Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu

17 hours ago, davejm said:

Thread has dropped off the first page.  That WON'T do! :D

image.png.19fc683268a0a25595f3e9463e0cb6af.png

Great lap @davejm! Had to work really hard to get even close to it. Nice we are all pushing each other, the league benefits, feels we are all improving as sim racers. 

I managed a 1:48.4 in single player practice for the AOR league race last week, and did that good lap you see there; but I've not been able to get close the last couple of times I've practiced.  I'm getting better at the game, but my performance really varies from day to day; does anyone else find that? 

More timings...

image.png.56327cfbbc125909233878f0af6eeaaf.png

1 minute ago, davejm said:

I'm getting better at the game, but my performance really varies from day to day; does anyone else find that? 

Yep, I find that your performance varies from day to day as well. -_-

:P

I think I'm pretty consistent nowadays. The only time when it varies for me is when I'm really tired.

5 hours ago, davejm said:

I managed a 1:48.4 in single player practice for the AOR league race last week, and did that good lap you see there; but I've not been able to get close the last couple of times I've practiced.  I'm getting better at the game, but my performance really varies from day to day; does anyone else find that? 

More timings...

image.png.56327cfbbc125909233878f0af6eeaaf.png

Every time I've practiced in single player it felt the track was faster than on the server? Not sure though. Obviously you know this but if you practice with a few cars on a rubbered in track in cooler conditions that would give you a better laptime than when you start the server just by yourself, so it's not entirely fair to compare practice sessions. 

Apart from that, if I'm inconsistent or not able to match a previous time it's because I'm trying too hard, thinking about lap times and watching the delta too much. Recently I started turning off the laptime counter on the HUD during practice and found I would be more consistent and keep the same pace, sometimes faster. It is really useful for learning where you are losing and gaining time, but it can be so distracting as well. 

Edit: I think @SharkyOB was saying this on Discord, it's all about feeling relaxed. Happens to me, you practice, totally chilled and in the zone, put in a great lap. Next time you're practicing you're chasing the same lap time and you're driving too hard, making mistakes, braking too late trying to gain a tenth, but that makes you lose 3-5 tenths the next straight... I'm often surprised, sometimes I break a little earlier and gain loads on the exit. Such fine margins though, brake too early and you lose the same amount of time <_< I think that's why I like racing, the more you learn, the more there is to learn... Sorry it's getting long, I know it's sacrilege but I don't love Monza (I like it, just one of my least favourite from the game :unsure:) , I love flowy tracks with little time to think between corners, I get focused better. Tracks with too many straights make my mind wander off, harder to get in the zone, so maybe like me you are losing concentration on the straights/overthinking, a good way to combat that is to take in as much visual info as possible, just take it in and be aware, but don't think too much maaaaan <hippie emoji>

Aye, I'll agree with that. My pole lap at Spa at the end of the first season? I actually thought I was taking it easy, still warming up my tyres for the next lap - boom, fastest lap I'd ever done around the track. I knew I wouldn't better it and so just went the pit lane. :)

Just now, Thor said:

@davejm Are you racing in VR only now?

Yep, I've moved over to VR now.  That said, I went to do a race yesterday and my headset was out of charge (and the link cable doesn't supply enough juice to actively charge when you're using) so I had to change back to the monitor.  I was definitely slower last night, so there's no doubt that the added spacial awareness of VR helps hit the apexes etc.

24 minutes ago, Mr Majestyk said:

If it's cool I'd like to jump back in. Been enough of a break and I love Monza :) 

Are you kidding? We've missed you on track!

@Thor we miss you too mate. Sorry to hear you failed your exam. :(

5 hours ago, Thor said:

If I hadn't failed my recent ACCA exam I too would be looking to jump back in. 

Sorry to hear that mate, when can you resit it?

Can't wait for the race on Thursday!  I'm also driving in the AOR league tonight after doing practice races over the last couple of days.  Last night was incredible, Dave and I both raced and I started 20th and finished 7th, absolutely made up with that.  Was close to a 50 car field too, the replay of the start looks incredible :wub:

We were at Suzuka and this is the view from the hairpin on lap 1:

image.thumb.png.9a629f810817770ccac85af7461dbd33.png

4 hours ago, Thor said:

If I hadn't failed my recent ACCA exam I too would be looking to jump back in. 

Sorry to hear man, good luck with the next one and looking forward to having you back with us! 

6 hours ago, Meers said:

I will have some time tonight to do a couple of laps.

Are you practicing at Monza? I can join from 7:30pm UK time, would be up for a race if anyone fancies 

1 hour ago, SharkyOB said:

Sorry to hear that mate, when can you resit it?

1 hour ago, SANtoOos said:

Sorry to hear man, good luck with the next one and looking forward to having you back with us! 

Cheers both,  I can resit in March, but I may just see about resitting in June and go through the materials again.

15 hours ago, davejm said:

image.png.ac9ccd1a82f08f3b6d47e12e8ae37282.png

Got a 1:49.5xx in last night. @Speech is getting quick! :ph34r:

14 hours ago, SharkyOB said:

Here's the first couple of laps from last night:

Damn that looks amazing with that many cars. 8-)

I did some fiddling in the Nvidia settings for ACC specifically (why I never looked there I don't know).

I mainly set the options in there to 'performance' and changed the frame buffering so that it queues more frames in advance - it only did 1 frame in advance previously*.

So far it seems to have sorted the random frame freezes and the frametime micro stuttering that was still slightly noticable before this tweak. Basically it's now silky smooth in 1080p60 (and I thought my previous setting was smooth considering my hardware's limitations).

* I think my laptop's CPU couldn't keep up with feeding the GPU frames, so it randomly dropped the single buffered frame which may have caused the random freezes?

I'm really curious to see (if I ever work it out) what the difference is between the leading pack and the chasers. There's two distinct groups usually within tenths of each other internally but miles apart as a whole. 

I haven't had much time to learn this track and haven't driven Monza since, god I dunno, Geoff Crammond's GP probably. Hoping I get chance to try a bit more, it's a fun change from everything else I've tried in the game. How the bollocks are we supposed to get through that first chicane together on lap 1? If @Valver cops the same 'everyone anywhere near somehow contrive to hit Valver' treatment as last race this time he's gonna be a smoking wreck.

39 minutes ago, milko said:

I'm really curious to see (if I ever work it out) what the difference is between the leading pack and the chasers. There's two distinct groups usually within tenths of each other internally but miles apart as a whole. 

I haven't had much time to learn this track and haven't driven Monza since, god I dunno, Geoff Crammond's GP probably. Hoping I get chance to try a bit more, it's a fun change from everything else I've tried in the game. How the bollocks are we supposed to get through that first chicane together on lap 1? If @Valver cops the same 'everyone anywhere near somehow contrive to hit Valver' treatment as last race this time he's gonna be a smoking wreck.

image.thumb.png.53e0dec109c32e3f03584db677f4dafc.png

Listen, I've driven round that corner at least ten times now and there's no way it's wider than one car. Fake image!

(I more just wanted to amuse myself remembering the helicopter view of Valver's slapstick start to last race, it really was mad how many cars managed to give him a bash around the first corner)

15 hours ago, milko said:

It's not as far apart as it used to be. Everyone in this series is getting better by the week, up to a point that some of us can give the forum's own 'aliens' some fierce competition nowadays. The difference in racing craft between now and the first season is huge! Proof that sticking with it will pay off in the long run. Massive props to everyone for that. 8-)

12 hours ago, SharkyOB said:

Gotta love Macau!

Nah. Street circuits are the devil's spawn. All boxed in and no way to look into corners. No wonder shit like that happens. :P