Jamie John

"Is this game actually good?": Forum opinions on the next game you plan to buy

Over the last year I seem to have played but then abandoned several forum and/or critically-acclaimed games that I've bought off the back of reviews or the relevant forum hype threads. To name but a few:

Spoiler

Dead Cells

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero

Rogue Aces

Okami HD

Night in the Woods

Ikaruga

Resident Evil 4

Iconoclasts

The Messenger

Mario+Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

NieR: Automata

Enter the Gungeon

Diablo III

Although a couple of these have been physical copies which I've been able to sell on, the majority I've purchased from the eShop or PSN, meaning that there's a good £100+ worth of games here at least that I've played for a few hours and may have got some enjoyment out of, but which ultimately I've abandoned. Despite getting most of these in sales, it still feels like a big waste of money (although I'm aware that the money I've spent on these games pales in comparison with the amount of money that some people spend on games that they never even get round to playing, let alone abandoning).

I want to be more discriminate with the games I buy, especially the ones I download, which is why I thought I'd make this thread, a place where users can ask for opinions on games from other trusted forumites before they purchase them. It may well just die on it's arse, and people may tell me to just look in the respective threads for the games that I'm interested in, but the people likely to respond to me in those threads are the people who have liked the game, as opposed to those who have abandoned it, so I won't get a balanced opinion. I know that I don't tend to bother reading the threads for games that I didn't enjoy.

At the moment I've got my eye on Moonlighter, which is in the current eShop sale. OpenCritic gives it a critical average of 82, and while the LttP style is attractive, the rouge-like elements make me a bit suspicious. Is it actually good? 

The other one I'm thinking about is Nino No Kuni 2, which is currently less than a tenner at Base.com, so I may just buy it regardless. OpenCritic gives it an 87 review average. I've not played the first, and although I enjoy JRPGs up to a point, this looks a bit cutesy and saccharine, although everything I've read suggests its lovely and charming. Is it actually good?

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

At the moment I've got my eye on Moonlighter, which is in the current eShop sale. OpenCritic gives it a critical average of 82, and while the LttP style is attractive, the rouge-like elements make me a bit suspicious. Is it actually good? 

I've played quite a bit of Moonlighter - it's definitely a roguelike with each floor of the dungeon having constant elements each time (like a health revival pool somewhere on each floor). The variety each 'run' doesn't feel huge and ends up just a hunt for the exit - each dungeon is three floors and can be reached in a short period of time, and there is a certain level of gating upgrades so you can't overwhelm the bosses.

The shopping aspect during the day is probably the biggest difference from other RPGs, on paper, but in reality this ends up being automated pretty quickly.

Im probably about halfway through and haven't played for a few months, but will probably go back to it. The story is pretty light and so it's good to dip in and out of. Indeed, one of the issues I had was one of repitition - it's can be pretty boring and aggravating to play in long sessions and the game never really grows into newer interesting playstyles or mechanics. I've definitely seen everything that it offers.

• Upvote 2

Given the calibre of some of the games you didn't get on with - I mean, not liking Resi 4? - then without knowing what you do like we can't really tell you what you might get on with.

Other than maybe you should keep away from Japanese games...

• Upvote 2

Am I right in thinking Jamie John isn’t into Super Mario World or Super Metroid? In addition to the Resi 4 abandonment, it begins to look like this maybe ain’t yer scene!

What games do you like, OP? Top 5?

Like the OP I’m steering clear of rogue likes now, after being burnt on Into the Breach (and to an extent Dead Cells- never loved movement as much as hating level structure in a game before). So Moonlighter was a hard pass.

• Upvote 1

It'd be nice to have a general thread of "here's what I played and enjoyed recently but I need something new" type recommendations that everyone can get in on - list a few recent favourites and then maybe discover some new things. :) 

I also find the "more like this" bits on digital storefronts helpful for recommendations aligned to your interests - well, sometimes.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, The Mighty Ash said:

It depends if its the kind of game you like. I bought Persona 4 expecting to love it, then remembered I dont like RPG's.

I adored P4, but while I completed 5 it was a bit of a slog and over-long. Some JRPGS I really love. FFXII, for example, was one of my favourites of last year. Most that I do play, however, I end up abandoning. The Bravely Defaults spring to mind, as do the Xenoblade games. I think if you're going to stick with any game for 40+ hours, especially a fairly linear, narrative-driven one like a JRPG, it needs to be bloody good. Most of the ones I play seem pretty juvenile and immature, often with stupid pervy bits, the Persona series notwithstanding.

@Calashnikov and @smac: to clarify, Resi 4 is one of my all time favourite games, or at least it was when I played it through a dozen times when it originally came out on the GC. I recently tried playing the PS4 version but found that it hadn't aged well and I could no longer get on with the controls. Plus I know it like the back of my hand and couldn't be done with finishing it again for the sake of it.

As for Super Mario World and Super Metroid, I was too young to experience these on the SNES when they first came out so I played them for the first time on the SNES mini. While I could definitely appreciate both of them and understand why they're so important, without the benefit of nostalgia I didn't find them that enjoyable compared with the more modern games that they influenced. I still completed Mario World though.

As for top five, off the top of my head, probably BotW, Shadow of the Colossus, FFVII, Mario Odyssey, Dark Souls.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

Off you say that about Mario World though as I can't think of any/many side scrolling platforms that have gotten so much right, Mario 3 is still my favourite, and I've not really played much of the New Super Mario games but the difficulty always seemed ramped up on those

• Upvote 2

I don’t really rate ni no kuni 2, I mean it’s not a bad game, I didn’t hate it, it has some good bits, and it looks nice, but I wouldn’t really recommend it.

For ikaruga, if you found it too hard, did you try easy mode? I keep banging on about this but I think the easy mode is really good and without it I might not have got into shooters in the first place.

I also buy a fair few of the forum darlings when they come out but these days I do so knowing they might not be for me.

Usually it'll be a Friday night, something has just been released that everyone's excited about and I can't be bothered to go out so I look at it for a while and then buy it for £25-30 (PC).

The most recent was Sekiro which I hadn't heard of at all until about a week before release. So far I've bounced of it a few times but have gone back a couple of days later each time. It is clearly very good but also very annoying.

Most of the games you listed are probably good. Dead Cells is a good example for this sort of thing. I bought it in early access thinking it would be cheaper to do that. I had a quick look but waited for the full release but still haven't played it properly. It is clearly very good but will I ever give it my full attention now? I don't know.

It doesn't really matter though. Everyone on here worries too much about their 'piles of shame' or the amount of games they buy but most of us are nearly 40 or more and I suspect we all have varying degrees of disposable income where £40 here or there occasionally (and many games are much cheaper these days) isn't that big a deal.

It does all add up of course, but so does everything. If I go out to the pub two or three times a month that might be about £75. I'm not worried about that 'dead' money I spend on beer or the extra few quid because I went to Sainsbury's instead of Aldi.

Games are pretty cheap. The only reason we don't consider them disposable or forgettable is because these days they sit on your hard drive or virtual collection forever, constantly reminding you that you bought them.

I've got over 10,000 songs in iTunes, I don't constantly look at them and fret that I haven't really listened to Little Creatures by Talking Heads as much as their other albums because I didn't get on with it as much. I spent a good £8.99 on that back in 1999 or whenever it was that I got the CD. Fuck knows how much other shit I never listen to that I spent good money on is in there. 

Ultimately, even if you only get an hour or so out of a game you paid £10 for, that's not bad really. Especially if you bought it to entertain you for an evening instead of something more expensive.

• Upvote 5

12 minutes ago, wev said:

Off you say that about Mario World though as I can't think of any/many side scrolling platforms that have gotten so much right, Mario 3 is still my favourite, and I've not really played much of the New Super Mario games but the difficulty always seemed ramped up on those

To tell the truth I'm not really that into 2D platformers. The only ones I can remember seeing through to the end in recent memory are Rayman Legends (which I liked a lot), Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and Slime-San (both of which nearly killed me). I finished Yoshi's Woolly World on the Wii U but didn't think it was anything special, and I ended up getting bored with NSMBU. Some will judge me a heretic for saying so, but every 3D Mario I've played I've enjoyed more than the 2D ones.

I tend to prefer puzzle platfomers to normal platformers anyway, stuff like Inside and Braid or Fez.

To carry on my rambles - I'm feeling like I'm too old for most games these days but I still enjoy giving them a go. That's a personal thing, some people are well into them in their fifties, others lose interest at 20. I just don't have the attention span, or determination, for them anymore. I don't care enough.

Occasionally something will really grab me but it's rare. Celeste was the last game I played solidly for a week.

I still don't care about spending money on them though. My sister likes wine and probably spends £50 a week on it. She's got much more money than me so it's relative I suppose but that still seems crazy to me because I'm not that into wine. Everyone has things they like spending money on that seem odd to others. For some reason many of us gamers still feel some sort of guilt for doing the same with our interest, which is relatively cheap.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

To tell the truth I'm not really that into 2D platformers. The only ones I can remember seeing through to the end in recent memory are Rayman Legends (which I liked a lot), Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and Slime-San (both of which nearly killed me). I finished Yoshi's Woolly World on the Wii U but didn't think it was anything special, and I ended up getting bored with NSMBU. Some will judge me a heretic for saying so, but every 3D Mario I've played I've enjoyed more than the 2D ones.

I tend to prefer puzzle platfomers to normal platformers anyway, stuff like Inside and Braid or Fez.

That's more than I've started let alone finished! I played and enjoyed Rayman Legends but it wasn't on par with Mario World or Mario 3.

Tricky really. Depends on the games you enjoy really and only you know that!

Way I do it is that I tend to have a mental list of the genres I enjoy and then just pick a few out to try now and again.

Game Pass has been enormously useful for me as I have saved so much money with this. Quite a few games I was going to pick up on Switch have appeared on this too.

It has given me the opportunity to try games I wouldn't have previously and make my mind up for myself. The only real investment is one of time mostly as GamePass has a flat monthly fee anyway. I have always found something to play on there. Lots of great little quirky niche games,  physics and logic puzzlers etc. So if you have an Xbox this might be worth a try? I'd say even if you don't have a Xbox one it's worth picking one up and taking advantage of the many cheap deals on GamePass at the moment. It's a cost effective way of gaming IMHO spent more time on GamePass supplied games than any others over the last year. Just me though!

Going forward I'm just sticking with game pass and buying the odd  third  party  game  that  appeals outside of this!

• Upvote 1

I play a lot of open ended games, so Destiny, Division, Sea of Thieves, Monster Hunter World, Bordelands, Heroes of the Storm etc

i find these days I just stick to what I like rather than hop around trying to play all the latest and greatest so these games just keep on giving me more of what I know I like, and they never really end.

Of course I complete bugger all these days but I know I’m going to be having an experience I’ll love, and usually sharing that good time with friends.

3 hours ago, Jamie John said:

As for top five, off the top of my head, probably BotW, Shadow of the Colossus, FFVII, Mario Odyssey, Dark Souls. 

You done Horizon: Zero Dawn?

3 hours ago, spatular said:

I don’t really rate ni no kuni 2, I mean it’s not a bad game, I didn’t hate it, it has some good bits, and it looks nice, but I wouldn’t really recommend it.

For ikaruga, if you found it too hard, did you try easy mode? I keep banging on about this but I think the easy mode is really good and without it I might not have got into shooters in the first place.

I did try it on easy mode but I still didn't really enjoy it. If it had instant restarts and I could resume from closer to where I died then I may have stuck with it, but as it is it just felt a bit slow. I posted about it in the abandoned games thread and lots of people told me it's not the best shooter to start with. I don't really think shooters are my thing, though, although perhaps I just haven't found one that I truly like.

46 minutes ago, smac said:

You done Horizon: Zero Dawn?

Yep. Liked it.

Anyway, I feel sufficiently warned off Moonlighter now. Anyone have any further thoughts on Nino?

Quick question. Perusing the backward compatible Xbox 360 games in the Easter Xbox sale.

Are the Tomb Raiders of that era still worth playing? If so, Tomb Raider Legend or Tomb Raider Anniversary?

Also Tekken 6 or Tekken Tag Tournament 2?

32 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I did try it on easy mode but I still didn't really enjoy it. If it had instant restarts and I could resume from closer to where I died then I may have stuck with it, but as it is it just felt a bit slow. I posted about it in the abandoned games thread and lots of people told me it's not the best shooter to start with. I don't really think shooters are my thing, though, although perhaps I just haven't found one that I truly like.

I'm sorry in a way that I was raving about Ikaruga and that this may have influenced the purchase. It is absolutely immense but only if played in a very specific way, ie. for score, and that probably only appeals to a minority, anyway. A lot of people who like shoot em ups don't even like Ikaruga because it's different to how pretty much every other shmup plays, and it's often criticised for being a 'puzzle' game.

I wouldn't discount the genre on the back of it, you're far from alone with this one. 

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

Quick question. Perusing the backward compatible Xbox 360 games in the Easter Xbox sale.

Are the Tomb Raiders of that era still worth playing? If so, Tomb Raider Legend or Tomb Raider Anniversary?

Also Tekken 6 or Tekken Tag Tournament 2?

Definitely Anniversary over Legend. Anniversary is a remake of the first (and best) game. I really enjoyed it when I played it on the 360, way back when, although a lot of that was due to the nostalgia I had for the original. If you didn't have that then you might find it a bit dated, perhaps. The level design is still excellent, however.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I did try it on easy mode but I still didn't really enjoy it.

nice one for giving it a good go :)

also i agree with Stanshall, don't let it put you off trying other shooters as it's not really representative.

53 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

I thought Ni No Kuni 2 was great, but it does come down to what you like in an RPG. For £10 it’s a no brainer. Cut your losses by trading it in if isn’t for you.

I'd echo this. I'm at the endgame stuff now after finishing the main quest and I've loved it. Am mightily relieved there is a good chunk of DLC to go at, as I don't want to stop playing. Endgame and DLC is more traditional grindy stuff as well which is a change of pace.

It won't be for everyone, but I'm at close to 90 hours so far. For a tenner, well worth a punt, but give it a few hours to get going.

The division 2 for me. Looks nice but my god boring and repetitive. There’s a reason most mmo are set in fantasy worlds where you can unlock suits of armour and fire swords. It’s a bit lame earning an epic rated baseball cap in this. 

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

5 hours ago, Vorgot said:

I'd echo this. I'm at the endgame stuff now after finishing the main quest and I've loved it. Am mightily relieved there is a good chunk of DLC to go at, as I don't want to stop playing. Endgame and DLC is more traditional grindy stuff as well which is a change of pace.

It won't be for everyone, but I'm at close to 90 hours so far. For a tenner, well worth a punt, but give it a few hours to get going.

Thanks for this, and to others who gave me their thoughts. I've ordered it, along with Monster Hunter World, which I couldn't pass up at £14, either. So much for my resolution to not buy any more PS4 games until I've finished the ones I have :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jamie John said:

So much for my resolution to not buy any more PS4 games until I've finished the ones I have :rolleyes:

Just sell on the ones you have if your not playing them... unless they are digital of course... then at least you can't see them! :) (and so feel less guilty at having them laying around taking up space!)

14 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

Tomb Raider Anniversary, yep. Tomb Raider Legend and Underworld less so, but they’re still half decent action/adventure games if that’s what you’re looking for. I loved them at the time, but they’ll have aged. Legend performed horribly on the 360 too, fwiw.

• Upvote 2