IGNORED

"Is this game actually good?": Forum opinions on the next game you plan to buy

Jamie John

On 19/12/2019 at 13:04, Colonel Panic said:

Dragon’s Dogma or Greedfall?

I liked The Witcher 3, bounced off Dragon’s Dogma on release, love Souls games. 

Well, Dragon’s Dogma will be on of my top ten games of the decade and Greedfall won’t make my top 10 of this year.

I played Dragon’s Dogma at launch on the 360 and for me it’s got one of the best melee combat systems ever in a game.  The reason for that is physicality, the ability to grab, grapple, and hold enemies humanoid & smaller, and to climb larger enemies brought a new dimension to the combat that has yet to be replicated (that I can think of) let alone bettered.  Climbing a cyclops to try and blind it as it tries to knock you off or grab you is exhilarating.

It’s a sparsely populated world with few human settlements which are separated wilderness which only gets more dangerous once the sun goes down.  It’s genuinely dark except for the light from your lantern, and the world becomes more hostile at night with large creatures lurking off the road - sometimes even jumping you on the road.  In the original release fast travel was only available to certain items, one was in the main city & half way through you got a second to place where you wanted in the world.  So journeys had to be planned, but you were never alone.

The pawns were a great addition, an NPC companion you created, classed, and levelled up.  My character was melee based, my pawn (Quorra) was a magic user (the basic classes had a single focus, the advanced classes mixed as well, eg magic archer).  You could also hire another 2 pawns from other players or the dev created ones.  If your pawn was hired by someone they would earn XP & gifts would be sent back with your pawn.  The big trick with pawns, which again I’m surprised no one has copied as it’s quite simple, is they have knowledge of the world & enemies.  So if you’re somewhere new and a pawn has been there before in someone else’s game they might point out a hidden chest the other player found.  Or suggest a tactic to use against an enemy or a weakness.  As I said, pretty simple, but it goes a long way towards selling the pawn fiction.

The story the game tells us absolutely batshit, and gets even more so after the credits roll & you stumble into the second half of the game.  And I’m totally there for it.

Greedfall has an interesting premise, an RPG with an explicitly colonial theme.  I’ve seen reviews say it doesn’t address this and the developers say it’s just a theme, but it absolutely does revolve around this.  There are so many quests in the game, especially when dealing with other factions, which are explicitly about the effect or attitudes of colonialism.  I can’t even say it’s allegory, it’s straight up text, if anything is allegory the main quest line becomes allegory for environmental issues.  The game is at its best when dealing with the colonialism angle with how it directly affects your character and certain members of your party.  A lot of the voice acting is good, especially the female PC (she’s much of the reason I finished it), unfortunately a lot of what they get to say is bollocks.

There are some nice touches like the disguise system - using faction specific outfits to get into faction specific areas.  Not utilised enough imo.  The loading screen has a little camp level where you can converse with your arty members, swap them out, craft, & re-supply.  You get to wear a great tri-corner hat.

The combat isn’t up to much.  Regions are large with few points of interest, there is little variety in creatures and nothing much to find so once you’ve found a fast travel spot near somewhere you want to go you’ll never walk there again.  I think the dev team acknowledges how little of interest there is to do in the regions as every settlement has a fast travel spot in it.  This then has the added down side of a number of quests become talk to NPC, load, talk to NPC, load, talk to NPC etc.  They go too far with the it’s a world of greys & every faction has bad points as well as good points, so much so I didn’t like any faction really.  I liked some of the tribes but I did nothing beyond the first faction quest for both your main allies cause fuck those guys.

Overall I think they created an interesting world and had a good premised but absolutely squandered it.  This will sound odd but as a game dev I’m glad I played it, but I couldn’t recommend it to anyone.

Man, I wish I enjoyed Dragon's Dogma like so many others - and I completed it and then played half again on new game+. 

For balance, the travelling was a chore because there's little of interest (I can't even remember the loot, but I don't think there's much of it?) and it takes an age. Travelling at night - whilst dark - wasn't particularly dangerous. The plot was absolute dross and NPCs were dull. 

The pawn system was an interesting idea but it never really added as much as it felt it should. Even, as @The Bag says, they will occasionally find loot, they didn't do a whole lot else other than yabber on incessantly. And the 

Fhe combat had its moments - it could be quite intense at times - but playing as a mage could be quite thankless as big spells took an age to charge and, if I recall, were useless in the cramped area of the expansion dungeon. 

The only reason I spent as much time with it as I did was because, back then, I was all about the achievements and wanted to 1000 GS it.

It sold quite well I recall, but other than an online thing I'm surprised it never got a sequel. But I digress; I thought it was reasonable combat in a painfully dull world. YMMV. 

22 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Is Close to the Sun worth a fiver from the Epic store?

I'm playing the Switch version on and off at the minute. It's a walking simulator with a Bioshock asthetic. It seems a bit unmemorable, if I'm honest. 

• 3 weeks later...

Big train journey tomorrow. On the switch thinking of either:

Dragons Dogma (never played before)

Onimusha (I remember really enjoying this back on the og Xbox, but it might have aged horrible since)

Return of the Obra Dinn (was waiting for a sale on this, but is something I will definitely get eventually)

On 16/01/2020 at 20:09, therearerules said:

Big train journey tomorrow. On the switch thinking of either:

Dragons Dogma (never played before)

Onimusha (I remember really enjoying this back on the og Xbox, but it might have aged horrible since)

Return of the Obra Dinn (was waiting for a sale on this, but is something I will definitely get eventually)

What did you play?

Just now, Hanzo the Razor said:

What did you play?

Onimusha, it was the cheapest and also lasted the perfect amount of time. Really weird to go back to as well. I enjoyed it, but really missed a lot of modern QoL stuff. It felt like a super cheap budget Dark Souls precursor, with the worst camera known to man. Honestly it’s worth a trip down memory lane, and it’s short and sweet, but can’t hold a candle to modern gaming.

• 2 weeks later...

Tokyo Mirage Sessions, now on Switch.  I’m a huge fan of the Persona series, and I loved last year’s Fire Emblem.  Is this a game for me?  One of the things I like about those games is they aren’t just one thing, the dungeon crawling/battles are mixed up with the social/life sim side of things.

3 minutes ago, The Bag said:

Tokyo Mirage Sessions, now on Switch.  I’m a huge fan of the Persona series, and I loved last year’s Fire Emblem.  Is this a game for me?  One of the things I like about those games is they aren’t just one thing, the dungeon crawling/battles are mixed up with the social/life sim side of things.

Haven't played it myself, but seeing as it's essentially Persona mixed with Fire Emblem, from what I can discern, you'll probably love it.

33 minutes ago, The Bag said:

I'm a huge fan of it, I prefer it to Persona. There's no time schedule to keep and no social links, but I prefer the battle system. The story is a bit bonkers and apart from recognising some of the Mirages, it doesn't really have a whole lot to do with Fire Emblem, but the characters are great (apart from the lead, who's a bit of nothing) and it's a lot of fun. I'm playing through it for a second time, so it must be doing something right. 

• 2 months later...

Despite saying in the eshop thread that I wouldn't buy anything in this sale, Civilisation VI at £20-odd is tempting me. The only other Civ game I've played is IV, years and years ago, which I remember entirely consumed me for about a month before I suddenly lost interest. What's the Switch port of VI like? Reviews I've read vary in theirr reports of its performance, but I imagine I'll mostly be playing docked anyway. And how gently does it ease you into everything for someone with a limited attention span, like me? Is it accessible to newbies?

I got the Switch one at Christmas and the last Civ I'd played was Civ 3 so there was a ton of new stuff. The port is fine once you get used to the controls. The loading times for starting a new game or loading one are long but aside from that I've had no technical gripes with it.

But is it any good? Yes. But like you I get fatigued with these games and I have my second attempt on hiatus (albeit in the modern era with probably 50 to 100 hours play). There's still a lot of moving a few guys and hitting end turn unless you are very militaristic. But its fun and for 20 quid its a steal for what you'll get out of it. Also the tutorials are quite good, I picked up all the new aspects easily apart from religion which is quite complicated (and hence I haven't bothered with much).

The best thing though is the new system where cities sprawl out over multiple hexes. It really makes planning and choosing good city spots important, as well as cheekily nicking resources from where you know enemy cities will expand to. The game also looks great and diplomacy is notably more of a thing in this version compared to old Civs.

One final thing about it on the Switch, its perfect on handheld as you can just dip in for a few turns and put it to sleep.

13 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

I got the Switch one at Christmas and the last Civ I'd played was Civ 3 so there was a ton of new stuff. The port is fine once you get used to the controls. The loading times for starting a new game or loading one are long but aside from that I've had no technical gripes with it.

But is it any good? Yes. But like you I get fatigued with these games and I have my second attempt on hiatus (albeit in the modern era with probably 50 to 100 hours play). There's still a lot of moving a few guys and hitting end turn unless you are very militaristic. But its fun and for 20 quid its a steal for what you'll get out of it. Also the tutorials are quite good, I picked up all the new aspects easily apart from religion which is quite complicated (and hence I haven't bothered with much).

The best thing though is the new system where cities sprawl out over multiple hexes. It really makes planning and choosing good city spots important, as well as cheekily nicking resources from where you know enemy cities will expand to. The game also looks great and diplomacy is notably more of a thing in this version compared to old Civs.

One final thing about it on the Switch, its perfect on handheld as you can just dip in for a few turns and put it to sleep.

Thanks for the reply. Gonna go for, I think ^_^ Although I'm completely hooked on AC right now, so who knows when I'll actually play it.

• 1 month later...

I've finished Rise of the Tomb Raider and Jedi Fallen Order recently and liked them a lot.

Would people recommend one of the recent Assassin's Creed games, based on liking these? If so, Origins or Odyssey?

Origins has some slightly Tomb Raidery moments when you explore the pyramids etc but both of them are more like The Witcher 3 with added parkour and assassinating then either of those games.

Origins is great mind, finished it recently after spending  80 odd hours and thoroughly enjoyed it. Not played Odyssey but by all accounts it’s even more of the same but in Ancient Greece rather than Egypt  

3 hours ago, Dapple said:

I've finished Rise of the Tomb Raider and Jedi Fallen Order recently and liked them a lot.

Would people recommend one of the recent Assassin's Creed games, based on liking these? If so, Origins or Odyssey?

I've played both and they are both excellent though suffer from the usual Ubi bloat.

Of the two I prefer Origins because it definitely has more Tomb Raider / Indiana Jones feels. I also found it less grindy than Odyssey. However, you'll probably like both and ultimately it will come down to whether you prefer exploring ancient Egypt or ancient Greece.

Edit, I imagine Origins is a bit cheaper too.

• 2 weeks later...

Megaman X Collection is currently on sale on Switch, which includes X, to X4. I’m a sucker for pixel art/16-bit games and platformers, so I’m tempted, but every time I’ve tried a Megaman game so far it just hasn’t clicked. I’ve found them quite difficult, and thrown off by not being able to duck to dodge projectiles. I’ve never tried them for very long though.

Is there a chance I haven’t given them long enough, and I could end up loving them?

3 minutes ago, sdmilne said:

Borderlands 3 at under £15 in the Epic sale? Didn't seem to review that well but is it actually any worse than Borderlands 2?

It’s more of the same, really. Some bits are better, some bits are worse. It got slated for the story/poor attempts at humour, and rightly so, but I zone out during those bits anyway. Worth £15 if you have someone to play it with.

28 minutes ago, sdmilne said:

Borderlands 3 at under £15 in the Epic sale? Didn't seem to review that well but is it actually any worse than Borderlands 2?

Started it on 1X last week and have been enjoying it a lot. I'm a sucker for a looter shooter and with the dire situations of Destiny and Division at the moment, I thought I'd try this to satisfy my shootyman needs and glad I did. 

It's more Borderlands but prettier, the classes and skill trees offer loads of variety and the guns are fun. Not sure I'll hammer the endgame much but the campaign is worth £15 I reckon. 

Paulando is right about the story and 'humour' though, it's shit but I never have a clue what's going on in any of these games, I just follow the waypoint and shoot stuff. 

10 hours ago, Paulando said:

Megaman X Collection is currently on sale on Switch, which includes X, to X4. I’m a sucker for pixel art/16-bit games and platformers, so I’m tempted, but every time I’ve tried a Megaman game so far it just hasn’t clicked. I’ve found them quite difficult, and thrown off by not being able to duck to dodge projectiles. I’ve never tried them for very long though.

Is there a chance I haven’t given them long enough, and I could end up loving them?

Megaman games generally start out quite difficult, as you try different levels and begin to learn them before eventually making a breakthrough and beating one of the bosses. Once you've done that you'll have a power that can help you get through other levels and make one of the other bosses much easier, and when you beat that boss, another power, and so on. 

Also, the X games were the first ones that really clicked for me. They're probably a little more accessible than the main series and the boss and level design is a step up.

So you might enjoy them more once you make a bit of progress. But you'll still have to put up with the limited move set and you'll need some patience to get through the early stages.

• 3 weeks later...

OK this isn't a purchase as such because they're both on PSNow. I reckon I've got time for one more 'big' game before life starts returning to normal.

I'm looking at either Control or Dishonored 2. Both seem very well thought of here and elsewhere, but if you fancy batting for one or the other then please do. Will probably start on one or the other in a week or so.

46 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

OK this isn't a purchase as such because they're both on PSNow. I reckon I've got time for one more 'big' game before life starts returning to normal.

I'm looking at either Control or Dishonored 2. Both seem very well thought of here and elsewhere, but if you fancy batting for one or the other then please do. Will probably start on one or the other in a week or so.

I completed Dishonored 2 earlier in the year and thought it was ultimately a bit disappointing. It starts off really well but doesn't really change things up as the game goes on, and if you've played the first game, plus the DLC, it gets a bit fatiguing before the end. I think a lot of this is down to how I chose to play it, however, which was purposefully being as stealthy as possible and playing on the hard difficulty. If you are going to play it, I'd suggest doing the opposite of what I did: keep it on the default difficulty take a chaotic, non-stealthy approach instead, simply because it's a lot more fun to play around with all the ways they give you to murder people, and because doing it this way means you won't spend hours on end crouched on top of bookcases, waiting for guards to finish their patrol routes, like I did, which starts to drag after a while.

Control I own but haven't yet played, although I have heard it's supposed to very good.