Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu

36 minutes ago, Thor said:

Sorry guys, I have zero motivation to return to this. I may drop in on certain races if that's okay though?

That's a shame, but of course it'll be great to see you whenever you feel like dropping in.

27 minutes ago, Thor said:

Sorry guys, I have zero motivation to return to this. I may drop in on certain races if that's okay though?

Me too, did a quick quali trial and I think I'm out now. Enjoy the season folks.

23 hours ago, davejm said:

ATTENTION! :D

Who is up for a fun team event with driver swaps on Thursday 11th February?  (the first week after the season 3 conclusion).

My proposal is this:-

• 2.5 hour endurance running from 7:30pm to 10:00pm
  • 4 mandatory stops (for fuel or tyres), meaning 5 stints in total
  • Team mates must complete a minimum of 2 stints; so one will do 2 and one will do 3, but you can't do more than 2 stints consecutively.  Otherwise you can split up the stints how you like (for example, if one team mate can't join the game early or another can't stay on late)
  • Teams will be picked at random based on car choice.  The idea is that the first driver is picked (at random) and their team mate will be selected by choosing another driver at random that has a matching car preference.  If (after selecting the first driver in the team) no other drivers have the same car preference, the pot for the draw for their team mate will be bolstered to include the drivers that have selected that car as their second choice, then the third etc
  • The more cars you choose in your list of preferences, the more chance you have of being in a car that you're happy with.  If you don't state more than 1 or 2 cars, for example, you open yourself up to being included in a pot for any car not in that list

I realise we're halving the number of cars on track so there could be moments of lonely racing, but assuming we get a full roster interested, it feels like a fun thing to try.  The random element of the team selection could make for some interesting dynamics.

Does this sound like a fun idea or is it a silly suggestion due to the limited size of the roster?

If you're interested please state your preferred list of cars (the more the better); and your preferred choice of circuit for the race.

If we don't get almost a full compliment of the roster interested then we may need to shelve the idea, but I'd like to see if we can make this work.

Sounds fun but not sure I can commit until a bit closer to the date. Don't want to let my team mate down if it turns out I can't do it or my setup can't take those 2.5 hours of racing! 

On 05/01/2021 at 12:07, davejm said:

Who is up for a fun team event with driver swaps on Thursday 11th February?  (the first week after the season 3 conclusion).

• Team mates must complete a minimum of 2 stints; so one will do 2 and one will do 3, but you can't do more than 2 stints consecutively.  Otherwise you can split up the stints how you like (for example, if one team mate can't join the game early or another can't stay on late)
  • Teams will be picked at random based on car choice.  The idea is that the first driver is picked (at random) and their team mate will be selected by choosing another driver at random that has a matching car preference.  If (after selecting the first driver in the team) no other drivers have the same car preference, the pot for the draw for their team mate will be bolstered to include the drivers that have selected that car as their second choice, then the third etc
  • The more cars you choose in your list of preferences, the more chance you have of being in a car that you're happy with.  If you don't state more than 1 or 2 cars, for example, you open yourself up to being included in a pot for any car not in that list

I realise we're halving the number of cars on track so there could be moments of lonely racing, but assuming we get a full roster interested, it feels like a fun thing to try.  The random element of the team selection could make for some interesting dynamics.

Does this sound like a fun idea or is it a silly suggestion due to the limited size of the roster?

If you're interested please state your preferred list of cars (the more the better); and your preferred choice of circuit for the race.

If we don't get almost a full compliment of the roster interested then we may need to shelve the idea, but I'd like to see if we can make this work.

Yep, I'm up for this!  Could maybe partner with one of the other GT-R drivers, as it's like a comfortable old pair of slippers for me at this point :D

2 hours ago, Thor said:

1 hour ago, Mr Majestyk said:

Me too, did a quick quali trial and I think I'm out now. Enjoy the season folks.

Awww man, that's a shame guys. :(

@Thor, may I borrow your PC for a while? :ph34r:

55 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Yep, I'm up for this!  Could maybe partner with one of the other GT-R drivers, as it's like a comfortable old pair of slippers for me at this point :D

*swaps to Nissan*

On 05/01/2021 at 12:07, davejm said:

I was so up for this but after foolishly tapping on your underlined text, believing it to be a link to a poll, I now hate you and withdraw my support. 

I'm definitely up for doing some team based racing, sounds good. I'll unfortunately have to skip the next two weeks due to continuing issues with my arm but can't wait to get back to racing. 

Season 3 Round 4 - Zandvoort Sprint

Morning all!  Who's up for some sprint racing tonight?

Practice

• Time: TBC

Qualification 1

• Time: 20:15 until 20:25 (10 minutes)

Race 1

• Time: 20:25 until 20:50 (25 minutes)
  • No mandatory pit stop
  • Start time (in-game): 15:00

Qualification 2

• Time: 20:55 until 21:05 (10 minutes)

Race 2

• Time: 21:05 until 20:30 (25 minutes)
  • No mandatory pit stop
  • Start time (in-game): 22:00

Conditions

• 15°C average ambient temperature
  • Moderate weather variation, potential rain

Practice Timings

image.png.78afbb29504fa1980b55d1b2d8befa42.png

3 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

I was so up for this but after foolishly tapping on your underlined text, believing it to be a link to a poll, I now hate you and withdraw my support. 

I'm definitely up for doing some team based racing, sounds good. I'll unfortunately have to skip the next two weeks due to continuing issues with my arm but can't wait to get back to racing. 

Haha I'm not sure why I got so trigger happy with the differing formatting :D

I have been having hard system crashes on this during the week, I fear my CPU might be overheating but I don’t know for sure yet. Anyway will try to get in!

13 minutes ago, Meers said:

I have not been able to practice this week, so I'm going in cold tonight. :ph34r:

I've only just got my track medals at Zandvoort :D I wasn't around when we did the previous race here, so I'm going to be off the pace tonight.  Managed a relatively competitive time in my practice yesterday morning (so it seems) but don't really have a handle on the track yet.

There are two corners on the circuit which are going to be really tempting to dive-bomb as they’re late turn-ins / apexes. Can I ask that caution is given to any attempts to overtake on the slow right hander followed by the not quite so slow left hander 2/3 through the lap? Contact will be inevitable unless the car being overtaken is 100% cooperative.

Edit: turns 10 and 11.

27 minutes ago, davejm said:

I've only just got my track medals at Zandvoort :D I wasn't around when we did the previous race here, so I'm going to be off the pace tonight.  Managed a relatively competitive time in my practice yesterday morning (so it seems) but don't really have a handle on the track yet.

I know the track by heart and can drive consistently there, so I'm going to rely on my track knowledge and yeeeeaaaaars of experience tonight. :blah:

10 minutes ago, Count Buffalos said:

There are two corners ok the circuit which are going to be really tempting to dive-bomb as they’re late turn-ins / apexes. Can I ask that caution is given to any attempts to overtake on the slow right hander followed by the not quite so slow left hander 2/3 through the lap? Contact will be inevitable unless the car being overtaken is 100% cooperative.

Both corners have some nasty bumps as well just before them, which will unsettle the car massively if one's going to attempt an overtake on the inside of those corners. Be mindful indeed!

Great races! I'll post my thoughts on them tomorrow. 

I'll also update the leaderboard tomorrow as I can't reach my work's server from home (sheet is on the workstation).

Bed time! Nighty night.

Good racing guys.  I had a good first race, but nightmare second and made lots of mistakes.  But had a fun last couple of laps racing with @mrben09 so it was worth it for that fun at the end.  Good racing mate and well done for holding me off there :)  ... apologies to @extremepabs as I think I got in your way a couple of times when rejoining.  I loved racing in VR for the first time, but the couple of times I spun I felt really disorientated so was all over the place.

Sim source results:-

https://simsource.azurewebsites.net/results/y9ju079f0f7d?tab-=qualifying-1

https://simsource.azurewebsites.net/results/y9ju079f0f7d?tab-=race-1

https://simsource.azurewebsites.net/results/y9ju079f0f7d?tab-=qualifying-2

https://simsource.azurewebsites.net/results/y9ju079f0f7d?tab-=race-2

Sorry I only made the second round, family requirements.  Was late anyway but thought I'd watch a bit of the first race from the pits, and got another full system crash!

Luckily my computer held together long enough to do race 2 anyway. Not sure what's causing it now as my CPU/GPU temps never got too high during that race.

Sorry I was fishtailing around like an idiot off the exit of the first corner, just couldn't get it to grip so @mrben09 and @extremepabs that may have been alarming to be near to, sorry!

Then I passed @davejm at the side of the road and started to settle down a bit and find some control. Then Dave was coming up behind me again along with mrben! Then Dave wasn't and I'm not sure what happened but I hope it wasn't my doing. Then MrBen got through and I got to chasing. Caught up but couldn't pass on the home straight so I started to yield when you seemed to go straight through the corner so off I cheerily went. Put some decent laps in, even started to gain on @Valver and was just thinking I might possibly reel him in when, oh, it's @davejm again! This time passing me on the inside of the last corner and I yielded as it was obviously getting a bit silly... but you spun again! THEN I was driving along and it occurred to me that if there was some lag it might have been me even though from my side there was no contact and I was thinking about that a bit and lost concentration and went off on a corner and that was pretty much the end of me. No damage but the tyres were well down on pressure and it felt like I was driving on marbles. Next time I saw Dave I just got off the road out of the way before something else happened. A couple of minor spins sent me to the back of the grid where I remained, although right at the end of the race the grip seemed to have come back a tiny bit.

@davejmplease let me know if your side of those incidents matched mine!

Hey, noob question - when a couple of you guys were lapping me it felt a wee bit aggressive from my viewpoint and I was wondering if I did it wrong, I'm meant to hold my line, right? I ended up just getting the car way, way out of the line after a couple of those, it felt safer but made the car no easier to hang on to.