Assetto Corsa Competizione | Next Thursday: Zolder Sprint

davejm

1 minute ago, extremepabs said:

Yes I have AC too but what mods do I need?

We won't know what mods simracing.gp supports until later in the week.  If enough people want to do a practice AC race (or races) next week we can take the discussion to that game thread (and we can decide on an event, which mods to use etc).

RE: simracing.gp I've got my reservations about whether switching to the platform is a good idea.  A few reasons stand-out:-

• You have to race with your real name.  You can have it show as your first name and the first letter of your surname; but we wouldn't be able to race with our forum names.  This doesn't bother me too much, but it may for some.  I like being able to identify users here and in-game though.  So it'd be a shame to lose that.
  • No access to results files.  They want you to use the platform's features for results tracking; but I'm skeptical that the stats/tracking are as feature rich as some of the third party apps and websites available (simsource, ACC results tracker etc).
  • I don't think there's a way to have a looping practice session.  You have to create specific events with a start time; and although we could create practice events each night I don't think the servers get created until at least 4 people register.  So that wouldn't work.

... but lets see what it's like.  One of the benefits I can see if we do switch to the platform would be the ability to recruit new members in a more visible way.  And I'm thinking of creating a dedicated server anyway (for Plex primarily) so I could host an ACC server on there for looping practice sessions.

I've got AC in whatever the 'comes with everything, ultimate probably' edition is. Barely touched it though, I installed the content manager thingy too but got a bit lost after that and ACC came along. Also, I'm away next week as well it looks like. If that's the break then I'm in luck.

2 hours ago, davejm said:

Gonna sit it out this week :(  And next week I'm on holiday (which is a mid-season break week anyway).

Hopefully I'm fighting fit when I return.

@SharkyOB and @Meers you're server admins so you can forward the practice session on to qualifying at the appropriate time.

How many of us have Assetto Corsa with the DLC?

Get well soon Dave. As a former knee troubles sufferer, I know how much it sucks. Give it some time and let it heal properly. 

Cheers for the admin rights. We'll sort it out for you.

I have my vasectomy come Friday so I won't be doing anything in the days after. 😓

Back to the topic of Thursday's race... details below.

For the benefit of the new guys; the GT3 Endurance races are 60 minutes long with 1 mandatory pitstop (for fuel and/or tyres) with a full formation lap.

image.png.3f8607cb8d3f7f79791d9ee42c103fe6.png

21 hours ago, davejm said:

RE: simracing.gp I've got my reservations about whether switching to the platform is a good idea.  A few reasons stand-out:-

• You have to race with your real name.  You can have it show as your first name and the first letter of your surname; but we wouldn't be able to race with our forum names.  This doesn't bother me too much, but it may for some.  I like being able to identify users here and in-game though.  So it'd be a shame to lose that.
  • No access to results files.  They want you to use the platform's features for results tracking; but I'm skeptical that the stats/tracking are as feature rich as some of the third party apps and websites available (simsource, ACC results tracker etc).
  • I don't think there's a way to have a looping practice session.  You have to create specific events with a start time; and although we could create practice events each night I don't think the servers get created until at least 4 people register.  So that wouldn't work.

... but lets see what it's like.  One of the benefits I can see if we do switch to the platform would be the ability to recruit new members in a more visible way.  And I'm thinking of creating a dedicated server anyway (for Plex primarily) so I could host an ACC server on there for looping practice sessions.

• Not really an issue with me either. My forum name is a slightly altered version of my real surname anyway, so yeah.
  • This is a bigger downside if true. I guess we only find out after being on board, or will you find out come Thursday?
  • That wouldn't work at all indeed. Hopefully there's some flexibilty with that.

28 minutes ago, mrben09 said:

@MeersTold you it was a good time!

You did mate, cheers! I was under the assumption that the top guys would have gone a bit faster in the mean time as well. Still a couple of days to go though.

Have you been able to cut those kerbs a bit more?

3 hours ago, Meers said:

Less than a second from #1? Result! :D

Now to stay consistent for an hour.

Unfortunately we're missing our resident alien @Erik this week so have to prolly reduce the real #1 time by another sec at least 😅 👽

1 hour ago, texlex45 said:

Unfortunately we're missing our resident alien @Erik this week so have to prolly reduce the real #1 time by another sec at least 😅 👽

Yeah good point. But still, pretty happy regardless! 😅

I've decided to not worry too much about my raw pace. It only leads to frustration and angst and really ruins the whole experience for me.

I love the wheel-to-wheel racing and once in the heat of battle it really doesn't matter if it's for 1st place or 14th.

Instead I'm going to carry on focusing on consistency. But now you sods are all improving and making fewer mistakes, I'm not capitalising on that so much! :) 

what's your laptime then, @SneakyNinja? Usually you say something like this just before qualifying third or better on the grid!

I seem to be getting more consistent but slower, going by my latest practice session. That's not quite what I was looking for.

21 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

I've decided to not worry too much about my raw pace. It only leads to frustration and angst and really ruins the whole experience for me.

I love the wheel-to-wheel racing and once in the heat of battle it really doesn't matter if it's for 1st place or 14th.

Instead I'm going to carry on focusing on consistency. But now you sods are all improving and making fewer mistakes, I'm not capitalising on that so much! :) 

Good call. I try to go as fast as I possibly can, but I've also given up expecting myself to sit amongst the frontrunners. Instead of wanting to win races I want to have exciting, respectful battles with the guys around me and have fun in general. And you are still bloody fast as far as I'm concerned (faster than me at least). I really enjoyed racing you and Valver last Thursday at Imola...but you were too fast for me. And eventually Santos and Milko were too fast for me as well at the end of the race. But I had a blast trying to keep them off my back that night! :D

The more you try to go faster, the higher the chance becomes to make mistakes (add non-existing graph here). Relax, be smooth, minimise mistakes and don a wide grin all the way tot the finish. :D

"You have to become de water.."

I was quite surprised to pull away from you in the second Imola race @Meers - you were faster than me in the first race until you ran out of fuel and I think out-qualified me for both of them? I did manage to get quicker as the night went on (a sure sign of not enough practice!) so maybe that's a factor. 

A little offline Barcelona practice for me last night. Didn't get within half a second of my old time which already looks slower than I'd like, spent most of it struggling to control the car at all, yep it's my typical new-track journey still! 

21 minutes ago, milko said:

I was quite surprised to pull away from you in the second Imola race @Meers - you were faster than me in the first race until you ran out of fuel and I think out-qualified me for both of them? I did manage to get quicker as the night went on (a sure sign of not enough practice!) so maybe that's a factor. 

Well the constant defending in the second race, and the fact that I'm an hour ahead made me feel gassed out so I started to get tired and lose my concentration. That's when I started to make slight mistakes of which you guys took advantage. I feel used! :quote:

;)

I relaxed a bit after you guys went past, but not for long because @SharkyOB closed in fast!

I'm going to have 3 cups of coffee (instead of 2) before the races!

24 minutes ago, milko said:

A little offline Barcelona practice for me last night. Didn't get within half a second of my old time which already looks slower than I'd like, spent most of it struggling to control the car at all, yep it's my typical new-track journey still! 

Still having trouble with the sausages at the last chicane? Raise the suspension to its max and you'll sail right over them!

52 minutes ago, Meers said:

Still having trouble with the sausages at the last chicane? Raise the suspension to its max and you'll sail right over them!

In a GT3?! That seems like a trap 🤨. But anyway, no, I was losing it all over the track, massive oversteer and pitch instability and general driving shitness. The last chicane is the least of my troubles in a way, I think the second sector is where I'm furthest from the pace. It's OK, every track I have to go through a session where it all seems impossible and why am I even playing this stupid game, and I'm sure it's the damn car I should've just chosen one of the popular ones that has lots of setups and advice online, blah blah. Then I reset (even thinking Safe setup tonight) and start over and it usually comes back to at least something acceptable. 

3 hours ago, milko said:

what's your laptime then, @SneakyNinja? Usually you say something like this just before qualifying third or better on the grid!

I seem to be getting more consistent but slower, going by my latest practice session. That's not quite what I was looking for.

Hehe, that's fair. In private practice I'm about 1:46 - 1:47, but there's loads left as I still occasionally get a corner right and make up 0.5s. I've been spending most time trying out other cars but keep coming back to the Aston as I'm so used to it now.

Starting to get really happy with my car setup, the mclaren for me was an understeery mess and I have spent loads of time tweaking the setup, which has been fun but only now starting to put in lap times.

I do wonder if I should have chose another car but playing with the car setup was fun.

Last night with a qualifying setup I was doing a once in a lifetime lap; every corner I had gained time, as I ran up to the Turn 10 hairpin I was -0.4 on my best time I had a decent braking and entry into the hairpin. But there was a stationary car on the track and had to slam on the anchors!

Lets just say there was some colourful language used at this point 😁. Subsequent retries where unsuccessful so it was just a fluke lap!

I knocked a smidge under a second off my time last night (offline, you'll just have to believe me), looking at the table that would move me up exactly... no places at all, whoop! At least I'm more in touch, I suppose. If I can work out how to repeat it. 

2 hours ago, Meers said:

Curses, @winky! Smashing time mate!

*shakes fist*

Haha I wouldn’t read too much into it, still need to learn drive fast consistently. And now I also get a pit stop to mess up.

Does anyone have advice (not necessarily strategies) for the endurance race and mandatory pit stop. Should I be setting up a no damage preset? Should I have a wet preset setup etc.

I assume the mandatory pit stop is in a window... what time and how long?

1 minute ago, winky said:

Does anyone have advice (not necessarily strategies) for the endurance race and mandatory pit stop. Should I be setting up a no damage preset? Should I have a wet preset setup etc.

I assume the mandatory pit stop is in a window... what time and how long?

I usually set up a 'if things are going right' preset which is just fuel, yeah. Can you even set one that doesn't try to repair damage? I always have to untick that on the MFD while driving, unless I've been a fool all along. If I'm feeling clever I might try and set a secondary one up for predicted emergencies with wet tyres. Never really feel like I've time to sort an actual wet setup out properly though.

We don't have a window, the pit opens during the first lap and stays that way. Maximum variability! 

• davejm changed the title to Assetto Corsa Competizione | Next Thursday: Zolder Sprint