Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu

4 hours ago, Meers said:

There is! He's your evil twin brother. You were separated at birth. We now know him as @SharkyOB.

3 hours ago, milko said:

haha, I had a weird feeling I was confused. Apologies to both!

Hahahaha CarloOos does suit @SharkyOB :eyebrows:

My dad is a Carlos and I always saw Sharky as a father figure :lol: or just slightly older brother ;)

Didn't realise the oOo's were that popular in the forum! 

@Count Buffalos Ready for the AOR league race?  Looks like we might need to fuel save as we need to take enough for the full race + full formation lap.   Although hopefully the fact I'm not an alien means the car won't be as thirsty as it can be.  Did you do the practice race?

more noob questions: Setup!

I am dabbling in trying to make the car drive better by adjusting things. There are rather a lot of things that can be adjusted, and some of the adjustments can make the car incredibly rubbish to drive, so this is good fun. I've read a few guides and summary sheets that enable me to do some basic stuff without getting too tangled. Good.

One thing I've noticed in the last couple of tracks is that my front left tyre pressure ends up quite a lot higher than the others. I gather that we're always aiming to have all four tires in the sweet spot, something I've very rarely seen happen myself but nevermind. So, is it ok to have quite a large difference in starting PSI to compensate for this, or should I be looking to make some other adjustments as well? I have this idea I'll end up with a car that won't go in a straight line if I start dabbling.

22 minutes ago, milko said:

One thing I've noticed in the last couple of tracks is that my front left tyre pressure ends up quite a lot higher than the others. I gather that we're always aiming to have all four tires in the sweet spot, something I've very rarely seen happen myself but nevermind. So, is it ok to have quite a large difference in starting PSI to compensate for this, or should I be looking to make some other adjustments as well? I have this idea I'll end up with a car that won't go in a straight line if I start dabbling.

Yep, you should always have different cold tyre pressures so they end up about the same when they are hot after around 3 laps. Best way to do this is start with the aggressive setup, do 3 or so laps then quickly go back to the pits (you don't want to sit on the track as the pressures will change), then use the reported hot pressures to change the cold ones. Repeat until you can get the tyres to stay in the 27.5 to 28 psi range.  This is the biggest setup job you need to do at each track as the pressures make the most difference to grip and lap times. 

I always try to make sure that the rear pressures are a tiny bit lower than the fronts (only .1 or .2 of a psi) as I find the car can be a bit oversteery otherwise.

Also make sure the temp difference from inside to outside on each tyre is no more than 5-7 degrees, you might need to slightly adjust camber to sort this, but it'll be minimal if you do. 

Other than that, always use brake pads 1 and set brake ducts fairly closed unless we're racing in really hot conditions. I use 1 at the rear and 2 at the front most of the time with the Nissan. 

Starting PSIs are often wildly different; as the different tyres take a pounding in different ways depending on the track as you start lapping. 

Starting from the default aggressive setup I take a rough stab at increasing them each a few clicks depending on track temp.  A couple of clicks per tyre for warm temps, a lot more clicks (sometimes a whole PSI increase) if the track is cold.  Do a few laps, then go to the pits and in the setup screen see what the 'PSI Hot' values get to and make adjustments up and down as necessary.  You want them to be in the 27.5 to 28 sorta range.

You can also close brake ducts if the track is cooler, which warms the tyres a bit more.

Thanks that's really helpful. Though my experience of trying to do 3 or so laps with the aggressive setup rather than safe one has been comical in the past, I am due another shot at it now.

One last thing, once you've sorted the pressures, save your setup with a name like 'Dry 28 Deg' (I use the ambient rather than track temp for this) so you know the track conditions it will work in. You can carry on working on the setup from here and eventually you can build up a range of setups for different temps. 

Alright, that's helped a lot. I had to up the TC from the aggressive default to the "someone let a toddler behind the wheel" values I'm used to, but then I could get some laps together and sort my tyres out to a place where I'm almost happy (still struggling slightly to get the fronts to balance between too cold and way too hot). On my own local attempt at duplicating the Hungary race conditions I'm at around 1'27" dead and feeling like I could find more time if I could hook up my line through the lap a little better, so that's a big improvement. Thanks again!

2 hours ago, davejm said:

@Count Buffalos Ready for the AOR league race?  Looks like we might need to fuel save as we need to take enough for the full race + full formation lap.   Although hopefully the fact I'm not an alien means the car won't be as thirsty as it can be.  Did you do the practice race?

I am I think! I qualified 33/40 with a 1:49.6. First two chicanes were pretty horrible and it was a race of attrition in the end, I finished 13th. My fuel was spot on at 108l, might put an extra litre in just to make sure tonight. I pitted just before the half way point. 

Just now, Count Buffalos said:

I am I think! I qualified 33/40 with a 1:49.6. First two chicanes were pretty horrible and it was a race of attrition in the end, I finished 13th. My fuel was spot on at 108l, might put an extra litre in just to make sure tonight. I pitted just before the half way point. 

Cool, the Ferrari EVO can only carry 105 litres and the guys in the top tier had to fuel save to get through.  The top engine map in the EVO is pretty thirsty.  I'm going to have a practice at changing it on the fly.

Game crashed for me 5 mins from the end :angry:

Absolute wreck of a race. Massive pile up on the back straight on lap somehow, probably the biggest crash I've ever seen in ACC, complete with airborne cars! Got up to 12th before the crash, someone knocked into me at parabolica, which is probably karma because I'd done to the same to someone else in quali :(

2 hours ago, davejm said:

Cool, the Ferrari EVO can only carry 105 litres and the guys in the top tier had to fuel save to get through.  The top engine map in the EVO is pretty thirsty.  I'm going to have a practice at changing it on the fly.

Good job your wheel has all the knobs!

42 minutes ago, Count Buffalos said:

I'll be interested in hearing Dave's take. He qualified in the top five and then had some sort of problem in the Ascari chicane a few laps in, he was facing perpendicular to the track when I passed him.

Had a nightmare race :(  Qualified 3rd (out of 38), but selected the wrong setup when preparing for the race; which was a super twitchy setup that I'd previously decided to ditch but somehow ended up using.  Balls.  Couldn't control the car.  Lost a few places in the first couple of laps due to being all over the place, and then the following lap I just lost it out of ascari and hit the wall.  Ended up with severe damage and I had no steering, so had to teleport to the pits which lost me 3 and a half minutes.  Had a couple more crashes and pitted 3 times in total and finished second from last.

Your game crashed towards the end?  Blimey!  That's bad luck mate.

1 minute ago, Count Buffalos said:

I’m not actually sure that I enjoyed it very much tbh! I got hot headed and took out a slower car in quali at Parabolica, which sort of set the tone really. The replay of the pile up is ridiculous! 

I didn't enjoy it at all.  I felt nervous (not sure why) and put pressure on myself to do well because I know I'm quick around Monza (I've done more laps around Monza and Spa than any other tracks). 

It was really frustrating qualifying well but then struggling to keep the car on track for the race due to my setup cockup.  And totally binning it and going to the back was really disappointing.

Just makes me realise how good the Thursday night racing is.  I've made mistakes and ruined races there, but I still enjoy it because I know you guys now and it's just a nice night of racing every week.

Yep, my usual 2 seconds off the fastest laps in practice :) I predict yet another 4th in the race.

On the plus side, I'm starting to not get quite so frustrated with my lack of overall pace. At the end of the day I just want a fun race. 

5 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

Yep, my usual 2 seconds off the fastest laps in practice :) I predict yet another 4th in the race.

On the plus side, I'm starting to not get quite so frustrated with my lack of overall pace. At the end of the day I just want a fun race. 

I predict I'll be close to you guys at the start; but then drop back to 5th or 6th and probably have a battle with @Meers :D

46 minutes ago, davejm said:

I predict I'll be close to you guys at the start; but then drop back to 5th or 6th and probably have a battle with @Meers :D

:hmm:

What are you talking about? I will be starting from pole!

In other news, just stumbled on this pic on reddit and thought it was rather appropriate:

image.png.269bb3be5818dc14251eab1c01801754.png