Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu

Season 3 Round 6 - Monza Sprint

Morning folks!  Round 6 of the rllmuk GT World Challenge brings us to Monza, with two sprint races; the first a 5am morning race followed by a 2pm afternoon race.

Practice

• Time: 19:00 until 20:15 (75 minutes)

Qualification 1

• Time: 20:15 until 20:25 (10 minutes)

Race 1

• Time: 20:25 until 20:50 (25 minutes)
  • No mandatory pit stop
  • Start time (in-game): 05:00

Qualification 2

• Time: 20:55 until 21:05 (10 minutes)

Race 2

• Time: 21:05 until 20:30 (25 minutes)
  • No mandatory pit stop
  • Start time (in-game): 14:00

Conditions

• 18°C average ambient temperature
  • Moderate weather variation, potential rain

Practice Timings

image.png.5a5ee03b16b92ee95d3023e76b828758.png

30 minutes ago, Meers said:

Should be good! Can't wait for it! :D

You seem to have gotten to grips with VR, @davejm. Top spot in free practice, nicely done!

Cheers mate, yeah I'm definitely faster now.  I'm still getting some slight headaches (usually the morning after using) but those are easing.  Also, during races I'm definitely more tense and nervous in VR.  The immersion gets the adrenaline going I think; so when I get more used to it hopefully I'll feel a bit calmer (as I do when using the monitor) and start to feel the benefits even more.

4 hours ago, davejm said:

I'm still getting some slight headaches (usually the morning after using) but those are easing. 

I take it that's not because of the framerate, but as a consequence of your eyes being really close to the VR screens?

3 minutes ago, Meers said:

I take it that's not because of the framerate, but as a consequence of your eyes being really close to the VR screens?

Yeah, I'm assuming so.  But not entirely sure.  Framerate is good (72fps locked).  

gutted, internet for shit - managed to get a hotspot 5g on my phone and do second qualifying and now that's died as well. Fucksake. Or maybe my PC noticed the normal internet come back for a minute and decided that'd be better and then it wasn't. Anyway, end result is no good for me. Hope you all had fun, I was looking forward to that one all day.

1 hour ago, milko said:

gutted, internet for shit - managed to get a hotspot 5g on my phone and do second qualifying and now that's died as well. Fucksake. Or maybe my PC noticed the normal internet come back for a minute and decided that'd be better and then it wasn't. Anyway, end result is no good for me. Hope you all had fun, I was looking forward to that one all day.

Really sorry about the issues you had tonight mate, hopefully next week will be better!

Second race was way enjoyable, in much as the first was a cluster of immense proportions. Drive throughs, Stop and Go, damaged car after .5 laps. The whole nine yards !

Really enjoyed racing @jamefor pretty much the whole race, just a shame my brakes overheated and let go (just for one corner !) with a couple of laps to go. 

Here's the leaderboard after 9 races:

image.thumb.png.e903e51fa9e488f57b6fd4d3dce6c296.png

@SharkyOB still reigns supreme, but behind him it's extremely tight with @Count Buffalos, @SneakyNinja and @davejm close behind with only 1 point between them!!! :omg:

Then in 5th (and very chuffed with it) it's myself, closely followed (and soon surpassed, I'm sure) by @SANtoOos. @Valvercloses the triple-digit lineup with 104 points, still ahead of @Speech who has raised eyebrows with his strong performance. @mrben09 is impressing with a 9th place, followed by @willmill in 10th. He has to step on it though, because @SweatyTravolta is only 1 point behind him. Places 12-16 looks tight as well, and @jame is looking to latch on to that group soon. Not bad for a first race with us!

Myself, I had a fantastic race night. I am so happy with my 3rd qualifying spot and my first podium for the first race, as well as the 5th quali spot and -finish for the 2nd race. I've had close scraps with Speech, Sharky, Buffalos and Ninja in both races! It's great to be able to keep up (mostly) with the top guys, I've been working hard for it. ^_^

And my recent hardware settings tweaking has contributed to that as well. Having a stable framerate fed to you is essential for sim racing. I'm steadily gathering all the parts for my new PC and hopefully I can put it all together in a month or 2.

So I'm gonna ask this here, as I can't work this out. I modded my Logitech brake pedal so I can hit 100% braking more easily. But I've noticed when folks are behind me, my braking point is still early compared to others on the track. eg for the 1st chicance at Monza I can see faster folks hitting the brakes at the 150 mark on the track, yet if I do that I'm too late to get into the corner and keep control of the car so I need to brake at 175 (this is using brakes 1).

I've tried more abs, less abs, not stomping on the brake (eg trying to control the weight shift before applying full pressure). I'd always put this down to the rubber stopper in the pedals preventing me from hitting max brakes, but that's out the equation now. Any tips to what I'm missing? I'm usually downshifting when braking so the gears help me to slow. 

@Mr MajestykI'll be honest, on that straight, I just slam on at 150, I'm coming down the gears as well, but I dont think that's actually doing a lot. I did notice last night, that if I really slam on (pulling back on the whell as well !) I do get it to slow even quicker, which then gets me round a little quicker, but I still start at 150. 

I have the same pedals (stock). Would it be worth sharing my in game controller (brake) settings ? 

Braking is one of the main problems I have, watching a lap by counts buffalos in the same car as me and he seems to be able to brake later and harder than I ever can, have tried my default pedals and my load cell pedals, but still can’t seem to find a setting that can let me brake as late

I wonder whether this is more to do with your control of the car into the turn, rather than the actual braking itself?  Buffalos might be turning in at higher speed whilst still making the apex due to his control of the car, whereas (and I'm speculating here) you might not have the same confidence and control to turn the car in whilst at the same speed after braking.   Hence it feeling like you've overshot.  Weight transfer makes a big difference in these cars, and your steering and pedal inputs after the braking zone is very important.  I don't really have any answers to that one, as slower corners after significant braking zones has been a weak point of mine; which has improved a lot since I moved to VR but I can't really explain why.  It's something you feel that comes instinctively.

23 minutes ago, Mr Majestyk said:

So I'm gonna ask this here, as I can't work this out. I modded my Logitech brake pedal so I can hit 100% braking more easily. But I've noticed when folks are behind me, my braking point is still early compared to others on the track. eg for the 1st chicance at Monza I can see faster folks hitting the brakes at the 150 mark on the track, yet if I do that I'm too late to get into the corner and keep control of the car so I need to brake at 175 (this is using brakes 1).

I've tried more abs, less abs, not stomping on the brake (eg trying to control the weight shift before applying full pressure). I'd always put this down to the rubber stopper in the pedals preventing me from hitting max brakes, but that's out the equation now. Any tips to what I'm missing? I'm usually downshifting when braking so the gears help me to slow. 

I have the same feeling as you guys. Feels like the brake pads are made of French toast or something. 

I brake juuuust before the white line at the first chicane on Monza (no idea which distance marker that is). I have a brake pedal with load cell, and I have to push HARD on it whilst downshifting (engine braking), and I somehow have the feeling that it doesn't brake as hard as I want it to. Maybe I need to have a look at my pedal(s) as well, it might have gathered some muck or something.

I know these cars don't have F1 grade brakes, but I take it they do have some high grade brake pads regardless?

Maybe my CSR Elite pedals are on their way out, who knows. I'll have a look this weekend.

51 minutes ago, Mr Majestyk said:

Two things to check and a possible driving thing:

1. In the windows profiler for your wheel/pedals, when you press down on the brake 100%, does it report 100%?  So make sure that fully pushing the brake is actually sending full braking to the car.  Also check this in the game; if braking 100% isn't actually giving 100% braking, you can change the saturation setting on the pedal to compensate.

2. Setup changes can also effect braking distances, especially brake bias.  The default setup might have the bias a little bit too far forward, for example, which might increase braking distance.

3.  Do you trail brake?  This is probably the biggest driver affected factor on brake distances.  You should be able to slam the brakes on and keep them pretty much fully on while in a straight line.  As you get down to the correct gear for the corner, you'll probably start to turn and you need to start coming off the brake as you steer.  Imagine there's a piece of string between your foot and the hand on the opposite side of the wheel to the turn; as the hand goes up, so does your foot on the brake.  Trail braking means you can brake later as you're still braking as you start to turn.  You should be fully off the brake at the apex and back on the throttle as quickly as possible.

7 minutes ago, davejm said:

I wonder whether this is more to do with your control of the car into the turn, rather than the actual braking itself?  Buffalos might be turning in at higher speed whilst still making the apex due to his control of the car, whereas (and I'm speculating here) you might not have the same confidence and control to turn the car in whilst at the same speed after braking.   Hence it feeling like you've overshot.  Weight transfer makes a big difference in these cars, and your steering and pedal inputs after the braking zone is very important.  I don't really have any answers to that one, as slower corners after significant braking zones has been a weak point of mine; which has improved a lot since I moved to VR but I can't really explain why.  It's something you feel that comes instinctively.

Seeing as you're in the 488 Evo as well, where do you brake before the first chicane on Monza?

I'm braking hard in a straight line whilst shifting down to 2nd, release a bit of braking pressure and turn in (whilst still braking slightly), shift to 1st and gradually let go of the brakes completely whilst coasting through the chicane. I still have my foot on the brake whilst I hit the kerb on the turn in (so that would be trail-braking then).

3 minutes ago, Meers said:

Seeing as you're in the 488 Evo as well, where do you brake before the first chicane on Monza?

I'm braking hard in a straight line whilst shifting down to 2nd, release a bit of braking pressure and turn in (whilst still braking slightly), shift to 1st and gradually let go of the brakes completely whilst coasting through the chicane. I still have my foot on the brake whilst I hit the kerb on the turn in (so that would be trail-braking then).

I'm hard on the brakes at 150 metres.  I've got no idea what I'm actually doing in turn in at the T1 Monza (in that, I can't really describe it to you), but I've watched some of my replays on other circuits and I'm definitely doing trail braking more instinctively now and in a smoother way.

6 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Two things to check and a possible driving thing:

1. In the windows profiler for your wheel/pedals, when you press down on the brake 100%, does it report 100%?  So make sure that pushing the brake is actually sending full braking to the car.  Also check this in the game; if braking 100% isn't actually giving 100% braking, you can change the saturation setting on the pedal to compensate.

2. Setup changes can also effect braking distances, especially brake bias.  The default setup might have the bias a little bit too far forward, for example, which might increase braking distance.

3.  Do you trail brake?  This is probably the biggest driver affected factor on brake distances.  You should be able to slam the brakes on and keep them pretty much fully on while in a straight line.  As you get down to the correct gear for the corner, you'll probably start to turn and you need to start coming off the brake as you steer.  Imagine there's a piece of string between your foot and the hand on the opposite side of the wheel to the turn; as the hand goes up, so does your foot on the brake.  Trail braking means you can brake later as you're still braking as you start to turn.  You should be fully off the brake at the apex and back on the throttle as quickly as possible.

Those are great points, in particular point 2. Will have a look at that.

1 minute ago, Meers said:

That sounds fine to me, are you braking at the 150 board?

23 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

That sounds fine to me, are you braking at the 150 board?

No idea, just looking at the white line (and the rubber deposit) on the tarmac to determine my braking point at that particular point. It's also where the tarmac changes to a lighter gray colour. I mainly like to keep my eye on-track as much as I can so I look for braking markers there if possible.

I noticed that you and Buffalos brake around that point too, but it seemed that you slow down faster than me. Could be the dirty air effect again as I was fairly close behind. If so, then the simulation goes deeper than I thought. But with ACC, that's not a surprise anymore.

10 hours ago, Valver said:

Tonight's highlight vids:

and race 2 - look at us all going cleanly through turn 1!  Yay us!!

Booooo. Just after @jame overtook me in the highlight vid, I was following them all the way and pulled off a decent overtake coming out of Ascari, getting the position back but it was obviously not good enough for the AI controlled replay. Boo to the game. Oh well, at least it didn't show me running out of fuel moments later. 

Great fun last night but for some reason my internet dropped in race 1 and i ended up racing alone. However race 2 was much better enjoyed it I think I am getting more comfortable with the Ferrari now.

Dont think I got in anyones way if I did apologies.

Love the replay videos I look forward to them as much as the races :)

@SharkyOB's comment about trail braking is what I was getting at with my note about weight transfer and the approach to the corner after the braking zone.  On the face of it, you don't do a LOT of trail braking into Monza turn 1 compared to turns at other tracks, but you still want to avoid a sudden transfer of weight to the rear (which is what happens if you suddenly lift off the brake).  It needs to be controlled; so there is weight on the front tyres which gives you more turn in.  It requires confidence; because you have to overcome that fear of turning in whilst carrying more speed than can feel appropriate.

18 minutes ago, davejm said:

It requires confidence; because you have to overcome that fear of turning in whilst carrying more speed than can feel appropriate.

Totally, and this is another thing which can be affected by brake bias; too much bias to the front or rear and you'll be more prone to locking those wheels as you brake into the corner and especially as you start to trail brake and turn the car.  Too much rear bias is really noticeable in fast corners where you have to reduce speed while turning, like turns 1 and 2 at Suzuka.

2 hours ago, Mr Majestyk said:

I'm in exactly the same position. To the point where I'm convinced there's something wrong with my pedals.

At Monza I have to brake at around 175m for turn 1, or I'm creating polystyrene snow as I plough through the signs in the run off. 

It was the same at Hungaroring last week, where I'm sure I nearly caught @Meers and @SANtoOos out with how early I have to brake. 

I know deep down that it's a lack of talent but when braking in a straight line for a very slow chicane with a fairly fixed min apex speed, it's hard to see what I can do to improve.