Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu @ 19:00 - Paul Ricard Dec 10

Sorry fellas, after my spin there was a touch of damage and the car felt like arse. Understeered horribly. There were Willmill and Valver ahead having a good battle, but I couldn't catch them. So I pitted early, and the car felt a little better ... but not much if I'm honest. Then santoos and I collided and that was it, I'd had enough. :(

FFS.

My Quest VR headset just died on me. Looks like despite always being plugged into the PC, today it decided it wasn't going to charge or use USB power. Glad it waited until 50 odd minutes into a 1hr race :mad:

It's now plugged into the wall and having a good hard think about it's life choices whilst I'm off for a glass (or two) of wine.

Good racing everyone. (Not you; Quest. Bad Quest! In your bed!)

33 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

FFS.

My Quest VR headset just died on me. Looks like despite always being plugged into the PC, today it decided it wasn't going to charge or use USB power. Glad it waited until 50 odd minutes into a 1hr race :mad:

It's now plugged into the wall and having a good hard think about it's life choices whilst I'm off for a glass (or two) of wine.

Good racing everyone. (Not you; Quest. Bad Quest! In your bed!)

Ah, man that's so shit :( On a positive note, I hope tonight has proved to you that you've got really good pace! You and Dave were both really on it at the start.

4 minutes ago, davejm said:

@Meers I tested out my new Excel install :D

Updated leaderboard and points for today's race...

image.png.5aa2f862962fa353966da7ec07f7ad67.png

It's getting tense! I'm sure I did the right thing pitting at the end of the race, I might have just made it over the line but I'd rather get the points for 5th than nothing at all. 

OMG - what a race.  My most exciting yet.

I got a decent start and gained two places, but then drifted wide losing all the places I'd just made.  Doh. :doh:

I then had a great back and forth with @willmill prior to pitting at around half distance, and then after that @SweatyTravolta and I duelled for the rest of the race. 

We must have swapped positions about ten times.  It was amazing!  I was faster through the last sector and set up loads of passes, but then generally out-braked myself somewhere and he got back through.  And the process would then repeat next lap!  I think we maybe dinked wingmirrors once or twice but we managed not to have a big accident like last last week.

Dude you totally earned that 9th place!  Great driving!! :hat:

Replay vid coming soon...

What a weird race! It started badly for me by cutting up @SharkyOB at Copse, I just had brain fade and assumed he'd braked before me because he was on the inside. I felt bad about it, sorry dude - you'd made a great move into Luffield to line up the overtake too. 

With an eye on the weather, I'd put over 3/4 race fuel in at the start in case I had to pit and change tyres. That didn't happen but it meant that my mandatory stop was quite quick and I managed to come out ahead of @scoobysi and held him off as my tyres got back to temperature. He was definitely quicker than me but I managed to keep him behind for a few laps, perhaps in part due to the Aston's pull out of mid and high speed corners. However, he was much quicker than me in the new infield part of the track. I went defensive and took a tight line into Village just as he was recovering back on to the track after overcooking it at Farm. He knocked me into a spin and down to 3rd position with SharkyOB taking the lead.

However, in another weird twist, SharkyOB had to splash and dash after some radio talk about scoobysi letting me by. He did so on the back straight of the last lap and I got my first win. It's not how I would wanted to have done it but I appreciated the gesture scoobysi :)

Congrats @Count Buffalos

My race was a comedy of errors, car felt good, got a bit too confident and took too much curb, spun and got damage. Tyres then felt weird. Stopped at the pits fuelled up to the end, fixed the damage and changed tyres, but it was my first time running so much fuel in ACC, car was a handful and I spun again flat spotting my tyres. Into the pits again, at the last moment I noticed I was about to stick on wets as it was setup as strategy no.2 , changed to strat 1 because it had the correct pressures but didn't have time to change to a new set of tyres DOH :doh: I mean it all happened so fast I didn't even realise what happened. So basically I think I put on the original set which was already flat spotted, but I didn't know how bad it was until I got up to speed, car was uncontrollable. I saw a car coming in the mini map very fast (turned out to be @Thor) but I was already going too fast, I tried to slow down, break and turn but the car didn't respond at all. My sincere apologies Thor, had you arrived a corner later I would have realised the car was undrivable by then. So much was going on and my brain couldn't deal with it, felt like an idiot! So then another slow lap back to the pits and finally a fresh set and a bit of normality and pace restored but it was a lonely race from then on. 

I had spins in races before but always at much slower speeds. Tonight both spins were in really fast corners, didn't realise the tyres could get so badly flat spotted, the vibrations were mad. 

25 minutes ago, Count Buffalos said:

In case there’s now a trend of putting lots of fuel in at the start of a race, is there an option to set a pit window @davejm? If there is, it might be worth a discussion I guess :)

We ran with pit windows during the early practice races.  I think we switched as there seemed to be a consensus for scrapping it, in favour of the potential for different strategies.  With a pit window you just get everyone pitting at the same time which seemed less interesting from what I remember.

This should render in HD if you give it a few more minutes....  so long as someone puts more coal in Youtube's video converter!

It's the non points scoring exhibition at Misano next week - we will all be in 'Lamborghini Huracan Super Trofeo EVO's

Should be fun.  Sprint race format...

Edited by Valver
edited to swap to a video *with* shadows
59 minutes ago, Count Buffalos said:

In case there’s now a trend of putting lots of fuel in at the start of a race, is there an option to set a pit window @davejm? If there is, it might be worth a discussion I guess :)

I think it’s pretty cool that the two different strategies had us virtually side by side on track after your stop, so not sure I’d want to change it. In hindsight I took it too easy when I had a 12 sec lead, I should have known fuel was playing a part and pushed instead of trying to maintain the gap and that lead to a mistake where I nearly spun and lost 5 secs. The Aston was quick on the straight too, I thought I had you down hanger straight on that first lap after your pit but you just came back.

Those laps where I was chasing you made the race for me, trying to get past while watching @SharkyOB closing in fast, all of us in different cars, very tense, I was driving on (past :() the limit and I’m annoyed I clipped you. My tactic was to pressure you to try and make you buckle, miss a braking point by being on your bumper as I knew I probably wouldn’t get you down a straight, unfortunately it was me that buckled.

Such a shame for @SANtoOos, I hadn’t really factored in being in the lead at the start, hence why I fuelled a bit lower. hoping to perhaps put a move on before the tyres warmed up but I just seemed to get a better start, I took it quite easy and wide round T1 just trying to avoid a collision and was sure @SANtoOos would come out in front but and I think maybe he got unsettled over the inside kerb. Commiserations to @Thor too, I expected a tough battle with you so it’s a shame you had an incident so early.

9 hours ago, Valver said:

OMG - what a race.  My most exciting yet.

I got a decent start and gained two places, but then drifted wide losing all the places I'd just made.  Doh. :doh:

I then had a great back and forth with @willmill prior to pitting at around half distance, and then after that @SweatyTravolta and I duelled for the rest of the race. 

We must have swapped positions about ten times.  It was amazing!  I was faster through the last sector and set up loads of passes, but then generally out-braked myself somewhere and he got back through.  And the process would then repeat next lap!  I think we maybe dinked wingmirrors once or twice but we managed not to have a big accident like last last week.

Dude you totally earned that 9th place!  Great driving!! :hat:

Replay vid coming soon...

My mouth was so dry after the race, I think I forgot to breathe for much of it.

I was so engaged in a first stint battle with @mrben09 that I almost ran out of fuel. Even when I got ahead he was so much quicker than me and reeled me in straight away. Then we seemed to lose each other in the pits and I was about 20 seconds up after exiting. That fuel efficiency of the Ferrari really does save time during the stop. Checked the timing boards to see @Valver just over 2 seconds behind me, did some neck stretches and settled in for another half of racing.

It was fascinating to see the different segments we were quicker than each other on and how they let us constantly catch up to try and set up the overtake. Probably the first race I've had the opportunity to properly think about that stuff. The back and forward was immense, with the only brown trouser time coming when @Count Buffalos and @scoobysi came through fighting whilst we were in the thick of it. Thank god Silverstone is so wide! I'll not hear a bad word against the track.

1584552239_Screenshot2020-10-23074343.thumb.png.e3a766fbf0a389726699b430e487d701.png

I am genuinely shocked we all made it through.

@Valver Have you tried bumping up the replay quality?  It's done through the standard game settings menu (not video settings) and there's only a couple of settings for it.  I think if you stick it on high you'll get shadows on the cars.

8 hours ago, davejm said:

@Meers I tested out my new Excel install :D

Updated leaderboard and points for today's race...

image.png.5aa2f862962fa353966da7ec07f7ad67.png

Excellent! :D

Oh! I'm still in the battle for the top 5 even after tonight's debacle. :o

My pace was pretty good last night. I chased @batistutauk for a while in 8th position in the first stint, until I had a huge wipeout in Copse when I tried a different line and hit the grass with my right wheels. Lost 12 seconds because my engine cut off, rejoined in 9th behind @willmill and before @ValverI think.

Later I came in to pit, but when entering the pit lane my screen froze for a good second or 2 which made me miss the point where I should have pressed the pit limiter button. Besides that, someone had knocked over the 50km/h sign so I was confused where the line was. Cue a 30 second pit speeding penalty. 30 fucking seconds! :quote:

So I took the penalty and rejoined the race in 12th, just behind @SneakyNinja. Surprisingly, my pace was even better in the 2nd stint and we had a great scrap together. Of course with me being in 12th and him being in 4th, I made sure I didn't balls it up. But then, in turn 13 (Becketts) he suddenly slowed down and I could just barely dodge him, preventing a full-on slam in his backside and only limiting the damage with a slight tap. That caused @Mr Majestyk and @davejm to overtake me. I managed to latch on and breathe down Dave's neck until the end of the race, proving to myself that I do have the pace to keep up with the pack! :)

Had a good laugh at myself chasing down @SweatyTravolta not realising they hadn't had a pit stop. Took the inside line down the straight to Brooklands and realise there was absolutely no grip for braking and promptly went straight on. 10 seconds later they pulled into the pitlane :doh:

Must have scrubbed my tyres early on in the first stint as was losing 1 to 2s a lap after about 10 mins, my second stint was much better for tyre wear though. 

Does anyone else find themselves unable to look at the leaderboard / laptimes without losing concentration? I've even got my steam friends list set to offline as the amount of times I see "x is now playing" and promptly miss a braking point is too many!

Anyway for me it was a great race, incident free and my SA is now 99, *achievement unlocked* (if this game had cheevos).

I can’t do anything else at all whilst I’m driving! Simple fuel calculations are beyond me. Even finding the push to talk button proved difficult - I was apologising to SharkyOB and trying to explain myself re: the Copse incident without having actually pushed the button :huh:

21 minutes ago, Mr Majestyk said:

Anyway for me it was a great race, incident free and my SA is now 99, *achievement unlocked* (if this game had cheevos).

You were so quick last night, and I'd lost all grip by the end of the race so I was easy pickings :D

My SA rating is up to 90 now, and RC at 75 (which seems to go up VERY gradually).   My consistency and car control fluctuate a lot depending on the track, but I seem to keep them in the high 80s now for both which is good...

image.png.b3e6cbd7477fd91f1b86eaddef550770.png

50 minutes ago, Meers said:

So I took the penalty and rejoined the race in 12th, just behind @SneakyNinja. Surprisingly, my pace was even better in the 2nd stint and we had a great scrap together. Of course with me being in 12th and him being in 4th, I made sure I didn't balls it up. But then, in turn 13 (Becketts) he suddenly slowed down and I could just barely dodge him, preventing a full-on slam in his backside and only limiting the damage with a slight tap. That caused @Mr Majestyk and @davejm to overtake me. I managed to latch on and breathe down Dave's neck until the end of the race, proving to myself that I do have the pace to keep up with the pack! :)

Crap, sorry dude. Didn't mean to cause any problems for anyone. My headset just cut out and my instinct was to slow down. Then I felt via the force feedback that I was off track and thought I'd be stopping out of the way.

• scoobysi changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu @ 19:00 - Paul Ricard Dec 10