Disney Plus - Now with even more movies & TV shows

Goose

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/11/2021 at 22:13, Fierce Poodle said:

Anyone else watched Mr Inbetween? Just watched the first few episodes and it’s been pretty fun so far.

Done and dusted before D+ and it's an absolutely great show. Scott Ryan not only played the main character but also created and wrote the show.

On 30/11/2021 at 06:57, Festoon said:

Oh! The Last Duel is coming tomorrow! There's a nice surprise.

Just finished watching it, I thought it was brilliant, some of the best battle sequences since, well, Gladiator.  

I’m now seriously tempted to find the director cut of Kingdom of Heaven, I’ve read it immensely improves the theatrical cut (which I never got around to watching but heard was pretty awful).

31 minutes ago, sammy said:

Just finished watching it, I thought it was brilliant, some of the best battle sequences since, well, Gladiator.  

I’m now seriously tempted to find the director cut of Kingdom of Heaven, I’ve read it immensely improves the theatrical cut (which I never got around to watching but heard was pretty awful).

The theatrical vs the directors cut should be taught in film schools to show how important editing (and less Bloom) is to a film.

I think I am literally the only person in the World (Ok slight exageration but not much) who actually went to see 'The Last Duel' in the cinema & it really is an excellent film.  No excuses whatsoever not to watch it now it has been released on Disney+

8 hours ago, sammy said:

7 hours ago, Sabreman said:

The DC of Kingdom of Heaven is a masterpiece. I'd almost recommend watching the theatrical first just to experience the absolutely boggling differences it brings to the characters.

I also watched The Last Duel today, and it is indeed brilliant.

I have never seen in all my years of film watching seen a film so different when released as a Director's Cut. The DC of Kingdom of Heaven is a phenomenal film, the theatrical cut is an absolute mess. It is a prime example of the negative effects studio interference can have on a film. It turns a poor to middling popcorn action movie into a sweeping historical epic, worthy to stand alongside Gladiator.

It's been a long while since I watched either version, but some key examples, in spoilers because they are fundamental to the plot and why the difference between the two versions is so staggering:

Spoiler

The priest at the start played by Michael Sheen is actually Balian's (Orlando Bloom) half brother and had his wife murdered.

The lord of the town Balian lives in is Godfrey's, the main antagonist, brother.

David Thewliss character is given much more screen time as a guide and mentor to Balian which is fundamental to his character growth.

At her graveside, the priest mocks Balian and his deceased wife, including telling Balian his wife's body was desecrated and beheaded so she will never be allowed into heaven - this is why Balian snaps and murders the priest.

The biggest and most egregious omission, though, is a whole subplot about Eva Green's character, Sibylla and her son. In the theatrical cut she's nothing more than a love interest, a pretty princess who fancies Balian,  eventually they shag and then the next time you see her she's gone mad, chopped all her hair off and is going into exile for no apparent reason. You're left wondering how bad Orlando Bloom must be in bed to have such a disastrous effect on a woman. 

In the DC, though, we discover through an amazing performance, probably a career best for Eva Green, that Sibylla has a child whom she adores and is next in line to the throne when the king inevitably dies of his leprosy. However, she discovers, quite by accident, that her son also has leprosy, just like her brother. Rather than let her beloved child succumb to the illness and watch him rot away like her brother, she decides to mercy-kill her son. This then causes understandable grief and anguish which is why she goes a bit mad, cuts off all her hair and goes into exile. The only bit of this plot to survive the theatrical massacre is the bit where she goes mad. It also, however, hands Jerusalem over to her husband Guy and gives him the war he wants, condemning thousands to die.

As an addition to the above, another plot with Sibylla that's lost in the theatrical is why she supports her husband, whom she clearly despises and who is intent on starting the war with the Muslims. In the DC we discover it's because he has threatened to kill her son if she doesn't support him.

On 29/11/2021 at 22:13, Fierce Poodle said:

Anyone else watched Mr Inbetween? Just watched the first few episodes and it’s been pretty fun so far.

Never heard of it until your post, I’ve watched the first 2 episodes and it’s shaping up to be something a bit special. I love the main guy Ray and his relationships with his brother and daughter, it creates a stark contrast to how he does his day job.

Have to say Disney+ is easily earning its sub at the moment, so much good stuff on there.

20 hours ago, Waggo said:

I think I am literally the only person in the World (Ok slight exageration but not much) who actually went to see 'The Last Duel' in the cinema & it really is an excellent film.  No excuses whatsoever not to watch it now it has been released on Disney+

This was great, cheers for the recco!

I watched the first episode of Dopesick - damn, it’s really good. It’s peppered with lots of shocking true facts about OxyContin, the company and sales practices behind it and the legacy it’s had in American society. Really quite incredible stuff. So far, it moves quite quickly and has introduced a lot of characters who we haven’t been given a chance to know much about yet, other than Michael Keaton and the woman from Booksmart, and I think they only stick out in the memory because they’re recognisable movie actors - but there’s lots of great performances from lots of familiar faces throughout. Great stuff so far. 

I’m near the end of season 2 of Mr Inbetween, it’s an absolute gem of a show, destined to be up there with the likes of Better Call Saul and The Sopranos for me if it maintains this quality.

Driven by the main character Ray Shoesmith (played by show creator Scott Ryan - it is hard to believe that this is his only acting credit, he is phenomenal), a bouncer/debt collector/hitman working out of Sydney, it examines his work and its impact on him and his relationships.  It’s funny, brutal and very tender at times.  Each episode is only 25 mins long and you’ll know pretty quickly if it’s not for you. Season 1 was great, season 2 is incredible.

Give it a go, would love to see it getting some love on here 😀

11935E4E-0A2B-4E01-90A8-42CD61601791.jpeg.213348ab42c5a50fb6671a301847dba1.jpeg

1 hour ago, Festoon said:

I know lots of people are recommending The Last Duel - it's probably worth pointing out the opening is dogshit. Stick with it, it gets good.

I didn’t find that to be the case at all - where and in what way was it ‘dogshit’?

8 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I didn’t find that to be the case at all - where and in what way was it ‘dogshit’?

Just a mess of an introduction, with the boyos fighting together then fast forwarding without notice to the mate being the tax collector for Pierre and referencing Jeans inability to pay - it was all weirdly rushed through and poorly paced.

10 minutes ago, Festoon said:

Just a mess of an introduction, with the boyos fighting together then fast forwarding without notice to the mate being the tax collector for Pierre and referencing Jeans inability to pay - it was all weirdly rushed through and poorly paced.

On the contrary, I thought that pacing was excellent. Surprisingly modernist for Ridley Scott - and presumably for some of his audience! ;)

It did a very neat trick of simultaneously causing you to question what you weren’t seeing, while competently progressing the story. And this then paid off when you realise you are only being told a subjective version of the story anyway, and other versions will tell their own.

It’s nice to see a big budget film crediting its viewers with some critical acuity for a change I think, and even more surprising when you consider what a dogs’ dinner of storytelling House of Gucci is.

13 minutes ago, Monkeyboy said:

Agree. The beginning is not “dogshit”.

As I said in the film thread, I thought it was a disastrous start. I almost stopped watching (especially as it at first appeared to be Matt Damon just being Matt Damon, but with armour on), but the film gets better during Le Gris telling of the story.

27 minutes ago, Thor said:

As I said in the film thread, I thought it was a disastrous start. I almost stopped watching (especially as it at first appeared to be Matt Damon just being Matt Damon, but with armour on), but the film gets better during Le Gris telling of the story.

I had to keep the wife on track, as she was like, "this is shite, want to watch something else?" and I was worried it wasn't going to pick up. Thankfully it did.

5 hours ago, sammy said:

I’m near the end of season 2 of Mr Inbetween, it’s an absolute gem of a show, destined to be up there with the likes of Better Call Saul and The Sopranos for me if it maintains this quality.

Driven by the main character Ray Shoesmith (played by show creator Scott Ryan - it is hard to believe that this is his only acting credit, he is phenomenal), a bouncer/debt collector/hitman working out of Sydney, it examines his work and its impact on him and his relationships.  It’s funny, brutal and very tender at times.  Each episode is only 25 mins long and you’ll know pretty quickly if it’s not for you. Season 1 was great, season 2 is incredible.

Give it a go, would love to see it getting some love on here 😀

11935E4E-0A2B-4E01-90A8-42CD61601791.jpeg.213348ab42c5a50fb6671a301847dba1.jpeg

He’s definitely got that Tony Soprano thing of being a fucking nutter but you can’t help but root for him.

12 hours ago, gospvg said:

Have enjoyed watching Monsters at Work over the past week with the kids. It has the original voice actors for Mike/Sulley and some very funny lines.

It's nice, isnt it? The first episode seems terrible and it looks quite cheap but it's been a highlight of Disney+ by the end of it. 

Bonus points to the end credits music always being different. 

2 hours ago, AK Bell said:

It's nice, isnt it? The first episode seems terrible and it looks quite cheap but it's been a highlight of Disney+ by the end of it. 

Bonus points to the end credits music always being different. 

Starts off slow and I love Mike's comedy class.

Hopefully it will get another season.

Read spoiler once you have finished the season.

Spoiler

I love the cameo from the adorable snowman, wish they also had Boo.

Ron’s Gone Wrong (which is really good) is out on 15th December and then Christmas Eve sees Encanto (also very good) hit the service and that’s only been on in the cinema for a couple of weeks.

Surprised they’ve done that as there aren’t really any kids films out in cinemas at the moment.

Also on the 15th - all of Malcolm in the Middle!