Jamie John

"Is this game actually good?": Forum opinions on the next game you plan to buy

I’m considering Diablo 3 in the Switch sale. It’s a touch under £30 I believe. Some facts:

1. I love RPGs, dungeon crawling, looting etc, but I do prefer Japanese-style.

2. I prefer turn based, but I can be partial to a little action RPG gameplay as long as it’s not button mashing.

3. I’ve never played one of these ‘from above’ PC-style RPGs before, because I never fancied them.

4. But there’s only so many times you can be told this game is great before you need to try it for yourself.

Is it actually any good, then? Does it hold up, and considering the above, will I like it? Just don’t want to piss away 30 quid.

I could try the cart, I suppose :unsure:

@Paulando

I don't think you'll enjoy it.

You say RPG a lot in your post and Diablo 3 is not an RPG, it's a loot game.

Sure it has a story, but that's not the point. The idea is to hold down a button or two to kill things to get more loot. To kill things quicker. To get more loot. 

The dungeon crawling and looting isn't a part of Diablo 3 like it is in other RPGs. It is Diablo 3.

Good shout by @Gizamaluke to try before you buy

Edit: or buy the cart

• Upvote 3

I got bored of Diablo 3 on Switch about midway through. Just felt a bit pointless after a while. And making it harder didn’t appreciably ramp up the enjoyment.

@Paulando, I also didn't get on with Diablo 3. As @Gloomy Andy says, it's a loot game that comprises spending most of your time holding down one button to attack and occasionally pressing other buttons to do special attacks when the relevant meter fills up - definitely a button masher. Some people find it wonderfully cathartic and relaxing, a game to play with one eye on the telly, but I thought it was repetitive, tedious and ultimately pointless, like @jonamok. It felt like a triple A version of one of those FTP 'clicker' games you find Google Play. Thankfully I bought the cart so I was able to get my money back.

I haven't actually played it yet, but Divinity: Original Sin, or its sequel, sounds more like what you're looking for: a dungeon crawling (in places) RPG with real-time combat. Cheaper, too. Not available on Switch though, unfortunately. What about Darkest Dungeon?

• Upvote 5

This is why I rent games nowadays. It kind of forces me into being absolutely bearish towards most games if I'm "not enjoying them" - it just becomes the huge determining factor of whether I keep them on rental or not (basically, I think "if i keep this game for 2 months, I could have bought it with the rental cost = i.e. £30") - which makes me very clear as to whether I'm genuinely enjoying the experience. I get to play basically everything as it comes out, and find that some games linger around longer than others.

There's been occasions where I've re-rented a game to make sure based on what a forum or a reviewer says about it ("Maybe I didn't give it enough time?") - but on the whole it's made me trust my own instincts on what i enjoy or won't enjoy a lot more. So whilst the entire internet is screaming about how great Sekiro is, I'm currently (very happily) playing Far Cry New Dawn and blasting through it, knowing I'll chuck it back in the post in a matter of days after I've finished it... I'll no doubt get round to Sekiro at some point in the future, but that "must have it day 1" feeling has completely gone now.

Games aren't for life for me any more, it's massively great not having tonnes of bluray boxes piling up and staring at me making me feel guilty. I've also saved a shit-tonne of cash, (£6,000~ last count) - this is mostly why i fear our digitial-only future... I'll most probably quit games by that point anyway, so..

Edit: To answer the question, Far Cry New Dawn: it's the same game as all the others, very true, and the bad-ass'ness is boring to an extreme, but my god Far Cry games handle well, and it's a lot more _fun_ than the others. Just feels great and doesn't take itself too seriously. So I'd recommend it if you've not played a Far Cry for the last 3 or 4 games.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

I thought Ni No Kuni 2 was great, but it does come down to what you like in an RPG. For £10 it’s a no brainer. Cut your losses by trading it in if isn’t for you.

Is it better than the first? I enjoyed the first for a while, but it became a bit samey and the charm of it all evaporated once it was clear they'd skimped on all the nice talky bits only a few hours in.

8 minutes ago, Strangelite said:

but that "must have it day 1" feeling has completely gone now.

Same here. Not even looked at RDR2 yet for example. Am I bothered about it? Yes but I am happy to wait for a while... still so many other games to play TBH. Just started working my way through Bloodborne for example!!!!

I will pick up RDR2 at some point though..  good winter game this year. I'll keep an eye out for it in the digital sales this year. 

Decided to go all digital as of beginning of this month as I am trying to clear up physical clutter in the house! :) 

Think the way you have to look at games is you are paying for an experience.. once you have done with it you have had your value. Not fussed about selling games on anymore these days not really worth the hassle. I'll just play on gamepass or pick them up on the digital store later on when they get discounted on there.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Same here. Not even looked at RDR2 yet for example. Am I bothered about it? Yes but I am happy to wait for a while... still so many other games to play TBH. Just started working my way through Bloodborne for example!!!!

I will pick up RDR2 at some point though..  good winter game this year. I'll keep an eye out for it in the digital sales this year. 

Decided to go all digital as of beginning of this month as I am trying to clear up physical clutter in the house! :) 

RDR2 is a great example, I played it solidly for two weeks after I got it on a day-one rental, nothing got close to my console for those weeks. I was a bit obsessed, but as soon as I finished the story, I noticed a couple of games of Fifa creeping in, and then a game of something else, and then it was a chore to even consider booting the game up as there was only a couple of challenges and meaningless side missions to take on.. So back in the envelope it went, all in all it cost me about £7 quid for RDR2's charm to wear off completely.

I look at the people who pre-order the deluxe digital edition for 80 odd quid and think :unsure:

Also, if there's a game i simply must have day 1, I tend to buy it from a shop and e-bay it afterwards... which is a more expensive form of rental i guess. :D

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Strangelite said:

RDR2 is a great example, I played it solidly for two weeks after I got it on a day-one rental, nothing got close to my console for those weeks. I was a bit obsessed, but as soon as I finished the story, I noticed a couple of games of Fifa creeping in, and then a game of something else, and then it was a chore to even consider booting the game up as there was only a couple of challenges and meaningless side missions to take on.. So back in the envelope it went, all in all it cost me about £7 quid for RDR2's charm to wear off completely.

I look at the people who pre-order the deluxe digital edition for 80 odd quid and think :unsure:

Also, if there's a game i simply must have day 1, I tend to buy it from a shop and e-bay it afterwards... which is a more expensive form of rental i guess. :D

Actually might look at renting as an option for AAA third party games... Who do you use? Just had a look at boomerang they look OK....

Just now, MattyP said:

Actually might look at renting as an option for AAA third party games... Who do you use?

I use boomerang game rental, they're top tier £15.99 a month one is pretty decent. (two games, unlimited swapping for a month) - they do lots of decent customer support things too, like giving you free game rentals if someone goes wrong etc.. I really recommend them (and I'm not associated with them in any way! Don't want to sound like a walking advert)

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Strangelite said:

I use boomerang game rental, they're top tier £15.99 a month one is pretty decent. (two games, unlimited swapping for a month) - they do lots of decent customer support things too, like giving you free game rentals if someone goes wrong etc.. I really recommend them (and I'm not associated with them in any way! Don't want to sound like a walking advert)

Thanks will look into this!

Tempted by My Time in Portia as a chill out game on the Switch. Loved Stardew Valley and Harvest Moon back in the day, and it looks fun enough but if the controls are shit I’ll hate it. Is it out on other platforms, and if so how do people like it?

2 hours ago, Camel said:

Is it better than the first? I enjoyed the first for a while, but it became a bit samey and the charm of it all evaporated once it was clear they'd skimped on all the nice talky bits only a few hours in.

I never played the first. It seems a lot of people who liked the first tend to dislike the second and vice versa.

7 hours ago, MattyP said:

Just sell on the ones you have if your not playing them... unless they are digital of course... then at least you can't see them! :) (and so feel less guilty at having them laying around taking up space!)

I use the Hide functionality in my PS4 library so I can just pretend those games don't exist. Makes me feel less tragic for buying so much that I won't play (though there are demos, FTP and Plus games in there too)

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

I never played the first. It seems a lot of people who liked the first tend to dislike the second and vice versa.

2 hours ago, Camel said:

I love both. But I also managed to play through Sword Art Online Hollow Fragment, so I'm not the best judge. For this one they skimped on the voiced bits from the start, there are very few sections where you get full voice acting. But there are more varied mechanics. It is pretty samey all the way through though, I think I use these games as a comfort blanket because I know what I am getting. It certainly doesn't push any boundaries

8 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

I use the Hide functionality in my PS4 library so I can just pretend those games don't exist. Makes me feel less tragic for buying so much that I won't play (though there are demos, FTP and Plus games in there too)

I do the same for those games purchased in error

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

Aha! Good idea... luckily haven't bought too many titles on PS4 in digital format yet! :D Not currently a PS+ subber either so don't have many of those downloaded either. 

8 hours ago, MattyP said:

Just sell on the ones you have if your not playing them... unless they are digital of course... then at least you can't see them! :) (and so feel less guilty at having them laying around taking up space!)

The thing is that I do want to actually at the games I've yet to play, it's just finding the time. I got rid of PS Plus for this reason, though - I just seemed to be accumulating more and more crap and I reasoned that I'd be better off spending money on the games I actually want to play as opposed to spending it on the ones that came up on Plus.

• Empathy 1

23 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

The thing is that I do want to actually at the games I've yet to play, it's just finding the time. I got rid of PS Plus for this reason, though - I just seemed to be accumulating more and more crap and I reasoned that I'd be better off spending money on the games I actually want to play as opposed to spending it on the ones that came up on Plus.

:) Indeed think most gamers these days have the same issues.....  Always something new to play around the corner... 

Probably best just focusing in on one or two games max? Maybe an arcade style game and then a longer one for when you get more time to play?

Easy for me to say though.. .what with GamePass, Xbox Live Gold, PS4 games, Switch games, Steam games... hmmmm :D 

Although I can quite happily ignore most of them and not let the "pile of shame" guilt get to me. Way I look at it if I like a game I would continue to play it to completion. If not than I would stop and play something else. If the latter happens just ditch it altogether? Because you are not enjoying it.

Assassin Creed Origins on this months Humble Monthly sounds like a good shout?  $12. 

Playable easily with controller?   (Steam Controller?)

It's only a fiver at Sainsbury's so I'll get it anyway, but what's the forum consensus on Dishono(u)red 2? I loved the original. More of the same? I'm sure I read that the sequel didn't sell very well, so they're not going to bother with a third.

20 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

It's only a fiver at Sainsbury's so I'll get it anyway, but what's the forum consensus on Dishono(u)red 2? I loved the original. More of the same? I'm sure I read that the sequel didn't sell very well, so they're not going to bother with a third.

Dishonered 2 is the best game (almost) no-one played.

It’s so good it effectively has caused me to hate living in a world where something so fucking great will probably never see a sequel because the general video gaming public are terrible, terrible people.

There are parts of this game that make me pause and grin inanely at the sheer perfection of its level design.

Both games are great. I personally prefer the art style and game world of the first, but the second's basically as good. Play it as Emily.

Whereas I found the original fairly uninteresting in its fairly prescriptive "choices", and never really felt it delivered on the freedom it promised. Divinity: Original Sin 2 on the other hand...

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Pretty much more of the same, but I think the original has better level design, with one or two exceptions, and in a post-MGSV world the stealth mechanics have started to feel dated.

• Empathy 1

@Jamie John I’m a tad puzzled why Okami HD is on the abandoned pile and you’re considering getting No No Kuni 2.  They are different styles, but both are mahoosive time sinks.  With Okami HD the key is to set aside plenty of time for the intro etc as it’s a slow start with minimal saving. 

But yes they are different styles.  I loved No No Kuni but I couldn’t really get into 2 sadly.  Okami is one of the best Zelda games ever :lol:   It’s truly epic though, so a big time investment, but story and character-wise and in terms of pure feels, it’s way up there as one of my favourite games of all time (hence the avatar I’ve held for ~ a decade).

Thanks for your thoughts all re Dishonored 2. Like I say, it's only a fiver so I'll just add it to the next online shop I do. May even be able to get it with my nectar points.

@sprite, I posted about Okami in the Abandoned Games thread, but I never played it upon its original release and in a post-BOTW world I'm afraid to say I just found it a bit boring. Sorry :(. I did give it a good go but it never really clicked.

As for it being a time sink, I've got no problem with them if the game is worth it, but I couldn't see myself getting to the end of Okami. From what I've read as well, Nino is fairly short for a modern JRPG at 40 hours.

On 15/04/2019 at 07:40, Paulando said:

I’m considering Diablo 3 in the Switch sale. It’s a touch under £30 I believe. Some facts:

1. I love RPGs, dungeon crawling, looting etc, but I do prefer Japanese-style.

2. I prefer turn based, but I can be partial to a little action RPG gameplay as long as it’s not button mashing.

3. I’ve never played one of these ‘from above’ PC-style RPGs before, because I never fancied them.

4. But there’s only so many times you can be told this game is great before you need to try it for yourself.

Is it actually any good, then? Does it hold up, and considering the above, will I like it? Just don’t want to piss away 30 quid.

I could try the cart, I suppose :unsure:

I bought it but I still don't understand it.   You just wander around pretty but boring mazes pressing the win button.  It didn't even register as a game with me.

• Upvote 1