ahead of me. He was way out of reach so I tried to focus on my lines and apexes. He pitted a lap earlier than me so I was ahead of him at that point, fully expecting to be behind him again after my own pitstop. But that's not how it went down. Apparently he had a longer stop than I had (just fuel for me - 13 seconds) and I got out in front of him with about 8 seconds between us. That was a real surprise in my advantage - 5th!

Same when @SharkyOB dropped out unexpectedly, 4th place. I kept my gap with SneakyNinja constant whilst I tried to not make any mistakes. @davejm, @Count Buffalos and @SANtoOos were too far ahead so I decided to nurse it home. Amazing result from 9th to 4th! :omg:

9 hours ago, willmill said:

Which brake set do you have? Does it have a load cell?

17 minutes ago, Meers said:

Which brake set do you have? Does it have a load cell?

It’s the thrust master tlcm pedals, have tried changing brake force in the software and different spring configurations, but still doesn’t feel like I can stop in time. Most likely it’s me that’s the problem...it’s just infuriating that it won’t stop when I’ve got my foot flat to the floor

2 minutes ago, willmill said:

It’s the thrust master tlcm pedals, have tried changing brake force in the software and different spring configurations, but still doesn’t feel like I can stop in time. Most likely it’s me that’s the problem...it’s just infuriating that it won’t stop when I’ve got my foot flat to the floor

Ah, that's with a load cell on the brake pedal. On my CSR Elite there's a dial on the load cell that allows me to set the sensitivity of the braking, does the Tlcm have that as well? Is there an app that allows you to check all the pedals on travel? They should all reach 100% on max travel.

Alternatively, make sure there's absolutely no deadzone in any pedal. Especially the outer deadzone (at the full travel end). How was the brake bias of your setup?

Questions!

1 hour ago, Meers said:

...and just behind @Valver, @milko and @Speech in a scrap for 6th place for a good while, until Valver lost it on the fast straight. What happened there, mate? You were going straight on, then your car suddenly took another direction for no apparent reason!

Totally my own fault.  I was right behind @milko and @Speech for much of lap 4 and then got a better exit out of that hairpin onto the back straight.  I came up to @milko's bumper and moved right to set up an overtake, but my speed difference was so small that as we got to the right-hand bend (that you can cut massively)  I just wasn't far enough up alongside him to really put in a fair overtake move.  I'd have just  clipped his rear quarter and caused him to spin as he quite legitimately took the line over that curb.  So I lifted off.  At 100+mph while starting a right hand turn.  And I got horrific lift off oversteer, which brought the back end round to my left and speared me straight into the wall on the right.  Got damage and that was the end of me being competitive.   

It all happened in the blink of an eye and it left me feeling a bit dizzy (in VR!)

So regarding next week's race...how about we make it 1,5h long instead of 2h? 1 hour is pretty doable for me and apart from getting a sore (cybernetic) left knee, I'm sat pretty comfortable in my racing seat for long periods of time.

I'm going to adjust my pedals a bit as well, moving them more to the left so that I don't have to stretch too far for the brake pedal which causes strain on my left knee after some time.

4 minutes ago, Valver said:

Totally my own fault.  I was right behind @milko and @Speech for much of lap 4 and then got a better exit out of that hairpin onto the back straight.  I came up to @milko's bumper and moved right to set up an overtake, but my speed difference was so small that as we got the right-hand bend (that you can cut massively)  I just wasn't far enough up alongside him to really put in a fair overtake move.  I'd have just  clipped his rear quarter and caused him to spin as he quite legitimately took the line over that curb.  So I lifted off.  At 100+mph while starting a right hand turn.  And I got horrific lift off oversteer, which brought the back end round to my left and speared me straight into the wall.  Got damage and that was the end of me being competitive.   

Damn mate, that sucks. The Ferrari is pretty stable all around. Is the Merc a bit more prone to lift off oversteer?

1 minute ago, Meers said:

Damn mate, that sucks. The Ferrari is pretty stable all around. Is the Merc a bit more prone to lift off oversteer?

Ah, that's racing! :D

I suspect the Merc is just as stable as the Ferrari (ask @Thor) and it's just my lead footed clumsy inputs unsettling it :doh:

I'd be up for changing the endurance to 1.5 hours.  Would that mean @SANtoOos can make it?  I'd suggest that if anyone is thinking of dropping out due to the length, we should adjust.  More people involved is obviously preferable.

On the subject of 'lift off oversteer'; I used to get it a lot in the Ferrari but since I've got more skilled in sim racing I've learnt to modulate out of the throttle in moments like that.  But sometimes you have to react quickly, so it's not always possible.