Earth Defense Force: Iron Rain.. April 12th (PSN - Digital Only)

MDY

This is out today..

£49.99 on PSN - but no physical release by the look of things..

Reviews from EDF fans seem positive overall.. far closer to the Sandlot games in gameplay than Insect Armageddon was, while bringing in new elements, a new character class, better progression, character customisation and improved visuals.. It's not as busy in terms of enemy numbers as EDF5 however (but the slowdown is still there.)

Not as long as the last few games but there's around 50 missions,  and it's reportedly pretty tough too..

Seems like it might be worth a look..

Aside from that, there's a nice interview here with people from Sandlot about the whole series.. 

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/features/2019/4/9/18300753/earth-defense-force-iron-rain-history

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 01/07/2019 at 19:42, max renn said:

Just started playing EDF5 after pulling the trigger at £13.99

It's great!

In case anyone's interested, EDF 4.1 is currently 50% off on the PSN store. Presumably to coincide with the PC release which is also 25% off (or something) at launch. They also appear to have thrown some cash at popular Twitch streamers to get it "out there".

I'll be interested to see some of the comparisons between PS4 (non-Pro) and PC for EDF 5. I presume it's going to come down to frame rate and consistent performance. Not like they're going to do an "ultra HD" texture pack for PC.

Edited by tyagi
Typo: I wrote 5 instead of 4.1 for the 50% off

It really quite lovely but I'm on pro. The graphics are solid and colourful and the frame rate is rock solid (which is a bit weird). The new enemies are great too although I'm missing the hectors. Honestly it's so much fun I'd recommend any EDF fans to pick it up.

17 hours ago, tyagi said:

In case anyone's interested, EDF 5 is currently 50% off on the PSN store. Presumably to coincide with the PC release which is also 25% off (or something) at launch. They also appear to have thrown some cash at popular Twitch streamers to get it "out there".

I'll be interested to see some of the comparisons between PS4 (non-Pro) and PC for EDF 5. I presume it's going to come down to frame rate and consistent performance. Not like they're going to do an "ultra HD" texture pack for PC.

Do you mean 4.1? EDF 5 is showing as £39.99 for me.

Weirdly 4.1 doesn't show a price for me, it just has a download link (on PS4). Does that mean I've purchased it previously (and forgotten like a big div)?

9 hours ago, Camel said:

Do you mean 4.1? EDF 5 is showing as £39.99 for me.

Weirdly 4.1 doesn't show a price for me, it just has a download link (on PS4). Does that mean I've purchased it previously (and forgotten like a big div)?

Yes, thank you. 4.1 is 50% off. I've edited my post now.

EDF5 is a tonne of fun.

53 minutes ago, Bobbi Champagne Jr said:

How is this compared to EDF5 specifically? I'm not enjoying 5 as much as the others, the pacing of the game at the start and the weapon progression seems really slow.

Iron Rain?

Don't think much of it TBH.. the environments are small, loot doesn't work the same and despite being similar in most measurable ways.. it really doesn't feel much like EDF..

I at least stuck with IA through to the end.. This? Got fed up with it about a quarter of the way through the 50-ish missions..

Two of the classes are locked off initially, weapons must be bought with 'currency' which comes in a variety of forms seemingly just to be annoying.. The interface for items is confusing, it's overly difficult at the start and your max health is severely limited.. You can't really farm the levels, as you only unlock new weapons for completing specific missions. They must be bought - usually with currency you've not earned enough of (or the wrong type of) on that mission.. 

The biggest issue is the general shooting just doesn't feel as good, the weapons - while there are several that are innovative and interesting, all feel (and especially sound) weedy.. 

While there's a nice variety in opponents.. they're not very fun to fight, there's nothing interesting about it visually everything looks pretty bland.. Difficulty is artificially increased both by the health cap and the fact that you can die VERY quickly if you're in the wrong place and your escape options are far more limited.

Oh and there are embarrassing, predictable outfits for the female trooper which unlock during the game.. The character models are ugly and your 'companions' aren't a patch on the regular confident to panicky EDF troops.. They've tried to write them in a similar fashion, but miss the mark.. There's just no spark or soul to it compared to the Sandlot games..

It's not all bad, but I'd rather see some of the better new ideas (the wire-riding bug rider class is fun, hidden unlockables on each stage, having a single use 'super' attack) incorporated into a future main EDF series game than them attempt to improve on this..

3 hours ago, max renn said:

I'm confuse.

Iron Rain is a different game to EDF 5 right? Which does everything extremely well in my humble opinion.

EDF 5 is £15.99 on PSN, everyone should buy it.

You mean 4.1, right? EDF 5 is £39.99 on PSN.

• 3 weeks later...

How on earth do I select local co-op (PS4) on Iron Rain?

:unsure:

Edit: apparently you have to complete some missions is single player first, quit the game and then load your save (not continue your last game or you will continue in single player mode). Only then you will see an option for co-op.