Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu

13 minutes ago, extremepabs said:

Hi All

I dont think I can make it tonight not feeling well sorry all. I might spectate though as I dont really want to miss it

Sorry to hear that mate.  I'll PM you the spectator password.

23 minutes ago, extremepabs said:

Hi All

I dont think I can make it tonight not feeling well sorry all. I might spectate though as I dont really want to miss it

That's unfortunate, pabs. Get well soon mate. 

On 10/12/2020 at 13:54, Mr Majestyk said:

Gonna give tonight a miss folks, feels like this is becoming a chore every Thursday and it's starting to put me off, couple of weeks break and hopefully I'll get some enthusiasm back. 

Feeling any enthusiasm creeping back in?

I was wondering if we could do with a slightly longer gap between seasons. Maybe fill the void with exhibition races allowing those who want to race every week get their fix but allow others to recharge their batteries. 

We seem to be having an increasing amount of burnout, for various reasons. 

56 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

Feeling any enthusiasm creeping back in?

I was wondering if we could do with a slightly longer gap between seasons. Maybe fill the void with exhibition races allowing those who want to race every week get their fix but allow others to recharge their batteries. 

We seem to be having an increasing amount of burnout, for various reasons. 

It's an idea, but the flip side is that rolling straight into a season keeps up the momentum.  There's a worry that if we leave it for a few weeks and people take a break, they might not bother to return.  So I don't really know what is for best in that regard.

Maybe after this season we try having a break and do some exhibition races in between?

On 16/12/2020 at 15:50, Count Buffalos said:

Cool. The hotstint times so far are here:

https://apexonline.racing/signup/8#hotstint-overview

I've done my hotstint.  Wanted to keep an average under 1:58 so I'm relatively happy, but I messed up the last couple of laps so it's not my best.  That said, I'm gonna be in the slowest tier anyway so it probably doesn't matter.

image.png.837f1a7cb28fbd7a58899a6d6a633bcb.png

Apologies in advance if this is ridiculous... But would anyone be up for some endurance stuff? Eg 2 teams race over 24 hours with drivers swapping in. 

We could maybe even raise money for a charity on here, especially if we could twitch stream a spectator feed. 

I'm thinking something fun and collaborative as a vibe rather than super competitive as I'm not sure my nerves could take it :lol:

Thanks for the race fellas, that was fun. Not sure what I did wrong off the start, I'd hit 'Drive' but then thought maybe I'd not done it right (since it was showing me all the prerace info and standings but maybe that's what it do) so I came 'back' and hit 'Drive' again and carried on, but as soon as the race session started, I was teleported. Ho hum, I was a bit scared of driving in the traffic anyway and messing one of you up so not the worst thing to happen. Must figure that out for next time.

Then I realised I'd miscalculated my fuel completely about a picosecond too late and had to stop twice, which I think put an end to having an entertaining battle with @mrben09 every now and again.  

Well done guys.  Had a couple of hairy moments tonight; @Meers put me under loads of pressure and was quicker than me during the first half.  In the latter half I was quicker and was pushing and closing the gap, but pushed a bit too hard and made some mistakes.  But really enjoyed that.

Results

https://simsource.azurewebsites.net/results/k5e807835ca3?tab-=practice

https://simsource.azurewebsites.net/results/k5e807835ca3?tab-=qualifying

https://simsource.azurewebsites.net/results/k5e807835ca3?tab-=race

Apologies for getting in anyone's way, had a few spins. Especially to @SANtoOoswho came round the first bend to find me facing the wrong way - couldn't get to the garage menu quickly enough! 

I had a great time though, a few patches of solid laps. 

Discord won't recognise my mic, so I could hear everyone but no one could hear me. Any idea why that might be?

5 minutes ago, davejm said:

Well done guys.  Had a couple of hairy moments tonight; @Meers put me under loads of pressure and was quicker than me during the first half.  In the latter half I was quicker and was pushing and closing the gap, but pushed a bit too hard and made some mistakes.  But really enjoyed that.

Mate, that was tight! Really enjoyed that. Yeah, my tyres wouln't heat up that well anymore in the 2nd stint, and I really don't like driving around on my own that long. I need someone in front of me to measure myself against! :D

Didn't feel the love tonight sadly.  Hadn't had any time to practice - real life getting in the way - so wasn't very competitive time wise, and only managed a 10th in qually.

Got tapped from behind at the hairpin on the opening lap by @mrben09 but averted the spin, and managed to rejoin in exactly the same position I'd started - so no biggie.  But my car reported rear end damage...  I stayed out and tried my best but I could feel I wasn't very quick.  I was really struggling at the Esses for grip and lost handfulls of time there each lap I think... 

I worked my way up to 7th, but on lap 25 it all went a bit wrong.    I'd been caught by a much faster @SweatyTravolta after the pitstops had resolved themselves.   By trying to drive defensively and hold him off, I got even slower and backed him up into both @Speech and @willmill   There was quite a tussle until turn 3 when I went a bit wide and got a bit of a tank slapper going on...  Speech saw the gap and went for it,  but we touched and both span.  Then just after I'd got back on track Will clattered into me and I span again.  I lost 3 places.  

The @SharkyOB incident is on lap 28 in the following replay...   glad it didnt ruin your race - but it allowed me to take a place back off Will shortly after, to eventually finish 9th.

Congrats to @SANtoOos for the win!  Here's the replay - currently Youtube is converting it to HD...

58 minutes ago, Meers said:

Aqui está a planilha atualizada. Parabéns a @SANtoOos pela vitória na corrida e volta mais rápida! :hat:

image.png.08ef8008fef4ae483cfc3c17c06c151a.png

That's perfect Portuguese @Meers! Missed you on the chat.

1 hour ago, Mars said:

Especially to @SANtoOoswho came round the first bend to fund me facing the wrong way - couldn't get to the garage menu quickly enough! 

No worries man! It happens, fright of a lifetime though, thought it was gonna be the end :lol:

Hard work with the fps loss throughout and almost lost it at the gravel towards the end when my dad entered the room to watch the final laps and I got distracted. He's well proud haha

1 hour ago, milko said:

Thanks for the race fellas, that was fun. Not sure what I did wrong off the start, I'd hit 'Drive' but then thought maybe I'd not done it right (since it was showing me all the prerace info and standings but maybe that's what it do) so I came 'back' and hit 'Drive' again and carried on, but as soon as the race session started, I was teleported. Ho hum, I was a bit scared of driving in the traffic anyway and messing one of you up so not the worst thing to happen. Must figure that out for next time.

Then I realised I'd miscalculated my fuel completely about a picosecond too late and had to stop twice, which I think put an end to having an entertaining battle with @mrben09 every now and again.  

Your overtake of me on turn 1 was a thing of amazement. Hopefully it’s in the video.

1 minute ago, mrben09 said:

Your overtake of me on turn 1 was a thing of amazement. Hopefully it’s in the video.

Oh god I meant to check in case I’d been overly aggressive on that one - I hope not! It looked like you’d gone pretty deep and I got the apex nicely for a change so I had to give it a shot but then I was scared I was going slower than you on the exit and forcing you out. Adrenaline! I think I saved a highlights reel so I should be able to check that at least. Had to stop and switch off almost as soon as the race ended, sweated absolute buckets in that VR headset, don’t think I’ve done that long a stint in it before. 

hope I can make a few more of these races, feel like I’m starting to get the hang of some aspects of it at least. 

7 hours ago, SANtoOos said:

Missed you on the chat.

Cheers mate. There's a weird thing going on with my mic (Turtle Beach Stealth 600). On the Xbox app it works fine in party chat, but Discord doesn't seem to recognise it. Or let me put it this way - it works at first (because you can all hear me) but then cuts out when more people join (that's what I suspect is the issue). But I have no idea how to fix it - rebooting Discord or the laptop doesn't help either.

Other than that, I had a great race. Qualified in 7th (in the extra time of the session, lol) and had a good start but dropped down to 8th because @Speech took my 7th place. I had a great first stint chasing him and @davejm, with @willmill and @Valver breathing down my neck in the opening laps of the race. @SneakyNinja was a bit too fast for Dave, Speech and I but we managed to stick together and pull a gap on Willmill and Valver. I managed to keep a consistent pace and eventually pulled an overtake on Speech who made me work hard for it, for which mad props! Then I went after Dave, who posed an even bigger challenge to overtake which I didn't manage to pull off in the first stint. He then made a mistake (I think) in the last chicane and went into the pits. I needed to pit as well and went in the next lap, managing to do an undercut on him.

So with 14 seconds in front of Dave now, I tried to continue with the same pace as before the stop and hoping to catch up with SneakyNinja, but my tyres wouldn't warm up properly anymore due to the drop in track and ambient temperatures. So instead of plan A I had to switch to plan B - keeping Dave at bay. With 14 seconds on him, that would be easy, right? [Schwarzenegger]WRONG![/Schwarzenegger]. In my effort to take the Schumacher S at full throttle (I had to try it but that's when I discovered the tyres were not up for it) I lost traction coming out of it and nearly spun and crashed into the barriers if it wasn't for my IMPECCABLE *cough* driving skills. I managed to save it but lost about 6 seconds allowing for Dave to catch up a bit, which he did slowly, but surely. I struggled with my tyres, the impending nightfall and the pressure of Dave creeping up on me (with only 2.5 seconds behind me at some point). But then he made a mistake and it was 6 seconds again. "Focus, Rich", I told myself as the timer went down. Dave closed the gap again and if it wasn't for his last mistake, he could have taken that 5th place.

What a race. What a track. What a game. What an amazing group of people to play against! :wub:

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Sorry for jumping out early everyone. I kept losing the back end in the race, even in the early laps. Probably should have done more testing, but in my initial test (and indeed practice) the car felt pretty planted. But for qualy and the race it felt very different. After my initial off on lap 4 or so which resulted in "light damage" (which was absolute nonsense, the car needed repair) I pitted, and figured that provided I was reasonably quick, I'd perhaps undercut a few when they pitted. But I lost the back end again (this time through the Schumacher esses - full throttle, eh @Meers? ;)) with 25 mins still left of the race that resulted in more damage. Given I wasn't likely to get any major points and that I really hate the first sector of Nürburgring, I decided to call it. The performance issues that occurred as the sun was setting didn't help either - need to recheck my settings.

Congrats on the win @SANtoOos - after letting you pass to lap me I tried hanging on to you, but you were on another level last night. :hat:

12 hours ago, Valver said:

I worked my way up to 7th, but on lap 25 it all went a bit wrong.    I'd been caught by a much faster @SweatyTravolta after the pitstops had resolved themselves.   By trying to drive defensively and hold him off, I got even slower and backed him up into both @Speech and @willmill   There was quite a tussle until turn 3 when I went a bit wide and got a bit of a tank slapper going on...  Speech saw the gap and went for it,  but we touched and both span.  Then just after I'd got back on track Will clattered into me and I span again.  I lost 3 places.  

Absolutely gutting to see you and @Speech come together like that. You managed to keep me exactly 2 seconds behind you for almost the entirety of the first 30 minutes, which was frustratingly awesome. Then, after I pitted first, it was a quiet few laps until I came along the start finish to see you 3.2 seconds ahead of me! Luckily those tyres had cooled enough during the pit that I could claim back some time and it was another solid 20 minutes of following the green beast. Super clean racing, with moments I must have been centimetres from your bumper and was looking forward to carrying on until the end. Such a shame it ended the way it did, as the pass Speech did on me was great and was a proper racing moment of a third party taking advantage of the two ahead scrapping. It was genuinely deflating and the next couple of laps I struggled to maintain the racing line as all the adrenaline drained out of my body. At one point I thought my VR tracking had messed up, until I realised that I had slumped down in my chair and was basically driving like a little old person, barely able to see over the wheel.

I had tried to setup a move on you going into T11 earlier but one of the front runners seemed to have the same idea to get around me and it ended up with me catching a glimpse of their car in the mirror and momentarily  slowing down expecting the crash, which in turn I think slowed them down ever so slightly as well as they took avoiding action.

Sunset was fine for me, apart from visibility but I was having performance dips near the start of the race. Very distracting as it'd been fine until recently, with a couple of hiccups last race as well..

Was an eventful race for me last night, was going fine at the start then spun and hit the barrier, carried on and managed to get up to 4th as everyone started to pit, then pitted and went back down to 10th. A few apologies to make, came around turn 3 to see @Valver and @Speech had spun at turn 3, managed to miss speech, but went for the same bit of road as valver, and spun him out. Also @SharkyOB (not count buffalos as I thought last night) after you overtook me, I was trying to get back passed speech and totally over-estimated my ability to stop the car in time. I saw I was about to slam into the back of you, tried to avoid it, almost made it, but managed to clip the corner of your car by about an inch.  After that the car felt terrible, but managed to limp to the end. 

55 minutes ago, Thor said:

I lost the back end again (this time through the Schumacher esses - full throttle, eh @Meers? ;))

Yeah well, it's full throttle in my Kia Rio (GT)3! :blah:

53 minutes ago, milko said:

I was getting performance dips at sunset too, I wonder if we can figure out a setting to cure that. 

Do what I do: set everything to low. :lol:

:facepalm:

I've got a 3080 in here, it feels like sacrilege to drop anything from 'ultra'! There must be something about how the low sun rays are being calculated or something. To be honest the dips I'm getting don't bother me hugely, it's more like I just notice them a bit rather than be actually put off. 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Congrats on the win @SANtoOos - after letting you pass to lap me I tried hanging on to you, but you were on another level last night. :hat:

Cheers man, thanks for being a gentleman with the blue flags. Good to have you back on the track! There must have been some virtual rain before quali, deffo noticed a grip change, I spun the car twice there which I didn't do all week in practice. Wish the game had a way to tell you if there was any rain between sessions, but it's kinda cool going blind into it and trying to figure it out I suppose. 

2 hours ago, Meers said:

Cheers mate. There's a weird thing going on with my mic (Turtle Beach Stealth 600). On the Xbox app it works fine in party chat, but Discord doesn't seem to recognise it. Or let me put it this way - it works at first (because you can all hear me) but then cuts out when more people join (that's what I suspect is the issue). But I have no idea how to fix it - rebooting Discord or the laptop doesn't help either.

Other than that, I had a great race. Qualified in 7th (in the extra time of the session, lol) and had a good start but dropped down to 8th because @Speech took my 7th place. I had a great first stint chasing him and @davejm, with @willmill and @Valver breathing down my neck in the opening laps of the race. @SneakyNinja was a bit too fast for Dave, Speech and I but we managed to stick together and pull a gap on Willmill and Valver. I managed to keep a consistent pace and eventually pulled an overtake on Speech who made me work hard for it, for which mad props! Then I went after Dave, who posed an even bigger challenge to overtake which I didn't manage to pull off in the first stint. He then made a mistake (I think) in the last chicane and went into the pits. I needed to pit as well and went in the next lap, managing to do an undercut on him.

So with 14 seconds in front of Dave now, I tried to continue with the same pace as before the stop and hoping to catch up with SneakyNinja, but my tyres wouldn't warm up properly anymore due to the drop in track and ambient temperatures. So instead of plan A I had to switch to plan B - keeping Dave at bay. With 14 seconds on him, that would be easy, right? [Schwarzenegger]WRONG![/Schwarzenegger]. In my effort to take the Schumacher S at full throttle (I had to try it but that's when I discovered the tyres were not up for it) I lost traction coming out of it and nearly spun and crashed into the barriers if it wasn't for my IMPECCABLE *cough* driving skills. I managed to save it but lost about 6 seconds allowing for Dave to catch up a bit, which he did slowly, but surely. I struggled with my tyres, the impending nightfall and the pressure of Dave creeping up on me (with only 2.5 seconds behind me at some point). But then he made a mistake and it was 6 seconds again. "Focus, Rich", I told myself as the timer went down. Dave closed the gap again and if it wasn't for his last mistake, he could have taken that 5th place.

What a race. What a track. What a game. What an amazing group of people to play against! :wub:

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

I had the same issues with Discord forgetting about my mic (in Quest headset). Only thing I found to work was using another USB mic and forgetting about the headset one.

Looking at the map during the race I could see you and @davejm tussleing, and was waiting for you to close the gap. Luckily I remembered to add some PSI to the new tyre set but they were still super slippery by the end.

And completely agree with your sentiments about the great group of people. Last night felt like a proper get together. Especially with the recently joined guys getting involved. Can't quite say why or how, but it all felt 'right'. 

Merry Christmas all & see you on track !