Jump to content

Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu


Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, milko said:

 

@davejmplease let me know if your side of those incidents matched mine!

 

Definitely no wrong doing on your part, and I didn't notice any visual lag; i.e. your car wasn't warping around or anything.  I just kept losing it :D  One of my attempted passes I just took a silly line and spun out on the curb.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, milko said:

Hey, noob question - when a couple of you guys were lapping me it felt a wee bit aggressive from my viewpoint and I was wondering if I did it wrong, I'm meant to hold my line, right? I ended up just getting the car way, way out of the line after a couple of those, it felt safer but made the car no easier to hang on to.

 

No, it was just one of those high pressure moments @milko

 

I need to watch the replay but it was definitely quite frantic, you did nothing wrong at all. I was trying to hold @SharkyOB at bay and was ahead by 0.2 seconds or so closing in on you. There's no expectation for you to get out of the way but if I was about to be lapped I'd probably try to be aware that there were quicker cars coming and blend out of the throttle or move off line to let them through.  The chicane was about the worst place it could have happened really, but your driving was fine. It also takes time to build up an awareness of what's going on I think :)

 

The split second decision I had to make was to whether to follow you through the chicane and increase the chance that I'd lose the place or sort of force myself through the small gap that was there. As it was, Sharky managed to overtake me on the next complex of corners!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers. Yeah I think with you it was coming into that chicane (I hate that chicane) and I thought maybe I’d get through that and then clear out in the straight following. And then, not! Haha. So then I just basically almost stopped til you were both through. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, milko said:

Hey, noob question - when a couple of you guys were lapping me it felt a wee bit aggressive from my viewpoint and I was wondering if I did it wrong, I'm meant to hold my line, right? I ended up just getting the car way, way out of the line after a couple of those, it felt safer but made the car no easier to hang on to.

 

To add to the above, you defo didn't do anything wrong in that situation, it was just we were battling tooth and nail for the lead at that point so I can see why it seemed a bit aggressive!  From my point of view, I saw you move to the left so I thought you were letting us through on the inside of the corner, which is a completely reasonable thing to do.  I then saw CB outbrake himself a bit, so I saw my opportunity to try to force a pass and took it!  Apologies if it was a bit marginal though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, it's good to be back.  Enjoyed that!

 

And in keeping with last year, here are the highlight reels from tonight's two races.

 

The first one is really short - clearly the server didn't think much happened!  I pulled off a quite aggressive move on @Meers and @davejm but spun coming out of the hairpin after a gentle coming together and lost both places again.  Drat!

 

 

The second race is basically the @davejm roadshow though.  Your spin exiting the last corner is shown in detail - you can see the car straddle the kerbing and this then hits the underside and around you go...

 

In the thumbnail above Dave looks to be taking the pitlane board instruction a bit too literally :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s cool @SharkyOB I was probably just rattled from how shit my car was handling by that point. And yeah once Count Buffalos was through i stayed left to let you follow. 
 

Later on @Meers went rather intimately close to my arse on the ‘bendy straight’ and I ended up just putting myself on the gravel for a bit to get clear. 
 

haha loving that Dave and me got the thumbnail in the highlights! I was just boggling at that point, every time he got near me it seemed to end in a spin, tortoise and hare stuff. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

No apologies needed, I just wanted to check if I was in the wrong really. Will just get out of the way immediately in future if my car's misbehaving like that again. Think I didn't compensate enough for the track temp dropping and went from a "quite crappy" setup to a "actually quite dangerous now" one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s a bit of an art to being lapped, and probably racing in general - it’s about being predictable in your driving. Hence if you’re being lapped, telegraphing early what you’re going to do to the driver behind, so either following the racing line or move over early. Either is fine because the driver behind knows what you’re doing. It’s when things aren’t clear when accidents happen :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, milko said:

Later on @Meers went rather intimately close to my arse on the ‘bendy straight’ and I ended up just putting myself on the gravel for a bit to get clear. 

 

Sorry about that. Us Dutchies like to be intimately close to arses. :hat:

 

To echo Buffalos above, as someone being lapped you have to constantly check your map, mirrors and your time ahead of someone behind you. It will give you time to anticipate someone lapping you. Just keep on driving as normal, and if someone's really close on your arse just wait for the next straight and veer off the line a bit whilst lifting the throttle. There's no need to park yourself in the stands or any other stunts in order to let someone past, and there's no shame in having someone stuck behind you for a bit (it's pretty clear when there's no room to overtake). As long as there's no intentional blocking, but I'm sure none of us do that here.

 

In our case, you got blue flags since the first left hairpin. And since we were on that 'bendy straight' there was room to let me slip past quickly so you didn't have to put yourself on the gravel like that. :lol: ;)

 

Just drive predictable indeed, and keep an eye on your surroundings. I use the Crew Chief app to tell me where someone is around me, as well as the radar and the proximity indicators. Better safe than sorry.

 

Oh and verbal communication. That brings me to my incident with @Valver in race 1. I was on the inside of you in the left hairpin and followed the curve tightly. But I could not warn you because I had my wheel turned (obviously) and couldn't reach the pust-to-talk button. So I assumed you were aware of my bearings.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are the season standings after 6 races:

 

image.thumb.png.ceb04ee6b3c608462be87c753226efa6.png

 

@SharkyOB still at the lead, but he has stiff competition from @SneakyNinja and @Count Buffalos who are breathing down his neck with 96 points each on a shared 2nd place! Better not make any mistakes, mate!

 

Myself and @davejm share 3rd with 79 points each, closely followed by @Valver in 4th with 74 points! @SANtoOos is 10 points behind him at 5th place, and @mrben09, @SweatyTravolta and @Speech are closely together as well, scrapping for 6th! @extremepabs has caught up with @batistutauk and are chasing @scoobysi and @willmill. @Mr Majestyk has to watch out for @milko now, who is a mere 2 points behind now. And @Mars has more points than @Thor now, who we hope will soon find his racing mojo again and join us again! :hug:

 

All very close halfway through season 3! :omg:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome, thanks @Meers!! :)

 

Here is the website I spoke about in chat:-

https://beta.thesimgrid.com/

 

25 minute races every hour...

image.thumb.png.87fa17777f2df83b5234bf6bcd9d94dc.png

 

I might join in the Monza race at 11am if there are good numbers at this time, and I'll keep an eye and report back on how populated some of the other races are; but when I've checked in the evening a few times the races have been full.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, davejm said:

Good racing guys.  I had a good first race, but nightmare second and made lots of mistakes.  But had a fun last couple of laps racing with @mrben09 so it was worth it for that fun at the end.  Good racing mate and well done for holding me off there :)  ... apologies to @extremepabs as I think I got in your way a couple of times when rejoining.  I loved racing in VR for the first time, but the couple of times I spun I felt really disorientated so was all over the place.

 

Sim source results:-

https://simsource.azurewebsites.net/results/y9ju079f0f7d?tab-=qualifying-1

https://simsource.azurewebsites.net/results/y9ju079f0f7d?tab-=race-1

https://simsource.azurewebsites.net/results/y9ju079f0f7d?tab-=qualifying-2

https://simsource.azurewebsites.net/results/y9ju079f0f7d?tab-=race-2

 

 All good mate I saw you on those so just got out of the way. Enjoyed both races but hate that chicane

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Meers said:

In our case, you got blue flags since the first left hairpin. And since we were on that 'bendy straight' there was room to let me slip past quickly so you didn't have to put yourself on the gravel like that.

 

I knew exactly where you were (VR makes it pretty easy to have some situational awareness) but you seemed so close to my back for so (relatively) long I was wondering if you were gonna pull out and around me or just expected me to veer out of the way. It's cool, was just at the end of a longish time being a challenge to stay in control. After my earlier system crash I didn't sort Discord out in time to join the second race, it was all a bit manic really.

 

Hopefully next time I can race somewhere closer to my qualifying performance. Looking forward to it!

Link to post
Share on other sites

A tale of 2 races last night.

With a drop in particpants, in the first race I ended up losing the tail of the pack, and driving around for about 15 laps on my own, which was pretty boring. And then started getting a bit silly with corners, etc "just to see". 

 

@milko I'll be honest the weaving nearly caught me out, as I thought you were lag ghosting first of all and nearly just went straight on through!

 

The second race was going the same way. UNTIL in one lap, I came across @davejm pointing the wrong way down the main straight. and half a lap later I was speedily approaching a corner to see a muddy @milko performing a 3 point turn on the apex! :) Managed to squeeze through that on the inside and then retreated back to nothingness, until a little spin on the downhill right, after the uphill longish sorta straight brought Dave into play, and then for the last 2 laps out of a total of 34 I had a race, and I think was fortunate to hold on. As I said afterwards if there was a lot more laps left, I would have just let him through, because I imagine it's a little annoying not being able to get past someone who is 3/4 secs a lap slower than you, only to find that everyone else has fucked off and you wont be catching them anytime soon, when you do finally get through. Hence why I just pulled over to let @Valver through in the first race, after a lap or so of him over my boot. 

 

 

I fully get that some may think thats not really the spirit, but in my mind, I don't want to have someone else to have no fun with the pack, just because I'm not up there. 

 

Last one. Does anyone else get a sore neck after a while? This week ,for maybe the first time in quite a while, my neck was fucking killing after every session. I wasn't using VR, just for the record. Still a little tender now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Those last two laps were really fun, @mrben09 :)  Personally speaking, I never find it annoying being behind someone slower; it just gives me a chance to enjoy some racing and figure out how best to pass.  I made a hash of that when passing @milko (hence hitting the curb and spinning) but I took more of a considered approach when racing you at the end and even though I didn't get past it was really enjoyable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, mrben09 said:

half a lap later I was speedily approaching a corner to see a muddy @milko performing a 3 point turn on the apex!

 

haha oh yeah! I saw you coming and just stopped at the outside of the turn there, you were safer than it looked, possibly, what with the way my car was pointing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, milko said:

 

haha oh yeah! I saw you coming and just stopped at the outside of the turn there, you were safer than it looked, possibly, what with the way my car was pointing. 

It was fine, plenty of space. It was just with it being a short quick approach, I was just trundling the corner and then foot down, and then WTF ! lol

 

That said, my favourite words to hear these days when racing and needing to catch up  are "yellow flag ahead"

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, milko said:

 

I knew exactly where you were (VR makes it pretty easy to have some situational awareness) but you seemed so close to my back for so (relatively) long I was wondering if you were gonna pull out and around me or just expected me to veer out of the way.

 

Ah I see. I wasn't sure if you were aware of me approaching. I did flash my lights at you a couple of times though. It wasn't safe for me to overtake you at that part of the track and with you on the racing line, hence me not making a move...until you took a dive into the gravel (which you really don't have to do, I'll just wait for a good opportunity later on). Your pace was pretty good so you weren't holding me up or anything, plus I like to swarm. ;)

 

What I always do when being lapped is to run a bit wider in corners so cars can overtake me on the inside, or lift a little on a straight off the racing line. Works really well.

 

1 hour ago, mrben09 said:

Last one. Does anyone else get a sore neck after a while? This week ,for maybe the first time in quite a while, my neck was fucking killing after every session. I wasn't using VR, just for the record. Still a little tender now.

 

I always get a sore left leg from braking. But that's because I have had a broken knee back in 2014 due to a cycling accident (got hit by a scoot mobile who didn't see me on a sunny day and hit me whilst he turned a 90° corner). There's a titanium plate in my leg along with a couple of screws (see pic below). Long stints causes it to protest a bit so I stretch my leg on the straights. I have a very comfortable racing posture otherwise in my rig. But I'm thinking of moving my pedals to the left a bit because I rarely use the clutch anymore these days.

 

image.thumb.png.d976ca4f44005157dc9c52b1d0721541.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

I joined the Sim Grid Monza race at 11am, was good fun and definitely cleaner than the public lobby races.  Finished 7th out of 14 and had a good battle with one guy in particular; and managed to get a nice overtake with a couple of laps to go.  Good stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, mrben09 said:

That must be fun at the airport scanners

 

I went to Euro Disney a couple of months after my operation (2016), and because the recent terrorist attacks on Charlie Hebdo there were scanning gates everywhere, but none of them picked it up because it's not magnetic.

 

So since my op I can now, with great joy, say that I'm a cybernetic organism - living tissue over a metal endo-skeleton. Well, partially. :D

 

10 points added to the leaderboard for the first person who gets that reference. :lol:

 

6 minutes ago, davejm said:

I joined the Sim Grid Monza race at 11am, was good fun and definitely cleaner than the public lobby races.  Finished 7th out of 14 and had a good battle with one guy in particular; and managed to get a nice overtake with a couple of laps to go.  Good stuff.

 

Sounds good! I'll give it a go too if I get the opportunity.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Meers said:

 

 

So since my op I can now, with great joy, say that I'm a cybernetic organism - living tissue over a metal endo-skeleton. Well, partially. :D

 

10 points added to the leaderboard for the first person who gets that reference. :lol:

 

 

Can you brake harder as a result?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry I missed last night fellas, really great track! 

 

@davejm thoughts on transition to VR? Downgrading to a small screen and worse wheel has been an eye opener for me in some ways. I know a lot of aliens have far from ideal gear but I personally didn't expect to keep up pace wise, so just goes to show it's not all about dishing out the cash. On the other hand, it has really magnified the things I hate about screens, I feel very claustrophobic now and it's a lot more stressful. 

 

I think VR really helps with dealing with the unexpected? Having the correct FOV is awesome and also it's huge not having to guess/imagine where certain apexes/corner exits are. But I think the main thing is having stereo vision and real depth perception, something you won't get even with the best 4k triple screen setups. I'm assuming it really helps with on track battles, like when you go offline and need to make a split second judgement or when you are gauging your distance to another car in the entry of a corner, outbraking, etc. 

 

Sure you can drive just as good on a flat screen (maybe faster?), but it feels like you're practicing skills that aren't really relatable to real racing, you're learning to read radars and arrows when in real life it's all about spatial awareness... To me it's about the experience and how real can you get, so yeah interested in your thoughts Dave as you're coming from a decent screen! Although it probably takes a few races to get used to it? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, SANtoOos said:

Sorry I missed last night fellas, really great track! 

 

@davejm thoughts on transition to VR? Downgrading to a small screen and worse wheel has been an eye opener for me in some ways. I know a lot of aliens have far from ideal gear but I personally didn't expect to keep up pace wise, so just goes to show it's not all about dishing out the cash. On the other hand, it has really magnified the things I hate about screens, I feel very claustrophobic now and it's a lot more stressful. 

 

I think VR really helps with dealing with the unexpected? Having the correct FOV is awesome and also it's huge not having to guess/imagine where certain apexes/corner exits are. But I think the main thing is having stereo vision and real depth perception, something you won't get even with the best 4k triple screen setups. I'm assuming it really helps with on track battles, like when you go offline and need to make a split second judgement or when you are gauging your distance to another car in the entry of a corner, outbraking, etc. 

 

Sure you can drive just as good on a flat screen (maybe faster?), but it feels like you're practicing skills that aren't really relatable to real racing, you're learning to read radars and arrows when in real life it's all about spatial awareness... To me it's about the experience and how real can you get, so yeah interested in your thoughts Dave as you're coming from a decent screen! Although it probably takes a few races to get used to it? 

 

It'll take some time I think.  I have mixed feelings about it at the moment.  Zandvoort was a new track for me so I dived right in and learnt it in VR from the off, and when I did a few laps on the monitor later on (after a session in VR) I couldn't even get anywhere close to the same lap times.  I've always been rubbish on the slower corners in ACC, and in VR the hairpins feel much easier to take and I feel more in control.  So I'm really enjoying the ability to see more of the track.

 

On the flip side, I did a race at Monza today and my lap times weren't any better and it felt like I was driving the circuit in exactly the same way as I did on the monitor.  Fast in the parts of the track where I know I'm strong, and just as sucky in the others.  So no real difference.

 

So yeah, time will tell.  Overall, I love the experience so far.  I'm annoyed at losing the really sharp crisp look and 100+ fps smoothness, but the immersion that VR offers is something else. 

 

I had an absolute nightmare in the second race yesterday; primarily due to the change to VR.  I was battling with some of the guys and looked up to check my virtual mirror (which is what I'm used to) only to find it not there and I got in a right flap; and I overshot the corner and off the track.  I didn't have that instinct to look at the digital mirror in the display (on the dash) or the side mirrors.  And after a spin later on I just kept making mistake after mistake and I felt really claustrophobic in the car.  It was an odd sensation and I couldn't get out of the headset quick enough by the end of it.  But I'd never spent more than 10 minutes in VR prior to the race so it was all new.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I might bung the quest 2 on this weekend and give it a go. I’d never bothered but as my ageing 970GTX seems unbothered so far (60fps solid , at 1440, with most settings at high, yeah I don’t know how either), it may tip it over the edge. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm never going back to flatscreen racing other than in the likes of open world games like GTA and more recently Cyberpunk. But for games like this and Project Cars? VR Only. The new Gran Turismo on PS5 looks lovely, but unless I can play ALL of it, multiplayer included, in PSVR, then I won't be going near it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.