Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu @ 19:00 - Paul Ricard Dec 10

42 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

The start of race 2 when it was getting dark almost killed my PC!!

Go figure. And your computer isn't even held together with Scotch tape, mud and tooth picks, like mine.

I just can't go any faster. I've got a great setup now (been tinkering last night) and the car feels super stable and fast, but looking at those times and being almost a second off the top 5 makes me question my abilities. :(

I just don't understand where I'm losing time. Everything's in the green on my lap. Tyre pressures and temperatures are optimal. I hate Silverstone! :mad:

22 minutes ago, Meers said:

I just can't go any faster. I've got a great setup now (been tinkering last night) and the car feels super stable and fast, but looking at those times and being almost a second off the top 5 makes me question my abilities. :(

I just don't understand where I'm losing time. Everything's in the green on my lap. Tyre pressures and temperatures are optimal. I hate Silverstone! :mad:

There's honestly no point bashing yourself over the head about practice times!  Last week I was a second off @SANtoOos (and behind some others as well) in practice, but I was only just behind in qualy and we were basically on the same pace in the race.  As long as you've got a setup you're happy with that allows you to drive at your pace consistently for an hour you should be ok in the race.  Also, long practice sessions where you're chasing lap times are generally not good for the soul!!

1 hour ago, Meers said:

Dont sweat it , you will be fine, I took 3 seconds off my time and dropped a place in the rankings !

20 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

There's honestly no point bashing yourself over the head about practice times!  Last week I was a second off @SANtoOos (and behind some others as well) in practice, but I was only just behind in qualy and we were basically on the same pace in the race.  As long as you've got a setup you're happy with that allows you to drive at your pace consistently for an hour you should be ok in the race.  Also, long practice sessions where you're chasing lap times are generally not good for the soul!!

Too late, bashing over the head has already commenced;)

You're right I suppose, as I've told @davejm - I'm not a time trialist despite years of racing game experience.  I'll save my soul for the race then, more my cup of tea.

*grumble*

10 minutes ago, Meers said:

Too late, bashing over the head has already commenced;)

You're right I suppose, as I've told @davejm - I'm not a time trialist despite years of racing game experience.  I'll save my soul for the race then, more my cup of tea.

*grumble*

Yeah my main challenge atm is to carry practise performance into the race, you end up driving differently at the race, in the heat of the moment, than when you're alone on track. If the car feels fast and stable you're sorted man :)

11 minutes ago, SANtoOos said:

Yeah my main challenge atm is to carry practise performance into the race, you end up driving differently at the race, in the heat of the moment, than when you're alone on track. If the car feels fast and stable you're sorted man :)

Then I'm sorted hahaha. Still, I'd love to see your hotlap just for reference. :D

And I don't really hate Silverstone, it's just so...featureless.

48 minutes ago, Meers said:

Then I'm sorted hahaha. Still, I'd love to see your hotlap just for reference. :D

And I don't really hate Silverstone, it's just so...featureless.

(in fact what I'm doing wrong is trying to carry practise pace into the race, don't need to do that :lol:

With Silverstone the hardest thing for me is tracking the turning in points and apexes, hard to do on a flat screen cause the track is so wide... Could it be a field of view related thing? 

Edit: actually key with Silverstone is carrying speed into the corners, so when I watch aliens on YouTube it doesn't actually look too different from what I'm doing in so far as lines, but they are scrubbing way less speed in the braking zones and apexes and just going faster through the corners, so might be worth trying some of that as well? 

1 hour ago, SANtoOos said:

Edit: actually key with Silverstone is carrying speed into the corners, so when I watch aliens on YouTube it doesn't actually look too different from what I'm doing, but they are scrubbing way less speed in the braking zones and apexes and just going faster, so might be worth trying some of that as well? 

I think that’s they key point, what led me to a better lap was watching a Jardier video, I think he was driving the Aston AMG but he never dropped below 2nd gear, this allowed me to carry more speed.

In the end I think it comes down to practice (or number of laps) though, my best tracks by far are Monza and Brands as I’ve done far more laps round those. The one thing I do though is I don’t look at my lap times if I’m doing a low fuel run, so that I’m not chasing the lap (which is when I’ll overcook a braking zone etc.), I knew I was on a good lap as I could see green sectors, I thought it might be a 1:59.3/4 to challenge @Count Buffalos and @Thor so was very surprised to see a 1:58.6, my best ever lap at Silverstone in ACC by a country mile.

1 hour ago, SANtoOos said:

With Silverstone the hardest thing for me is tracking the turning in points and apexes, hard to do on a flat screen cause the track is so wide... Could it be a field of view related thing? 

It really comes down to having a correct FoV. I used to be in the 'you've got to have both side mirrors in view' camp, but when I properly started sim racing on PC, I have firmly changed my stance on the subject. Having my 55" screen 80cm in front of me, I'm using a calculated FoV of 46° which gives me an excellent view of the track in front and a great sense of speed whilst still seeing plenty of the cockpit. And the in-game head movement helps me to see through corners which makes it less of a tunnel-vision experience.

All that and I'm still "driving like a grandma". :lol:

37 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

I think that’s they key point, what led me to a better lap was watching a Jardier video, I think he was driving the Aston but he never dropped below 2nd gear, this allowed me to carry more speed.

In the end I think it comes down to practice (or number of laps) though, my best tracks by far are Monza and Brands as I’ve done far more laps round those. 

Never below 2nd? That must depend on the car too, but I'll give it a go.

Yeah, Silverstone isn't one of my favourite tracks so that may explain the lack of pace. Can't wait for the race though!

At Silverstone I definitely don't drop below 2nd in the Merc, to be honest I never drop below 2nd on most tracks other than really tight hairpins or chicanes, turn 1 at Monza for example.

Looking at the time I'm losing time through sector 1 quite a bit. I'm struggling with mid corner understeer in Copse, and Maggots and Beckets. Interestingly I'm pretty decent at Stowe.

5 minutes ago, Meers said:

Never below 2nd? That must depend on the car too, but I'll give it a go.

Definitely, I think what it does for me is helps me carry more speed in and gives me better traction on the way out.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

At Silverstone I definitely don't drop below 2nd in the Merc, to be honest I never drop below 2nd on most tracks other than really tight hairpins or chicanes, turn 1 at Monza for example.

Looking at the time I'm losing time through sector 1 quite a bit. I'm struggling with mid corner understeer in Copse, and Maggots and Beckets. Interestingly I'm pretty decent at Stowe.

Stowe is the corner where I lose the most time for some reason (judging from the lap delta) and I can't put my finger on why. Braking as late as possible, shift down to 3rd and cling to the kerbs whilst carrying as much speed as possible through it doesn't seem too shit of a line.

2 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

Definitely, I think what it does for me is helps me carry more speed in and gives me better traction on the way out.

I'm using the 1st gear to engine brake around Vale and Arena, and to accelerate out of it again quickly in the Ferrari. Seems to work for me.

22 minutes ago, davejm said:

The cars have different gear ratios remember.  Ferrari calls for 1st gear more than other cars IIRC.

I didn’t forget :D, 1st gear seemed natural in the Lambo too (Vale and The Loop). All you can do is try these things.

15 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

I didn’t forget :D, 1st gear seemed natural in the Lambo too (Vale and The Loop). All you can do is try these things.

My comment was meant more for @Meers who is a fellow Ferrari connoisseur.  Basically endorsing his use of 1st  :D

@scoobysi any chance of a share of your setup for lambo? I really dont know where you make the time up :-D

Finding the car going very skittish after a couple of laps, and have tyres all balanced to 27.5 - if it's a bit cheeky, I'd be happy to try it after the race.

18 minutes ago, davejm said:

My comment was meant more for @Meers who is a fellow Ferrari connoisseur.  Basically endorsing his use of 1st  :D

:hat: Muchos graçias, compadre. So I wasn't doing it wrong then! :D

1 hour ago, Mr Majestyk said:

@scoobysi any chance of a share of your setup for lambo? I really dont know where you make the time up :-D

Finding the car going very skittish after a couple of laps, and have tyres all balanced to 27.5 - if it's a bit cheeky, I'd be happy to try it after the race.

Sure, there’s nothing too clever with my setup, Aggressive, Tyres F 28 R 27.8 Brake Pads 1 Brake Ducts 2 and Rear Ride Height + 2 clicks. The change to the right height was key for me to make the front end more pointy.

• scoobysi changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione - PC Race Night Thu @ 19:00 - Paul Ricard Dec 10