Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu

Thanks guys, will update the poster by tomorrow!

@davejm Was chatting to Sharky on Discord about custom player liveries, he was saying they can cause server issues, have you tried using them before? I would love to design one myself, but no biggie if it causes issues. There was a comment on a YouTube video saying if you create one that is very large and high resolution and full of decals/sponsors that can slow things down, so I can keep it simple. 

It's a bit of a pain as everyone who'd like to see my livery would have to copy and paste the file I create onto the ACC customs folder, but I wouldn't force anyone to use it! Although I might send @Valver a box of chocolates so it looks nice on replays :lol: 

Anyways, no big detail if not, just did a test to see if it works and managed to bling my Lexus to death :blink2: (very much work in progress)

1172596375_lexusbling.thumb.jpg.dacce1f7430f1c28c4e60538636a7495.jpg

1 minute ago, Count Buffalos said:

I don't understand how they work. I've definitely been in public servers where other cars have had custom liveries?

There's custom liveries you can design in the game, which will always appear for everyone in online lobbies, but obvs are quite restrictive in what you can do. 

The other way to do it is to get the template of the car and design completely customised liveries in image editing software (the type you can download from Race Department). Those are the ones that everyone would need on their machines if they wanted to see one used by another racer. They are also the ones that can apparently cause issues on the server.

9 minutes ago, Count Buffalos said:

Yeah, I get that. But presumably the car with the GT decal on it at the Spa race we did a couple of weeks ago was done in editing software? 

Yeah weird didn't think that was possible.

In "theory" there's nothing different from a fully custom livery than to one done with the in-game editor, or a pre-loaded team livery. All you do is edit an already exiting text file and 2 PNG files in the ACC custom folder. In theory. 

If your computer doesn't have those edited custom files, the car will show a standard black colour on multiplayer. I imagine you would have seen my Lexus as black today, even though in my game it was gold.

But size of the PNGs can definitely be an issue. The gold bling PNG I created for the Lexus is only 50kb, however as soon as you add more colours and textures, the file quickly grows into many MBs and I can see how the game would struggle with a very complex livery.  

48 minutes ago, SANtoOos said:

Thanks guys, will update the poster by tomorrow!

@davejm Was chatting to Sharky on Discord about custom player liveries, he was saying they can cause server issues, have you tried using them before? I would love to design one myself, but no biggie if it causes issues. There was a comment on a YouTube video saying if you create one that is very large and high resolution and full of decals/sponsors that can slow things down, so I can keep it simple. 

It's a bit of a pain as everyone who'd like to see my livery would have to copy and paste the file I create onto the ACC customs folder, but I wouldn't force anyone to use it! Although I might send @Valver a box of chocolates so it looks nice on replays :lol: 

Anyways, no big detail if not, just did a test to see if it works and managed to bling my Lexus to death :blink2: (very much work in progress)

1172596375_lexusbling.thumb.jpg.dacce1f7430f1c28c4e60538636a7495.jpg

86268f129c07699557400d50d1f24bdb.jpg

16 minutes ago, Count Buffalos said:

Yeah, I get that. But presumably the car with the GT decal on it at the Spa race we did a couple of weeks ago was done in editing software? Although it could have been an official team livery already in the game I suppose. 

Ah, sorry mate. Yeah, would've been a standard livery I reckon. 

It causes massive freeze spikes when a player with a custom livery joins the server.  The server freezes when people join anyway, but it's a lot worse with custom (not in-game) liveries.

I don't think it's really an issue as long as you always join the server before qualifying starts (which is a rule that leagues that allow custom non in-game liveries always enforce).

So no objections from me.  Can always give it a go and see how bad the freezing is?

8 minutes ago, davejm said:

It causes massive freeze spikes when a player with a custom livery joins the server.  The server freezes when people join anyway, but it's a lot worse with custom (not in-game) liveries.

I don't think it's really an issue as long as you always join the server before qualifying starts (which is a rule that leagues that allow custom non in-game liveries always enforce).

So no objections from me.  Can always give it a go and see how bad the freezing is?

dave1.jpg

dave2.jpg

dave3.jpg

4 minutes ago, davejm said:

Haha that's amazing!  (Love you too!) ;)

Thanks for that man! Yeah if everyone is cool with it I might give it a go. Happy joining in pre quali. Worst case scenario if my Internet goes down I can make sure not to rejoin the server during races/quali, or rejoin with a non custom livery. 

That's quite a special case of bromance you two have going on there. :lol:

Man, all this talk about custom liveries and causing issues made me think about how far ahead of its time Forza Motorsport was with their livery editor. :blah:

Cheers. Still 0.5 of a second off of @SANtoOos' time for now (but it's still early days), but I'm very happy with it. 4th lap out of 9 in that stint, should hopefully be good for quali as I can churn out consistently low 1:56's. :)

Great track though. High speed with plenty of technical sections. Should be a good race. :D

1 hour ago, davejm said:

image.png.ff53224cd19eadf6b0991b4478d99d10.png

Feeling reasonably happy with my pace now (that track guide video @SANtoOos posted was really useful), the laptime in Dave's post was set in the dead of night and it's quicker than my previous daytime lap.  I'll be having another go later if I can drag myself away from RaceRoom, hopefully it'll be daytime on the server!