Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu

Hungaroring

rllmuk GT World Challenge Season 3 Round 5

Morning guys.  Who's up for some Hungaroring Endurance?

• Practice: 19:00 until 20:15 (75 minutes)
  • Qualifying: 20:15 until 20:30 (15 minutes)
  • Race:
    • 20:30 until 21:30 (60 minutes)
    • 1 mandatory pit stop (for fuel and/or tyres)
    • 17:00 (in-game) start time
    • 4x time multiplier
  • Conditions
    • 10°C average ambient temperature
    • Moderate weather variation, potential rain

Practice Timings

image.png.2ad5fcf1b0211042d6aeb6c6232b8e4d.png

I've got an "online parents evening video call" for my daughter's school tonight.  It starts relatively early, so I'm hopeful I'll still be able to join... but if I don't make it - that's the reason.

There was a massive pile up on the Ascari straight involving about 10 cars, full on flying in the air towards me! It was caused by a car spinning and then rolling back onto the track. I essentially had nowhere to go and made contact with a car spinning in front of me also trying to take avoidance. However, there are automatic enquiries generated for any contact resulting in damage and it’s encouraged that drivers give their perspective on incidents.

Yeah, I had to submit my take on an incident last night (which was totally my fault).  I'd imagine I'll get some points added to my 'license' for it.  To be fair, the guy that came off worse didn't report it himself (and he has been fine about it) but the server generates incident logs which the stewards pick up so mine was one of those automated ones.

Anyway. Good race guys. Had a good battle with @Valverand @milko and then my maths skills let me down. Actually they didn’t , when I got the low fuel warning it appeared that 2.58 I had calculated had gone up to 2.73 and I hadn’t noticed. 

Fuck! 

@mrben09 :(  Gutted dude!

I had a good race in the end, despite a really shaky start.  Settled down and had some good pace, and benefited from incidents in front to take second.

Here are the results:-

https://simsource.azurewebsites.net/results/a0b507a8472b?tab-=practice

https://simsource.azurewebsites.net/results/a0b507a8472b?tab-=qualifying

https://simsource.azurewebsites.net/results/a0b507a8472b?tab-=race

Had a fun little duel with @mrben09 for a few laps early on. I learned a couple of races ago that my fuel consumption always seems to be higher in the race than practice, haven't worked out why yet! So far I'm carrying too much around with me and overcompensating.

Then a fairly long lonely stint, which I honestly don't mind right now at least while I'm learning the ropes. Then a TITANIC STRUGGLE with @Valver for the last ten minutes I think it was, I was the faster car at that stage but the one time I made it past cleanly I immediately messed up the next corner and lost the place again. Then it was a lot of get-real-close-then-miss-the-braking-point fun until the end of the race, goddamnit. I was just happy I managed not to crash into you really! Also I was on my final warning for track cuts (for overstepping the exit curbs) so I had to be a bit careful.

Just realised that by unnecessarily repairing a few things on the car in my pitstop by forgetting they'd be ticked, I probably cost myself that place then. Lessons!

Well, from my vantage point it was a great race and lots of fun, thanks all. By the radio chatter it sounded like one or two incidents and bad luck things elsewhere... 

Well, that was a total disaster from start to finish...managed to run into @valver at the first corner, then spun on the 3rd lap into the barrier and had to sit in the pits for 1 1/2 minutes for repairs, putting me last on the grid. When I pitted for repairs, I forgot to remove the fuel and tires, so ended up coming back out with about 140 litres, think I ended the race with 40l of fuel remaining. The steering still didn't feel right after the repairs, so I tried to stay out of everyone's way as best as I could. Let's hope next weeks better for me.....

15 minutes ago, jame said:

I'll join for the rest of the season, assuming that's fine. Have a three week break from uni after the 22nd so I can go hard on learning Kyalami and Misano

Of course!  Glad to have you involved.

Man I was swearing into my Rift at the start of the race!  I tried to keep my nose clean going into the first corner, saw a couple go wide in front and thought "yes, I'm gaining places!".  But the excitement was short lived as on the exit I got hit and then spun out in two different contacts.  I was not happy!  By the time I'd reversed out of the wall (and avoided the two people behind me re-joining after their incidents) I was dead last with a damaged car.  :mad:

I then drove ANGRY  for a few laps and made lots of mistakes as I missed braking points and went wide of apexes repeatedly.  I was not concentrating at all!

But eventually the red mist cleared and I thought - well it can't get any worse - lets see what I can salvage from this!   #positiveattitude  #youcandoit  :lol:

I picked up my pace and did a few overtakes and made it up to the back of @mrben09  I was clearly faster - but not fast enough to actually pass.  Some quality defending sir!  Enjoyed that battle.  Cant say I wasn't relieved when I finally passed you after you made a mistake though.

And then towards the end of the race I was caught by a much faster @milko and another epic duel kicked off.  I was covering every apex I could.  I knew I was overall a lot slower pretty much everywhere, and the defensive lines I was taking also weren't helping my lap times, but I knew I just had to to stop him from passing and run down the laps to the checkered flag.  He dived left and right and got ahead maybe twice, only to go miss the next braking point, go wide and I'd sneak back past.  I was properly intimidated by his headlights zooming up behind me at each slow corner.  When I crossed the line ahead I was sweating buckets!!  Nice racing dude - and thanks for keeping it contact free.  Great job!  Made my race!

Right, enough rambling - here's the highlights video.  I used the helicopter shot for the race start...   (HD version will take a bit longer to process...  check back later if you see SD content)

Was just watching the replay.  Apologies again for the start, it looks like I just ploughed on through but I was basically skating across the surface.  Had no traction at all, so was basically a passenger at that point.

Also, my overtake on @Valver felt mostly clean at the time but the replay shows i did squeeze you out to the right a wee bit so sorry for that one dude.

5 minutes ago, davejm said:

Also, my overtake on @Valver felt mostly clean at the time but the replay shows i did squeeze you out to the right a wee bit so sorry for that one dude.

Ha ha, no worries,  actually I went wide and slowed to let you through!   I figured we'd both lose less time and I'd have less chance of an incident if I just gave up the position with as little fuss as possible...  you were waaaay faster than me tonight.

Nothing to apologise for at all!

Good fun last night I came round the corner to see valver and I couldn't avoid contact at the start apologies. After that had some pitstop issues so ended up in and out of the pits 3 times.

I think I made a mistake with the ferrari I really struggle to feel like i have any grip, I have tried a few setups i grabbed from the net but none really seemed to help. A change of car for next season i think. Not sure what though I did like the Nissan so may go back to that.

Enjoyed last nights race.  Was really happy with my qualifying, it all came together at the end, with me beating the previous laps time by about half a second on each of the last 3 laps.  The race didn't go quite as well, but still had my best result so far.  For some reason I seem to really eat up my tyres after about 10-15 minutes into the race.  Had it happen at a couple of races now, but after pitting for a fresh set was happy with my pace.

Congrats @SharkyOB :) Really frustrating start for me, hit drive and said "Good luck all" on Discord only to find my push to talk button was binded to "pause" by default in ACC. It transported me back to the pits. Never had this issue as I only talked on Discord while already in the menus or with a moving car. So harsh the game does that, it really should let you unpause. Then as soon as my controls unlocked I put the limiter on and sped out the pits, only to find a fraction of a second too late the pit limiter was automatically engaged, so 30s stop and go :facepalm: after that pushed flat out and caught @SneakyNinja at the last 2 or 3 laps for a nice fight, sorry for the lunge over the kerb Ninja, your car was blocking my braking marker and my resolution was at 67% so hard to see stuff, gave the position back. Was proper sweating at the end, enjoyed really going for it! 

@davejm for the future, if somebody gets teleported to the pits unexpectedly at the start, is it possible to restart? Or is it a pain in the arse/not possible? 

23 minutes ago, SANtoOos said:

@davejm for the future, if somebody gets teleported to the pits unexpectedly at the start, is it possible to restart? Or is it a pain in the arse/not possible? 

Good shout, yeah it's possible.  I'm not sure why I didn't think of that yesterday.  I'm not sure whether it would totally reset the grid, or keep you in the pits; but maybe that's something we can try sometime if we're on one evening?  Would only take a couple of us to test.

14 hours ago, Count Buffalos said:

Good race, had a multi lap battle with @Meers and @SneakyNinja, great stuff. I was just looking at our contact Sneakyninja - didn't realise it was that heavy. You were on an unusual line on the entry to T3 and very quick on the inside,  I didn't see you at all. Hope you don't feel aggrieved. 

No, not aggrieved at all - just a racing incident from my point of view.

26 minutes ago, SANtoOos said:

Congrats @SharkyOB :) Really frustrating start for me, hit drive and said "Good luck all" on Discord only to find my push to talk button was binded to "pause" by default in ACC. It transported me back to the pits. Never had this issue as I only talked on Discord while already in the menus or with a moving car. So harsh the game does that, it really should let you unpause. Then as soon as my controls unlocked I put the limiter on and sped out the pits, only to find a fraction of a second too late the pit limiter was automatically engaged, so 30s stop and go :facepalm: after that pushed flat out and caught @SneakyNinja at the last 2 or 3 laps for a nice fight, sorry for the lunge over the kerb Ninja, your car was blocking my braking marker and my resolution was at 67% so hard to see stuff, gave the position back. Was proper sweating at the end, enjoyed really going for it! 

Really enjoyed the hard and fair racing with @SANtoOos for the last few laps. I initially thought I was being lapped before realising it was for position. Glad I wasn't the only one sweating at the end! When people got close to me, the VR resolution automatically dropped a bit and combined with my face heat fogging the lenses up I was struggling to see too. Just makes it more realistic :) 

Not sure why, but my car was a bag of arse to control. Tyre pressures were ok, but I had really poor grip, which seemed to get worse. I was 2.5secs a lap off my first lap time by the end.

Even worse was the unpredictable braking. As @Meers and @Count Buffalos saw, I sailed past the turn in point at turn 1 several times. And throughout the lap I was having to brake very early as sometimes it'd slow down, other times it wouldn't. Crew Chief alternated between telling me my brake temps were hot and ok, but they always showed as green. Maybe something was damaged in my 'bump' early on.

All that aside, it was great fun defending against @Meers early on and @SANtoOos at the end. Hope I wasn't too aggressive.

11 minutes ago, davejm said:

Good shout, yeah it's possible.  I'm not sure why I didn't think of that yesterday.  I'm not sure whether it would totally reset the grid, or keep you in the pits; but maybe that's something we can try sometime if we're on one evening?  Would only take a couple of us to test.

That would be a really good call for situations like @SANtoOos' teleportation issue, or after a massive pile-up or something.

4 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

All that aside, it was great fun defending against @Meers early on and @SANtoOos at the end. Hope I wasn't too aggressive.

It was great from my pov, racing you for 3rd! That whole first stint (which lasted for how many laps?) was amazeballs, where @Speech, you, me, @Count Buffalos and @davejm were all racing for 2nd place, while @SharkyOB chuckled like Popeye and continued to increase his lead over us whilst we scuffled.

You defended like a proper race driver, I tried everything from trying to out-brake you to trying different lines but to no avail. Only when you overshot turn 1 I was able to make a succesful move. I was in 110% concentration mode, it was exhausting!

Then I went for @Speech's 2nd place and oh boy, I literally went for him. I slightly tapped him when going into turn 3 and he ran wide. I'm so sorry for that mate. I tried to give you the position back but I didn't know where you were, so I carried on whilst I got overtaken by Nick and Dave. Gone 2nd place, back in 4th.

I was a bit flabbergasted by the whole thing with Speech that I lost a my concentration a bit, and when Nick (Buffalos) and I came out of turn 1, the nose of my 488 was next to his left rear fender as we stormed toward turn 3. @Count Buffalos gradually pinched me towards the entrance of the turn, and I was slightly too late to avoid contact, so I sent him in a 4-wheel drift. Apologies to you for that as well. I gave you the place back, and later you made a mistake and after that I made a mistake as well, so in the end finished 4th which I'm very, very happy with.

It was good racing, I problem at all. I should probably have given you a little more room but what I essentially wanted you to do was give up the corner :)

It’s an interesting corner because it’s such a late apex. If the car hard inside doesn’t completely back out or the outside car give way, contact is sort of inevitable (as with us) or outbrake themselves (as with Sneakyninja)

1 hour ago, davejm said:

Yeah would be worth a test next time we are having an off season race. It's rare and this wasn't a bug but it's massively frustrating if it happens! Up for a few races in the next few days if people are about. 

1 hour ago, SneakyNinja said:

Very good defending from my pov! I took a lot of life out of my tyres earlier in the race, probs pushing too much so couldn't fight harder, but if I hadn't pushed I wouldn't have caught you so don't think it would have changed much.